pyotr filipivich

Default Is this just one of those "Secret" Machinist things?

Greetings and Salutations

Other day, I'm sent over to the Mori Cell in Bldg 1, and the first
thing Bob says is "Okay, clear off the granite slab, get a cup of coffee,
pour it on the slab and wipe it off."
?Wash the slab with coffee?
"Yeah, it cuts the oil from the Komo." [The Komo has spray and chip
issues. Even with shower curtains going up near the ceiling, it still
manages to fling chips on our rock. Bad Komo, bad.]

Anyway, I figure "WTH, he's been doing this longer than I..." and clear
off the slab, pour the coffee and start wiping. It works, too! And after
all I've said about building 1's coffee, you really _can_ use it as an
industrial cleaner....

So, is this just one of those 'field expedites' or just something
Machinists Know, which Engineers lack the hands on experience to know?

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Randy Replogle

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:25:55 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Oil or coolant? Probably any water based liquid would dissolve
coolant.
Randy
--
Randy Replogle

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine
spaco

I can't comment on the general usefulness of this idea, but the coffee
itself will leave a microscopic oily finish. I notice this when I wipe
out our coffee pot.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Eric R Snow

wrote:

[...]

Who gave you permission to post this secret? Man, nobody can be
trusted anymore. Now that you've posted this the Chinese are going to
flood the USA with cheap machine tools!
ERS
--
pyotr filipivich.

Jeff Wisnia

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

I'd say it'd be better if you used Coca Cola. The carbonic acid has a
better chance of cutting that oil film. Followed by a water wipe to get
rid of any sticky sugar.

Before the daze of windshield washers on vehicles I used to see guys at
truck stops buy a (glass) bottle of Coca Cola, put their thumb over the
opening, shake it up and let some squirt onto their truck windshields,
then drink the remainder of the bottle while they were wiping off the
glass with free paper towels. I tried it and it did seem to work.

Those were also the days when some girls believed the same shake and
squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an effective post-coital
spermacidal douche. (That's more than you needed to know I guess....)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Gunner Asch

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:39:44 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Use diet, as the sugar leaves a film.

Those were also the days when some girls believed the same shake and
squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an effective post-coital
spermacidal douche. (That's more than you needed to know I guess....)

Jeff

NEVER use a cold one for this..ever.

Gunner, pondering memories.......

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

You're right, I should have added that I was still living in
Cal-ee-fornia then, where the temperature never dropped to freezing and
the "coolant" in our cars was just plain water. Every service station
had water hoses which pulled up out of a hole in the pavement at the end
of each pump island and a quick splash from one of those could be used
to wash the Coke off the windshield after it had done it's job. A tire
filling air hose pulled up out of the same location too.

When I worked as a pump jockey during high school, that was the way we
cleaned customer's windshields, a splash from the water hose followed by
a wipe with a squeegee. We also had to check the air in all four tires
most of the time, the oil and water levels, and even use a whisk broom
to flip sand off the front floor mats. That's what "Full Service" meant
back then. Nowadays what you get is more like the "service" a farmer
brings his cows to a bull for. :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Leo Lichtman

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: ( clip) Those were also the days when some girls
believed the same shake and squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an
effective post-coital spermacidal douche. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your tag line is very appropriate for that one. Remember Dr. Whatzisname's
book, "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex"? That birth control
method was recommended in his book, which is one of the reasons it fell into
disfavor rather quickly.

Don Bruder

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Those were also the days when some girls believed the same shake and
squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an effective post-coital
spermacidal douche. (That's more than you needed to know I guess....)

Jeff

Erm... Jeff?
Some places I've encountered, that one's still floating around, alive
and kicking (Wording intentional ) after all these years - despite
the efforts at education. sigh What can you do? You buy 'em books and
send 'em to school, and next thing you know they're using the books as
fuel to fire the kettle where they're trying to boil the teacher with
carrots, onions, and taters!

"It's taking longer than we thought..."

shudder
The terrifying part is how close to true that is in some places...

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info

I also worked as a pump jockey just out of high school ( I prefer the
title "Petroleum Transfer Engineer"). The station was just outside
of Beverly Hills on Santa Monica Blvd, and in 1970 we did the full
service routine. One day some rich ******* pulled up in his El Dorado
(most Beverly Hills attorneys drove them) and as I was washing his
windshield, he insisted I get inside his car and wash the inside of the
glass! I had been working in the station garage, and unknown to me, I
had grease on my butt. Well, when I got out of his car there was a big
black streak across the Caddy's cloth seat. He got mad and told me
to clean it off, so I sprayed my windshield cleaner on the seat and
rubbed it in with my, you guessed it, oily rag. No tip that day.
*******!

