Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob in Phx Bob in Phx is offline

Default Metalworking in Canadian bush

or, do what we did as kids, when we broke (many times) the shear pin on my
uncles motor... find a dock, pull any old nail from said dock and stick it
in for a new shear pin... I am sure we were responsible for many dock
failures, on turtle lake in MN.......

darned kids....

bob in phx (who misses walleye pike!!!!!)

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:49:03 -0400, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Friend went out with the rowboat, came back several hours later
rowing. Engine worky, blade no spin.
His only words- "Dave, McGuyver it!"
Took it apart with the pliers/screwdrivers avail, sure enough, shear
pin broke, of course no spare.

With a chunk of hacksaw-ish blade, scored a screwdriver shaft until it
could be broken with pliers/jamming it in a rock crevice. Just the
right size, just had to cut off the flat part and cut to length.

There's nothing like being able to make do, is there?

Next time, Dave, just take out the three pieces, move the middle piece
(long
one) to one end, and re-insert the pieces.

Then, shift only at dead idle, and take it easy on the throttle -- and
you'll get home without busting a good screwdriver.

LLoyd

Or look very closely inside the cover for the 3 spares mounted in a
little rubber holder fastened to the block. The ones that come with
every out-board.

Of course, if they were already gone, then thank goodness for
ingenuity and a screwdriver!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.