Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking in Canadian bush

My buds and I drove 850 miles to Senneterre Quebec then the 120 miles of
logging roads into the bush to go fishing at:
http://www.senneterre-outfitters.com/index.html We have used this outfitter
for the past 5 years because the Pike fishing is good, they have hot showers
and as we get older it's impossible to meet the weight limits on fly-ins.
About 60 miles into the bush from Senneterre the coolant line going to the
rear heater in the Ford van got the perfect hit from a rock kicked up from a
tire, develops a gushing leak and overheats the engine.

While waiting for it to cool off we picked a few pints of wild Blueberries,
they are EVERYWHERE. Mmmm! Within an hour a couple of Canadians headed back
into town on a beer run stopped to help although they spoke only French. By
then we had removed the engine cover and traced the coolant lines and
planned a surgical bypass of the leaky system. I happened to have a hacksaw
blade in my tacklebox in addition to a tool box with basic hand tools. So,
there is my metalworking...cutting the steel coolant line. The rescuers of
course had a cooler full of cold beer for the trip into town and we all
toasted Canada and her wondrous fishing. It seems the language barrier only
added to the enjoyment and laughs. A couple of hours later they brought us
back a length of hose and some clamps that put us back on the road after
filling the radiator from a nearby lake.

I don't feel guilty for not being better prepared, I can't carry enough
spare parts and materials to foresee every possible situation. All I was
really lacking was a hose clamp and I could have fashioned one from some
lengths of 1/16" welding rod I have in my tacklebox and Vise-Grips. I think
the best plan is basic stuff and plenty of beer...Canadian beer, of course.

We had no more adventures although the weather was hot and the fishing was
fair at best with a few heafty Pike and enough Walleye for dinner and enough
fillets to bring home so our families will let us go again next year. This
was Canada trip year number 30 for us.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 02:04:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

My buds and I drove 850 miles to Senneterre Quebec then the 120 miles of
logging roads into the bush to go fishing at:
http://www.senneterre-outfitters.com/index.html We have used this outfitter
for the past 5 years because the Pike fishing is good, they have hot showers
and as we get older it's impossible to meet the weight limits on fly-ins.
About 60 miles into the bush from Senneterre the coolant line going to the
rear heater in the Ford van got the perfect hit from a rock kicked up from a
tire, develops a gushing leak and overheats the engine.

While waiting for it to cool off we picked a few pints of wild Blueberries,
they are EVERYWHERE. Mmmm!

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend your time during a
breakdown.

Within an hour a couple of Canadians headed back
into town on a beer run stopped to help although they spoke only French. By
then we had removed the engine cover and traced the coolant lines and
planned a surgical bypass of the leaky system. I happened to have a hacksaw
blade in my tacklebox in addition to a tool box with basic hand tools. So,
there is my metalworking...cutting the steel coolant line. The rescuers of
course had a cooler full of cold beer for the trip into town and we all
toasted Canada and her wondrous fishing. It seems the language barrier only
added to the enjoyment and laughs. A couple of hours later they brought us
back a length of hose and some clamps that put us back on the road after
filling the radiator from a nearby lake.

You guys really lucked out.

I don't feel guilty for not being better prepared, I can't carry enough
spare parts and materials to foresee every possible situation. All I was
really lacking was a hose clamp and I could have fashioned one from some
lengths of 1/16" welding rod I have in my tacklebox and Vise-Grips. I think

Take a spool of bailing wire next time. Wrap it twice around the hose
and twist the ends with a pair of pliers to form a perfect hose clamp
which will last for a decade or more.

We had no more adventures although the weather was hot and the fishing was
fair at best with a few heafty Pike and enough Walleye for dinner and enough
fillets to bring home so our families will let us go again next year. This
was Canada trip year number 30 for us.

Why don't you guys -fly- in next year?

--
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian,
or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...
http://www.senneterre-outfitters.com/index.html We had no more
adventures although the weather was hot and the fishing was fair at best
with a few heafty Pike and enough Walleye for dinner and enough fillets to
bring home so our families will let us go again next year. This was
Canada trip year number 30 for us.

Yeah, gloat, gloater. I'll volunteer to bring the toolbox next year...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 2, 8:00 pm, Larry Jaques wrote:

Take a spool of bailing wire next time. Wrap it twice around the hose
and twist the ends with a pair of pliers to form a perfect hose clamp
which will last for a decade or more.

Say, Larry. Where does one get a spool of bailing wire? Many, many
years ago I worked the back end of a hay bailer or two that used wire.
The wire came from a long cardboard tube and was straight as an arrow
till you put it into the divider board slots and it was pressed back
through the machine.

I haven't seen any new bailing wire in many years.

Best regards from Oregon
Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:00:27 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Why don't you guys -fly- in next year?

When something breaks

a) you have a lot less time to fix it;
b) there are a lot fewer French Canadians coming the other way; and
c) there are no blueberries.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 2, 10:04 pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
[...]

Was camping at stillwater reservoir in the adirondacks a few years
back- we canoed in several miles, and had one rowboat with a small
motor to carry most of the supplies.

Friend went out with the rowboat, came back several hours later
rowing. Engine worky, blade no spin.
His only words- "Dave, McGuyver it!"
Took it apart with the pliers/screwdrivers avail, sure enough, shear
pin broke, of course no spare.

With a chunk of hacksaw-ish blade, scored a screwdriver shaft until it
could be broken with pliers/jamming it in a rock crevice. Just the
right size, just had to cut off the flat part and cut to length.

There's nothing like being able to make do, is there?

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Friend went out with the rowboat, came back several hours later
rowing. Engine worky, blade no spin.
His only words- "Dave, McGuyver it!"
Took it apart with the pliers/screwdrivers avail, sure enough, shear
pin broke, of course no spare.

With a chunk of hacksaw-ish blade, scored a screwdriver shaft until it
could be broken with pliers/jamming it in a rock crevice. Just the
right size, just had to cut off the flat part and cut to length.

There's nothing like being able to make do, is there?

Next time, Dave, just take out the three pieces, move the middle piece (long
one) to one end, and re-insert the pieces.

Then, shift only at dead idle, and take it easy on the throttle -- and
you'll get home without busting a good screwdriver.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 21:05:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
snip
I was looking for some recently and found it at the Grange Co-Op.
It was "only" SIXTY BUCKS. It was, of course, a 100# spool, and, of
course, they would not sell me a portion of one.

Wally World and auto parts stores still stock it.

snip
===========
see

I got it for my home made hot wire foam cutter for lost foam
casting patterns. Is real handy for other jobs and wont rust.
Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:49:03 -0400, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Friend went out with the rowboat, came back several hours later
rowing. Engine worky, blade no spin.
His only words- "Dave, McGuyver it!"
Took it apart with the pliers/screwdrivers avail, sure enough, shear
pin broke, of course no spare.

With a chunk of hacksaw-ish blade, scored a screwdriver shaft until it
could be broken with pliers/jamming it in a rock crevice. Just the
right size, just had to cut off the flat part and cut to length.

There's nothing like being able to make do, is there?

Next time, Dave, just take out the three pieces, move the middle piece (long
one) to one end, and re-insert the pieces.

Then, shift only at dead idle, and take it easy on the throttle -- and
you'll get home without busting a good screwdriver.

LLoyd

Or look very closely inside the cover for the 3 spares mounted in a
little rubber holder fastened to the block. The ones that come with
every out-board.

Of course, if they were already gone, then thank goodness for
ingenuity and a screwdriver!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They bail in small bales still around here - big bales for those who
can tote them on a trailer but when pickup is the transport - bales it is.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
On Aug 2, 8:00 pm, Larry Jaques wrote:

Take a spool of bailing wire next time. Wrap it twice around the hose
and twist the ends with a pair of pliers to form a perfect hose clamp
which will last for a decade or more.

