Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking in Canadian bush

On Aug 3, 2:57 pm, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:49:03 -0400, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Friend went out with the rowboat, came back several hours later
rowing. Engine worky, blade no spin.
His only words- "Dave, McGuyver it!"
Took it apart with the pliers/screwdrivers avail, sure enough, shear
pin broke, of course no spare.

With a chunk of hacksaw-ish blade, scored a screwdriver shaft until it
could be broken with pliers/jamming it in a rock crevice. Just the
right size, just had to cut off the flat part and cut to length.

There's nothing like being able to make do, is there?

Next time, Dave, just take out the three pieces, move the middle piece (long
one) to one end, and re-insert the pieces.

Then, shift only at dead idle, and take it easy on the throttle -- and
you'll get home without busting a good screwdriver.

LLoyd

Or look very closely inside the cover for the 3 spares mounted in a
little rubber holder fastened to the block. The ones that come with
every out-board.

Of course, if they were already gone, then thank goodness for
ingenuity and a screwdriver!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Yeah, the pieces were ground up pretty good, and of course no spares.
Checked several places on/in the engine cowling, too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, the pieces were ground up pretty good, and of course no spares.

Hmmmm... that's really odd. There should be exactly three pieces (two short
and one long), and in perfect shape (except that there's three instead of
one).

Always kept spares in my tackle box, but used them ALL up in one afternoon
coming back from Lake Woodruff after a bad thundstorm filled Spring Garden
Run with lumber.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 7, 8:06 pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:
The space under the seats has heater hose, the old fan belt that was
replaced before it broke, a few feet of heavy wire, a couple of
adjustable wrenches and a socket set. Le Manual de Useless de Chilton
lurks somewhere under or behind the seat. Warning triangles behind the
seat, along with extra oil, PS fluid, etc. The glove compartment has
pliers, screwdrivers, a spool of small wire, fuses, lightbulbs,
flashlight, and gloves.

I have somewhere at home a book of cowboy humour, and in it
is a poem about a ranch truck. Long poem that details all the stuff to
be found in the cab of that truck. Hilarious. If I can find it I'll
post it when I get home.
You didn't mention the presence of a multimeter in your
truck. Most engine hassles are electrical and I don't drive my '51
International anywhere without the meter in the glovebox. Especially
since it has a Ford engine:-)

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Years ago I got lost on logging trails in Oregon.
I had no idea how extensive those things were.

No gas stations, no cell phone signal, no signs...yeah you've got to
be ready for anything

Sounds like it was worth it though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Gerald Miller quickly quoth:
Larry Jaques wrote:

'Course, a 260/289 under the hood of a 64-1/2 Mustang had that same
look.

In the opposite, my old '60 F-100 had enough room under the hood, even
with the 312 V-8, for me to climb in and stand (on the ground) on
either side to change the plugs. It was great!

Ain't nuttin' like Old Arn!

IIRC you had to either cut an access opening in the body metal, or
pull the engine to change the #8 plug in the '54 Monarch. Bear in mind
that this is hearsay only

A whole lot of Mustang V-8 bodies got sent to the frame shop for a
front clip after people cut too large/too many a hole in the inner
fenders for tuneups. The 'Stangs were one of the first unibody
frontends and they disintegrated from the extra holeyness. Flatrate
(from the Ford Bible) was 6.5 hours to R&R the engines for a tuneup.
Har!

One of the early T-Birds you had to cut a hole in the floorboard to
get to the rear passenger side sparkplug. Or pull the engine.

And to this day they build some cars where it's 10 hours plus of
work to change a simple heater core, because the entire dashboard has
to come out to get to it. And then go back in when you are done.

Ahh, if the world only learned how to plan aheaCR/LF
d.

-- Bruce --

my corvette is like this. you have to cut a hole to remove a plug, and the
heater core is behind the dash.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 10, 9:57 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Yeah, the pieces were ground up pretty good, and of course no spares.

Hmmmm... that's really odd. There should be exactly three pieces (two short
and one long), and in perfect shape (except that there's three instead of
one).

Always kept spares in my tackle box, but used them ALL up in one afternoon
coming back from Lake Woodruff after a bad thundstorm filled Spring Garden
Run with lumber.

LLoyd

Who knows what the PO used as a shear pin, evidently they went through
a bunch of 'em...

My friend is quite good at damaging things in new and interesting
ways. I suspect he tried to run the engine for awhile with it broken,
jamming it R-F-R-F at speed.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 7, 4:01 pm, John Martin wrote:
On Aug 3, 9:36 am, wrote:

Was camping at stillwater reservoir in the adirondacks a few years
back- we canoed in several miles, and had one rowboat with a small
motor to carry most of the supplies.

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Small world - I was in Big Moose just yesterday morning.

The last time I was on Stillwater, I would have given anything for
that rowboat and motor. We went in during a late afternoon
thunderstorm with the wind at our backs, and it felt as if we were
surfing. Coming back out a week later we had to canoe about 2/3 the
length of the reservoir into one of the heaviest winds I've seen
there.

Stillwater it ain't. Oriented east-west, with the prevailing winds
there from the west, it can really kick up. Great place, though,
isn't it?

John Martin
Cumberland, Maine

It was really nice. When we were there the water was quote low, and
yes, the wind is usually blowing to keep you there!

Dave