Al Kondo

Default What do I look for in a high efficiency toilet??

I have recently been working on my toilet because of some simple
flapper leakage problems. While working on it, I decided to settle my
curiosity about how much water it took per flush. Much to my surprise
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

Thanks, Al Kondo
m Ransley

Consumer Reports tested about 100 of them, I have a pressure version it
works good but is super noisy, the neighbors can hear it to.

Minnie Bannister

We replaced two of our toilets by American Standard "Champion" models
(approx. $250 at Lowe's or HD). They flush well, except that I guess
they don't swirl the water as well as a larger-volume toilet. The result
is that traces -- but only traces -- of really sticky "stuff" sometimes
remain on the sides of the bowl; they usually dissolve in the standing
water after a short time.

AFAIK, the difference between the cheaper ones and the more expensive
ones is that the more expensive have larger waterways, both from the
tank to the bowl and from the bowl to the drain. BTW, I've seen some at
Lowe's that are way more than $300, but I think you're paying for fancy
styling then.

MB

On 08/26/04 08:27 am Al Kondo put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

I have recently been working on my toilet because of some simple
flapper leakage problems. While working on it, I decided to settle my
curiosity about how much water it took per flush. Much to my surprise
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

Brikp

Also look for a glazed trap - Its smoother internally and less likely to
clog. Kohler Wentworth is what I replace three toilets with. It works great
and didn't break the bank (About $100 if I remember correctly)

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
I have recently been working on my toilet because of some simple
flapper leakage problems. While working on it, I decided to settle my
curiosity about how much water it took per flush. Much to my surprise
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

Thanks, Al Kondo

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Al Kondo wrote:
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

I fail to see any economy when you have to flush it three times to get all the
crap to go down. I've had better luck tricking mine to hold more water in the
tank. It's amazing how much better it flushes with even just another half a
gallon of water.

Frankly, I'd hold onto the old one if I could repair it economically. In this
case, newer isn't necessarily better.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Doug Kanter

Go to www.consumerreports.com and pay the 7 or 8 bucks for a month of
membership. That allows you to read and print their product tests. For
toilets, they made artificial turds out of sponges and whatever else, and
actually flushed these things. Interesting and worthwhile report.

Al Kondo wrote:

I have recently been working on my toilet because of some simple
flapper leakage problems. While working on it, I decided to settle my
curiosity about how much water it took per flush. Much to my surprise
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

Thanks, Al Kondo

i had to replace an older toilet as the kids broke the tank.... the new
1.6 gallon toilet does not save water as you have to flush it about 3 to
4 times to do the same job as the older toilets.. keep the old toilet as
long as it is still working and can be used....

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:27:20 GMT, (Al Kondo) wrote:

I have recently been working on my toilet because of some simple
flapper leakage problems. While working on it, I decided to settle my
curiosity about how much water it took per flush. Much to my surprise
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

Others have replied, and all I want to tell you is that I have been
delighted with the American Standard Cadet round bowl Ravenna toilet I
bought at HD for $99: it removes *ALL* of our waste the *first* time
we deposit it and then flush, no smears. Now, I don't know how our
waste compares with others, but we've been happy with this toilet.
Interestingly, using the other toilet on the same floor (3.5 gallon
1965 Eljer) has been a reminder of how efficient this new one is at
removing the deposits with less than half the water. You can't go
wrong with this American Standard model unless you are the type of
person to only crap once a week, in which case, buy a Toto or a
Gerber. Good luck.
William W. Plummer

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Al Kondo wrote:

I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

I fail to see any economy when you have to flush it three times to get all the
crap to go down. I've had better luck tricking mine to hold more water in the
tank. It's amazing how much better it flushes with even just another half a
gallon of water.

I don't get it. First, water is cheap, $3 per 1000 gallons. Second,
there is no shortage of water in the world. Hydrocarbon combustion
constantly adds more. Most of the water is in polar ice and the oceans.

The Commonwealth of MA licenses each publically owned well for X many
gallons of water per day. THAT'S what causes the shortage!

Doug Kanter

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message

Second, there is no shortage of water in the world.

Everywhere? No shortage ANYWHERE? Why do you suppose many municipalities put
restrictions on water usage at certain times? Because there's enough?

Minnie Bannister

No. For us it was the old high-volume toilets we often had to flush more
than once (with a suitable interval between) because the crap clogged
the trap the first time round. (But I suppose it's possible that there
were good and not-so-good high-volume ones.)

Have never had to flush our AS Champions more than once.

MB

On 08/26/04 03:06 pm put fingers to keyboard and
launched the following message into cyberspace:

i had to replace an older toilet as the kids broke the tank.... the new
1.6 gallon toilet does not save water as you have to flush it about 3 to
4 times to do the same job as the older toilets.. keep the old toilet as
long as it is still working and can be used....

Mike Fritz

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

snip

I fail to see any economy when you have to flush it three times to get all the
crap to go down. I've had better luck tricking mine to hold more water in the
tank. It's amazing how much better it flushes with even just another half a
gallon of water.

snip

I agree. But many of the newer toilets actually work like they should.
My last apartment had a toilet that has a styrofoam float attached to
the flapper. Somehow, this made it so that when you flushed, the flapper
would shut when only have the tank had drained.

If you wanted more of a flush, you would hold down the handle for the
whole flush (not refill) cycle. This kept the flapper from shutting so
early. I think this is a great setup, depending on which number you do,
you can decide on the water saving feature, or a full flush.

The biggest problem I find with clogs is toilet paper. Some brands clog
more than others.
--Mike
Richard J Kinch

Al Kondo writes:

What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things.

You look for a Kohler Wellworth. End of story.
Red Neckerson

"Al Kondo" wrote in message

What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things.

I'd looked for one that would wipe your *ss when you are done.

Now THAT'S efficiency!!!

Michael Daly

On 26-Aug-2004, "William W. Plummer" wrote:

First, water is cheap, $3 per 1000 gallons.

Where you live is the whole world? _You_ may think that water
is cheap, but if you had to walk 5km each way to the nearest
well every day, you'd think that water was pretty expensive.
That's reality in some parts of the _real_ world.

The Commonwealth of MA licenses each publically owned well for X many
gallons of water per day. THAT'S what causes the shortage!

What is the marginal cost of the next unit of clean water? If
waste increases, you have to come up with _new_ sources and new
infrastructure to process it. That is $$$

In parts of the US, there has been a permanent drawdown in the water
table. Hence the push to control overuse.

What you need to do is wake up and realize what's really happening
with water in this world. Canada and Russia have lots of water; most
of that is not where people live. Most other countries do not have
lots water. Get over it.

Mike
Red Neckerson

"Michael Daly" wrote

Where you live is the whole world? _You_ may think that water
is cheap, but if you had to walk 5km each way to the nearest
well every day, you'd think that water was pretty expensive.
That's reality in some parts of the _real_ world.

What is the marginal cost of the next unit of clean water? If
waste increases, you have to come up with _new_ sources and new
infrastructure to process it. That is $$$

What you need to do is wake up and realize what's really happening
with water in this world. Canada and Russia have lots of water; most
of that is not where people live. Most other countries do not have
lots water. Get over it.

There is PLENTY of fresh water! God makes it all the time. If there are
people living in areas where there is no water, then you need to TELL THEM
TO MOVE!!!

I have all my faucets (including my outdoor ones!) running 24/7! I love to
hear the gurgling noise it makes as it goes down the drain!

Instead of worrying about a water shortage, why don't you just go hug a
tree! But don't do it too hard!! You might squeeze some moisture out of it,
and that would be wasting it, wouldn't it???

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!

William Brown

Look for a glazed trap, and an oversized trap. I have a toto which
works very well, but is pricey. My son had to replace one of his and
got an American Standard Cadet, which cost far less and appears to work
just as well. I went with him to Lowe's to buy it, and noticed that the
packaging and labels at the store don't give the information you need
(size of trap, etc.), so you have to get that elsewhere.

Al Kondo wrote:
I have recently been working on my toilet because of some simple
flapper leakage problems. While working on it, I decided to settle my
curiosity about how much water it took per flush. Much to my surprise
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

Thanks, Al Kondo

there.

Tom

"Michael Daly" wrote

[...]

Mike, you're right, and if people won't realize that the water situation is
dire, then their children will. Tom
Work at your leisure!
William W. Plummer

Tom wrote:
"Michael Daly" wrote

[...]

Please note that using water in a toilet does NOT "waste" it (pun!).
It is returned to nature where evaporation will separate it again,
forming rain, ... In fact withholding water from the environment is
how you create deserts! Use water. Enjoy life with out fear.

William W. Plummer

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Al Kondo writes:

What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things.

You look for a Kohler Wellworth. End of story.

