Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jusme[_2_] jusme[_2_] is offline

Default Unique Need for Torx/Star bits.

Gunner,

I just replied to MM that I had found another way.

Just as a learning exercise, why couldn't one chuck up a thin cutter in a
vert. mill, and cut a slot length-wise, index the stock and do the same
until all sides finished?

That must be fraught with Murphies but I have to ask to learn or try it to
learn.

Thanks for enlightening me on how hard it is.

j/b
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:10:16 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Doesn't anyone have any information on how to make such an item? Is it so
obvious that I am overlooking it?

Thanks

j/b

Wellll...first thing you need is a nice 150 ton cold header or 50 ton
hot header.......
400 amps of 480 3ph
Inductive heater
Argon atmosphere heat treating oven

Just for a start of course.

On the other hand..a decent horizontal milling machine and the proper
cutter, with a good dividing head would do the job. But you would
still need the argon heat treating oven.

But you could do it with less power

Now a furnace and an extruder...not sure what that would require...

Gunner

"jusme" wrote in message
Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional 3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how
make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b