Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Rusting hand tools

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message

I put camphor in my toolboxes when I had to put them in storage for a
couple of years. No rust, but then again I don't know if they would
have rusted without the camphor.

R,
Tom Q.

I had my machine tools and precision tools box in storage in containers for
four years, in a very damp environment. The machine tools had been covered
in cosmoline and did fine if the covering didn't get disturbed, and my
measuring tools, which are in a Gerstner, came through without any problems,
and with no particular provisions to prevent rust. I'm of the opinion that
wooden toolboxes deal with moisture exceedingly well.

I was not so lucky with some items that were stored in my Kennedy rollaway,
however. In spite of the drawers being closed, some items rusted where
heavy water condensation occurred. Of particular irritation was the
matched set of Starrett V blocks. They are certainly still functional, but
the rust spots are exceptionally irritating to me.

Camphor may prevent rust, but the smell is very offensive to me. I'd have
to give extended thought and make the decision, live with the smell, or the
rust. g

Harold