Billy V

Default Rusting hand tools

Hi all,
I have a large number of hand tools.Like every type of plier known to
mankind. I don't use all of them everyday so they have to sit in a
draw in my upright tool box.

Because of my proximity to the ocean I have a problem with tools that
are not used very often rusting. I have heard of pads that are put in
tool cabinet draws to prevent rusting. For the life of me I can't find
them anywhere.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Or does anyone know
something that I can do to prevent the rusting of my tools?
I do a lot of hand forging of gold and platinum, I keep many of my
hammers with a mirror finish. To get them that way is a lot of work
and I do not want any pitting from the rusting.

Thanks for all your help.
Billy V
Gary Coffman

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:12:38 GMT, Billy V No Spam wrote:
I have a large number of hand tools.Like every type of plier known to
mankind. I don't use all of them everyday so they have to sit in a
draw in my upright tool box.

Because of my proximity to the ocean I have a problem with tools that
are not used very often rusting. I have heard of pads that are put in
tool cabinet draws to prevent rusting. For the life of me I can't find
them anywhere.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Or does anyone know
something that I can do to prevent the rusting of my tools?

You appear to be asking about VCI paper (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor).
There are a number of suppliers of varying formulations. Do a google
search on "VCI paper" and you'll turn up a bunch of them. Plain old
camphor works to a degree.

But better protection can be obtained by directly applying a corrosion
inhibitor to the metal. Cosmolene has been a traditional favorite. But
LPS-3 is commonly recommended by metalworkers. It dries to a very
thin waxy coating which isn't sticky. It cleans off easily too, if you need
to remove it.

Another option you might consider is to heat your toolbox slightly above
ambient. If metal is slightly warmer than the air around it, moisture won't
condense out onto the metal surfaces and cause corrosion to start. You
can use a rod type electric heating element, heat tape, or even a light
bulb inside the box. It doesn't take much heat to prevent condensation.
This is the approach I take down here in the humid South for metal
items kept indoors. For stuff that's outdoors, I use LPS-3.

Gary
GeoffH

Hello Billy,
If you can store your tools in woood storage containers, drawers etc.
Wood just happens to have one of the best anti-rust properties there
is.
I'm sure someone in the ng can put forward the reason.
I live in the UK that is not regarded as a dry country, except this
year, and the tools I have in wooden storage containers just do not
rust, and those that do only have a very light coating which wipes off
easily.
Regards
GeoffH
Norfolk - UK

wrote:

Hi all,
I have a large number of hand tools.Like every type of plier known to
mankind. I don't use all of them everyday so they have to sit in a
draw in my upright tool box.

Because of my proximity to the ocean I have a problem with tools that
are not used very often rusting. I have heard of pads that are put in
tool cabinet draws to prevent rusting. For the life of me I can't find
them anywhere.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Or does anyone know
something that I can do to prevent the rusting of my tools?
I do a lot of hand forging of gold and platinum, I keep many of my
hammers with a mirror finish. To get them that way is a lot of work
and I do not want any pitting from the rusting.

Thanks for all your help.
Billy V

Gunner

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:37:50 -0400, Gary Coffman
wrote:

[...]

Im told that common camphor also works well in tool boxes.

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle
behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

TLKALLAM8

Place a few blocks in you tool box . They cured my rust problem
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Gary Coffman wrote:

[ ... ]

You appear to be asking about VCI paper (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor).

I've heard it described as "VPI paper" (Vapor Phase Inhibitor)

There are a number of suppliers of varying formulations. Do a google
search on "VCI paper" and you'll turn up a bunch of them. Plain old
camphor works to a degree.

I've been told this too -- but not yet tried it.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
John Manders

I would support the heater/light bulb idea but use 2 light bulbs in case one
blows.

John

Tom Quackenbush

Billy V wrote:
Hi all,
I have a large number of hand tools.Like every type of plier known to
mankind. I don't use all of them everyday so they have to sit in a
draw in my upright tool box.

Because of my proximity to the ocean I have a problem with tools that
are not used very often rusting. I have heard of pads that are put in
tool cabinet draws to prevent rusting. For the life of me I can't find
them anywhere.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Or does anyone know
something that I can do to prevent the rusting of my tools?
I do a lot of hand forging of gold and platinum, I keep many of my
hammers with a mirror finish. To get them that way is a lot of work
and I do not want any pitting from the rusting.

If you go to:
http://www.brownells.com/Default.aspx
and search on "rust", you'll find several products like you describe.

I put camphor in my toolboxes when I had to put them in storage for a
couple of years. No rust, but then again I don't know if they would
have rusted without the camphor.

R,
Tom Q.

Jack Erbes

On 15 Oct 2003 01:48:14 GMT, (TLKALLAM8) wrote:

Place a few blocks in you tool box . They cured my rust problem

That is good stuff and not easy to find any more. But that auction is
closed so here is a current Buy It Now "auction" from the same seller:

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message

I put camphor in my toolboxes when I had to put them in storage for a
couple of years. No rust, but then again I don't know if they would
have rusted without the camphor.

R,
Tom Q.

I had my machine tools and precision tools box in storage in containers for
four years, in a very damp environment. The machine tools had been covered
in cosmoline and did fine if the covering didn't get disturbed, and my
measuring tools, which are in a Gerstner, came through without any problems,
and with no particular provisions to prevent rust. I'm of the opinion that
wooden toolboxes deal with moisture exceedingly well.

I was not so lucky with some items that were stored in my Kennedy rollaway,
however. In spite of the drawers being closed, some items rusted where
heavy water condensation occurred. Of particular irritation was the
matched set of Starrett V blocks. They are certainly still functional, but
the rust spots are exceptionally irritating to me.

Camphor may prevent rust, but the smell is very offensive to me. I'd have
to give extended thought and make the decision, live with the smell, or the
rust. g

Harold

DeepDiver

"Gary Coffman" wrote in message

Another option you might consider is to heat your toolbox slightly
above ambient. If metal is slightly warmer than the air around it,
moisture won't condense out onto the metal surfaces and cause
corrosion to start.

The problem with living close to the ocean is that wave action atomizes the
salt water, which is then blown inland to settle on anything and everything.
So the problem isn't simply condensation, but rather a continuous fog of
salty water, creating an ideal "breeding" environment for rust. It will even
affect items kept indoors in heated living areas. So in these cases, warming
the tooling simply won't do enough to prevent rust. And I suspect VCI paper
will also fall short. A barrier protection product like LPS-3 or Cosmoline
will provide the most practical and effective solution, although you will
likely always be plagued with rust near the ocean.

jim rozen

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

I was not so lucky with some items that were stored in my Kennedy rollaway,
however. In spite of the drawers being closed, some items rusted where
heavy water condensation occurred. Of particular irritation was the
matched set of Starrett V blocks. They are certainly still functional, but
the rust spots are exceptionally irritating to me.

I would say *so*. Harold, those blocks are clearly
ruined beyond repair, so your best bet would be to
send them (postpaid) to the licensed "V-block
disposal facility" listed below.

Starrett Disposal Facility
520 Highland Ave
Peekskill NY 10566

You will of course receive a proper written
confirmation of their arrival and disposition!
We are all aware of your life-long battle
against the scourge of rust, and deeply sympathize
for your angst.

Jim

please reply to:

Leo Lichtman

This will not be a good solution for tools that you use frequently, but for
long-term storage, I think it would beat anything. A device called a
"Foodsaver," which pulls a vacuum on a plastic bag, and seals it. It is
primarily intended to extend the life of foods, but it is also effective at
preventing silver from tarnishing, and I believe it would prevent rust
indefinitely under the worst of conditions. I also use it to pull a vacuum
on my photo developer in a partially full bottle, and if I stored open
bottles of wine, I would use it for that. I am not connected with the
company in any way.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
[...]

Nice try, Jim :-)

I've stoned one of them and have used it, but that does little to sooth my
anger. I need not mention how I feel about rust. I'm just thankful we
built the shop before tackling the house, which is taking much longer to
build. By the time we would have unloaded the containers, everything would
have been ruined by humidity. What a lesson I've learned since moving
from the desert!

Harold

DejaVU

Harold & Susan Vordos scribed in
:

Camphor may prevent rust, but the smell is very offensive to me.
I'd have to give extended thought and make the decision, live
with the smell, or the rust. g

Harold, if you have it there all the time, you stop smelling it.
The smell receptors 'get used to it' and stop signalling until there
is a major change, like if you go outside and come back into the w/s.

OTH, I kinda like the smell of camphor (-:

however, my workshop smells of chicken fat since that is what I use
for cutting. don't go in hungry as I will not allow you to eat my
chipboard! (-:

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /
Harold & Susan Vordos

"DejaVU" wrote in message
Harold & Susan Vordos scribed in
:

Camphor may prevent rust, but the smell is very offensive to me.
I'd have to give extended thought and make the decision, live
with the smell, or the rust. g

Harold, if you have it there all the time, you stop smelling it.
The smell receptors 'get used to it' and stop signalling until there
is a major change, like if you go outside and come back into the w/s.

Interestingly, I've noticed that when changing soap in the shower. At first
the smell is overwhelming, yet soon you don't notice it.

OTH, I kinda like the smell of camphor (-:

We'll keep on liking you anyway! :-)

however, my workshop smells of chicken fat since that is what I use
for cutting. don't go in hungry as I will not allow you to eat my
chipboard! (-:

swarf, steam and wind

I'd likely do OK unless your shop smells of Kentucky fried chicken. Pass
the chipboard!!

There were a couple old timers that used camphor in their toolboxes when I
was a lad in the missile facility where I was trained. Hated the smell,
and to add to my disgust, my lovely bride purchased an oriental camphor
chest, which one would liken to a cedar chest of sorts. Love the chest,
hate the smell. How I wish it would have been made of cedar, a smell I
adore. g

Harold

DejaVU

Harold & Susan Vordos scribed in
:

OTH, I kinda like the smell of camphor (-:

We'll keep on liking you anyway! :-)

aw shucks, thanks...

however, my workshop smells of chicken fat since that is what I
use for cutting. don't go in hungry as I will not allow you to
eat my chipboard! (-:

I'd likely do OK unless your shop smells of Kentucky fried
chicken. Pass the chipboard!!

not fried, ROAST chicken, you can keep the Kentucky Fxxxx Chicken.
roasted so it falls off the bones when you try to carve it. with
roast potatos and gravy, sweet baby carrots, maybe some fried
mushrooms. yum....
good thing lunchtime is only 15 minutes away!

to a cedar chest of sorts. Love the chest, hate the smell.
How I wish it would have been made of cedar, a smell I adore. g

oh dear. maybe you can overwhelm the camphor with cutting oil?

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /
ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail - - - - - - - X
If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \
PLEASE pretend you don't know me.
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:28:15 +0000 (UTC), DejaVU
pixelated:

Harold & Susan Vordos scribed in
:

OTH, I kinda like the smell of camphor (-:

We'll keep on liking you anyway! :-)

aw shucks, thanks...

I like camphor, too. So sue us, guys.

oh dear. maybe you can overwhelm the camphor with cutting oil?

Eww! Who was that id^H^Hnice gent who used 140w hypoid gear lube
on his ways last week? Oh my gawd!

I like good old Johnson's paste wax for moisture control. clean
up the tools, rub on some wax, let it dry for 15 minutes, polish
it off, and don't worry for another year.

