Jack Erbes

Default Please limit topics to metalworking

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:50:57 -0500, "Backlash"
wrote:

Dang, Jack, you're gonna make me crawl under the house? snip

Nope, I was just curious, I thought it was interesting. I'm sure I
can find it if I look for it.

I put all my coax cabling in place as the house was built so I don't
really need one. But if I ever wanted to add another outlet at one of
the existing ones I might look into something like you used.

I'm not real crazy about the rats next of devices, AC adapters, and
cords that might accumulate at the endpoints but it might be easier
than pulling another piece of coax into place.

There is a corner in the basement where the breaker panel is, it also
has a collection of cross connects, splitters, RF amplifiers, a 16
port hub, a DirecTV receiver, my DirecWay satellite modem/router, and
some other odds and ends that entertain me. It is called "Dad's
corner" but the wife never seems to understand how much she uses it
too. She cannot even plug a phone into a wall outlet without help.

Thanks for the details.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

extensive that you are all knowing and I,

He has had the benefit of being educated by watching the Simpsons. You
(and I) have been deprived of that "pleasure".

Ted

Yep! And to think of what we've missed! ;-)

I don't think there's anything like growing up to help you grow up. I
still enjoy (in very small helpings) the music of my youth, but find I tire
of it quickly. It's all a function of expanding one's horizons and
discovering that what was amusing as a young person suddenly has very little
appeal. Lobster, somehow, seems to taste better than a hot dog.

I can't tell you the degree of pleasure I have derived from listening to MJQ
(The Modern Jazz Quartet) now that I've grown older. I used to be slightly
put off by their cool, seemingly unemotional music when I was a kid, waiting
for them to sound like a rock band. I now listen in total amazement as I
hear the cool sound with hurricane force emotion in their subtle work.
Sadly, only one of them remains. Three of the quartet members died in the
past few years. A tragic loss to the original truly American music form.

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Gunner" wrote in message

St. James Infirmary

Wow!!! Killer good! Have you heard Red Garland's rendition?

Harold

Loren Coe

In article , Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 04:28:39 GMT, Gunner
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:10:40 -0800, "lane"
lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote:

I can say that, also, but I've had things happen that were at least
embarassingly painful. My first large bike (not very large) was a Suzuki
I fell over on my side just like the little Nazi on the tricycle

on the old "laugh-In" show. Lost my "cool biker" image instantaneously.

Also, don't ever try to tie your shoe while at a stop light. Same
results....... Lane

When I laid a Kaw 90 down in the street, I was very glad
to have a heavy jacket on. It spun the sleeve off which
polished about 5 layers of skin off my right forearm. The

..... was only going 35mph when I dumped it.

every rider has stories of low-speed accidents/incidents, from funny
to fatal. the most frequent ones i remember happen at shift change
in or around large company parking/gate facilities. a friend had his
ear torn off when forced over to the shoulder just before the start
of a railing that took off his helmet and ear, he was very lucky.

another was more serious, similar situation at plant near Littleton
Co. the guy on a cycle was waived thru just as the car on the inside
lane turned to enter the visitor area. he compeletly shattered both
bones in the lower leg (both protruding), and spent months in an
orthopedic ward. which place, btw, will really clue you in on the
dangers of motorcycles, a tour s/b a requirement for getting the mc
indorsement.

Old Nick

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:09:29 GMT, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:
When I laid a Kaw 90 down in the street, I was very glad
to have a heavy jacket on. It spun the sleeve off which
polished about 5 layers of skin off my right forearm. The

Ah! Leathers. Not my tale (I spent my days in an old army greatcoat),
but my mate's uncle and father used to race bikes back when..Vincent
HRD (?)...Indian etc. But They held the state bike speed record for
something like 20-25 years, up until maybe 20 years ago. Something
around 140mph.

....sorry. I knew them both well, and they were great blokes and a bit
of a legend in my young two-wheel days. They rebuilt their own bikes
and used to send argumentative letters to the Vincent factory about
exhaust design etc.

Anyway, these guys would ride races with t-shirt and sandshoes. Then
one day the uncle bought a full set of leathers. He fell off the
_first time_ he wore them, at around 100mph. He lost some skin off his
bum. He was really ****ed off about the new leathers though! G

************************************************** ** sorry

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Backlash

Bike crashes...memories...flashbacks...I got the right side of my chin
ground to the bone in '75, and scraped the right side of my nose. It melted
my face shield into a long stringy mess, hanging down to my chest. The
doctor left a divot in my nose trying to get the asphalt stain out, but the
chin grew back pretty well. Most people don't really notice it, or they are
too polite to say.

