Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Metalworking in Canadian bush

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

My buds and I drove 850 miles to Senneterre Quebec then the 120 miles of
logging roads into the bush to go fishing at:
http://www.senneterre-outfitters.com/index.html We have used this outfitter
for the past 5 years because the Pike fishing is good, they have hot showers
and as we get older it's impossible to meet the weight limits on fly-ins.
About 60 miles into the bush from Senneterre the coolant line going to the
rear heater in the Ford van got the perfect hit from a rock kicked up from a
tire, develops a gushing leak and overheats the engine.

Years ago near MCAS Beaufort, SC, I had a piece of something kill my
radiator. Since the car was old and I lived in the barracks I kept all my
tools in the car.

I ended up using a 1/2" drive 1 1/4 socket to connect the upper radiator
hose to the lower radiator hose using the hose clamps that were on inlet and
outlet ports.

Then I removed the thermostat housing and poured some stream water in to
fill the block.

Then I drove slow, stopped often as the temperature gage rose to get back to
base.

Since as an E-3 at the time, I seemed to be permanently broke, I had to wait
for over a week until payday when I could go to a junk yard to get a used
radiator. In the meantime I drove the 2 miles from barracks to hangar w/o
the radiator working just fine.

If you ever have to do something similar, put the heater on max, fan on
high. It sucked in a South Carolina summer but it did get me a bit further
down the road between stops.

Wes