Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jusme[_2_] jusme[_2_] is offline

Default Unique Need for Torx/Star bits.

Don, good ideas, all. But, my need is for short Torx bits hence the need
for long Torx stock so that I could saw them for the length I need.

Thanks.

j/b

On 2007-12-29, jusme wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:54:01 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional
3/8"
down the length.

[ ... ]

Do you really need a Torx profile? What about pinion wire?
http://www.bostongear.com/products/open/pinion.html#

Ned, that is an excellent idea, especially their stem pinions. Now, if
the
d.p. is compatible with the size Torx bit and the price is right, it may
be
a winner.

You don't need the whole length splined do you? I would suggest
that you cut the pinion wire and mount it in a fairly tough 1/4" hex
stock. (There are 6" long hex stock with Torx on one end and the detent
ring on the other end to give a bit more length. And -- there are 1/4"
hex extensions of perhaps eight or nine inches with about a 1/2"
diameter socket at the end. If that 1/2" diameter is not too big, you
could simply plug several of these in series for a test setup at least.
Then recover the socket from the end of these and put it on the longer
hex stock (again if the 1/2" diameter of the socket is not a killer).
Or, get a bunch of the 6" long torx bits and silver-solder them to
longer hex stock.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564