RJ
still riding

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 04:28:39 GMT, Gunner
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:10:40 -0800, "lane"
lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote:

I can say that, also, but I've had things happen that were at least
embarassingly painful. My first large bike (not very large) was a

Suzuki
SP370, a large street legal off road bike. It had the cleated foot

pegs.
Once, before I had a chance to get well used to the bike, I stopped at

street intersection, tried to put one foot on the ground, and was
critically
slowed down by the high friction pegs. I fell over on my side just

like
the
little Nazi on the tricycle on the old "laugh-In" show. Lost my "cool
biker"
image instantaneously.

Also, don't ever try to tie your shoe while at a stop light. Same
results.......

Lane

Second worse I ever got hurt on a "bike" was on an old Indian minibike
we stuck a McColluh 90 chain saw motor on. We figure I was doing about
75-80 on that gravel road when the front forks collapsed.

Hmmm, that explains _much_.
I know people with embedded grit the doctors never got out.

Michigan puts cloride and salt on their roads in the winter time, which
tends to encapsulate the gravel in a nice layer of stuff that really
really really really hurts when the gravel sands parts of your body
away.

When I laid a Kaw 90 down in the street, I was very glad
to have a heavy jacket on. It spun the sleeve off which
polished about 5 layers of skin off my right forearm. The
asphalt would have taken it to the bone. The lady in the
Cadidliac who pulled out in front of me stopped, so I rode
the bike into her rear tire with my rear tire. My helmet
(thank Buddha I had one on) hit her door and bent it enough
to break her window (which was up, it was raining), and I
was only going 35mph when I dumped it.

I want another bike. That was the only bad thing that happened
to me in 2 years of riding it. Perhaps something larger now...

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development

Jack Erbes

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:17:49 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Gunner (now listening to Grace Slick,...

Have you seen her lately? I wonder what she did to herself. It looks like
her face is on inside-out.

Lately? She is still firmly stuck in my mind as she looked when she
was in her prime. And I hope I still look the same as I did then in
her mind.

Now Michael Jackson. Grace Slick does not look like him, right?
Don't tell me if she does. I could not handle it.

The best description I have heard for Michael Jackson is that he looks
like the illegitimate love child resulting of Prince and Frankenstein.

JTMcC

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:17:49 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Gunner (now listening to Grace Slick,...

Have you seen her lately? I wonder what she did to herself. It looks like
her face is on inside-out.

Lately? She is still firmly stuck in my mind as she looked when she
was in her prime. And I hope I still look the same as I did then in
her mind.

Now Michael Jackson. Grace Slick does not look like him, right?
Don't tell me if she does. I could not handle it.

The best description I have heard for Michael Jackson is that he looks
like the illegitimate love child resulting of Prince and Frankenstein.

I can't say I care for Prince, but I do kind of like the original
Frankenstein movie.

And, the song "Frankenstein", by the Edgar Winter Group, is a true classic.

JTMcC.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:58:24 GMT, Gunner
brought forth from the murky depths:

Yup..over the years, Id get a pimple, pop it and DinK! a lil chunk of
gravel would pop out.

Years later I added cupronickel and steel to the collection. Doctors
love looking at my x-rays...sigh.

My buddy dumped his Yammerhammer teeny dirt bike (50cc bored
& stroked to 80?) on the freeway attempting to outrun a cop.
It seized at about 90 and took his right kneecap off. They
put a nicely machined plastic job in. He got into metalworking
and was a shop mgr for Tri-M Co. over in San Marcos the last I
heard of him. Another buddy's family ran Youngdale Mfg, hinge
manufacturers. They had quite a few very interesting shopmade
machines the punches, brakes, tumblers, specialty mills.
I hadn't thought about them in a coon's age.

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development

Harold & Susan Vordos

"JTMcC" wrote in message
snip-----
And, the song "Frankenstein", by the Edgar Winter Group, is a true

classic.

JTMcC.

Strange you should mention that one. In spite of my lack of love for hard
rock, I include that tune in my music collection. It's truly a work of
art. Sort of a jazz musician struggling to get out of a rock musician's
body it appears. :-)

Harold

Gunner

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:17:49 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Gunner (now listening to Grace Slick,...

