Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Metalworking in Canadian bush

clare wrote:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 04:57:41 GMT, Trevor Jones

On Aug 2, 8:00 pm, Larry Jaques wrote:

Take a spool of bailing wire next time. Wrap it twice around the hose
and twist the ends with a pair of pliers to form a perfect hose clamp
which will last for a decade or more.

Say, Larry. Where does one get a spool of bailing wire? Many, many
years ago I worked the back end of a hay bailer or two that used wire.
The wire came from a long cardboard tube and was straight as an arrow
till you put it into the divider board slots and it was pressed back
through the machine.

I haven't seen any new bailing wire in many years.

Best regards from Oregon
Paul

Baling wire! Bales of hay! Bailing is what you have to do if you build
a leaky boat!

:-)

Look for black iron wire at the hardware store. I have even seen
spools of it in the Borg Depot stores.

Usually pretty close to the concrete tools.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Safety wire is better for the application. Often stainless. Better
than "mechanics wire" which is the black crap.

Agreed. But it's not readilly available everywhere.

I have accumulated a large selection of different safety wires, from
ten to forty thou, and IIRC one spool of fifty one thou. Some Monel,
some Inconel, and some just plain old stainless of unknown origin.

Black Iron wire is cheap, available, and easy to work with, and fits
the "Baling Wire" desctription better than stainless lockwire does.

I have actually used baling wire, too! We had a fair collection of
sections of prefabbed bale wires for a particular baler that had long
since gone for razor blades, when I was a kid.
The bundles were hanging on the shop wall, and were a ready source for
times that a piece of such wire was needed.

I have to imagine that it was a long hot day, standing on the baler,
feeding pairs of these wire sections into the machine to make bales.

Less work than loading loose hay, though, so it must have seemed an
improvement.

Cheers
Trevor Jones