-------------------------------
Iguana: The other green meat!
-------------------------------
Harold & Susan Vordos

"DejaVU" wrote in message
snip----
not fried, ROAST chicken, you can keep the Kentucky Fxxxx Chicken.
roasted so it falls off the bones when you try to carve it. with
roast potatos and gravy, sweet baby carrots, maybe some fried
mushrooms. yum....
good thing lunchtime is only 15 minutes away!

Way to go! Here sits a person that's greatest talent in life is eating, and
you taunt him with food? Roast potatoes! Yep, that's the way to cook
them, even with a leg of lamb, one of my favorites. Garlic, lemon, salt,
pepper, forget any mint jelly, not needed. My mouth's a-waterin'. :-)

to a cedar chest of sorts. Love the chest, hate the smell.
How I wish it would have been made of cedar, a smell I adore. g

oh dear. maybe you can overwhelm the camphor with cutting oil?

Or like Larry suggested, hypoid gear lube? Man, you don't leave much from
which to choose. Maybe I'll learn to like camphor if those are my choices.

That chicken sure sounds good!

Harold

DeepDiver

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

even with a leg of lamb, one of my favorites. Garlic, lemon, salt,
pepper, forget any mint jelly, not needed. My mouth's a-waterin'.

Damn, now you've made me hungry too! I haven't had a good leg of lamb in a
year which is way too long.

Btw, I make my own mint jelly and the flavor is light and subtle (not
overpowering and overly sweet like the commercial stuff); it delicately
complements and accentuates the lamb without masking any of the roast's rich
flavors.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

even with a leg of lamb, one of my favorites. Garlic, lemon, salt,
pepper, forget any mint jelly, not needed. My mouth's a-waterin'.

Damn, now you've made me hungry too! I haven't had a good leg of lamb in a
year which is way too long.

Btw, I make my own mint jelly and the flavor is light and subtle (not
overpowering and overly sweet like the commercial stuff); it delicately
complements and accentuates the lamb without masking any of the roast's

rich
flavors.

If one uses mint jelly, yours sounds like the right combination. The
flavor of lamb when properly prepared needs very little support. Being
of Greek extraction, I was raised on lamb and prefer it to beef or pork.

I think I can understand the mint jelly, though I've never used it. One of
my other favorites is what are called kiftethis, or Greek meatballs, which
are flavored with spearmint. What a great flavor that adds to them.

I'm fortunate in that Susan, who is not Greek, learned to cook the majority
of the Greek recipes, so we enjoy traditional Greek cooking even though my
mother has passed. I'm not sure I'd be content to miss out on foods with
which I was raised! :-)

One of our traditions is a roast leg of lamb with orzo (a pasta product,
looks a little like rice), cooked in the oven in a rich tomato sauce. Once
the leg is cooked, it is removed and the orzo cooked in the juices and the
tomato, which is added only after the leg is removed. We usually serve it
with a good grated cheese (Romano) and enjoy it with broccoli and sour cream
on the side. If you haven't experienced that one, what a shame! The
tradition of which I speak is dinner on Christmas Eve, and also generally on
my birthday. That meal, without a doubt, is my favorite. I'll take it over
lobster any day, and I love lobster.

Harold

Charles Gallo

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 01:37:38 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

One of our traditions is a roast leg of lamb with orzo (a pasta product,
looks a little like rice), cooked in the oven in a rich tomato sauce. Once
the leg is cooked, it is removed and the orzo cooked in the juices and the
tomato, which is added only after the leg is removed. We usually serve it
with a good grated cheese (Romano) and enjoy it with broccoli and sour cream
on the side. If you haven't experienced that one, what a shame! The
tradition of which I speak is dinner on Christmas Eve, and also generally on
my birthday. That meal, without a doubt, is my favorite. I'll take it over
lobster any day, and I love lobster.

Ohhh That sounds GOOD - any details left out? Times? Temps? (Mouth
watering, ready to cook)

Roast Leg of Lamb, fagolet with parsley and garlic (you can substitute
Lima beans if you can't get the fagolet), garlic roast potatoes, a
nice salad, some nice bread warmed in the oven, and some cheese

A fairly typical Sunday dinner at my parents house, and something I
don't make often enough

Charlie
(Checking into the group after months away)

--
73
KC2IXE

For the Children - RKBA!