Agreed. I have two of them. They work well inspite of being only 1.2
gpf as required by the People Republic of Mass.
William W. Plummer

Michael Daly wrote:

On 26-Aug-2004, "William W. Plummer" wrote:

First, water is cheap, $3 per 1000 gallons.

Where you live is the whole world? _You_ may think that water
is cheap, but if you had to walk 5km each way to the nearest
well every day, you'd think that water was pretty expensive.
That's reality in some parts of the _real_ world.

You say they have low volume toilets but walk 5km for water????

PIPES, dear friends, will move water from here to there.

The Commonwealth of MA licenses each publically owned well for X many
gallons of water per day. THAT'S what causes the shortage!

What is the marginal cost of the next unit of clean water? If
waste increases, you have to come up with _new_ sources and new
infrastructure to process it. That is $$$

It's not so bad. CA has many solar desalinization plants. I'm familiar
with the ones around San Francisco Bay. They've been in use for 30
years and work quite well.

In parts of the US, there has been a permanent drawdown in the water
table. Hence the push to control overuse.

You don't have to control people. Just build pipes and aqueducts. Even
the ancient Romans knew that.

What you need to do is wake up and realize what's really happening
with water in this world. Canada and Russia have lots of water; most
of that is not where people live. Most other countries do not have
lots water. Get over it.

You embarrass yourself.
Blue

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
Al Kondo wrote:
[...]

I agree. Hang on to that old toilet as they are not available anymore and
you can't go back to one when you find how much trouble the new ones are.
To address excess water use just use less water for urine by carefully
partially flushing manually or get one of those two stage flushers.

Michael Daly

On 26-Aug-2004, "William W. Plummer" wrote:

Please note that using water in a toilet does NOT "waste" it (pun!).
It is returned to nature where evaporation will separate it again,
forming rain, ...

Yeah, right. It always rains in the same place that the water evaporates!

According to your fantasies, the US midwest water table should be the same
now as it was 100 years ago. It ain't. Guess what - water extracted in
one place may end up as rain somewhere else! Duh!

Only an idiot would propose cleaning up lots of sewage loaded water when
they can save money and time by only having to process a little.

Mike
Michael Daly

On 26-Aug-2004, "William W. Plummer" wrote:

You say they have low volume toilets but walk 5km for water????

Where on Earth did I say anything about them having toilets?

PIPES, dear friends, will move water from here to there.

And _you_ will pay for it, right?

It's not so bad. CA has many solar desalinization plants. I'm familiar
with the ones around San Francisco Bay. They've been in use for 30
years and work quite well.

Desalination is one of, if not the, most expensive way to get fresh water.
Maybe you should actually learn something about water treatment and the
associated costs before blathering on.

Mike

Tom

CA's got solar desal plants?? Please show your sources! Tom
Work at your leisure!
Tom

I mean commercially viable stuff...The kind of thing the greater L.A. area can
use. Tom
Work at your leisure!
Alan

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:01:41 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

Al Kondo wrote:
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

I fail to see any economy when you have to flush it three times to get all the
crap to go down. I've had better luck tricking mine to hold more water in the
tank. It's amazing how much better it flushes with even just another half a
gallon of water.

Flushing three times with a new toilet is a myth. I had one before I
moved and wish I had one now. The old (13 years) water waster I have
now is a very lazy flusher and often has to be flushed twice. The
Kohler Wellworth that I had in my previous house never had to be
flushed more than once. I had it for only two years before moving,
but am sure it paid for itself in savings on water usage. Here it
isn't an issue as I don't pay by usage, but I am considering replacing
the old one just to get something that flushes properly.

Frankly, I'd hold onto the old one if I could repair it economically. In this
case, newer isn't necessarily better.

Very wrong.

Bob

"William W. Plummer" wrote in
message news:s%qXc.315054

I don't get it. First, water is cheap, $3 per 1000 gallons.

Where I live, combined charges for water and sewage, which is
based on water usage, add up to $.77 per 100 gallons.

Bob

Michael Daly

On 27-Aug-2004, Alan wrote:

I have
now is a very lazy flusher and often has to be flushed twice. The
Kohler Wellworth that I had in my previous house never had to be
flushed more than once.

The problem is that some folks have difficulty with a poorly made
product and then claim that _all_ of them are no good. There are
poor quality old style toilets too, but those are conveniently
ignored for the discussion.