Have you seen her lately? I wonder what she did to herself. It looks like
her face is on inside-out.

She missed 2 of the important steps.....

Live hard, die young, make a pretty corpse.

She did have a pretty good handle on part 1 though.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Gunner

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:26:28 -0500, Jack Erbes
wrote:

Have you seen her lately? I wonder what she did to herself. It looks like
her face is on inside-out.

Lately? She is still firmly stuck in my mind as she looked when she
was in her prime. And I hope I still look the same as I did then in
her mind.

Art imitates life:

http://www.fingerhutart.com/slick.htm

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Gunner

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:37:15 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

St. James Infirmary

Wow!!! Killer good! Have you heard Red Garland's rendition?

Harold

Y up...the three versions I have are Della Reese, , Joe Cocker and hummm
ah...er..Ill have to check. Might be Red.

Gunner, listening to Da Yoopers, "If I could fart like my dad" , with
Wierd Al "Osama bin Ladin Dead or Alive" up next.

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Old Nick

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:44:08 GMT, Loren Coe
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

and spent months in an
orthopedic ward. which place, btw, will really clue you in on the
dangers of motorcycles, a tour s/b a requirement for getting the mc
indorsement.

Hear here!

I am of the opinion that if any of my younger relatives want to get a
Motor bike, I will offer to beat them up with a baseball bat for half
the price of the bike and save them a lot of time and money. G
************************************************** ** sorry

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Old Nick

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:06:57 -0500, "Backlash"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Bike crashes...memories...flashbacks...

I don't remember the most spectacular one I had. Nor do I remember the
whole of that day. :-.

I was rear-ended by a drunk in a car whilst waiting to turn. No
skidmarks and probably 45mph. They had to tow the car away. Bike
wasn't too good either.

I had concussion (back of helmet looked like papier mache) and a
_very_ bruised back. I picked up my 750CC Honda 4 (I was told) and
pushed it to the side of the road. Then I ran around picking up the
fish and chips that had been on the back of the seat. Worried about
getting dinner home, apparently. Ah! We were bred tough in those days
G.

I think it was called shock.

I was really, _really_ .......lucky!

Anybody who used to reckon we should not have to wear helmets was
shown the pulpy remains of mine. I also have quite strong views about
drink driving and tailgating.

Not still riding.
************************************************** ** sorry

Spike....Spike? Hello?
Backlash

Whenever any of my young helpers through the years has asked me about riding
motorcycles, I take them out to the loading dock, get them to look down at
the asphalt parking lot, and tell them to see whether they like riding a
bike, they must duct tape their hands behind their back and dive off
face-first onto the asphalt. If they like it, they are biker material.

RJ

--
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me, instead of you."

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:44:08 GMT, Loren Coe
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

and spent months in an
orthopedic ward. which place, btw, will really clue you in on the
dangers of motorcycles, a tour s/b a requirement for getting the mc
indorsement.

Hear here!

I am of the opinion that if any of my younger relatives want to get a
Motor bike, I will offer to beat them up with a baseball bat for half
the price of the bike and save them a lot of time and money. G
************************************************** ** sorry

Spike....Spike? Hello?

jim rozen

In article , Backlash says...

Whenever any of my young helpers through the years has asked me about riding
motorcycles, I take them out to the loading dock, get them to look down at
the asphalt parking lot, and tell them to see whether they like riding a
bike, they must duct tape their hands behind their back and dive off
face-first onto the asphalt. If they like it, they are biker material.

If they are smart enough to don a full-face helmet,
a riding suit, boots, and gloves before doing so,
they might just survive the plunge. Your test is
pretty good at evaluting the impact damage that happens
when you stop, but better would be to drive along
with them the car, and ask them to climb out the window
and jump onto the asphalt while moving at about 50
mph or so. Hands need not be duct taped.

Jim

please reply to:

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Backlash" wrote in message
news
Whenever any of my young helpers through the years has asked me about

riding
motorcycles, I take them out to the loading dock, get them to look down at
the asphalt parking lot, and tell them to see whether they like riding a
bike, they must duct tape their hands behind their back and dive off
face-first onto the asphalt. If they like it, they are biker material.

RJ

Excellent advice as far as I'm concerned. I spent a few days in the hospital
back in '64 after being run off the road by a car. Long story, but I met
the asphalt with my head and shoulder. Luckily, I had a gut feeling about
wearing a helmet, which was almost unheard of at that point in time. It
kept me from far more serious injury, perhaps death. Lots of road rash. I
got back on what used to be a beautiful '63 TR6 Triumph a few times after I
had recovered, then I sold it.

Harold

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:49:12 +0800, Old Nick
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:06:57 -0500, "Backlash"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Bike crashes...memories...flashbacks...

I don't remember the most spectacular one I had. Nor do I remember the
whole of that day. :-.

I was rear-ended by a drunk in a car whilst waiting to turn. No
skidmarks and probably 45mph. They had to tow the car away. Bike
wasn't too good either.

I had concussion (back of helmet looked like papier mache) and a
_very_ bruised back. I picked up my 750CC Honda 4 (I was told) and
pushed it to the side of the road. Then I ran around picking up the
fish and chips that had been on the back of the seat. Worried about
getting dinner home, apparently. Ah! We were bred tough in those days
G.

Yeah, my arm hurt but all I could do was say "Look at my BIKE!"

I think it was called shock.

I was really, _really_ .......lucky!

Ditto here.

Anybody who used to reckon we should not have to wear helmets was
shown the pulpy remains of mine. I also have quite strong views about
drink driving and tailgating.

I have no problem with people who don't want to wear helmets.
Just have them tattoo "NH,NH" on both arms (in case the accident
takes the one with the tack) since they chose to go the route of
"No Helmet, No Hospitalization".

Heck, what am I talking about? I can't afford insurance anyway.
And if I'm ever in a bad accident, I don't want some arsehole
doctor spending a million of someone else's dollars trying to
bring me back--as a vegetable. I'm more of a fatalist. Since I
believe that we go around more than once, why should I care
what happens to this old body? Recycle it.

Soylent Green, anyone?

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:54:45 GMT, Gunner
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:17:49 GMT, "Ed Huntress"

Gunner (now listening to Grace Slick,...

Have you seen her lately? I wonder what she did to herself. It looks like
her face is on inside-out.

She missed 2 of the important steps.....
Live hard, die young, make a pretty corpse.
She did have a pretty good handle on part 1 though.

Janis Joplin got the first two exactly right. #3 is kinda
questionable. I never could drink Southern Comfort (eons
ago) without thinking about that randy gal...

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

Heck, what am I talking about? I can't afford insurance anyway.
And if I'm ever in a bad accident, I don't want some arsehole
doctor spending a million of someone else's dollars trying to
bring me back--as a vegetable. I'm more of a fatalist. Since I
believe that we go around more than once, why should I care
what happens to this old body? Recycle it.

Oddly enough it's more likely you won't need the
million dollars of someone else's money if you
ride without a helmet. Funerals are a good deal
cheaper than that.

The real money clock starts ticking when you survive
the trip to the hospital, and they start working on you.
You're much more likely to pass that gate if you have
a helmet on.

Jim

please reply to:

Jack Erbes

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:10:41 -0500, "Backlash"
wrote:

How do you like DirecWay? I hear it's expensive.

RJ

About $470.00 for hardware, I got the install down from $200 to $100
by doing all the installation myself and letting the installer just
aim the antenna. Then I pay $59.99 a month for service.

The new DW-6000 modem/router is much better than the USB modem I had
with the one way system . Almost a no-brainer in comparison.

It may be a bit of an issue for people that know and manage their own
networking and want it to blend in with their network.

The DW-6000 has to be the DHCP server, that cannot be disabled. The
rest of the network has to be adapted to the DW-6000. But that is
easy enough to do. Worst case, you may wind up with a server with two
NICs in it, one to talk to the DW-6000 and the other to be on the
network that was already there. I swear, the only people that are
more anal than machinists about "my way or no way" are network
"administrators"

The real bugaboos are latency (25,000 miles up and back) and the Fair
Access Policy or FAP. The FAP is hard to explain but it boils down to
that if are doing a lot of downloading you get throttled back. And if
you continue to download, you'll stay throttled back forever.

Throughput? I do not do any excessive downloading and I get around
100 KB/sec down all the time and about 1/10th or 1/8th of that up all
the time.

I get some weather (rain and snow) fade and some occasional absolutely
weird and not further explained anomalies that are cured by retries.

DirecWay is much, much better than the 26.4-28.8 kbps I get on my old
copper lines that are not-DSL eligible and will probably never be
upgraded in my lifetime.

Cable will be 240-300 KB/sec download all the time and about 10
percent of that up. For just about exactly the same monthly charge.

I'll probably be off DirecWay within a week or two and would not have
started it had the cable company told me when the cable was going to
be available.

I can get a good part of the hardware investment back by selling the
dish and modem/router to someone.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:54:45 GMT, Gunner
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:17:49 GMT, "Ed Huntress"

Gunner (now listening to Grace Slick,...

Have you seen her lately? I wonder what she did to herself. It looks

like
her face is on inside-out.

She missed 2 of the important steps.....
Live hard, die young, make a pretty corpse.
She did have a pretty good handle on part 1 though.

Janis Joplin got the first two exactly right. #3 is kinda
questionable. I never could drink Southern Comfort (eons
ago) without thinking about that randy gal...

Southern Comfort and Wink? Where in hell do you get Wink these days?

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message

. I swear, the only people that are
more anal than machinists about "my way or no way" are network
"administrators"

Would that include me, too? If so, I'm losing my touch! I figured it
couldn't be done! Damn those administrators. g

Harold

Loren Coe

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:
"Backlash" wrote in message

news
Whenever any of my young helpers through the years has asked me about

riding
motorcycles, I take them out to the loading dock, get them to look down at
the asphalt parking lot, and tell them to see whether they like riding a
bike, they must duct tape their hands behind their back and dive off
face-first onto the asphalt. If they like it, they are biker material. RJ

some nice humor here, more appreciated by us older generation, imho.

Excellent advice as far as I'm concerned. I spent a few days in the hospital
back in '64 after being run off the road by a car. Long story, but I met
the asphalt with my head and shoulder. Luckily, I had a gut feeling about
wearing a helmet, which was almost unheard of at that point in time. It
kept me from far more serious injury, perhaps death. Lots of road rash. I
got back on what used to be a beautiful '63 TR6 Triumph a few times after I
had recovered, then I sold it. Harold

yes, scarey, spooky, whatever you want to call it, i would react the same.
i did partially seperate a shoulder, but nothing really life threatening.

the one fatal incident that i was close to was a friend of a co-worker
who forgot his lunch and was doing a u-turn on his Vespa (sans helmet)
when he hit his front break (likely an oncoming car) and slammed the
cycle down on the birm of the pavement.

he hit is head and was killed instantly. speed? under 10mph for sure.
this is something like the way i hurt my shoulder. you don't touch
that front break unless the forks are absolutely straight. --Loren

Gunner

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:57:08 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:54:45 GMT, Gunner
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:17:49 GMT, "Ed Huntress"

Gunner (now listening to Grace Slick,...

Have you seen her lately? I wonder what she did to herself. It looks like
her face is on inside-out.

She missed 2 of the important steps.....
Live hard, die young, make a pretty corpse.
She did have a pretty good handle on part 1 though.

Janis Joplin got the first two exactly right. #3 is kinda
questionable. I never could drink Southern Comfort (eons
ago) without thinking about that randy gal...

I helped her finish a fifth in her dressing room in the Grande Ballroom
in 68, and again in 69 at the Cobo Hall.

Sudden Discomfort was what she called it. Hell of a woman. Messed up in
the head in many ways...but a hell of a woman. And yah..Randy.....G

Gunner

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Sunworshiper

On 4 Feb 2004 05:09:48 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Backlash says...

Whenever any of my young helpers through the years has asked me about riding
motorcycles, I take them out to the loading dock, get them to look down at
the asphalt parking lot, and tell them to see whether they like riding a
bike, they must duct tape their hands behind their back and dive off
face-first onto the asphalt. If they like it, they are biker material.

If they are smart enough to don a full-face helmet,
a riding suit, boots, and gloves before doing so,
they might just survive the plunge. Your test is
pretty good at evaluting the impact damage that happens
when you stop, but better would be to drive along
with them the car, and ask them to climb out the window
and jump onto the asphalt while moving at about 50
mph or so. Hands need not be duct taped.

Jim

Got to find a place to jump in here. No wonder I was never allowed to
have a motorcycle. I've heard of lots of friends with stories and
wondered why they would like being hurt all the time. My wife will not
let me have one just like my family did. My bro. has one of those lean
over HD that goes almost 200mph. and he doesn't like things I do. I
use to live next to a big time rice grinder road bike builder and
heard lots of bad things also. This guy looked like t-nut , it just
hit me when years ago his wife put up a picture of him and it rang a
bell. Personally I'll leave the high speeds to airplanes and cars.

The only bad run in with a bike for me was a time I was coming back
from the lake and a couple had a dead bike out in like 125F super dry
heat. I stopped to give them a ride into town and the dude wouldn't
leave his bike so I said lets put it in the truck. We at some point
are loading the bike and the guy lets his side go and the very hot
exhaust pipe burned into my bare leg before I let the bike go. I
started screaming at the guy why the %#%^& he let it go without
telling me. And he comes back with a whimpy "it was heeaavvyy..."
AH DA STUPID I says. I should have just heaved his bike off the truck
and left them there. It took years for that to fade away and every
time I looked at the 4" burn mark across my thigh I would hear him.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 04:05:37 GMT, Gunner

wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:54:45 GMT, Gunner
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:17:49 GMT, "Ed Huntress"

Gunner (now listening to Grace Slick,...

Have you seen her lately? I wonder what she did to herself. It looks like
her face is on inside-out.

She missed 2 of the important steps.....
Live hard, die young, make a pretty corpse.
She did have a pretty good handle on part 1 though.

Janis Joplin got the first two exactly right. #3 is kinda
questionable. I never could drink Southern Comfort (eons
ago) without thinking about that randy gal...

I helped her finish a fifth in her dressing room in the Grande Ballroom
in 68, and again in 69 at the Cobo Hall.

Sudden Discomfort was what she called it. Hell of a woman. Messed up in
the head in many ways...but a hell of a woman. And yah..Randy.....G

Oh, you DAWG! I didn't want to hear that. You got MY
fantasy. Damn. I was born too late for the best part of
the Free Love thing, but I thank Buddha I had a bit of
lovin' before AIDS, Herpes, and the untreatable syph, etc.
bugs hit.
Y'all think a titanium condom is doable? --metal content

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
jim rozen

In article , Sunworshiper says...

The only bad run in with a bike for me was a time I was coming back
from the lake and a couple had a dead bike out in like 125F super dry
heat. I stopped to give them a ride into town and the dude wouldn't
leave his bike so I said lets put it in the truck. We at some point
are loading the bike and the guy lets his side go and the very hot
exhaust pipe burned into my bare leg before I let the bike go. I
started screaming at the guy why the %#%^& he let it go without
telling me. And he comes back with a whimpy "it was heeaavvyy..."
AH DA STUPID I says. I should have just heaved his bike off the truck
and left them there. It took years for that to fade away and every
time I looked at the 4" burn mark across my thigh I would hear him.

My wife still has a burn mark on her calf from about 20 years
ago, "I TOLD ya the pipes are hot!!"

As far as the trailer incident above is concerned, anyone who
can't load a motorcycle into a pickup bed or trailer should
not buy a HD.

Jim

please reply to:

Loren Coe

In article , jim rozen wrote:
[...]

not THAT would be a trick, two guys loading a Harley into a PU bed(?)!
i think the brother had the HD. but exhaust pipe burns are yet another
dimension of mc injury not often discussed. passengers know about them.

my daughter and i crossed the Mojave into Needles (promptly dubbed,
Needless), CA, one June on a record heat day. against all common sense,
we had stripped down to bathing suits and bare feet (gawd it was
hot). we pulled into a park with a swimming pond and decided to cool
off. she really planted her right leg up against the pipes while
dismounting. we were already close to heat stroke and it took a moment
for the pain to register, pretty awful...

the final insult was that we froze our asses off in a rest area just
out of Flagstaff that same night. again, a record, LOW temp. --Loren

Loren Coe

In article , Old Nick wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:06:57 -0500, "Backlash"
Bike crashes...memories...flashbacks...

I don't remember the most spectacular one I had. Nor do I remember the
whole of that day. :-.
I was rear-ended by a drunk in a car whilst waiting to turn. No

skidmarks and probably 45mph. They had to tow the car away. Bike
wasn't too good either.
I had concussion (back of helmet looked like papier mache) and a

_very_ bruised back. I picked up my 750CC Honda 4 (I was told) and
pushed it to the side of the road. Then I ran around picking up the
fish and chips that had been on the back of the seat. Worried about
getting dinner home, apparently. Ah! We were bred tough in those days
G. I think it was called shock.

yes, but also a testiment to the mental facualties, crazy but determined.

