Joseph Meehan

Mark wrote:
I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hear
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We have
now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on
sound proofing and how effective it would be?

http://www.soundproofing.org/

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well.
(Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block
sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall
studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling
through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially
worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical
fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the
sound will also help.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math