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."
-- Patrick Henry
Harold & Susan Vordos

wrote:

[...]

Need a serious recipe? Susan is real good about that. Let us know! This
is one meal that's easy to prepare. You do very little, it's almost all
done by the oven.

Roast Leg of Lamb, fagolet with parsley and garlic (you can substitute
Lima beans if you can't get the fagolet), garlic roast potatoes, a
nice salad, some nice bread warmed in the oven, and some cheese

Don't know what fagolet is, but the meal sounds wonderful. To guild the
lily, a nice glass of wine wouldn't hurt the cause, either!

A fairly typical Sunday dinner at my parents house, and something I
don't make often enough

All too sad, Charlie. What's on the menu for tomorrow? (Oh, yeah,
welcome back!)

Harold

Charlie
(Checking into the group after months away)

--
73
KC2IXE

For the Children - RKBA!

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may

have a gun."
-- Patrick Henry

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

One of our traditions is a roast leg of lamb with orzo (a pasta product,
looks a little like rice), cooked in the oven in a rich tomato sauce.

Once
the leg is cooked, it is removed and the orzo cooked in the juices and

the
tomato, which is added only after the leg is removed.

That sounds like my Greek mother-in-law's gvetchy (phonetic
spelling there), though she uses linguine instead of orzo.
The dolmathes-stuffed grape leaves with lemon sauce-are my
favorite.

So you understand my food! Yep, the dolmathes are a wonderful treat, and
the grape leaf is the key to great flavor. My mother would occasionally
make them with cabbage when she didn't have any grape leaves available.
Edible, but not even close to the same critter.

Does your M-I-L use only the lemon sauce? There's a recipe that we use in
which one beats raw egg white until very fluffy, then add the yokes and
lemon, which, once well beaten, is blended with the juices of the dolmathes,
folded in slowly to not cook the egg. That gives the sauce a wonderful
texture and flavor, but with the worry of salmonella these days, I often
wonder how wise we are to continue doing it that way. Dolmathes are a
favorite of mine, as is a soup made with orzo and the same lemon/egg sauce.
This conversation is making me hungry!!

I won't even try to spell the names of the
sugared shortbread cookies with the clove in the middle

Those are kourambyethis, which Susan also makes. Hard to beat, yes? They
are, for lack of a better comparison, much like a Danish wedding cookie.
Properly made (beat the butter for ½ hour) they are the best! Them, and
baklava, anyway.

and the little pretzel shaped glazed cookies.

Which we just finished eating last week. Those are kouloudia. Nothing
goes better with a cup of coffee!

Welcome to our clan, Ned.

Ned Simmons

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...

Does your M-I-L use only the lemon sauce? There's a recipe that we use in
which one beats raw egg white until very fluffy, then add the yokes and
lemon, which, once well beaten, is blended with the juices of the dolmathes,
folded in slowly to not cook the egg. That gives the sauce a wonderful
texture and flavor, but with the worry of salmonella these days, I often
wonder how wise we are to continue doing it that way.

She makes the sauce with the eggs, salmonella be damned.

Dolmathes are a
favorite of mine, as is a soup made with orzo and the same lemon/egg sauce.
This conversation is making me hungry!!

Avgolemono? My wife makes that as well. We haven't had it
in a while. Need to remind her.

I won't even try to spell the names of the
sugared shortbread cookies with the clove in the middle

Those are kourambyethis, which Susan also makes. Hard to beat, yes? They
are, for lack of a better comparison, much like a Danish wedding cookie.
Properly made (beat the butter for ½ hour) they are the best! Them, and
baklava, anyway.

and the little pretzel shaped glazed cookies.

Which we just finished eating last week. Those are kouloudia. Nothing
goes better with a cup of coffee!

Thanks, for the spelling lesson. Really. My wife has the
recipes (Such as they are. The recipes she transcribed from
her mother's verbal instructions include things like "Add
three saucers of powdered sugar."), and has gotten as good
as her mother at making the cookies. But the recipes only
have descriptive titles because when asked how to spell the
names, her mother wrote them out in the Greek alphabet. g

Ned

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Does your M-I-L use only the lemon sauce? There's a recipe that we

use in
which one beats raw egg white until very fluffy, then add the yokes and
lemon, which, once well beaten, is blended with the juices of the

dolmathes,
folded in slowly to not cook the egg. That gives the sauce a wonderful
texture and flavor, but with the worry of salmonella these days, I often
wonder how wise we are to continue doing it that way.

She makes the sauce with the eggs, salmonella be damned.

Ahh! What courage! We feel the same way, but still have some concern.

Dolmathes are a
favorite of mine, as is a soup made with orzo and the same lemon/egg

sauce.
This conversation is making me hungry!!

Avgolemono? My wife makes that as well. We haven't had it
in a while. Need to remind her.

Like you, we haven't had it for some time now, since last spring. It's a
great cold weather treat. We always start with a whole beef knuckle to
prepare the stock, then add some chicken bullion, which gives the soup a
particular flavor that I enjoy. The soup is rather ugly, but the taste is
something to behold!

[...]

Well, in a way, she had an advantage over Susan. While my mother was born
here in the States, her folks immigrated. My grandmother was not literate
(not all that uncommon at that time) and as a result NOTHING was ever done
on paper. She ran a boarding house for miners (early 1900's) in a small
community, now long gone, having been literally mined away by Kennecott
Copper) and was well known for her prowess in the kitchen. Apparently my
mother learned extremely well from her, for before her health failed, she
was head of the pastries for the Greek Festival in Salt Lake City for years.
While that may sound a little insignificant, there's a huge
Greek population (at least 5,000 in the land of Joseph Smith g) in the
general Salt Lake City area, due, in part, to the availability of work for
those that immigrated and couldn't speak English. The work, of course,
was not glamorous. For the most part, for those that didn't start a
restaurant g, it was working in the hard rock mines, for which the Salt
Lake Valley used to be well known, and still if you consider the copper
mine, reputed to be the largest open pit copper mine in the world, as I
understand it. It's something like 4 miles across and has gone a mile deep
if you consider the mountain that used to exist is now a huge hole in the
ground. At one time there was a total of 28 smelters in the valley.
All are now gone.

Due to the lack of recipes, when Susan began learning to cook Greek food,
she'd go to my mother's house and watch her prepare what ever it was she was
learning. My mother had no recipes, nor did she own a measuring cup. A
pinch of this and a hand full of that was her style. Susan would stop her
at each step of the preparation and measure what she had done, and take
notes. As in your case, Susan can now prepare the meals to the same level
of quality that my mother upheld. What higher praise for a wife than to be
told she cooks as well as one's mother?

While modern convenience has made preparing some things much easier
(baklava, galopita, also known as galactobouriko, a wonderful custard "pie"
made with filo, or any of the other pastries made with filo), I recall, as a
young boy, watching my grandmother and mother prepare filo from scratch, a
rather long, drawn out process. They also made hilopites, a small square
pasta used much the same way as orzo (manestra). I doubt you could find
many women today that have the knowledge to do it. Even my mother, for the
last years of her life, bought her filo.

Does anyone in her/your family make mousaka?

Harold

Charles Gallo

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:21:49 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"

snip
Need a serious recipe? Susan is real good about that. Let us know! This
is one meal that's easy to prepare. You do very little, it's almost all
done by the oven.

I wouldn't say no g

snip
Don't know what fagolet is, but the meal sounds wonderful. To guild the
lily, a nice glass of wine wouldn't hurt the cause, either!

It's a bean, sort of like a small lima bean - it's actually more like
a jumbo bean from inside a green bean - It's a French thing. And of
course it's served with wine

A fairly typical Sunday dinner at my parents house, and something I
don't make often enough

All too sad, Charlie. What's on the menu for tomorrow? (Oh, yeah,
welcome back!)

Thank you - Dinner was Sandwiches, as I had a club meeting, so there
was no time to cook. That's half the problem - no time. Got to go
visit Mom and Dad. I understand this week will be some Venison
(clearing the freezer in hopes of a new one)

--
73
KC2IXE

For the Children - RKBA!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke - (British statesman - 1756)
Charles Gallo

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:09:40 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:
snip
So you understand my food! snip

Harold,
I don't know if I've said it, but I live on the fringe of the
2nd largest Greek neighborhood in NYC (Astoria is #1,
Auburndale/Bayside is #2). Except when I was in college, I've ALWAYS
had a Greek neighbor on one side or the other. I LIKE Greek cooking.
That's one of the few GOOD things about NYC - you can always find a
GOOD restaurant

Charlie

--
73
KC2IXE

For the Children - RKBA!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke - (British statesman - 1756)

Charles Gallo

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:05:54 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:
snip
filo from scratch

snip

Did that ONCE, at a neighbors house when I was a kid in my pre teens.
UGH, MUCH MUCH easier to buy Filo

This thread is making me HUNGRY. I have to do some Greek cooking soon

Yes - I'm the family cook. My wife can't cook - she burns water. My
Grandfather was a chef (French), and taught my Dad. My Mom knew how
to cook when Dad married her, but he taught her all the fancy French
stuff. They both taught me, but I don't do it as often as I should.
No time when I get home from work

--
73
KC2IXE

For the Children - RKBA!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke - (British statesman - 1756)
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Charles Gallo" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:21:49 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"

snip
Need a serious recipe? Susan is real good about that. Let us know!

This
is one meal that's easy to prepare. You do very little, it's almost all
done by the oven.

I wouldn't say no g

I'll have something on the way tonight.

snip
Don't know what fagolet is, but the meal sounds wonderful. To guild the
lily, a nice glass of wine wouldn't hurt the cause, either!

It's a bean, sort of like a small lima bean - it's actually more like
a jumbo bean from inside a green bean - It's a French thing. And of
course it's served with wine

Cool! Something I must explore. Where do you generally find them?

A fairly typical Sunday dinner at my parents house, and something I
don't make often enough

All too sad, Charlie. What's on the menu for tomorrow? (Oh, yeah,
welcome back!)

Thank you - Dinner was Sandwiches, as I had a club meeting, so there
was no time to cook. That's half the problem - no time. Got to go
visit Mom and Dad. I understand this week will be some Venison
(clearing the freezer in hopes of a new one)

Ahhh! Venison!! Lucky bugger. I don't have what it takes to hunt the
critters, which browse in our yard daily, but I sure as hell enjoy the meat.
Have you eaten stifatho, made with any type of game meat? One of life's
real pleasures, it is. I'll send that recipe along with a couple others.
A loaf of heated French bread and some good company with this meal is very
memorable!

Harold

janet

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message ...
This will not be a good solution for tools that you use frequently, but for
long-term storage, I think it would beat anything. A device called a
"Foodsaver," which pulls a vacuum on a plastic bag, and seals it. It is
primarily intended to extend the life of foods, but it is also effective at
preventing silver from tarnishing, and I believe it would prevent rust
indefinitely under the worst of conditions. I also use it to pull a vacuum
on my photo developer in a partially full bottle, and if I stored open
bottles of wine, I would use it for that. I am not connected with the
company in any way.

I like Greek food, too. I go to a Greek Orthdox Church. We have a
meal at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and other times of the year at
church. Baklava, Kourambiethes, lamb is all good. I am not Greek but
my godfamily is. There is a lot of middle eastern folks at my church,
too. Middle Eastern food it good, too. As a matter of fact, some of
the greek foods is prepared by the middle easterns with a different
twist.