1_Patriotic_Gal

Default Aaargh Killing black growth in toilet w/o killing 22 pound cat

My pet spent the week with a relatives dog and came back with a new learned
bad habit, drinking from the toilet -- If I leave the lid down a black mold
starts growing within a day or two and rapidly spreads - Even with the lid
open, without a toilet cleaner hanging, the mold grows -- It is definately
mold as it grows and grows! -- I have tried Lysol brand clip on toilet bowl
hangars but with the lid closed they are only effective for a few days. My
spouse doesn't like the smell of the hangar with the lid open and is
paranoid they will kill the cat if he drinks from the toilet with the lysol
brand Cling toilet cleaner hanger. So what are my options? Certainly
others have pets who drink from the toilet.

If I put nothing in the toilet, mold will grow, lid up or down. I also
don't want to eat away at the rubber tank flapper which I was frequently
replacing when I put cleaners in the tank; which is why we switched to a
bowl hangar. I have used a weekly cup of bleach in the bowl to kill
existing mold when it was an unbeatable problem when we first moved in -- I
would hope there is a more reasonable answer than doing this weekly to both
toilets. We are on city water.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

Speedy Jim

1_Patriotic_Gal wrote:

[...]

I'm surprised a 22 pounder can heft himself in there. g

Yes, chemicals will eat the rubber flappers. Replace the
flapper with the newer "red rubber" parts; these have very long life
in harsh environment. Add bleach to the tank water periodically;
it will be dilute enough not to harm the cat.

Jim
Joseph Meehan

1_Patriotic_Gal wrote:
[...]

Interesting.

I agree about the in tank cleaners. Leave them alone.

I don't think anything you hang in the bowl is going to really help.

Mold does not just grow. It needs food and the right conditions. Moist
conditions are not something you can do much about. However what about the
food. It has to have some source of food. Dust, what? Most water does not
come with much in the line of food for mold. I would vote for a very
careful cleaning of the tank and the bowl. Not with the standard toilet
bowl cleaners. Use a good cleanser. You are not trying to kill the mold,
you are trying to remove it and anything else that it may feed on. Could
some internal parts (like the flapper valve) be disintegrating and providing
food and a hiding place for the mold?

Exactly where is it growing? Maybe a new toilet seat would help and
removing or very often washing of any toilet seat cover would not hurt.

For the next few weeks be extra vigilant about cleaning. Not once a
week, but daily for a while. See what happens.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

Yes Wake up you are in a mold PIT find the cause the moisture
entry , fix it ......

rj

Sounds like "Iron bacteria", does it grow in the tank? If so, use "super
iron-out" in the tank periodically. We had a well with iron particles in
the water and the toilet tank quickly filled with what looked like some kind
of alien black seaweed. A teaspoonful of iron-out in the tank once or twice
a week cleaned it up.
RJ
"1_Patriotic_Gal" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

1_Patriotic_Gal

Thanks -- This sounds suprisingly similiar -- Although I would think my
water softener would get the Iron out -- Does any hardware or grocery store
sell "Iron Out"? -- Are there any negative consequences to using the
product -- Is "Iron Out" a brand name? Thanks in advance
"rj" wrote in message
[...]

Joseph Meehan

"rj" wrote in message
> [...]

rj made a good point, one I should have noted. Softeners don't get the
iron out if they are just softeners. Sorry I can't help you on this one. I
have no experience with iron problems as I live in a area with out such
problems.

BTW when you say it is at the rim of the bowl and grows up, do you mean
the water level? The rim is the very top of the bowl.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

jim

1_Patriotic_Gal wrote:

[...]

close the the bathroom door so the cat cannot get in the toilet or keep
the cat outside... remedy...

1_Patriotic_Gal

Yes the black spots are at the top of the bowl, 2 to 3 inches or more above
the water line and eventually spreads to the underside of the seat, only if
I do nothing (like when I was gone for 2 weeks), will the black stuff spread
to below the water line -- I came home and my wife had an all black toilet
bowl.

"rj" wrote in message

rj made a good point, one I should have noted. Softeners don't get

the
iron out if they are just softeners. Sorry I can't help you on this one.

have no experience with iron problems as I live in a area with out such
problems.

BTW when you say it is at the rim of the bowl and grows up, do you

mean
the water level? The rim is the very top of the bowl.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

rj

"Iron out" is a bleaching agent, converts the iron in the water to a salt,
kills the bacteria, and the water is sparkling clear. Do not use it with a
clorine bleach product. I've seen it in grocery stores and hardware stores.
Our water was so bad, we had tiny rust flecks in the laundry and my wife
used it instead of bleach a few times to get rid of the rusty spots in our
clothes. This was a "last resort" as it will really attack some dyes. As
for the pets, putting some in the tank at night, then a couple of flushes in
the morning will get rid of it. If you have to use it to clean the bowl,
then leave the lid down while it's working.

"rj" wrote in message
[...]

1_Patriotic_Gal

Jim,
I appreciate any further advice -- I previously tried your suggestion, but
the bathrooms are rather small -- The consequences:
1) The air circulation in the house is much better with the doors open as
the A/C air supply duct in there provides a lot of air that is needed in the
adjoining rooms.
2) The wife finds the air freshener (toilet hangar) smell overwhelmming on
entry when the door is kept closed

Unfortunately the cat is an indoor only cat and has been with the wife
longer than I have (1989).

Thanks again,
Andy

"jim" wrote in message ...
1_Patriotic_Gal wrote:

[...]

Remove Animal from email address

Hi Andy,

Before you start throwing toxic chemicals into the toillet, start by
pouring some vinegar in it or lemon juice concentrate in order to make
the water as awfully tasting as possible.

After a few weeks of not being able to stand the taste of the water,
the cat will give up on trying to drink from the bowl.

Then you can start with the plutonium-based mold disintegrating acid.

Good luck!

"jim" wrote in message ...
1_Patriotic_Gal wrote:

[...]

NorMinn

1_Patriotic_Gal wrote:
Awesome idea -- Thank You!

Looks good on paper, but too strong acid may end up etching the glaze in
the bowl. Is the bathroom ventilated adequately? I'd be inclined to
leave the lid down and clean once a week with a spot of bleach. I'd
start by filling the tank with a strong bleach solution and flushing
that to get what lurks in the innards the water passes through to the
tank rim. Be sure to scrub up under the rim because that is where it
gets the nastiest. My cat was smart, but he couldn't reach the knobs to
open doors, either )

Oscar_Lives

"1_Patriotic_Gal" wrote in message
news
Yes the black spots are at the top of the bowl, 2 to 3 inches or more

above
the water line and eventually spreads to the underside of the seat, only

if
I do nothing (like when I was gone for 2 weeks), will the black stuff

spread
to below the water line -- I came home and my wife had an all black toilet
bowl.

Don't you all flush regularly?