Googly

Default Noisy bathroom pull cord light

Hi!

My neighbours obviously have weak bladders.
Never in all my life have I heard 2 people going to to the toilet so
often.

Every time they go to the toilet I can hear the pull cord light
switching on and off. It's like they are in my bathroom.

Whoever invented those hiddeous and noisy switches should be thrashed
with a wet fish.... repeatedly.

Does anyone have a suggestions?
Is it possible to remove the noisy switch thingy? (That is the tech
term!)
Can you buy quiet ones?
Or soundproof it in anyway?

Thanks,
Googly!
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Googly wrote:
My neighbours obviously have weak bladders.
Never in all my life have I heard 2 people going to to the toilet so
often.

Every time they go to the toilet I can hear the pull cord light
switching on and off. It's like they are in my bathroom.

Whoever invented those hiddeous and noisy switches should be thrashed
with a wet fish.... repeatedly.

Whoever built your house would be my first choice. If you hear the switch,
you'll hear plenty else.

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John

Googly wrote:
Hi!

My neighbours obviously have weak bladders.
Never in all my life have I heard 2 people going to to the toilet so
often.

Every time they go to the toilet I can hear the pull cord light
switching on and off. It's like they are in my bathroom.

Whoever invented those hiddeous and noisy switches should be thrashed
with a wet fish.... repeatedly.

Does anyone have a suggestions?
Is it possible to remove the noisy switch thingy? (That is the tech
term!)
Can you buy quiet ones?
Or soundproof it in anyway?

Thanks,
Googly!

Don't know the answer to a quiet switch, but a friend of mine had the same
problem with his three kids getting up in the night. When one got up and
'clunked' the switch it must have disturbed one of the others, when child
number 2 'cluncked' the switch.....This went on for ages before he hit upon
the idea of having a infa red passive (like on an outside light) wired in so
the light came on automatically when somebody walked into the bathroom.

HTH

John

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Googly wrote:
Hi!

My neighbours obviously have weak bladders.
Never in all my life have I heard 2 people going to to the toilet so
often.

Every time they go to the toilet I can hear the pull cord light
switching on and off. It's like they are in my bathroom.

Whoever invented those hiddeous and noisy switches should be thrashed
with a wet fish.... repeatedly.

Does anyone have a suggestions?
Is it possible to remove the noisy switch thingy? (That is the tech
term!)
Can you buy quiet ones?
Or soundproof it in anyway?

I've looked for one, and failed, in the past; they were all what I would
call noisy.

I think John's idea is best.

Si

Brett Jackson

"Googly" wrote in message
om...
Hi!

My neighbours obviously have weak bladders.
Never in all my life have I heard 2 people going to to the toilet so
often.

Every time they go to the toilet I can hear the pull cord light
switching on and off. It's like they are in my bathroom.

Whoever invented those hiddeous and noisy switches should be thrashed
with a wet fish.... repeatedly.

Does anyone have a suggestions?
Is it possible to remove the noisy switch thingy? (That is the tech
term!)
Can you buy quiet ones?
Or soundproof it in anyway?

Thanks,
Googly!

I have this (IP44) PIR from TLC fitted in by bathroom. It works very well.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPIR180.html

rockdoctor

Am I right, you are looking for advice on how to change your
neighbour's bathroom lightswitch (presumably without their
permission)?

I would wait until they are away, then chisel out enough bricks to get
into their bathroom, then refit their pull switch with a rubber sheet
or pad between it and the ceiling to break the acoustic coupling
between it and the ceiling joists.

Getting the bricks back in place is going to be tricky, but clearly
worth the trouble....

Googly

Thanks all for the replies.

John:
Good idea, not sure if they neighbour would go for this though.

Dave:
This is the only noise issue I have in the flat.
I think it is amplified by the ceiling cavity.

Si:
I can't believe quiet operation switches do not exist.
From what I have been reading on web this is a common issue.

As the noise is amplified (I think) in the cavity between their
ceiling and my floor. What do you think the possibilities are for
trying to the fill some of the cavity, at least surrounding the unit,
with wool or foam?

Any more comments much appreciated

Thanks,
Googly.

"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote in message ...
Googly wrote:
Hi!

My neighbours obviously have weak bladders.
Never in all my life have I heard 2 people going to to the toilet so
often.

Every time they go to the toilet I can hear the pull cord light
switching on and off. It's like they are in my bathroom.

Whoever invented those hiddeous and noisy switches should be thrashed
with a wet fish.... repeatedly.

Does anyone have a suggestions?
Is it possible to remove the noisy switch thingy? (That is the tech
term!)
Can you buy quiet ones?
Or soundproof it in anyway?

I've looked for one, and failed, in the past; they were all what I would
call noisy.

I think John's idea is best.

Si

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Googly wrote:
Thanks all for the replies.

Si:
I can't believe quiet operation switches do not exist.
From what I have been reading on web this is a common issue.

They must exist, but not in the sheds or my local leccy retailer - they were
all "Click Clonk!" things, and I felt I was getting a bit obsessive whilst
searching the internet for ages for a quiet switch

Si

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
rockdoctor wrote:
I would wait until they are away, then chisel out enough bricks to get
into their bathroom, then refit their pull switch with a rubber sheet
or pad between it and the ceiling to break the acoustic coupling
between it and the ceiling joists.

I doubt there are any bricks separating the houses. That's the whole
problem...

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Owain

"Googly" wrote
| Thanks all for the replies.
| John:
| Good idea, not sure if they neighbour would go for this though.
| Dave:
| This is the only noise issue I have in the flat.
| I think it is amplified by the ceiling cavity.

Try a Dimpull (dimmer pull switch) from TLC and others.

Owain

StephenC

Googly wrote:
Hi!

My neighbours obviously have weak bladders.
Never in all my life have I heard 2 people going to to the toilet so
often.

Every time they go to the toilet I can hear the pull cord light
switching on and off. It's like they are in my bathroom.

Whoever invented those hiddeous and noisy switches should be thrashed
with a wet fish.... repeatedly.

Does anyone have a suggestions?
Is it possible to remove the noisy switch thingy? (That is the tech
term!)
Can you buy quiet ones?
Or soundproof it in anyway?

I've looked for one, and failed, in the past; they were all what I would
call noisy.

I think John's idea is best.

Si

About 4 years ago, when I was fitting out my bathroom, I found
that the B & Q own-brand pull-switches were fairly quiet. Do they
still do their own range?
Arthur

"John" wrote in message
Googly wrote:
[...]

Infra-red..not a good investment for those people who often doze off while
sat upon the toilet after a few too many. These folks are often saved from
entering deep sleep by the existance of
the bog-standard (Ugg!) light. Thunderbox slumberers will not be very
pleased with their I-R
switch when the light returns because their right elbow may still be
attached to his knee and face still being nursed by the corresponding hand
but his nose is but 1cm from the tiles.

Arthur.

Frank Erskine

In article , Arthur
writes

"John" wrote in message
Googly wrote:
[...]

What you need is a movement detector... :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Pet

Frank Erskine wrote:

Infra-red..not a good investment for those people who often doze off while
sat upon the toilet after a few too many.

What you need is a movement detector... :-)

or even a "motion" detector.

:¬))

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Pet wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:

Infra-red..not a good investment for those people who often doze
off while sat upon the toilet after a few too many.

What you need is a movement detector... :-)

or even a "motion" detector.

That warrants a "LOL!"

Si

Arthur

Pet wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:

Infra-red..not a good investment for those people who often doze
off while sat upon the toilet after a few too many.

What you need is a movement detector... :-)

or even a "motion" detector.

That warrants a "LOL!"

Si

Potty talk! tch! tch!

Changing a light bulb on R.C.M Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 June 6th 04 12:58 AM
HELP fitting a bathroom ceiling light! Shaun UK diy 8 June 1st 04 10:10 PM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM
silent pull cord switches FirstTimer UK diy 13 December 8th 03 04:38 PM