Ed Ferguson

Nick Müller

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Remember Dr. Whatzisname's
book, "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex"?

Woody Allen is a doctor?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Gunner Asch wrote back on
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:02:29 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

BWahahahaha! Evil grin and all that ....

pyotr

"No, I don't know about this; I just read a lot. Yeah, that's the ticket.
'I just read a lot.'"

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Don Bruder wrote back on Sun,
30 Oct 2005 20:26:42 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Those were also the days when some girls believed the same shake and
squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an effective post-coital
spermacidal douche. (That's more than you needed to know I guess....)

Jeff

Erm... Jeff?
Some places I've encountered, that one's still floating around, alive
and kicking (Wording intentional

The "scarey" thing is that while the efficaciousness of carbonated
colas as a post coital contraceptive douche is oft exaggerated, I recall
reading of Yet Another Study which did determine that A) colas aren't very
good contraceptives, but B) Coca Cola is the best at it. Meaning that Coke
does a less bad job of thwarting the little wrigglers than Pepsi, Dr
Pepper, Moxie, tab or Brand X.

At least it is a better idea that the girl who ran out of contraceptive
jelly and substituted grape ...

"It's taking longer than we thought..."

It's starting to take me all night to do what I used to do all night...

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
The Davenport's

Those were also the days when some girls believed the same shake and
squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an effective post-coital
spermacidal douche. (That's more than you needed to know I guess....)

Jeff

I can't and won't speak as to the effectiveness of using coke POST-coital,
but it makes for some, shall we say, "interesting", feelings if used
PRE-coital.

PopRocks and oral sex works, too

No...no metal content at all...none.

Mike

The Davenport's

At least it is a better idea that the girl who ran out of contraceptive
jelly and substituted grape ...

I suspect the grape tastes a lot better, tho

Mike

Jeff Wisnia

Don Bruder wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Or then there's the (true... What a depressingly amusing thought...)
young lady who went to the pharmacy, get contraceptive jelly, used it
every time she had sex, and caught a case of pregnant within a few
weeks. She sued, and in court, it was revealed that she had done what
any intelligent person would do with jelly - She'd put it on toast and
eaten it.

I can't remember if the case was tossed or not, though if I'd been the
judge, you can bet it would have not only been tossed, but frivolous
lawsuit charges would have been considered.

"It's taking longer than we thought..."

It's starting to take me all night to do what I used to do all night...

Actually, I was referring to someone's (Danged if I can remember who -
might even be somebody posting here) "Organization" header on their
messages - I believe it goes something like this in it's full form:
"Fighting stupidity one idiot at a time. It's taking longer than we
thought..."

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Don Bruder

In article ,
"The Davenport's" wrote:

Those were also the days when some girls believed the same shake and
squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an effective post-coital
spermacidal douche. (That's more than you needed to know I guess....)

Jeff

I can't and won't speak as to the effectiveness of using coke POST-coital,
but it makes for some, shall we say, "interesting", feelings if used
PRE-coital.

PopRocks and oral sex works, too

No...no metal content at all...none.

Mike

What? Don't dental fillings count as metal content?

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Jeff Wisnia

Don Bruder wrote:

"It's taking longer than we thought..."

It's starting to take me all night to do what I used to do all night...

Yes, four times a night has definitely taken on a different meaning for
me now.

Actually, I was referring to someone's (Danged if I can remember who -
might even be somebody posting here) "Organization" header on their
messages - I believe it goes something like this in it's full form:
"Fighting stupidity one idiot at a time. It's taking longer than we
thought..."

Hey, whatcha doin' snooping around my headers Don. I put that line there
in my newsgroup settings on one of my computers when I couldn't think of
anything better to say. I didn't think anyone dug that deep into headers
unless they were trying to nail a scam artist or something like that.

Happy Haloween anyway,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Don Bruder

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

"It's taking longer than we thought..."

It's starting to take me all night to do what I used to do all night...

Actually, I was referring to someone's (Danged if I can remember who -
might even be somebody posting here) "Organization" header on their
messages - I believe it goes something like this in it's full form:
"Fighting stupidity one idiot at a time. It's taking longer than we
thought..."

Thanks, Jeff Sorry, but so many names go by in half an hour on usenet
that it's tough keeping taglines straight

I do like the one you've got tho... I can't help but smile and mutter
"Ain't that the truth!" every time I see it

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Don Bruder

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Don Bruder wrote:

[...]