When I was in Finland a couple of years ago, I found they used
dual flush 2/4 liter toilets that worked very well. In North
America, folks whine about 6l flush toilets. There are some
excellent 6l flush toilets on the market here - you just have
to shop wisely.

Mike

Minnie Bannister

It occurs to me to wonder whether some people are trying to use
low-flush tanks with older bowls. I can see that that could be a problem
if the older ones relied on brute force (i.e., sheer volume of water)
rather than smarter design and full glazing.

MB

On 08/26/04 11:01 am Mortimer Schnerd, RN put fingers to keyboard and
launched the following message into cyberspace:

I fail to see any economy when you have to flush it three times to get all the
crap to go down. I've had better luck tricking mine to hold more water in the
tank. It's amazing how much better it flushes with even just another half a
gallon of water.

Frankly, I'd hold onto the old one if I could repair it economically. In this
case, newer isn't necessarily better.

Blue

Forget high efficiency toilets and get happy with your old toilet. It
flushes better than any high efficiency one you are likely to put in its
place and is potentially more efficient as well.

Just cut the rubber bubble beneath your new non-leaking flapper enough to
cause a siphon for urine uses and hold it longer for bowel movements. (the
bubble float-holds the flap up until the tank nearly empties.) If you
accidently cut the bubble too much - as in removing it alltogether - just
hold it longer, enough to start the siphon flush necessary to carry off
urine.

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
I have recently been working on my toilet because of some simple
flapper leakage problems. While working on it, I decided to settle my
curiosity about how much water it took per flush. Much to my surprise
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

Thanks, Al Kondo

JerryMouse

Al Kondo wrote:
I have recently been working on my toilet because of some simple
flapper leakage problems. While working on it, I decided to settle my
curiosity about how much water it took per flush. Much to my surprise
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

Thanks, Al Kondo

Hmmm. At a difference of 2.4 gallons per flush and $3/1000 gallons, you'll
save about seven-tenths of a cent per flush. The cheap toilet, $75, should
pay for itself in a little over 10,000 flushes. Assuming 3 flushes per day
per person, that's 9 person/years.

A family of 3 could save enough water to pay for the new toilet in but three
years - for the cheap toilet. For the more expensive toilet, twelve years.
Less, of course, the opportunity cost of investing the $75 - $300 in the
stock market. The actual difference could be millions.

Michael Daly

On 27-Aug-2004, "JerryMouse" wrote:

It takes the same amount of effort to purify 1 gallon of water as it does 10
gallons. It what's IN the water that gets treated.

That'd get an F in the water treatment course I took getting my engineering
degree. The water gets treated - unless you know of a magical way to separate
the water from what's in it.

There's the cost of the pipes that have to be sized for the water, the
pumps, the filters...

Mike

Rudy

Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for a more efficient 1.5

gal model.
What I would like to know is what do you look for when buying one of these

things.
Also.... are they as efficient in flushing as the one I presently have??

Kohler (Wellworth) Highline "Comfort height" toilet. About 2" higher than a
standard toilet.
Had 3 in the last house and 3 more in this new one. $ 150.00 @ Lowes or HD

Michael Baugh

I put one in for my mother, she is very pleased. Especially
with the increased height. But put in a good flapper as you install it.
Hers is only about 4 months installed, already 'flushing itself'.

Rudy wrote in message

Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for a more efficient

1.5
gal model.
What I would like to know is what do you look for when buying one of

these
things.
Also.... are they as efficient in flushing as the one I presently

have??

Kohler (Wellworth) Highline "Comfort height" toilet. About 2" higher than

standard toilet.
Had 3 in the last house and 3 more in this new one. $ 150.00 @ Lowes or

HD

Jonathan Mau

Richard J Kinch ) writes:
Al Kondo writes:

What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things.

You look for a Kohler Wellworth. End of story.

I have to second this. We have this model and are happy with it. Another
low flow we have regularly clogs. Two or 3 people we know have also
purchased this model upon our recommendatuions and are also happy.

Jonathan
Red Neckerson

"Michael Baugh" wrote

I put one in for my mother, she is very pleased.

I put "one in" for your mother, too. She was VERY pleased!!!!

Michael Baugh

Yeah, she mentioned that.
Also asked for me to remind you that you left some "Depends" in
the kitchen where you laid them down. She realizes you have a
memory problem, too. So she told me to tell you that you had a
good time.

Red Neckerson wrote in message

"Michael Baugh" wrote