Jim Stewart

Gunner Asch wrote:
On 13 Sep 2005 09:09:29 -0700, wrote:

Hi all,

This isn't on topic, but I felt the need to vent and I figured this NG
might understand.

Last night I saw a commercial for a tire store or manufacturer that
featured a woman parking a Jeep on a steep hill, pulling the parking
brake and getting out. The Jeep then slid down the hill with the front
wheels locked supposedly illustrating the point that the woman's car
needed tires. This bugged me because the parking brake doesn't work on
the front wheels...

Recently there was commercial that had a guy on a chopper sitting at a
light revving his engine. The sound of a largely unmuffled Harley
motor permeates the air. The chopper however, has an old Honda SOHC
750 motor.

My favorite was a guy in a fragrance commercial standing at the back of
a bathtub Porsche with the rear cowl up and... wait for it... steam
coming out. I suppose I shoould be impressed that he had the cowl on
the right end of the car open.

There are many more I've noticed over the years. One would think that
ad agencies would employ technically aware to prevent stupid stuff like
this. I guess the reality is that most folks don't notice.

Rant off,

Peter

No less than I love watching war flicks or films involving firearms
and picking out all the gaffes they make.

I loved some of the early Last of the Mohicans tv shows, where they
were shooting Trapdoor Springfields...made in 1873. And of course..the
infamous 37 shot 1911. And silencers on Colt/Smith and Wesson
revolvers...rec.guns occasionally has blistering reviews of various
movie flaws....

I still love the American aircraft painted with a Japanese meatball in
so many of the war flicks

History Channel is notorious for using clips
of vehicles from the wrong era... locomotives
and heavy equipment are my favorites.

John Chase wrote:
"Christopher Tidy" wrote...
[ snip ]

Have folks here seen the film "The Full Monty"? It's a great film, but it
contains one classic of this kind. A few unemployed steelworkers are
watching a semi-porn movie in which a woman is trying to weld (don't ask,
I never did get what the video was about). Anyway, one of the guys says
"Her mix is all to cock! That's too much acetylene." Then you see the TV
they're watching, and it's actually stick welding.

"Airplane" -- What does a jet airliner sound like from outside?

Not like a Super Connie, I'm sure....

But that was deliberately done for the comic effect.

--

FF

Bugs

I always like to look for rubber tire tracks in the long, long trail
awinding in an oater, with a TV antenna off in the background.
Bugs

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:13:51 GMT, Lew Hartswick wrote:
If (great big IF) I remember right my Saab 850 GT also had
emergency (parking) brake on the front discs.

Lew, I have a GT-850, and the ebrakes are on the back.
Which year did you have, '63 or '64? Does it still exist?

Dave Hinz

Robert Swinney

And how about one of the "spaghetti" Westerns where the scene was Am. Civil
War; they were using primacord to blow trees as best as I can remember.
The book "The Big Bang" sez primacord came along about 1930. That was news
to me. I always thought primacord was a WW2 innovation.

Bob Swinney
[...]

Gunner

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Robert Swinney

Jim sez:" History Channel is notorious for using clips
of vehicles from the wrong era... locomotives
and heavy equipment are my favorites."

Second that, Jim! Don't you get tired of seeing the same old WW1 "geyser of
dirt" used over and over again?

The best misuse of a locomotive I ever saw was one of the "return to the
future" movies. In it, MJ Fox was standing on the footboard of an 1880's
locomotive reputed to be grossly overpressured in some attempt to attain
warp speed. The steam pressure was causing the smoke-box nuts to unscrew.

Bob Swinney

Robert Swinney

Yeah, and look closely in the background sky to see if you can find
contrials.

Bob Swinney
"Bugs" wrote in message
ups.com...
I always like to look for rubber tire tracks in the long, long trail
awinding in an oater, with a TV antenna off in the background.
Bugs

BillP

No less than I love watching war flicks or films involving firearms
and picking out all the gaffes they make.
Gunner

Yeah.. especially the long, singing ricochets inside buildings and
caves.....
Bill

Peter Grey

I've always wanted to know if in the days before the car, the dirt roads
were "worn in" as they are now - with two separate tracks and no wear in the
center of the road. I would expect that the roads would be more universally
worn what with horses walking in the middle of the road in between the wheel
tracks. Watching some cowboy riding down a road worn into two separate
paths has always made me a little suspicious.

Peter

"Bugs" wrote in message
ups.com...
I always like to look for rubber tire tracks in the long, long trail
awinding in an oater, with a TV antenna off in the background.
Bugs

Charles Spitzer

wagons cut the tracks. lots of them left in what's left of the prairies.

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
link.net...
I've always wanted to know if in the days before the car, the dirt roads
were "worn in" as they are now - with two separate tracks and no wear in
the center of the road. I would expect that the roads would be more
universally worn what with horses walking in the middle of the road in
between the wheel tracks. Watching some cowboy riding down a road worn
into two separate paths has always made me a little suspicious.

Peter

"Bugs" wrote in message
ups.com...
I always like to look for rubber tire tracks in the long, long trail
awinding in an oater, with a TV antenna off in the background.
Bugs

Jim Stewart

Peter Grey wrote:

I've always wanted to know if in the days before the car, the dirt roads
were "worn in" as they are now - with two separate tracks and no wear in the
center of the road. I would expect that the roads would be more universally
worn what with horses walking in the middle of the road in between the wheel
tracks. Watching some cowboy riding down a road worn into two separate
paths has always made me a little suspicious.

I think the answer is yes. You can still
see parts of the Oregon Trail:

http://community.netidea.com/teekay/...regontrail.jpg

carl mciver

"Mark" wrote in message
| The Mission Impossible episode in which the techninerd finally managed
| to diagnose a burnt out Selenium rectifier in a TV monitor. Somewhat
| challenged in the olfactory department?
| /mark

Who runs selenium rectifiers anymore? I will tell you that they have a
distinct odor all their own upon blowing, but TV's were one of the first to
switch over to diodes. I don't think you'll find a nerd that's old enough
to know what a blown selenium rectifier smells like, which is actually the
part I find amusing.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:12:25 GMT, carl mciver wrote:

I don't think you'll find a nerd that's old enough
to know what a blown selenium rectifier smells like, which is actually the
part I find amusing.

(me: sheepishly raises hand...) - but, I've always been a
scrounger/surplus seeking kind of guy.

Worse, though, are tantalum capacitors. That taste stays with you for
_days_.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote:

I don't think you'll find a nerd that's old enough
to know what a blown selenium rectifier smells like, which is actually
the
part I find amusing.

(me: sheepishly raises hand...) - but, I've always been a
scrounger/surplus seeking kind of guy.

Worse, though, are tantalum capacitors. That taste stays with you for
_days_.

Along with the holes in your acoustic ceiling tiles, if you happen to hook
one up in reverse! G

LLoyd

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:30:02 GMT, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Worse, though, are tantalum capacitors. That taste stays with you for
_days_.

Along with the holes in your acoustic ceiling tiles, if you happen to hook
one up in reverse! G

I actually had one fail and it was brand new, and _apparently_ installed
with the proper polarity. I suspect it was mis-marked. Exciting, _and_
foul. Something about a timing circuit, probably back in the days when
555s and 74LS something were new and exciting.

BillP

Charles Spitzer wrote:
wagons cut the tracks. lots of them left in what's left of the prairies.

Yup... the thin steel wheels compacted the ruts MUCH more than the feet
of horses and oxen.

Bill
Lew Hartswick

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:13:51 GMT, Lew Hartswick wrote:

If (great big IF) I remember right my Saab 850 GT also had
emergency (parking) brake on the front discs.

Lew, I have a GT-850, and the ebrakes are on the back.
Which year did you have, '63 or '64? Does it still exist?

Dave Hinz

You reliaze that was over 40 years ago. I've been through quite
a few cars since that. I do remember it was red, had a wood and
metal steering wheel and the oil system was an injector system
into the individual cylinders so it didn't have to mix with
the gas. Oh and the freewheeling (overunning clutch) transmission.
This was in central PA so seriously doubt it still exists except
as a pile of rust somewhere. :-)
...lew...
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:36:34 GMT, Lew Hartswick wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Lew, I have a GT-850, and the ebrakes are on the back.
Which year did you have, '63 or '64? Does it still exist?

You reliaze that was over 40 years ago.

Every time I need a part not on the parts cars, yes. Lots of good lathe
and mill time lately, though.

I've been through quite
a few cars since that. I do remember it was red, had a wood and
metal steering wheel and the oil system was an injector system
into the individual cylinders so it didn't have to mix with
the gas. Oh and the freewheeling (overunning clutch) transmission.

Aren't those a blast? _nothing_ better in the winter. My current model
Saab (a 9-5) can't hold a candle to it in terms of winter handling.

This was in central PA so seriously doubt it still exists except
as a pile of rust somewhere. :-)

Ah well. I need, well, who knows. If you had any parts or odds and
ends, I'd buy 'em.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:05:48 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
BillP quickly quoth:

No less than I love watching war flicks or films involving firearms
and picking out all the gaffes they make.
Gunner

Yeah.. especially the long, singing ricochets inside buildings and
caves.....

Or those outside, after you see them hit DIRT banks and stop behind
the near recipient.

----
A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it.
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Martin H. Eastburn

Selenium gas is poisonous.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

carl mciver wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
| The Mission Impossible episode in which the techninerd finally managed
| to diagnose a burnt out Selenium rectifier in a TV monitor. Somewhat
| challenged in the olfactory department?
| /mark

Who runs selenium rectifiers anymore? I will tell you that they have a
distinct odor all their own upon blowing, but TV's were one of the first to
switch over to diodes. I don't think you'll find a nerd that's old enough
to know what a blown selenium rectifier smells like, which is actually the
part I find amusing.

Martin H. Eastburn

Likely reverse voltage spikes from the supply. They can't take reverse voltage
at all.

The design is full of faults - the glow plug problem and the firebomb issue.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Worse, though, are tantalum capacitors. That taste stays with you for
_days_.

Along with the holes in your acoustic ceiling tiles, if you happen to hook
one up in reverse! G

I actually had one fail and it was brand new, and _apparently_ installed
with the proper polarity. I suspect it was mis-marked. Exciting, _and_
foul. Something about a timing circuit, probably back in the days when
555s and 74LS something were new and exciting.

JohnM

Karl Vorwerk wrote:
Saw a 914 once that had been filled with a little to much oil. Smoke was
pouring out the exhaust.
Karl

I had a Type 3 VW once, just got done reheading the motor and got it all
hooked up, had to take the wife to the hospital and didn't have
anything else to drive. I'd been pretty liberal with the oil while
assembling the thing and had only run it enough to confirm it sounded
good.. went down the road with it, had a remarkable trail of smoke
behind, on one curve where I could see back a ways the smoke trailed for
a good half-mile before dissipating to where there was cars to be seen.
It cleared up just as I got to the hospital, drove past about three CHP
cars in the hospital parking lot, thought sure I'd get arrested for
being such an asshole but they didn't even notice.

John
Gunner

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:10:17 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

wagons cut the tracks. lots of them left in what's left of the prairies.

Ayup. Hooves tend to pack the soil between the wheels..the wheels
tended to slice deep.

Gunner, who has seen Pattons tank tracks out in the California desert.
70 yrs after the fact.

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I've always wanted to know if in the days before the car, the dirt roads
were "worn in" as they are now - with two separate tracks and no wear in
the center of the road. I would expect that the roads would be more
universally worn what with horses walking in the middle of the road in
between the wheel tracks. Watching some cowboy riding down a road worn
into two separate paths has always made me a little suspicious.

Peter

"Bugs" wrote in message
ups.com...
I always like to look for rubber tire tracks in the long, long trail
awinding in an oater, with a TV antenna off in the background.
Bugs

for torturing the cat." Gunner

jim rozen

In article , Jim Stewart says...

History Channel is notorious for using clips
of vehicles from the wrong era... locomotives
and heavy equipment are my favorites.

The quickest way to get a smack it to keep stopping movies
to say "look, they're using the correct pin and link coupler
for the railcars!"

Or, "look, that's exactly the right phone for the period, it's a 102."

Or "they never used that kind of cord on telephones then."

Some of the set dressers are getting very, very good. One of
the best period films to watch is _Road_to_Perdition_ because
those folks really knew their stuff. I can only find
one or two goofs in the entire thing.

Jim

please reply to:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"jim rozen" wrote in message
Some of the set dressers are getting very, very good. One of
the best period films to watch is _Road_to_Perdition_ because
those folks really knew their stuff. I can only find
one or two goofs in the entire thing.

We did the SFX for a movie this last spring. It was set in 1966. The
Cushmans ran (and started) like Cushmans. The fireworks were all
paper-and-string styles authentic to the sixties. The clothes, the cars...
everything. The continuity folks were hawks, finding all sorts of
anachronistic things, like the wrong styles of signage on buildings, jewelry
that was wrong, etc. We even had an arborist on set to ensure that there
were no PLANTS visible that wouldn't have been commonly available in 1966 in
Florida.

'Course... going back ONLY to 1966 isn't quite as hard as being authentic to
a period, say, a hundred years back.

LLoyd

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:58:29 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Likely reverse voltage spikes from the supply. They can't take reverse voltage
at all.

Not in _my_ design, nope, couldn't be. Besides, the replacement
functioned for years, at least. So I still suspect the markings or,
possibly, the guy who fab'd the board but that's unlikely (ahem) maybe.

Eregon

jim rozen wrote in
:

In article , Jim Stewart
says...

History Channel is notorious for using clips
of vehicles from the wrong era... locomotives
and heavy equipment are my favorites.

The quickest way to get a smack it to keep stopping movies
to say "look, they're using the correct pin and link coupler
for the railcars!"

Or, "look, that's exactly the right phone for the period, it's a 102."

Or "they never used that kind of cord on telephones then."

Some of the set dressers are getting very, very good. One of
the best period films to watch is _Road_to_Perdition_ because
those folks really knew their stuff. I can only find
one or two goofs in the entire thing.

Jim

One of the best I've ever seen is the movie "ZULU" - the one with Michael
Caine and Jack Hawkins.

Among other "details", they even managed to find Martini rifles for the
cast to use - and use properly!
Jim Stewart

Eregon wrote:
jim rozen wrote in
:

In article , Jim Stewart
says...

[...]

"ZULU" is one of those movies that I can't walk
away from when it's on. Superb attention to detail,
acting and a great story.

Emmo

Not technically inept, but I really get ****ed off at the portrayal of
mental disorders in popular culture.

I am quite familiar with the very challenging condition of Obsessive
Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and the movie "As Good As It Gets" and the tv
show "Monk" totally misrepresent(ed) the problems as humorous and amusing
eccentricities...

David R. Birch

John Chase wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote...

[ snip ]

Have folks here seen the film "The Full Monty"? It's a great film, but it
contains one classic of this kind. A few unemployed steelworkers are
watching a semi-porn movie in which a woman is trying to weld (don't ask,
I never did get what the video was about). Anyway, one of the guys says
"Her mix is all to cock! That's too much acetylene." Then you see the TV
they're watching, and it's actually stick welding.

"Airplane" -- What does a jet airliner sound like from outside?

Not like a Super Connie, I'm sure....

-jc-

"Airplane" was a parody, the wrong engine noise was deliberate!

David
Koz

Emmo wrote:

Not technically inept, but I really get ****ed off at the portrayal of
mental disorders in popular culture.

I am quite familiar with the very challenging condition of Obsessive
Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and the movie "As Good As It Gets" and the tv
show "Monk" totally misrepresent(ed) the problems as humorous and amusing
eccentricities...

That cheeses me also....except in my case it's misrepresentation of
depression and bipolar the same as being on the edge of axe murderer.

