Junior Member

Default Noisy neighbours

I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on sound proofing and how effective it would be?

Mark wrote:
I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can

hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on

sound
proofing and how effective it would be?

Been there, done that, gotta say my heart goes out to you. You might
want to peruse my thread on "Neighbor's Wood-Burning," only because
what some of the posters say is true: no matter what you do to remedy
the situation and how in the RIGHT you are, you will be seen by these
people and perhaps others in the building as the bad guy.

If you don't have a lease, move (and in a rural area, try to rent a
mobile home instead).

Finally, if moving is not an option, do this: go to the Salvation Army
store, get an *old* television, and put the "snow" on. This will at
least mask the sound of the music. Unfortunately, I'm sure what you're
reacting to is the bass. This is more difficult to escape from, and I
don't have any suggestions.

I'm serious when I say I'll be praying for you. If people had any idea
how noise equals torture in modern society, maybe they'd be less
hurtful. Maybe, but probably not. It's the trouble with living in the
twenty-first century, with SurroundSound.

Joseph Meehan

Mark wrote:
I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on
sound proofing and how effective it would be?

http://www.soundproofing.org/

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well.
(Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block
sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall
studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling
through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially
worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical
fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the
sound will also help.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

William W. Plummer

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Mark wrote:

[...]

Or you can fight fire with fire. Get a few 12" woofers and screw them
to the studs. Play Anthrax "The Persistence of Time" every once in
awhile, being certain to have an adequate supply of ear plugs for your
family to use. That CD is far from "music" and sounds more like two
trains coliding.
m Ransley

If you rent complain to the landlord, If it is a condo, the association.
At 10 00pm the police may help, that is late.

Sexytom976

I would probably do the same thing... LOL

Just find out what time they go to sleep and fire it up!
Ahhh nothing like firing up every gas appliance at 8:00am
on a sunday

EL

Here's another variation on the "fight fire with fire" theme:

Many years ago a friend of mine had a problem: a nearby neighbor would practice playing her flute at all hours of the night
(and wasn't particularly good). The houses were close together in the neighborhood, and this was in the summer when everyone
had the windows open.

He got his hands on a sound-effects recording that featured about 20 minutes of people hysterically laughing. Placed
speakers in the windows, put on the recording, and cranked it up to full volume.

The late-night flute playing stopped!

Eric Law

"Mark" wrote in message ...

I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on sound
proofing and how effective it would be?

--
Mark

Joe Bobst

Or you can fight fire with fire. Get a few 12" woofers and screw them
to the studs. Play Anthrax "The Persistence of Time" every once in awhile,
being certain to have an adequate supply of ear plugs for your family to use.
That CD is far from "music" and sounds more like two trains coliding.

That's a hoot.
Used to know a wild man years ago who used to operate his chain saw (windows
open of course) when late hour revelry next door got too intense. Holding the
handle firmly against the wall transmitted the racket quite well and
claims are that the nuisance abated after the second time. HTH

Joe
John Harlow

The late-night flute playing stopped!

That's pretty doggone funny.

Speaking of dogs, we once had a neighbor with an incessantly barking dog. A
few minutes with a bullhorn giving him a taste of his own medicine did the
trick. It was surprising how well it worked.

Halvey

I had an issue like this while living in an apartment during college.
The girl downstairs decided that the recorder was her instrument. To
save her roommates the grief, she would practice outside, right below
our windows. We would moan and groan as she practiced 'Oh When the
Saints' to no avail. Finally one day, fed up, I went out on the walkway
while she was playing and whistled along with her. She figured it out
after a few bars, and the outdoor playing stopped cold.

"Mark" wrote in message ...

I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on sound
proofing and how effective it would be?

--
Mark

Gary R. Lloyd

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:24:39 +0000, Mark
wrote:

I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on sound
proofing and how effective it would be?

When I lived in an apartment, my neighbor turned up his stereo until
it shook the walls. Each time he did this I went down the basement and
tripped his electrical breaker. He bragged to everyone that his sound
system was so powerful that every time he turned it up it tripped the
breaker. And he turned it down.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS
HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software
https://www.merchantamerica.com/tmethod/

Andy

There is nothing worse than a beginning clarinet player..

