Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Metalworking in Canadian bush

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:17:39 -0700, wrote:

On Aug 2, 9:34 pm, wrote:
On Aug 2, 8:00 pm, Larry Jaques wrote:

Take a spool of bailing wire next time. Wrap it twice around the hose
and twist the ends with a pair of pliers to form a perfect hose clamp
which will last for a decade or more.

Say, Larry. Where does one get a spool of bailing wire? Many, many
years ago I worked the back end of a hay bailer or two that used wire.
The wire came from a long cardboard tube and was straight as an arrow
till you put it into the divider board slots and it was pressed back
through the machine.

I haven't seen any new bailing wire in many years.

Best regards from Oregon
Paul

That's because farmers don't bale hay with wire anymore, does nasty
things to livestock innards. For hay baling they use twine of various
sorts. You can get plain iron wire in various sizes at real hardware
stores, the local True Value carries it as plain iron wire for
repairs. You can also get thinner stainless stuff at a premium. A
roll of the iron stuff has ridden in the tool box for as long as I've
owned a car. They use similar stuff for rebar ties, which is where I
got one roll of it, my dad picked it up off the floor on a job.

Stan

I use a lot of 19 gage, black soft iron wire, AKA tie wire, AKA stove
pipe wire. Perfect for hose clamps and general tying together of loose
items of like genre. I also keep a stock of 16 ga. and 9ga.
galvanized, along with misc. SS and Al. stock.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada