Default OT - technically inept commercials

Hi all,

This isn't on topic, but I felt the need to vent and I figured this NG
might understand.

Last night I saw a commercial for a tire store or manufacturer that
featured a woman parking a Jeep on a steep hill, pulling the parking
brake and getting out. The Jeep then slid down the hill with the front
wheels locked supposedly illustrating the point that the woman's car
needed tires. This bugged me because the parking brake doesn't work on
the front wheels...

Recently there was commercial that had a guy on a chopper sitting at a
light revving his engine. The sound of a largely unmuffled Harley
motor permeates the air. The chopper however, has an old Honda SOHC
750 motor.

My favorite was a guy in a fragrance commercial standing at the back of
a bathtub Porsche with the rear cowl up and... wait for it... steam
coming out. I suppose I shoould be impressed that he had the cowl on
the right end of the car open.

There are many more I've noticed over the years. One would think that
ad agencies would employ technically aware to prevent stupid stuff like
this. I guess the reality is that most folks don't notice.

Rant off,

Peter

Jeff Wisnia

[...]

Didja ever think that maybe they do that deliberately just to catch your
attention, Peter?

Naw, they couldn't be that smart....Or could they?

Your post is very reminicent of my going to the movies with a bunch of
my MIT classmates back in the 50s and hearing loud guffaws and derisive
comments every time there was a techno impossibility on screen,
particularly if it was a sci-fi movie.

The years take their toll on my memory, and the only one I can recall
laughing at now was a scene from a horror movie, inside some ancient
castle with the wall torches casting shadows of their own flames on the
walls behind them because of the Kleig lights used to illuminate the scene.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Don Foreman

CSI, with all of their technostuff, has also made some goofs. I
recall Grissom attracting dust, from a footprint I think, to a sheet
of plastic film -- using a car battery as a source of electrostatic
potential. When he connected an alligator clip the dust jumped to
the film. Musta been one seriously overcharged battery!

Robert Swinney

Have you seen commercials for pickup trucks lately? They'd have you believe
the vehicles only run through deep mud and water, and operate in skid.
There's almost never a shot of a clean one going straight.

Bob Swinney
"Don Foreman" wrote in message
CSI, with all of their technostuff, has also made some goofs. I
recall Grissom attracting dust, from a footprint I think, to a sheet
of plastic film -- using a car battery as a source of electrostatic
potential. When he connected an alligator clip the dust jumped to
the film. Musta been one seriously overcharged battery!

Tim Wescott

Robert Swinney wrote:

Have you seen commercials for pickup trucks lately? They'd have you believe
the vehicles only run through deep mud and water, and operate in skid.
There's almost never a shot of a clean one going straight.

That's because a clean pickup, going straight on a dry day on the
freeway with one passenger is just a gas guzzler. A pickup sliding
sideways in the dust is an Expression of Manliness. This is why ads for
pickups and SUV's feature the mud and rocks instead of clips of gas
tanks with whirlpools or the underside of the upside-down vehicle with
the wheels still spinning and sirens in the distance.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Don Foreman wrote:
CSI, with all of their technostuff, has also made some goofs.

Some? A typical episode is chock full of rediculous stuff.

recall Grissom attracting dust, from a footprint I think, to a sheet
of plastic film -- using a car battery as a source of electrostatic
potential. When he connected an alligator clip the dust jumped to
the film. Musta been one seriously overcharged battery!

In the first episode I watched a construction worker fell "with a
terminal velocity of 32 feet per second squared" and it turned out
he had been electrocuted but there were no burns on his body
because he had been taking iron suppliments.

--

FF

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:24:38 -0500, F George McDuffee wrote:

So did the SAAB 99 and most of the earlier SAAB cars.

For values of "earlier" which include only "later", yes. the
92/93/95/96/97 all have the handbrake actuate on the rear wheels.
The 99s and 900s are on the front, not sure about the 9-3 and 9-5.

Don Foreman

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:28:31 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

That's because a clean pickup, going straight on a dry day on the
freeway with one passenger is just a gas guzzler. A pickup sliding
sideways in the dust is an Expression of Manliness. This is why ads for
pickups and SUV's feature the mud and rocks instead of clips of gas
tanks with whirlpools or the underside of the upside-down vehicle with
the wheels still spinning and sirens in the distance.

LOL! On the other hand, I've never seen a Miata with a class III
hitch....
Robert Swinney

Ooopps! Did I overlook the macho angle? Sorry - guess I'll have to
conserve my admiration for the "real men" types that uncouple cars from
moving trains (no slack) by lifting the coupler pin.

Bob Swinney
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Robert Swinney wrote:

Have you seen commercials for pickup trucks lately? They'd have you
believe the vehicles only run through deep mud and water, and operate in
skid. There's almost never a shot of a clean one going straight.

That's because a clean pickup, going straight on a dry day on the freeway
with one passenger is just a gas guzzler. A pickup sliding sideways in
the dust is an Expression of Manliness. This is why ads for pickups and
SUV's feature the mud and rocks instead of clips of gas tanks with
whirlpools or the underside of the upside-down vehicle with the wheels
still spinning and sirens in the distance.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Christopher Tidy

[...]

Have folks here seen the film "The Full Monty"? It's a great film, but
it contains one classic of this kind. A few unemployed steelworkers are
watching a semi-porn movie in which a woman is trying to weld (don't
ask, I never did get what the video was about). Anyway, one of the guys
says "Her mix is all to cock! That's too much acetylene." Then you see
the TV they're watching, and it's actually stick welding.

Made me laugh.

Chris

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:02:33 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy wrote:
Anyway, one of the guys
says "Her mix is all to cock! That's too much acetylene." Then you see
the TV they're watching, and it's actually stick welding.

Well, if she's stick welding, any acetylene would be "too much",
wouldn't it now.

Nope. It was steam. I've owned lots of British cars. I'm familiar
with both.

Peter

I know that some cars had parking brakes that worked on the rear
wheels. They are uncommon and the Jeep isn't one of them. I thought
about the 4WD thing, but the car was on pavement and even if it were in
4WD, the wheels wouldn't not roll.

Obviously, the commercial wasn't meant to be taken literally - it just
got me thinking.

Peter

Christopher Tidy

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:02:33 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy wrote:

Anyway, one of the guys
says "Her mix is all to cock! That's too much acetylene." Then you see
the TV they're watching, and it's actually stick welding.

Well, if she's stick welding, any acetylene would be "too much",
wouldn't it now.

A better description might have been to say she was making a load of
sparks with a stick welding set :-).

Chris

Occupant

I can't count the number of times I've seen a commercial, show,
or movie where a vehicle is speeding around a corner and the
tires are squealing like crazy .... on a dirt road.

Oscar

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Mark

The Mission Impossible episode in which the techninerd finally managed
to diagnose a burnt out Selenium rectifier in a TV monitor. Somewhat
challenged in the olfactory department?
/mark

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Chris

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know that some cars had parking brakes that worked on the rear
wheels. They are uncommon and the Jeep isn't one of them. I thought
about the 4WD thing, but the car was on pavement and even if it were in
4WD, the wheels wouldn't not roll.

Obviously, the commercial wasn't meant to be taken literally - it just
got me thinking.

Peter

Have to ask if it was a Jeep Jeep or one of the other flavors? The Grand
Cherokee (I have one), is full time 4wd. Although computer controlled, I
wonder if putting it in park locked the front wheels as well? A true 4wd it
is too, and it really goes well in the snow. Better than the Dodge 2500
that I have.

Might have to try it when the tires bet bald.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Peter Grey

"Chris" wrote in message ...

Have to ask if it was a Jeep Jeep or one of the other flavors? The Grand
Cherokee (I have one), is full time 4wd. Although computer controlled, I
wonder if putting it in park locked the front wheels as well? A true 4wd
it is too, and it really goes well in the snow. Better than the Dodge
2500 that I have.

Might have to try it when the tires bet bald.

It was a Grand Cherokee but the wheels still wouldn't lock with the parking
brake on. Too many viscous couplings and such. I suppose if a 4WD vehicle
had a locked diff front and rear, and had a locked transfer case, the fronts
would lock with the parking brake on.

Peter

Chris

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
.net...

"Chris" wrote in message

Have to ask if it was a Jeep Jeep or one of the other flavors? The Grand
Cherokee (I have one), is full time 4wd. Although computer controlled, I
wonder if putting it in park locked the front wheels as well? A true 4wd
it is too, and it really goes well in the snow. Better than the Dodge
2500 that I have.

Might have to try it when the tires bet bald.

It was a Grand Cherokee but the wheels still wouldn't lock with the
parking brake on. Too many viscous couplings and such. I suppose if a
4WD vehicle had a locked diff front and rear, and had a locked transfer
case, the fronts would lock with the parking brake on.

Peter

\
Ok got that much. I am not bashing your claim as I agree 100% with the your
post. I am just starting to think that this particular vehicle might not be
the norm.

Just thinking out loud:

I do know the Grand Cherokee cannot be towed by a normal tow truck even with
the transfer in neutral. They have to flat bed it. Something about not
being able to tow the thing with either axle off the ground. Of course you
see plenty behind RVs being towed with all four wheels on the ground, which
is ok.

The Grand Cherokee does have more or less lockers in the front and rear.

Are you saying that she left the thing in gear not in park?

This would than lead me to question how they did the commercial. Did they
perform some type of work to lock up all four tires, or did they select this
vehicle, knowing that all four tires would drag? I am starting to think
that maybe this might be possible with this vehicle and they just pulled the
thing with a winch.

As an owner it has sparked my curiosity. I do have some real loose gravel
on a road on my property, and a winch. Might just give it a try.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Ken Sterling

I can't count the number of times I've seen a commercial, show,
or movie where a vehicle is speeding around a corner and the
tires are squealing like crazy .... on a dirt road.

Oscar

Not to counter your thinking, but I used to believe that this wasn't
possible either UNTIL.... I'm out in the woods with my pickup truck
(4WD), and chained onto a pretty good sized log. Going to pull it out
onto the "path" to cut it up for firewood. Didn't think I was going
to need the 4WD so proceeded. Dusty clay path, chain tight, started
pulling - back wheels started spinning - and then HOWLING. I couldn't
believe my ears, but YES, you can squeal tires on dirt...
Ken.

Gerald Miller

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:34:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 13 Sep 2005 09:09:29 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

There are many more I've noticed over the years. One would think that
ad agencies would employ technically aware to prevent stupid stuff like
this. I guess the reality is that most folks don't notice.

Sadly true. I'll never forget the self-adjusting channel-lock type
wrench Searz was selling. The guy in the commercial put it on the
severely damaged bicycle front-axle nut -backwards- and turned while
it stripped the nut even worse. All the while, metal shavings were
falling during this camera closeup. TYPICAL Searz crap.

I really should have saved a copy of that commercial on tape.

----
- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -
http://diversify.com Web Applications

My current favorite is the "Swiffer Duster" add showing the crime
scene investigator who is astonished at the dusting efficiency of the
advertized article. much to his supervisors chagrin. The background
radio noise "This is Toronto International Airport information Delta"
- the Automated Terminal Information Service (ATIS) loop tape
broadcast giving pilots local information.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

John Chase

"Christopher Tidy" wrote...
[ snip ]

Have folks here seen the film "The Full Monty"? It's a great film, but it
contains one classic of this kind. A few unemployed steelworkers are
watching a semi-porn movie in which a woman is trying to weld (don't ask,
I never did get what the video was about). Anyway, one of the guys says
"Her mix is all to cock! That's too much acetylene." Then you see the TV
they're watching, and it's actually stick welding.

"Airplane" -- What does a jet airliner sound like from outside?

Not like a Super Connie, I'm sure....

-jc-

Peter Grey

"Chris" wrote in message ...
Ok got that much. I am not bashing your claim as I agree 100% with the
your post. I am just starting to think that this particular vehicle might
not be the norm.

That's OK. I'm not taking this personally. This has interested me enough
to check out the Jeep's specs a little bit.

Just thinking out loud:

I do know the Grand Cherokee cannot be towed by a normal tow truck even
with the transfer in neutral. They have to flat bed it. Something about
not being able to tow the thing with either axle off the ground. Of
course you see plenty behind RVs being towed with all four wheels on the
ground, which is ok.

The new Jeeps have a neutral position on the transfer case that allows one
to tow the thing. This leads me to think that the issue is uncontrolled
heating of the fluid and /or clutch packs in the transfer case.

The Grand Cherokee does have more or less lockers in the front and rear.

Both the transfer case and the diffs on the new GC are electronically
controlled (hydraulically controlled on the older cars) clutch packs that
can range from open to fully locked. I'd be surprised if they become fully
locked with the ignition off (in fact that would make it hard to tow with
the engine not running). I believe they may lock when the computer tells
them to lock, but I bet in a "resting state" they're pretty much open. If
the transfer case and the front diff doesn't lock when one turns the car
off, then the scenario shown in the commercial wouldn't work.

Are you saying that she left the thing in gear not in park?

No. I bet that if you jack up the front of your car with the parking brake
on and the car in "park" that you'll be able to spin a front wheel with your
hands. Try it and let me know what happens.

This would than lead me to question how they did the commercial. Did they
perform some type of work to lock up all four tires, or did they select
this vehicle, knowing that all four tires would drag? I am starting to
think that maybe this might be possible with this vehicle and they just
pulled the thing with a winch.

I'm thinking they had someone sitting in the car pressing the brake pedal
while it was being pulled. Or they locked the brakes somehow.

Or I could be completely wrong and I'm making a fool of myself. I'm SURE
about the chopper and Porsche thing, though...

Peter

Carl Ijames

"Airplane" -- What does a jet airliner sound like from outside?

Not like a Super Connie, I'm sure....

That was the result of a power struggle between director and producer
(or something like that). The original screenplay was a period piece
set in the '40s, just after WWII which is where the Robert Hays
character got shell shocked into his "drinking problem", but the
producer wanted it set in current times with a jetliner, so the
compromise was jet with prop soundtrack whenever they showed the outside
of the plane :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Chris

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Peter,
Not making a fool at all. I just think that the Jeep in this case could be
a little odd. Than again we could all be wrong.

I do have the newer Jeep that I think you are referring to, a 2000 model.
It does have the N on the transfer case, but they still will not tow it. I
do remember something being mentioned about the way the "lockers" work when
the vehicle is not running.

Either way I am curious and have enough machines here to drag the Jeep
around and see what happens.

I will report back the findings, and hopefully you will look better with the
results.

Chris

Gunner Asch

On 13 Sep 2005 09:09:29 -0700, wrote:

[...]

No less than I love watching war flicks or films involving firearms
and picking out all the gaffes they make.

I loved some of the early Last of the Mohicans tv shows, where they
were shooting Trapdoor Springfields...made in 1873. And of course..the
infamous 37 shot 1911. And silencers on Colt/Smith and Wesson
revolvers...rec.guns occasionally has blistering reviews of various
movie flaws....

I still love the American aircraft painted with a Japanese meatball in
so many of the war flicks

Gunner

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner