Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Metalworking in Canadian bush

Larry Jaques wrote:
Gerald Miller quickly quoth:
Larry Jaques wrote:

'Course, a 260/289 under the hood of a 64-1/2 Mustang had that same
look.

In the opposite, my old '60 F-100 had enough room under the hood, even
with the 312 V-8, for me to climb in and stand (on the ground) on
either side to change the plugs. It was great!

Ain't nuttin' like Old Arn!

IIRC you had to either cut an access opening in the body metal, or
pull the engine to change the #8 plug in the '54 Monarch. Bear in mind
that this is hearsay only

A whole lot of Mustang V-8 bodies got sent to the frame shop for a
front clip after people cut too large/too many a hole in the inner
fenders for tuneups. The 'Stangs were one of the first unibody
frontends and they disintegrated from the extra holeyness. Flatrate
(from the Ford Bible) was 6.5 hours to R&R the engines for a tuneup.
Har!

One of the early T-Birds you had to cut a hole in the floorboard to
get to the rear passenger side sparkplug. Or pull the engine.

And to this day they build some cars where it's 10 hours plus of
work to change a simple heater core, because the entire dashboard has
to come out to get to it. And then go back in when you are done.

Ahh, if the world only learned how to plan aheaCR/LF
d.

-- Bruce --