Say, Larry. Where does one get a spool of bailing wire? Many, many
years ago I worked the back end of a hay bailer or two that used wire.
The wire came from a long cardboard tube and was straight as an arrow
till you put it into the divider board slots and it was pressed back
through the machine.

I haven't seen any new bailing wire in many years.

Best regards from Oregon
Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 04:57:41 GMT, Trevor Jones

On Aug 2, 8:00 pm, Larry Jaques wrote:

Take a spool of bailing wire next time. Wrap it twice around the hose
and twist the ends with a pair of pliers to form a perfect hose clamp
which will last for a decade or more.

Say, Larry. Where does one get a spool of bailing wire? Many, many
years ago I worked the back end of a hay bailer or two that used wire.
The wire came from a long cardboard tube and was straight as an arrow
till you put it into the divider board slots and it was pressed back
through the machine.

I haven't seen any new bailing wire in many years.

Best regards from Oregon
Paul

Baling wire! Bales of hay! Bailing is what you have to do if you build
a leaky boat!

:-)

Look for black iron wire at the hardware store. I have even seen
spools of it in the Borg Depot stores.

Usually pretty close to the concrete tools.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Safety wire is better for the application. Often stainless. Better
than "mechanics wire" which is the black crap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. net...
My buds and I drove 850 miles to Senneterre Quebec then the 120 miles of
logging roads into the bush to go fishing at:
http://www.senneterre-outfitters.com/index.html We had no more
adventures although the weather was hot and the fishing was fair at best
with a few heafty Pike and enough Walleye for dinner and enough fillets
to bring home so our families will let us go again next year. This was
Canada trip year number 30 for us.

Yeah, gloat, gloater. I'll volunteer to bring the toolbox next year...

--
Ed Huntress

You have to play Dominos, cook some of the time, wash dishes some of the
time and snore with the best.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:30:13 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, F.
George McDuffee quickly quoth:

wrote:
snip
I was looking for some recently and found it at the Grange Co-Op.
It was "only" SIXTY BUCKS. It was, of course, a 100# spool, and, of
course, they would not sell me a portion of one.

Wally World and auto parts stores still stock it.

snip
===========
see

I got it for my home made hot wire foam cutter for lost foam
casting patterns. Is real handy for other jobs and wont rust.
Unka' George [George McDuffee]

Cool. I'll have to see if my local store stocks it. Stainless beats
rusted black wire any day.

--
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian,
or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up
to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.
--Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

My buds and I drove 850 miles to Senneterre Quebec then the 120 miles of
logging roads into the bush to go fishing at:
http://www.senneterre-outfitters.com/index.html We have used this outfitter
for the past 5 years because the Pike fishing is good, they have hot showers
and as we get older it's impossible to meet the weight limits on fly-ins.
About 60 miles into the bush from Senneterre the coolant line going to the
rear heater in the Ford van got the perfect hit from a rock kicked up from a
tire, develops a gushing leak and overheats the engine.

Years ago near MCAS Beaufort, SC, I had a piece of something kill my
radiator. Since the car was old and I lived in the barracks I kept all my
tools in the car.

I ended up using a 1/2" drive 1 1/4 socket to connect the upper radiator
hose to the lower radiator hose using the hose clamps that were on inlet and
outlet ports.

Then I removed the thermostat housing and poured some stream water in to
fill the block.

Then I drove slow, stopped often as the temperature gage rose to get back to
base.

Since as an E-3 at the time, I seemed to be permanently broke, I had to wait
for over a week until payday when I could go to a junk yard to get a used
radiator. In the meantime I drove the 2 miles from barracks to hangar w/o
the radiator working just fine.

If you ever have to do something similar, put the heater on max, fan on
high. It sucked in a South Carolina summer but it did get me a bit further
down the road between stops.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

clare wrote:
[...]

Agreed. But it's not readilly available everywhere.