Some of the better newsreaders automatically show all the headers... The
one I use being one example. I automatically get the From:,
Organization:, Newsgroups:, and Date: lines displayed with every
message, with zero effort on my part. (X-face: lines, if present, are
displayed as well) Should I so desire, seeing *ALL* the headers of a
message is as simple as scrolling up while a message window is open
until the headers come into view - otherwise, it displays the message
with the first "non-header" line flush against the top of the window,
hiding the headers as if I'd already scrolled past them.

One of the benefits of using a dedicated program that does one thing,
one thing only, and does it very well, rather than a "Swiss Army knife"
program that tries to do everything, but only manages to get one part
rightt. (Mozilla is also my choice of web browser, but that's what it
gets used for exclusively - *NO* Usenet reading/posting, *NO* email send
or receive, *NO* instant messaging, no *ANYTHING* but web pages)

But let's don't get me started on why I think using a web browser to
read/post on usenet is just as evil as Bill Gates and Microsoft being
allowed to continue existing...

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info

Jon Elson

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: ( clip) Those were also the days when some girls
believed the same shake and squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an
effective post-coital spermacidal douche. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your tag line is very appropriate for that one. Remember Dr. Whatzisname's
book, "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex"? That birth control
method was recommended in his book, which is one of the reasons it fell into
disfavor rather quickly.

Haw! The guy was almost certainly an Ob/Gyn, and it couldn't have hurt
his business, however! He must have been laughing all the way to the
bank!

Jon

Gunner Asch

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:21:35 -0600, "The Davenport's"
wrote:

Those were also the days when some girls believed the same shake and
squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an effective post-coital
spermacidal douche. (That's more than you needed to know I guess....)

Jeff

I can't and won't speak as to the effectiveness of using coke POST-coital,
but it makes for some, shall we say, "interesting", feelings if used
PRE-coital.

PopRocks and oral sex works, too

No...no metal content at all...none.

Mike

Ah yes....PopRocks...had a lady who would bring them with her.

And oddly enough..it works pretty well on both types of
plumbing..oddly enough....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that spaco wrote back on
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:50:38 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
I can't comment on the general usefulness of this idea, but the coffee
itself will leave a microscopic oily finish. I notice this when I wipe
out our coffee pot.

Hey, the other day, when I first went over to Bldg 1, I discovered a
Terrible Site - the inside of my coffee mug. Those crazies have a really
bright light over their coffee machine, so when you pop the top off the
coffee mug, "Yech! What is that stuff?? Quick, add coffee and cover it
up!"

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that (Eric R Snow) wrote back on Sun,
30 Oct 2005 17:59:30 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

[...]

Ah, but first they will have to learn how to make Proper Coffee. That
is the Secret.

And no country of Tea Drinkers will ever get that down pat. Not unless
Starbucks goes and sells out ...
--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Don Bruder wrote back on Sun,
30 Oct 2005 23:51:03 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

We keep trying to make things idiot proof, and along come smarter
idiots.

You're right ...

--
pyotr filipivich.

pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that "The Davenport's" wrote back
on Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:21:35 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Those were also the days when some girls believed the same shake and
squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an effective post-coital
spermacidal douche. (That's more than you needed to know I guess....)

Jeff

I can't and won't speak as to the effectiveness of using coke POST-coital,
but it makes for some, shall we say, "interesting", feelings if used
PRE-coital.

PopRocks and oral sex works, too

No...no metal content at all...none.

Vat, hyu gots no fillings?

(Ja, I feelz mit mine fingertips!"

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:56:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, pyotr
filipivich quickly quoth:

Ah, but first they will have to learn how to make Proper Coffee. That
is the Secret.

I found it and then the Tsunami wiped me out. I bought the Sumatran
coffee at COSTCO, ground it very, very finely, then mixed it with
equal amounts of Walmart's generic decaf.

And no country of Tea Drinkers will ever get that down pat. Not unless
Starbucks goes and sells out ...

Aren't tea drinkers smart enough not to pay $2-5 for a _cup_? That
said, I like the Starbucks dark roasted coffees and turn down coffee
from any and all cafes, restaurants, housewives. I'm spoiled, fer
sher.

Sadly, now that I've developed a food allergy to coffee, I drink but
one cup per WEEK and feed the rest of the half-pot to my neighbor.
(She makes good pies and cheesecakes, so it works out.) big sigh

On-topic line: add a wee bit o' swarf to the pot to help clean it.
Aloonimum is easier on the glass surface. DAMHIKT.

