Mark

The Mission Impossible episode in which the techninerd finally managed
to diagnose a burnt out Selenium rectifier in a TV monitor. Somewhat
challenged in the olfactory department?
/mark

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

wrote:

Hi all,

This isn't on topic, but I felt the need to vent and I figured this NG
might understand.

Last night I saw a commercial for a tire store or manufacturer that
featured a woman parking a Jeep on a steep hill, pulling the parking
brake and getting out. The Jeep then slid down the hill with the front
wheels locked supposedly illustrating the point that the woman's car
needed tires. This bugged me because the parking brake doesn't work on
the front wheels...

Recently there was commercial that had a guy on a chopper sitting at a
light revving his engine. The sound of a largely unmuffled Harley
motor permeates the air. The chopper however, has an old Honda SOHC
750 motor.

My favorite was a guy in a fragrance commercial standing at the back of
a bathtub Porsche with the rear cowl up and... wait for it... steam
coming out. I suppose I shoould be impressed that he had the cowl on
the right end of the car open.

There are many more I've noticed over the years. One would think that
ad agencies would employ technically aware to prevent stupid stuff like
this. I guess the reality is that most folks don't notice.

Rant off,

Peter

Didja ever think that maybe they do that deliberately just to catch your
attention, Peter?

Naw, they couldn't be that smart....Or could they?

Your post is very reminicent of my going to the movies with a bunch of
my MIT classmates back in the 50s and hearing loud guffaws and derisive
comments every time there was a techno impossibility on screen,
particularly if it was a sci-fi movie.

The years take their toll on my memory, and the only one I can recall
laughing at now was a scene from a horror movie, inside some ancient
castle with the wall torches casting shadows of their own flames on the
walls behind them because of the Kleig lights used to illuminate the scene.

Jeff