I have accumulated a large selection of different safety wires, from
ten to forty thou, and IIRC one spool of fifty one thou. Some Monel,
some Inconel, and some just plain old stainless of unknown origin.

Black Iron wire is cheap, available, and easy to work with, and fits
the "Baling Wire" desctription better than stainless lockwire does.

I have actually used baling wire, too! We had a fair collection of
sections of prefabbed bale wires for a particular baler that had long
since gone for razor blades, when I was a kid.
The bundles were hanging on the shop wall, and were a ready source for
times that a piece of such wire was needed.

I have to imagine that it was a long hot day, standing on the baler,
feeding pairs of these wire sections into the machine to make bales.

Less work than loading loose hay, though, so it must have seemed an
improvement.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Gee, you want some SS wire? I might find some around here somewhere...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Floor sweepings don't count! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:06:51 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Cool. I'll have to see if my local store stocks it. Stainless beats
rusted black wire any day.

Gee, you want some SS wire? I might find some around here somewhere...

Yeah, you might at that, huh, Tawm?

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Now, the smaller rolls are called "tie-wire"--used for tying re-bars in
place before encasing in concrete---bldg supply stores should have it.
Jerry

wrote:
On Aug 2, 8:00 pm, Larry Jaques wrote:

Take a spool of bailing wire next time. Wrap it twice around the hose
and twist the ends with a pair of pliers to form a perfect hose clamp
which will last for a decade or more.

Say, Larry. Where does one get a spool of bailing wire? Many, many
years ago I worked the back end of a hay bailer or two that used wire.
The wire came from a long cardboard tube and was straight as an arrow
till you put it into the divider board slots and it was pressed back
through the machine.

I haven't seen any new bailing wire in many years.

Best regards from Oregon
Paul

News==----
Newsgroups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

or, do what we did as kids, when we broke (many times) the shear pin on my
uncles motor... find a dock, pull any old nail from said dock and stick it
in for a new shear pin... I am sure we were responsible for many dock
failures, on turtle lake in MN.......

darned kids....

bob in phx (who misses walleye pike!!!!!)

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:49:03 -0400, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 2, 9:34 pm, wrote:
On Aug 2, 8:00 pm, Larry Jaques wrote:

Take a spool of bailing wire next time. Wrap it twice around the hose
and twist the ends with a pair of pliers to form a perfect hose clamp
which will last for a decade or more.

Say, Larry. Where does one get a spool of bailing wire? Many, many
years ago I worked the back end of a hay bailer or two that used wire.
The wire came from a long cardboard tube and was straight as an arrow
till you put it into the divider board slots and it was pressed back
through the machine.

I haven't seen any new bailing wire in many years.

Best regards from Oregon
Paul

That's because farmers don't bale hay with wire anymore, does nasty
things to livestock innards. For hay baling they use twine of various
sorts. You can get plain iron wire in various sizes at real hardware
stores, the local True Value carries it as plain iron wire for
repairs. You can also get thinner stainless stuff at a premium. A
roll of the iron stuff has ridden in the tool box for as long as I've
owned a car. They use similar stuff for rebar ties, which is where I
got one roll of it, my dad picked it up off the floor on a job.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:17:39 -0700, wrote:

On Aug 2, 9:34 pm, wrote:
[...]

I use a lot of 19 gage, black soft iron wire, AKA tie wire, AKA stove
pipe wire. Perfect for hose clamps and general tying together of loose
items of like genre. I also keep a stock of 16 ga. and 9ga.
galvanized, along with misc. SS and Al. stock.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:17:39 -0700, wrote:

This "metalworking in Canadian Bush" thread reminds me ofan experience
over 30 years ago, let's call it "Metalworking on the African Veldt"

I was heading down from the Tonga Plateau (Macha Mission) in Zambia,
Central Africa in 1973ish driving a 1949 VW beetle.Heading back home
to Livingston and the Victoria Falls, when the engine sped up and the
car slowed down coming up a long low rise. Fearing the worst(lost the
clutch?) I let the car coast to a stop, and got out to check it over.
(still in gear). The right rear axle nut was turning - but that was
all. Turns out I had stripped the spline out of the brake drum.
After hitchihiking (and walking a good part of the way in 100 degree F
temps)about 10 miles to a friend's place, who towed me back with his
Kombi, we pulled the drum and found it beyond repair. He knew some
Canadian Catholic priests who ran a small trade school just other side
of Choma who were "VW Nuts" and had lots of old parts around. We
headed over and found an old drum - but not an old enough one. (1963 -
1,57 inch wide IIRC) The '49 was only about 1 1/16" wide so with a
hacksaw, hammer, and cold chisel we cut it down to size to make it
fit. Got me home,was still working when I sold it and came home in
'75, and for all I know is STILL there.

A (Canadian) friend about the same time had been to Malawi driving a
Land Rover and he broke a tie rod. He wired a broom stick in place
with fence wire scrounged from an old fence, and slowly and carefully
drove the vehicle back to civilization.

Just two of many "Zamfixes" I could tell you about from my years
teaching Auto Mechanics in Zambia in the '70s.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 12:08:06 -0700, "Bob in Phx"
wrote:

or, do what we did as kids, when we broke (many times) the shear pin on my
uncles motor... find a dock, pull any old nail from said dock and stick it
in for a new shear pin... I am sure we were responsible for many dock
failures, on turtle lake in MN.......

darned kids....

bob in phx (who misses walleye pike!!!!!)

(that's Pickerel to us Canucks)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
news
[...]

Weren't you afraid of getting hung up at a vehicle inspection station?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 3, 9:36 am, wrote:

Was camping at stillwater reservoir in the adirondacks a few years
back- we canoed in several miles, and had one rowboat with a small
motor to carry most of the supplies.

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Small world - I was in Big Moose just yesterday morning.

The last time I was on Stillwater, I would have given anything for
that rowboat and motor. We went in during a late afternoon
thunderstorm with the wind at our backs, and it felt as if we were
surfing. Coming back out a week later we had to canoe about 2/3 the
length of the reservoir into one of the heaviest winds I've seen
there.

Stillwater it ain't. Oriented east-west, with the prevailing winds
there from the west, it can really kick up. Great place, though,
isn't it?

John Martin
Cumberland, Maine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:12:01 -0400, the renowned clare at snyder.on.ca

wrote:

or, do what we did as kids, when we broke (many times) the shear pin on my
uncles motor... find a dock, pull any old nail from said dock and stick it
in for a new shear pin... I am sure we were responsible for many dock
failures, on turtle lake in MN.......

darned kids....

bob in phx (who misses walleye pike!!!!!)

(that's Pickerel to us Canucks)

I'm just disappointed that this thread wasn't about piercings.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The space under the seats has heater hose, the old fan belt that was
replaced before it broke, a few feet of heavy wire, a couple of
adjustable wrenches and a socket set. Le Manual de Useless de Chilton
lurks somewhere under or behind the seat. Warning triangles behind the
seat, along with extra oil, PS fluid, etc. The glove compartment has
pliers, screwdrivers, a spool of small wire, fuses, lightbulbs,
flashlight, and gloves.

On the 1976 Ford truck with a 6, a bit of time spent forming strap or
heavy wire into racks could have resulted in a bunch of that stuff
stored under the hood - a straight six in a space build for a big-block
V8 left a lot of room for quarts of oil, gallons of antifreeze, etc...
On the 95, the crap attached to the poor little straight six fills
almost all the space under the hood - I pity folks with a big-block V8
in this era, as it must be shoehorned in like a box full of cobras.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote in
:

snip

I'm just disappointed that this thread wasn't about piercings.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Ouch.... I think there was a quote from Red Green, something to the effect
of, "We try to get through life with the same amount of openings we started
with..... Words to live by

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 02:06:47 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ecnerwal quickly quoth:

[...]