Relly cheeses me also when news uses the term "...history of mental
disrder." The only purpose is to make people assume that anyone with
any mild and treatable disorder is potentially "scary". The scary ones
are the ones who HAVEN'T had any treatment.

Koz

RAM^3

Koz wrote in
:

Emmo wrote:

Not technically inept, but I really get ****ed off at the portrayal of
mental disorders in popular culture.

I am quite familiar with the very challenging condition of Obsessive
Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and the movie "As Good As It Gets" and the
tv show "Monk" totally misrepresent(ed) the problems as humorous and
amusing eccentricities...

That cheeses me also....except in my case it's misrepresentation of
depression and bipolar the same as being on the edge of axe murderer.

Relly cheeses me also when news uses the term "...history of mental
disrder." The only purpose is to make people assume that anyone with
any mild and treatable disorder is potentially "scary". The scary
ones are the ones who HAVEN'T had any treatment.

Koz

Yabut it's easier to identify those that *have* had treatment than those
that *haven't*!

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:41:06 -0700, Koz wrote:

Emmo wrote:

Not technically inept, but I really get ****ed off at the portrayal of
mental disorders in popular culture.

That cheeses me also....except in my case it's misrepresentation of
depression and bipolar the same as being on the edge of axe murderer.

Well, sure. But the thing is, they're ~artists~, and can't be bothered
learning about the subjects they're portraying. And they never let the
truth get in the way of telling a story, on this or any other topic.
I'm sure it's not intentionally singling out mental illness, it's just a
case of "You notice errors in the subjects that matter to you". How
many times have we seen revolvers with silencers, or with dozens of
shots without reloading, or which magically eject brass? Someone who
doesn't understand revolvers wouldn't see much if any problem with that.
Keep in mind the writer just wants a plot device; they're not
knowledgeable enough to know how ignorant they are.

The exceptions, when research is done well, are rare enough to be
notable.

Dave Hinz

Koz

Emmo wrote:

[...]

Oh, yea. I do understand that the story is not as good unless you take
it to the extreme. It's just frustrating that the message which gets
across is generally the "insanity" of the small percentage rather than
the coping and operational abilities of the high percentage....rough
stastics show that 10 percent or so of the people you deal with have
some major mental related problem..mostly likely it's not the 10% you
think..those people are just plain ol crazy

I suppose it's similar to the protrayal that people with guns in their
house are either all gang members/crooks or nutcase rednecks who shoot
anything that walks across their yard. MUCH better story than the safe
gun owner.

Reality is boring.

Koz

jim rozen

In article , Koz says...

....rough
stastics show that 10 percent or so of the people you deal with have
some major mental related problem..

Hmm. I think the number here where I work is higher than that.

"ya don't have to be crazy to work here, but it helps!"

Jim

please reply to:
JohnM

David R. Birch wrote:
John Chase wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote...

[ snip ]

Have folks here seen the film "The Full Monty"? It's a great film,
but it contains one classic of this kind. A few unemployed
steelworkers are watching a semi-porn movie in which a woman is
trying to weld (don't ask, I never did get what the video was about).
Anyway, one of the guys says "Her mix is all to cock! That's too much
acetylene." Then you see the TV they're watching, and it's actually
stick welding.

"Airplane" -- What does a jet airliner sound like from outside?

Not like a Super Connie, I'm sure....

-jc-

"Airplane" was a parody, the wrong engine noise was deliberate!

David

As was the four-speed transmission being used on takeoff.

That was really a funny little movie. If you have the misfortune to see
the sequal, be sure to stay awake to see William Shatner first little
bit, it's funny.

John
Bart D. Hull

I used to think the same about a dirt road until my brother
and I started playing with a "bomber" stock car at a local
dirt track. Yep, the tires do squeal on a clay track when
you got it pitched sideways in a turn.

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Occupant wrote:
I can't count the number of times I've seen a commercial, show,
or movie where a vehicle is speeding around a corner and the
tires are squealing like crazy .... on a dirt road.

Oscar

oups.com...