Clarinet: " The evil (wood)wind that blows nobody good"

It can be countered by learning to play the Sousaphone........

........ a cooler of beer, a Sousaphone, and ..... hit don't git no
better... !!!!!

Andy

William W. Plummer

Joe Bobst wrote:

Or you can fight fire with fire. Get a few 12" woofers and screw them
to the studs. Play Anthrax "The Persistence of Time" every once in awhile,
being certain to have an adequate supply of ear plugs for your family to use.
That CD is far from "music" and sounds more like two trains coliding.

That's a hoot.
Used to know a wild man years ago who used to operate his chain saw (windows
open of course) when late hour revelry next door got too intense. Holding the
handle firmly against the wall transmitted the racket quite well and
claims are that the nuisance abated after the second time. HTH

The other side of the coin: A friend moved into a new apartment and
started practicing on his grand piano at 3AM. A neighbor called and
complained very politely. My fried replied, "Sir. This is Wolfgang
Steinberg the Third. Do you know how much some people _pay_ to hear me
play?" The neighbor never called again.

effi

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
Or you can fight fire with fire. Get a few 12" woofers and screw them
to the studs. Play Anthrax "The Persistence of Time" every once in
awhile,
being certain to have an adequate supply of ear plugs for your family to
use.
That CD is far from "music" and sounds more like two trains coliding.

That's a hoot.
Used to know a wild man years ago who used to operate his chain saw
(windows
open of course) when late hour revelry next door got too intense. Holding
the
handle firmly against the wall transmitted the racket quite well and
claims are that the nuisance abated after the second time. HTH

Joe

"they gave marcel ledbetter that beer joint"

effi

"Mark" wrote in message

I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on sound
proofing and how effective it would be?

--
Mark

sounds like you can't move or you would have

assuming you live in an incorporated area (eg. city, etc.), you probably
have law breaking neighbors, not just noisy neighbors

as someone mentioned, if they're breaking noise laws, you might invoke the
laws

you don't indicate if you live in an apartment, but it sounds like you might

if so, structural changes are probably out unless your landlord makes them

maybe piling up a bunch of nonflammable pillows and nonflammable sound
retardant drapes over that wall, with a little dead airspace would decrease
the noise deadening

white noise generators are okay to help mask unwanted noise but you still
have to listen to the white noise

the fighting fire with fire method opens yourself up to the same noise laws
and gives them further social license to make even more noise toawrds you

Philip Lewis

"Joe Bobst" wrote:
Holding the handle firmly against the wall transmitted the racket
quite well and claims are that the nuisance abated after the second
time.

I would think putting the "working" end of the chainsaw to the wall
would be more effective.... albeit a little messier.
--
be safe.
flip

Peter H

Mark wrote:
I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on sound
proofing and how effective it would be?

If it's a condo then you are in luck Mark. If it's a rental then you
probably have little recourse.

I bought a condo just a few months ago and encountered the same type of
neighbour. Contacted the Property Manager a few times and problem solved.

It took a couple of months, but it's been worth it.

Good Luck

Peter H
JerryMouse

Mark wrote:
I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on
sound proofing and how effective it would be?

Earplugs. Fifty cents.

JustDave

"Mark" wrote in message

I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on sound
proofing and how effective it would be?

--
Mark

I had noisy teenagers for neighbors in a cheap apartment I once rented, and
they kept me up many nights with their loud stereo. Finally, one Sunday
night after midnight , after having the door slammed in my face with a
cheery f*** you while politely requesting them to turn it down, I unplugged
their electric meter from the side of the building and put it in the
dumpster. Instant quiet, and they soon moved, as the electric company
required another deposit they couldn't afford.

Jim Yanik

Well,most communities have noise ordinances that begin at 11 PM.
So,if they start up at 11:30 PM,call the cops and let them deal with
it.After a couple of times of this,you have solid records to go to the
management to have them deal with it.
If all else fails....
I go outside to the master meter/breaker panel and shut off their electric
power for a second or two.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Junior Member

All these suggestions very good and some quite funny. Not sure what a condo is as i live in UK. My house is brick built and semi detatched.

