Chris Vowles

Default External Rendering Steel "Beads" Rusting through render

Both my house and my fathers house have rust lines coming throught the
External Render,

Mine is due to a steel edging bead on my bay window and my fathers is
due to steel bell lip (or what ever they are called) above his windows
(his house is also next to the sea and the salt in the air obviously
doesn't help).

Any thoughts on a way to stop the rust coming through,

Chris

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Chris Vowles wrote:
Both my house and my fathers house have rust lines coming throught the
External Render,

Mine is due to a steel edging bead on my bay window and my fathers is
due to steel bell lip (or what ever they are called) above his windows
(his house is also next to the sea and the salt in the air obviously
doesn't help).

Obviously poor galvanizing. I've had the same thing *inside* the kitchen,
where the rust came through the wall covering. I treated it with car
rustkiller - Jenolite - and covered it with PVC tape. This seems to have
prevented it showing through yet - but outside would be, I'd guess, a
different matter.

Any thoughts on a way to stop the rust coming through,

Only the above. Once rust has started it tends to carry on regardless, as
in old cars, where the only real option is to cut it out and replace with
new metal.

If ever there was a case for a stainless material, this is it, as render
etc should last for many years more than this strip appears to.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
BillR

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Chris Vowles wrote:
[...]

I've just seem some rendering done on a new quality property and the visible
steel strips are stainless.

Chris Vowles

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:29:11 +0100, "BillR"
wrote:

I've just seem some rendering done on a new quality property and the visible
steel strips are stainless.

Yes some recent work I have had done had a stainless steel bead ....
http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/h...c/P1010105.jpg
(hope those nails are treated as well)

Doesn't help with original problem though, where the metal is very
close to the surface perhaps some smooth hammerite would help (it
worked on an old Ford Cortina for many years!) ?

Chris