On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:27:20 GMT, (Al Kondo) wrote:

I have recently been working on my toilet because of some simple
flapper leakage problems. While working on it, I decided to settle my
curiosity about how much water it took per flush. Much to my surprise
I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush
line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage....
now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for
a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do
you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as
efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that
the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300.
That is quite a range. What is the difference??

Others have replied, and all I want to tell you is that I have been
delighted with the American Standard Cadet round bowl Ravenna toilet I
bought at HD for $99: it removes *ALL* of our waste the *first* time
we deposit it and then flush, no smears. Now, I don't know how our
waste compares with others, but we've been happy with this toilet.
Interestingly, using the other toilet on the same floor (3.5 gallon
1965 Eljer) has been a reminder of how efficient this new one is at
removing the deposits with less than half the water. You can't go
wrong with this American Standard model unless you are the type of
person to only crap once a week, in which case, buy a Toto or a
Gerber. Good luck.