A few more points tho. I have a 4 yr old daughter so thrash metal at 3am would probably be pointless. On the earplug thing, great for when asleep but you know when you want to watch a nice film on the box then the movie goes quiet, all you can hear is some jazz or elvis music from next door. Not saying elvis or jazz is crap, but not my cup of tea.

On the police front tho, I called them and they said they were powerless because its on their property, however if they were causing a disturbance in the street then it would be a public disorder offence. They suggeted ringing council environmental health. they would do bugger all probably.

Would have to go the sound deadening way but I know its gonna be expensive.

If I had my way I would move but the wife loves the house and is good for local school for daughter.

AND they have two yorkshire terriers that don't bark , they yap yap. could do the poison thing but thats not humane.....is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMouse
Mark wrote:
I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on
sound proofing and how effective it would be?

Earplugs. Fifty cents.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jim Yanik wrote:
cycle the breaker on and off a few times and you could blow his amp or
speakers with the surges.

When I was in college the guy in the next room over used to play his stereo loud
all the time. He finally tore it when he decided to throw a party in the suite
lounge (directly across from my room) right in the middle of exams. Enough was
enough.... he left his speakers in the lounge when he finally crawled off to bed
at 0200.

Shortly after that, I went to work. I opened the back of each case and
installed a 1000 ohm resistor in series with the speakers. The next day he put
the speakers back in his room and turned it on. You could hear sound out of
them but the volume was almost nonexistent. He turned them up. The resistors
got hot and I assume they melted because shortly after that all sound ceased.

Being the emotional sort, he heaved his amplifier out the window (we lived on
the third floor of the dorm). Problem solved. I didn't have to listen to his
stereo the rest of the year. Since he then flunked out, I didn't have to listen
to them the following year either.

God helps those who help themselves.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Erma1ina

Mark wrote:

I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on sound
proofing and how effective it would be?

--
Mark

I can't think of an effective way to sound proof.

HOWEVER, used low-watt CB AM radios (e.g., Cobras) with antennas are
pretty cheap, so here's a thought in the "fight fire with fire" vein:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...0b450f0086065d

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...73d4a63d340185

Joseph Meehan

Mark wrote:
All these suggestions very good and some quite funny. Not sure what a
condo is as i live in UK. My house is brick built and semi detatched.

Generally it means one unit of a group of units or apartments commonly
owned by all the residents who commonly take care of all the shared and
outside facilities. They would have an association to make rules and
decisions.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Jim Yanik

"JustDave" wrote in
m:

I had noisy teenagers for neighbors in a cheap apartment I once
rented, and they kept me up many nights with their loud stereo.
Finally, one Sunday night after midnight , after having the door
slammed in my face with a cheery f*** you while politely requesting
them to turn it down, I unplugged their electric meter from the side
of the building and put it in the dumpster. Instant quiet, and they
soon moved, as the electric company required another deposit they
couldn't afford.

THAT'S ballsy!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Stormin Mormon

Some years ago, I had a friend who was a TV repairman. He had an
oscilloscope, and some of that other odd equipment. Well, one of his
neighbors was busy playing some kind of music. Opera, I want to think.

He built an oscillator, and got a couple tweeters. He rigged a high pitch
noise th at was outside his hearing range (like dog whistles that people
can't hear). Anyhow, every time she turned her opera on, he turned his
oscillator on.

She complained to th e landlord. Who was male, and elderly. He couldn't hear
a thing, and thought she was loony.

Now, as to your concerns, I suggest the direct approach. Talk to your
neighbors, and ask them to turn the music off after 9 PM.

Failing that, call the town and ask about noise ordainances.

Failing that, check out the soundproofing stuff.

Failing that, move house.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mark" wrote in message

I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on sound
proofing and how effective it would be?

--
Mark

Stormin Mormon

Reminds me of the Andy Griffith Show. "Wow, that was some jugging, Pa
Darling".

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is nothing worse than a beginning clarinet player..

Clarinet: " The evil (wood)wind that blows nobody good"

It can be countered by learning to play the Sousaphone........

........ a cooler of beer, a Sousaphone, and ..... hit don't git no
better... !!!!!

Andy

Stormin Mormon

Start reloading shotgun shell blanks for skeet practice in the back yard?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus