Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jim Yanik wrote:
cycle the breaker on and off a few times and you could blow his amp or
speakers with the surges.

When I was in college the guy in the next room over used to play his stereo loud
all the time. He finally tore it when he decided to throw a party in the suite
lounge (directly across from my room) right in the middle of exams. Enough was
enough.... he left his speakers in the lounge when he finally crawled off to bed
at 0200.

Shortly after that, I went to work. I opened the back of each case and
installed a 1000 ohm resistor in series with the speakers. The next day he put
the speakers back in his room and turned it on. You could hear sound out of
them but the volume was almost nonexistent. He turned them up. The resistors
got hot and I assume they melted because shortly after that all sound ceased.

Being the emotional sort, he heaved his amplifier out the window (we lived on
the third floor of the dorm). Problem solved. I didn't have to listen to his
stereo the rest of the year. Since he then flunked out, I didn't have to listen
to them the following year either.

God helps those who help themselves.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN