1_Patriotic_Gal

Default Aaargh Killing black growth in toilet w/o killing 22 pound cat

The mold starts at the rim of the bowl and grows up from there, a weekly
treatment of bleach ( 1cup in the bowl) kills the mold but only for a while.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
1_Patriotic_Gal wrote:
My pet spent the week with a relatives dog and came back with a new
learned bad habit, drinking from the toilet -- If I leave the lid
down a black mold starts growing within a day or two and rapidly
spreads - Even with the lid open, without a toilet cleaner hanging,
the mold grows -- It is definately mold as it grows and grows! -- I
have tried Lysol brand clip on toilet bowl hangars but with the lid
closed they are only effective for a few days. My spouse doesn't
like the smell of the hangar with the lid open and is paranoid they
will kill the cat if he drinks from the toilet with the lysol brand
Cling toilet cleaner hanger. So what are my options? Certainly
others have pets who drink from the toilet.

If I put nothing in the toilet, mold will grow, lid up or down. I
also don't want to eat away at the rubber tank flapper which I was
frequently replacing when I put cleaners in the tank; which is why we
switched to a bowl hangar. I have used a weekly cup of bleach in the
bowl to kill existing mold when it was an unbeatable problem when we
first moved in -- I would hope there is a more reasonable answer than
doing this weekly to both toilets. We are on city water.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

Interesting.

I agree about the in tank cleaners. Leave them alone.

I don't think anything you hang in the bowl is going to really help.

Mold does not just grow. It needs food and the right conditions.

Moist
conditions are not something you can do much about. However what about

the
food. It has to have some source of food. Dust, what? Most water does

not
come with much in the line of food for mold. I would vote for a very
careful cleaning of the tank and the bowl. Not with the standard toilet
bowl cleaners. Use a good cleanser. You are not trying to kill the mold,
you are trying to remove it and anything else that it may feed on. Could
some internal parts (like the flapper valve) be disintegrating and

providing
food and a hiding place for the mold?

Exactly where is it growing? Maybe a new toilet seat would help and
removing or very often washing of any toilet seat cover would not hurt.

For the next few weeks be extra vigilant about cleaning. Not once a
week, but daily for a while. See what happens.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math