--------------------------------------
PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience
www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
Rex B

Those were also the days when some girls believed the same shake and
squirt thing with a bottle of Coca Cola was an effective post-coital
spermacidal douche. (That's more than you needed to know I guess....)

it was a good line but hell on the upholstery and carpet.
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Randy Replogle wrote
back on Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:06:07 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

[...]

Coolant - a mix of glycol and mineral spirits.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Larry Jaques wrote
back on Mon, 31 Oct 2005 04:51:53 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
[...]

We got the stainless steel commercial pots. Big basket with the
grounds, drips through to a removable square urn, mit the spigot on the
side. Every so often, I take it over to the sink and just hose it out.
But it has been left on over the weekend once to many times ... that stuff
is permanent.

pyotr

--------------------------------------
PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience
www.diversify.com - Web Database Development

--
pyotr filipivich.

Nick Müller

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Ah, but first they will have to learn how to make Proper Coffee. That
is the Secret.

Hah! You don't drink coffee in the US. It is some kind of slightly
flavoured brown liquid. I guess that the coffee-trick only works because
of all the Cl added to your water. "Coffee" was a bad experience I had
in the USA.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Gerald Miller

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:56:57 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the record show that spaco wrote back on
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:50:38 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
I can't comment on the general usefulness of this idea, but the coffee
itself will leave a microscopic oily finish. I notice this when I wipe
out our coffee pot.

Hey, the other day, when I first went over to Bldg 1, I discovered a
Terrible Site - the inside of my coffee mug. Those crazies have a really
bright light over their coffee machine, so when you pop the top off the
coffee mug, "Yech! What is that stuff?? Quick, add coffee and cover it
up!"

This is why I used to scrub my mug out with "Old Dutch Cleanser" every
thursday afternoon before I went home for the weekend.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Pete Snell

Larry Jaques wrote:

Next time you're here, please try a Starbucks or real coffee house,
not a cafe. The real thing isn't boiled or set on a warmer for 8
hours; each cup is made fresh.

Starbucks!? Ptooey!

--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----

Gerald Miller

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 04:18:49 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 00:14:36 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Nick Müller) quickly quoth:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Ah, but first they will have to learn how to make Proper Coffee. That
is the Secret.

Hah! You don't drink coffee in the US. It is some kind of slightly
flavoured brown liquid. I guess that the coffee-trick only works because
of all the Cl added to your water. "Coffee" was a bad experience I had
in the USA.

Next time you're here, please try a Starbucks or real coffee house,
not a cafe. The real thing isn't boiled or set on a warmer for 8
hours; each cup is made fresh.

Either that or come north and stop at Timmy's
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Steve Smith

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Let the record show that spaco wrote back on
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:50:38 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I can't comment on the general usefulness of this idea, but the coffee
itself will leave a microscopic oily finish. I notice this when I wipe
out our coffee pot.

Hey, the other day, when I first went over to Bldg 1, I discovered a
Terrible Site - the inside of my coffee mug. Those crazies have a really
bright light over their coffee machine, so when you pop the top off the
coffee mug, "Yech! What is that stuff?? Quick, add coffee and cover it
up!"

tschus
pyotr

Are you referring to the patina?

Steve
Don Bruder

In article ,
Steve Smith wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Let the record show that spaco wrote back on
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:50:38 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I can't comment on the general usefulness of this idea, but the coffee
itself will leave a microscopic oily finish. I notice this when I wipe
out our coffee pot.

Hey, the other day, when I first went over to Bldg 1, I discovered a
Terrible Site - the inside of my coffee mug. Those crazies have a really
bright light over their coffee machine, so when you pop the top off the
coffee mug, "Yech! What is that stuff?? Quick, add coffee and cover it
up!"

tschus
pyotr

Are you referring to the patina?

Steve

There's a clearly visible difference between patina and the layer of
"coffee scrunge" that builds up in a "continuous duty" coffee cup, or on
the inside of a coffee maker. There's NO mistaking them for each other
once you've seen them side by side!

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:52:32 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Pete
Snell quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Next time you're here, please try a Starbucks or real coffee house,
not a cafe. The real thing isn't boiled or set on a warmer for 8
hours; each cup is made fresh.

Starbucks!? Ptooey!

Hey, they were the first coffee house to remind me what GOOD coffee
tastes like. I haven't ordered coffee in a cafe since. Here in GP
we have Dutch Brothers who make a mean cuppa joe.

Stain and Poly are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design