I was really, _really_ .......lucky!
Anybody who used to reckon we should not have to wear helmets was

shown the pulpy remains of mine. I also have quite strong views about
drink driving and tailgating. Not still riding.

another wise man. this thread has made me think back, and wonder why
anyone who knows about machines and human interaction would ever consider
riding? my Dad, a construction lineman, discouraged them. and most folks
with real experience admitted to the dangers. we rcm'rs s/b smarter(!),
right? --Loren

lane

another wise man. this thread has made me think back, and wonder why
anyone who knows about machines and human interaction would ever consider
riding? my Dad, a construction lineman, discouraged them. and most folks
with real experience admitted to the dangers. we rcm'rs s/b smarter(!),
right? --Loren

I rode for a number of years until I broke up my knee pretty bad, about 13
years ago. I sold the bike as soon as I could walk on crutches. Haven't been
back on a bike since. The little bit of pleasure I got out of riding wasn't
worth all the pain and agony I went through. And I know I was lucky.

All I have to do is look at the 10" scar and it reminds me. The knee hasn't
ever been right since and never will be. Aches bad whenever I over use it.

Those that ride without a helmet are nuts!

Lane

Harold & Susan Vordos

"lane" lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote in message

Those that ride without a helmet are nuts!

Lane

I can't add anything to that! g

Harold

jim rozen

In article jsAUb.233452$na.372373@attbi_s04, Loren Coe says...

my daughter and i crossed the Mojave into Needles (promptly dubbed,
Needless), CA, one June on a record heat day. against all common sense,
we had stripped down to bathing suits and bare feet (gawd it was
hot). we pulled into a park with a swimming pond and decided to cool
off. she really planted her right leg up against the pipes while
dismounting. we were already close to heat stroke and it took a moment
for the pain to register, pretty awful...

The heat will make one do strange things. I recall stopping
at a rest area on the way to needles and blyth on a family
trip. We were in a land barge Ford LTD station wagon with
the AC cranked all the way up - and while we were having
lunch a young man drove up, in what was probably an mgb,
with the top down. I think he didn't realize how dehydrated
he was until he tried to stand up, and promptly fell over
by the car.

We poured him full of water and got him back among the living.

My memories of that trip included needles, blythe, and an overnight
stay in Yuma where the motel for some reason had the vestigial
remains of what I belive was a lockheed P80 shooting star
parked behind it. All the glass was broken out of it, and
the instruments and avionics were gone. But for a ten year
old kid to sit in a cockpit like that, pure joy.

Jim

please reply to:

Jack Erbes

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 08:01:30 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Art imitates life:

http://www.fingerhutart.com/slick.htm

Nope, that's not the one I remember. I remember her as a pretty
stunning brunette.

Jack Erbes

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:12:02 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
.. .

. I swear, the only people that are
more anal than machinists about "my way or no way" are network
"administrators"

Would that include me, too? If so, I'm losing my touch! I figured it
couldn't be done! Damn those administrators. g

Sure. Does your machine shop have a network administrator? If so he
may be more anal than you. :)

But we should not be talking like this if "D", "o", "N", is
listening. Maybe when you a network guy that is that knowledgeable
about computers and also an accomplished machinist, he will revert
back to a pretty much normal person?

Doug Arthurs

"Ken Davey" wrote in message

Kudos to the OP.
By bitching about off topic subjects he managed to generate a long, very
interesting and entertaining 'OT' thread.
Bet *his* shorts are in a real tight bunch by now (G).
Regards.
Ken.

As I read through this string I was thinking the very same thing. In an
attempt to stop off topic posts he's created the longest string of OT
posts with more changes in the topic (all OT) that I've ever read
through.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:12:02 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
.. .

. I swear, the only people that are
more anal than machinists about "my way or no way" are network
"administrators"

Would that include me, too? If so, I'm losing my touch! I figured it
couldn't be done! Damn those administrators. g

Sure. Does your machine shop have a network administrator? If so he
may be more anal than you. :)

But we should not be talking like this if "D", "o", "N", is
listening. Maybe when you a network guy that is that knowledgeable
about computers and also an accomplished machinist, he will revert
back to a pretty much normal person?

The concept of sound waves canceling one another? Yep, I see whatcha
mean. My problem is I'm only one wave, though! g

Harold

Backlash

It's the wild, wild internet, the new wild West!

RJ

--

"Doug Arthurs" wrote in message
news:edc67d3ff40730bc1072ddd99fc2cce8.122965@mygat e.mailgate.org...