If you want to see the epitome of shoehorning, go look at a new F-350
with their 6.8L PowerStroke diesel under the hood. Hayseuss Crisco!

'Course, a 260/289 under the hood of a 64-1/2 Mustang had that same
look.

In the opposite, my old '60 F-100 had enough room under the hood, even
with the 312 V-8, for me to climb in and stand (on the ground) on
either side to change the plugs. It was great!

Ain't nuttin' like Old Arn!

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 07:56:55 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Bill
quickly quoth:

Spehro Pefhany wrote in
:

snip

I'm just disappointed that this thread wasn't about piercings.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Ouch.... I think there was a quote from Red Green, something to the effect
of, "We try to get through life with the same amount of openings we started
with..... Words to live by

....which reminds me of this joke:

Heaven and Hell

An old lady dies and goes to heaven. She's chatting it up with St.
Peter at the Pearly Gates when all of a sudden she hears the most
awful bloodcurdling screams.

"Don't worry about that", says St. Peter, "it's only someone having
the holes put into her shoulder blades for wings."

The old lady looks a little uncomfortable but carries on with the
conversation. Ten minutes later, there are more blood curdling
screams.

"Oh my God", says the old lady, "now what is happening?" "Not to
worry", says St. Peter, "She's just having her head drilled to fit
the
halo."

"I can't do this", says the old lady, "I'm going to hell."

"You can't go there", says St. Peter. "You'll be raped and
sodomized."

"Maybe so", says the old lady, "but I've already got the holes
drilled for that!"

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
-- Johann K. Lavater
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 06:22:55 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

IIRC you had to either cut an access opening in the body metal, or
pull the engine to change the #8 plug in the '54 Monarch. Bear in mind
that this is hearsay only
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:20:34 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

wrote:

'Course, a 260/289 under the hood of a 64-1/2 Mustang had that same
look.

In the opposite, my old '60 F-100 had enough room under the hood, even
with the 312 V-8, for me to climb in and stand (on the ground) on
either side to change the plugs. It was great!

Ain't nuttin' like Old Arn!

IIRC you had to either cut an access opening in the body metal, or
pull the engine to change the #8 plug in the '54 Monarch. Bear in mind
that this is hearsay only

A whole lot of Mustang V-8 bodies got sent to the frame shop for a
front clip after people cut too large/too many a hole in the inner
fenders for tuneups. The 'Stangs were one of the first unibody
frontends and they disintegrated from the extra holeyness. Flatrate
(from the Ford Bible) was 6.5 hours to R&R the engines for a tuneup.
Har!

--
The ancient and curious thing called religion, as it shows itself in the
modern world, is often so overladen with excrescences and irrelevancies
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

'Course, a 260/289 under the hood of a 64-1/2 Mustang had that same
look.

In the opposite, my old '60 F-100 had enough room under the hood, even
with the 312 V-8, for me to climb in and stand (on the ground) on
either side to change the plugs. It was great!

Ain't nuttin' like Old Arn!

IIRC you had to either cut an access opening in the body metal, or
pull the engine to change the #8 plug in the '54 Monarch. Bear in mind
that this is hearsay only

A whole lot of Mustang V-8 bodies got sent to the frame shop for a
front clip after people cut too large/too many a hole in the inner
fenders for tuneups. The 'Stangs were one of the first unibody
frontends and they disintegrated from the extra holeyness. Flatrate
(from the Ford Bible) was 6.5 hours to R&R the engines for a tuneup.
Har!

One of the early T-Birds you had to cut a hole in the floorboard to
get to the rear passenger side sparkplug. Or pull the engine.

And to this day they build some cars where it's 10 hours plus of
work to change a simple heater core, because the entire dashboard has
to come out to get to it. And then go back in when you are done.

Ahh, if the world only learned how to plan aheaCR/LF
d.

-- Bruce --