Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default OT - technically inept commercials

Hi all,

This isn't on topic, but I felt the need to vent and I figured this NG
might understand.

Last night I saw a commercial for a tire store or manufacturer that
featured a woman parking a Jeep on a steep hill, pulling the parking
brake and getting out. The Jeep then slid down the hill with the front
wheels locked supposedly illustrating the point that the woman's car
needed tires. This bugged me because the parking brake doesn't work on
the front wheels...

Recently there was commercial that had a guy on a chopper sitting at a
light revving his engine. The sound of a largely unmuffled Harley
motor permeates the air. The chopper however, has an old Honda SOHC
750 motor.

My favorite was a guy in a fragrance commercial standing at the back of
a bathtub Porsche with the rear cowl up and... wait for it... steam
coming out. I suppose I shoould be impressed that he had the cowl on
the right end of the car open.

There are many more I've noticed over the years. One would think that
ad agencies would employ technically aware to prevent stupid stuff like
this. I guess the reality is that most folks don't notice.

Rant off,

Peter