CWLee

Default Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts?

Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
appreciated.

Many thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Leon Heller

"CWLee" wrote in message

Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
appreciated.

Probably Sir Joseph Whitworth - he standardised the threads used in screws
and bolts in 1841 and must have standardised the heads as well. There was a
TV program about him recently here in the UK.

Leon
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Davidlindq

"CWLee" wrote in message

Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
appreciated.

This isn't authoratative history, but I've seen photographs of Civil War era
seacoast mortars where it can be clearly seen that the carriage is assemled
with square head bolts and HEX head nuts.
David

David Lindquist

Rex B

On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:41:06 +0100, "Leon Heller"
wrote:

||"CWLee" wrote in message
|| Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
|| hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
|| machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
|| a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
|| anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
|| bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
|| appreciated.
||Probably Sir Joseph Whitworth - he standardised the threads used in screws
||and bolts in 1841 and must have standardised the heads as well. There was a
||TV program about him recently here in the UK.

And every kid who bought a ratty TR4 in the 1960's knows the name Whitwort,
although most thought his first name was "Goddam".
Texas Parts Guy
The Masked Marvel

Not to mention the "constant depression" carbs (as opposed to "constant
area", among other adjectives). and Lucas, the prince of darkness (and the
reason the brits drink warm beer: Lucas refrigerators), but I don't have an
answer to hex vs square heads.

wrote:

||"CWLee" wrote in message
|| Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
|| hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
|| machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
|| a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
|| anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
|| bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
|| appreciated.
||Probably Sir Joseph Whitworth - he standardised the threads used in

screws
||and bolts in 1841 and must have standardised the heads as well. There

was a
||TV program about him recently here in the UK.

And every kid who bought a ratty TR4 in the 1960's knows the name

Whitwort,
although most thought his first name was "Goddam".
Texas Parts Guy

PAROADHOG

Not to mention the "constant depression" carbs (as opposed to "constant
area", among other adjectives). and Lucas, the prince of darkness (and the
reason the brits drink warm beer: Lucas refrigerators)

Aw c'mon now guys , be honest. Lucas electrics weren't really all that bad
except when they were on poorly maintained machinery.
I've been a motorcycle mechanic for years and my personal experience is that
Lucas electric components have actually been a bit more reliable than
Nippondenso and other popular brands.
YMMV
jim rozen

In article , PAROADHOG says...

Aw c'mon now guys , be honest. Lucas electrics weren't really all that bad
except when they were on poorly maintained machinery.

Wrong. Even on impeccably maintained vehicles the stuff was
was simply poorly engineered. For example BSA, Triumph, and
Norton all sold motorbikes with the archaic zener diode
"regulator" technology, that was simply not up to the
US DOT requirements for full-time headlight on use. The
batteries would simply go dead because the charging
system was improperly designed.

The diode would sink 50 watts max, so the dynamo (that's
what the brits termed them) could only put out that much
at maxiumum.

The total load on the bike was 45 watts for the headlight,
5 watts tail light, plus an amp or two for the ignition
system. Add them all up and the buss voltage was typically
11 volts. Not enough to charge. God forbid you should
have turn signals or a brake light.

Never trust a bike with an ammeter in the headlight bucket.

Honda understood the frustration that faced riders, and
marketed their vehicles with absolutely bulletproof
charging systems. This was one way they were able to
eat the brit manufacturer's lunch.

Jim

please reply to:

Martin H. Eastburn

Davidlindq wrote:
"CWLee" wrote in message

Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
appreciated.

This isn't authoratative history, but I've seen photographs of Civil War era
seacoast mortars where it can be clearly seen that the carriage is assemled
with square head bolts and HEX head nuts.
David

David Lindquist

Wonder if the Hex head nuts were from Henry or Sharps - e.g.
Threaded rifle barrel that failed for other reasons.

Seems logical - need two wrenches anyway - might be the production issue.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life

Bob Powell

Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
appreciated.

Seem to recall reading somewhere ... sorry no references, my books are still
packed...

Hex stock had so many obvious advantages ... far more efficient use of
material to turn a bolt from bar stock ... less waste, far less machining
time ... ditto for simpler box wrenches, sockets etc. Less stress on
the box wrench corners, also more compact. Reckon it became the norm
pretty much as soon as the mills became capable of making it.

None of this applies to hot-forged or cold-formed bolt heads, and rolled
threads, that represent virtually all the common fasteners today. But there
was a long period where all machine screws and bolts were turned from hex
(or square) stock.

Bob

PAROADHOG

Honda understood the frustration that faced riders, and
marketed their vehicles with absolutely bulletproof
charging systems.

Hahahahaha Which Honda would that be , Jim? I've never come across
that particular model although I did send a few 10 year old Hondas out of here
because the parts were no longer available .
Doug

The American Sellers coarse thread is a copy? of (the same as) the
Whitworth coarse thread.
The thread angle is different - whit. 55degrees, Americian 60, but
all are
interchangable as all pitches line up accept half inch where one has
12TPI the other 13.

Before our country went metric this caused considerable confusion
amoung engineers not in the know and still does for our vintage
restorers.

Doug
New Zealand
John Manders

Yep, and I saw them in a catalog recently, probably KD Tools
And I think I've seen reference to some current use in some unlikely

assembly -
aerospace item?
Texas Parts Guy

Some car makers are using non-standard fasteners in Europe.
I did a cam belt change on a Rover recently. The engine mounting nuts were
M12. That should be 19mm AF. No metric or AF socket fitted. Finally found a
7/16 Whitworth one that went on perfectly. Rover aren't the only ones, Ford
fit non-standard bits as well.

John

John Manders

"PAROADHOG" wrote in message
Not to mention the "constant depression" carbs (as opposed to "constant
area", among other adjectives). and Lucas, the prince of darkness (and

the
reason the brits drink warm beer: Lucas refrigerators)

Aw c'mon now guys , be honest. Lucas electrics weren't really all that bad
except when they were on poorly maintained machinery.
I've been a motorcycle mechanic for years and my personal experience is

that
Lucas electric components have actually been a bit more reliable than
Nippondenso and other popular brands.
YMMV

OK, I admit our Lucas electrics were a bit of a joke in the 60's. The carbs
were good though, SU or Zenith. One jet and it was big enough that it didn't
get blocked. Change the air filter regularly so that the piston stays clean
and it works perfectly. Then out came the TR5 with fuel injection. Now that
was another story. I don't think they exported that to USA. You had the
TR250 with carburettors. A lot of UK cars have been converted to carbs for
reliability.

John

jerry Wass

Obviously the hex nut came about along with the development of the three
jaw-
self-centering chuck--(and turret lathe)--Compare this with the
difficulty of
centering a 4 sided bar-(and grasping it firmly)----They continued with
4 sided
nuts by making "hot pressed" square blanks , dropping them into a
fixture & drill & tap.

CWLee wrote:

Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
appreciated.

Many thanks.

--
----------
CWLee
"If elected, my highest priority upon taking office will be
to get the gazelles and the lions to negotiate a peaceful
solution to their long-standing differences." Tarzan,
Democratic candidate for King of the Jungle.

Rex B

On 1 Jun 2004 05:13:48 -0700, (Doug) wrote:

||Before our country went metric

Metric?? When did that happen??
Texas Parts Guy
Fdmorrison

"Bob Powell"

OP
Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of hex head nuts and
bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900.

Bob
Hex stock had so many obvious advantages ... far more efficient use of
material to turn a bolt from bar stock ... less waste, far less machining
time ... ditto for simpler box wrenches, sockets etc. Less stress on
the box wrench corners, also more compact. Reckon it became the norm
pretty much as soon as the mills became capable of making it.

None of this applies to hot-forged or cold-formed bolt heads, and rolled
threads, that represent virtually all the common fasteners today. But there
was a long period where all machine screws and bolts were turned from hex
(or square) stock.

As Bob points out, all you need to make a hex-headed bolt or a hex nut is hex
stock. Part of the problem here is in the question. Most simple mechanical
devices do not have an original attribution, to a person or even to one
industry.

I don't have any really good early cites, but hex-headed bolts and nuts were
common in some applications in Western technology by at least mid-nineteenth
century. The oldest tradition probably comes out of hot forging with a header
(nail and bolt headers are common). But machinery for making screws was also
well developed by the 1840s. (I'm not talking about "screw machines," but about
machinery for making screws, such as bolt cutting machines and nut tapping
machines. Screws with tapered points show up, for example, about that time.)
Index milling machines for milling the sides of nuts and bolt heads are also in
evidence from about then--at least by the 1860s, in the U. S.
At the same time, much classic machinery, such as the common engine lathe,
retained the use of square-headed bolts/screws, more as part of the style than
not, I think, throughout most of the 1800s. Machine builders were conservative,
and would want to fulfill the buyer's expectations as to what the product
should look like, work like.

Frank Morrison

Bob Robinson

PAROADHOG wrote:
Not to mention the "constant depression" carbs (as opposed to "constant
area", among other adjectives). and Lucas, the prince of darkness (and the
reason the brits drink warm beer: Lucas refrigerators)

Aw c'mon now guys , be honest. Lucas electrics weren't really all that bad
except when they were on poorly maintained machinery.
I've been a motorcycle mechanic for years and my personal experience is that
Lucas electric components have actually been a bit more reliable than
Nippondenso and other popular brands.
YMMV

I was a mechanic at the local Triumph motorcycle dealer in the mid to
late 60's and at least 80% of all repairs were electrical. We actually
offered a complete (except for the alternator, points and handlebar
switches) replacement of all electrical components, including wire and
connectors (which were also ****e), for $200 US (a tidy sum considering
a '67 Bonneville sold for $1472). About 20% of our customers had the
replacement done before taking delivery of the bike, about a third of
the rest were back for the modification with 6 months. Maybe Lucas got
better later, but it was absolute crap back then.

jim rozen

In article , PAROADHOG says...

Honda understood the frustration that faced riders, and
marketed their vehicles with absolutely bulletproof
charging systems.

...Which Honda would that be , Jim?

Not which, but *who*. The man's name was Soichiro
and he had a vision for how to gain entry into the
world's mtoorcycle market. He effectively unseated
norton, bsa, triumph, indian, harley davidson.

He did this by understanding what the common pitfalls
were in the motorcycles of the day. And engineered
his vehicles to absolutely avoid them.

I am certain that there is more than one honda engineer
who lost his job over a drip of oil on a showroom floor,
or an electrical switch that failed during a test run.

Jim

please reply to:

Bruce L. Bergman

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:32:33 +0100, "John Manders"
wrote:

Yep, and I saw them in a catalog recently, probably KD Tools
And I think I've seen reference to some current use in some unlikely

assembly -
aerospace item?
Texas Parts Guy

Some car makers are using non-standard fasteners in Europe.
I did a cam belt change on a Rover recently. The engine mounting nuts were
M12. That should be 19mm AF. No metric or AF socket fitted. Finally found a
7/16 Whitworth one that went on perfectly. Rover aren't the only ones, Ford
fit non-standard bits as well.

If I was running an assembly line, and used two almost identical
bolts - except for different strength ratings, thread pitches, or
other reasons the two bolts should NOT be mixed up, making the bolt
heads different (and making sure the stations had the right heads in
the drivers) would be a simple way to avoid serious screw-ups.

Bolt A only fits Wrench A, and Bolt B only fits Wrench B. You'd
really have to be brain dead to screw that one up and not notice...

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Ted Edwards

jim rozen wrote:

He did this by understanding what the common pitfalls
were in the motorcycles of the day. And engineered
his vehicles to absolutely avoid them.

I am certain that there is more than one honda engineer
who lost his job over a drip of oil on a showroom floor,
or an electrical switch that failed during a test run.

As one who has owned, ridden and maintained both English and Japanese
bikes, I heartily agree.

English bike: Every 100 miles (or less) stop and re-attach the parts
that have fallen off. Also, refill oil at every gas stop. Oh, and
really try to avoid riding after dark - Lucas was the Prince of
Darkness.

Japanese bike: (my experience is with Yamaha and Honda enduros) Ride,
enjoy, stop for gas when needed. Occasionally (few times a season) go
over bike and make sure nothing is starting to come loose. Can't recall
anything ever falling off of my 500 single "stump puller". Change oil
every 1000 miles - don't recall ever adding any between changes.

Ted

Stan Schaefer

"CWLee" wrote in message ...
Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
appreciated.

Many thanks.

Interesting question. Since I was headed to the library last night, I
thought I'd see what I could turn up. From a fastener book from about
1950, I found out that cold-heading machines were around in the 1840s,
hex nuts were being punched out of flat stock in the 1880s,
screw-making machines(not automated) were around in the mid-1800's and
they were rolling threads in the 1880s. No sign of a date for hex
head introduction, it was probably wider spread after the Bessemer
process made cheap(and uniform) mild steel available. Hand-forged
wrought iron nuts and bolts were probably easier to make with square
heads. I saw no signs of hex head bolts being milled, they weren't
made that way in quantity as far as I can see. Upsetting and forging
in a die are lots faster and cost lots less. One short article did
mention that larger hex nut stock was planed from square stock before
machining instead of starting from drawn or rolled hex stock, for
those nuts that weren't punched from flat stock.

Stan
PAROADHOG

Honda understood the frustration that faced riders, and
marketed their vehicles with absolutely bulletproof
charging systems.

...Which Honda would that be , Jim?

Not which, but *who*. The man's name was Soichiro
and he had a vision for how to gain entry into the
world's mtoorcycle market. He effectively unseated
norton, bsa, triumph, indian, harley davidson.

He did this by understanding what the common pitfalls
were in the motorcycles of the day. And engineered
his vehicles to absolutely avoid them.

I am certain that there is more than one honda engineer
who lost his job over a drip of oil on a showroom floor,
or an electrical switch that failed during a test run.

Jim

No Jim , not who but *which* Hon-duh has the bulletproof charging system ?
jim rozen

In article , PAROADHOG says...

No Jim , not who but *which* Hon-duh has the bulletproof charging system ?

All the ones I ever owned. We'll start with honda's entry
into the US market, the honda dream. That would be a '64
CA95E to be precise.

That bike had a bulletproof charging system because they
engineered two windings on the alternator - one that
was run when the lights were "off" and then another,
larger one that was switched in parallel with the first
one when lights were turned on.

This one, single concept allowed them to entirely sidestep
the moronic british zener diode fiasco. The regulator then
only had to cope with the output variations from idle
to full revs, and thus did not have to deal with the
range of loads that could be switched on.

Anyone who sees the schematics of both types side by
side can see that honda's was a direct response to the
troubles that brit bike riders had to endure. Simple,
trouble-free.

I rode that bike back and forth to work for two years,
'81 and '82. Remember at that time this was an
EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD vehicle, that was running the STOCK
charging system, and never had had any electrical work
done on it AT ALL. Bone stock. And the charging and
ignition systems on it all performed perfectly.

And that my friend is as close as you can get to the
holy grail.

As others have mentione in this thread, it was common
practice to replace all the wiring in some brit bikes,
right out of the box. That doesn't even qualify as a dixie
cup in the grail business.

Jim

please reply to:

PAROADHOG

No Jim , not who but *which* Hon-duh has the bulletproof charging system ?

All the ones I ever owned. We'll start with honda's entry
into the US market, the honda dream. That would be a '64
CA95E to be precise

Yep , I remember the Dream and since you replied in such a civil manner let me
take the time to explain why I dislike Japanese bikes as much as I do.
Years ago I had the occasion to visit a motorcycle salvage yard in search of
some Japbike parts that were no longer available from the dealer , a common
problem.
The bikes there were divided into sections by make . There were hundreds and
hundreds of bikes of all sizesand in all stages of disassembly . Some had been
smashed but most had not.
What struck me the most was that they were all Japanese . Honda,
Kawasaki,Suzuki, and Yamaha. There weren't any Triumphs, or any Nortons, or any
Ducatis, or ant Harleys, etc etc etc . I asked the owner why so many Jap bikes
ended up in salvage yards and he replied " because their owners felt they were
no longer worth fi
PAROADHOG

[...]

Oops, flubbed that post. I'll finish:

......fixing.
Last time I visited a bike salvage yard the same thing was true, lots and lots
of motorcycles that were considered disposable by their owners but no *
keepers * .
There will always be a demand for good machines such as those produced In
England, and in Germany, and in the USA simply because they're worth repairing
and keeping , while much of the glitzy plastic stuff from the land of the
rising sun will be tossed away in the same manner as the dixie cups you
mentioned in your last post.
jim rozen

In article , PAROADHOG says...

[...]

I never said they weren't good. I just said that british electrics
simply sucked and I do stand by that statement. Also the one where
I said that honda used the manifold deficiencies present in brit
and american bikes at the time, as a 'hook' to gain entry into the
US markets.

"You meet the nicest people on a honda" is not about personalities.
It means you can ride a motorcycle and not be an electrical engineer.

The german electrics are a whole 'nother thing. The BMWs that
were contemporary with the british zener diode thing had honest
to god electrical systems, with tiny 60 watt, 6 volt excited field
generators, and tiny jewel-like bosch electromechanical voltage
regulators. Once again, those items were well engineered and
outlasted their expected lifetime for me, many times. Indeed they
were *over*engineered because I think the teutonic watt must have
been about 1.3 US watts, or about 2.5 british watts. I regularly
ran 60 watt H4 headlamps in my bikes which would leave nothing
left over for charging, taillight, etc. but the battery never
wanted for a charge.

The reason you find salvage yards full of jap bikes is simple,
they just made and imported so damn many of them. Also of note
was Honda Sr's edict, which was in force until he died, that
customers *would* be able to purchase literally ANY part for
ANY motorcycle, that his company ever made. From the factory.

That was his rule.

Jim

please reply to:

william_b_noble

for what it's worth, chrysler products used LH and RH bolts to hold the
wheels on for many years (certainly from mid thirties through sometime in
the 50s) - note: "bolts" not "studs". it really confuses some tire stores
when they can't understand why the impact wrench doesn't do anything to the
"nuts"

snip

By the way, those wheel nuts have left- and right- handed threads
depending on what side of the carriage they are for, so that they
won't unscrew themselves during forward driving. This in addition to
locking pins and, in some cases, opposite-threaded, smaller diameter
castellated locking nuts. Apparently, wheels coming off at speed was a
Serious Incident, and some rather ingenious engineering was employed
even on cheap, otherwise low-quality wagons. I've never seen such
opposite-threaded nuts on modern carriage axles.

Erik

In article m,
"william_b_noble" wrote:

for what it's worth, chrysler products used LH and RH bolts to hold the
wheels on for many years (certainly from mid thirties through sometime in
the 50s) - note: "bolts" not "studs". it really confuses some tire stores
when they can't understand why the impact wrench doesn't do anything to the
"nuts"

For what it's worth, I think Chrysler did this well into the 60's at
least, and with lug nuts and studs as well.

They worked, but caused a LOT of trouble with owners and shops (of all
description) the whole time they did it.

Sometimes people wouldn't have the right parts on hand, and would Mouse
LH studs on the RH side and vice versa just to get it out the door,
often even mixing them on the same wheel.

Erik
Gary Coffman

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 07:04:00 GMT, Erik wrote:
For what it's worth, I think Chrysler did this well into the 60's at
least, and with lug nuts and studs as well.

Up through at least 1967. I had a 1967 Dodge van with LH and RH
lugnuts. OTOH, my 1970 Dodge had all RH lugnuts. So the change
happened sometime between those two models.

Gary
PAROADHOG

Without comment on the motorcycles, you might be aware that "Jap" is a
lot like "******".

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

Sorry, no malice intended . I used it only as an abbreviation .
DoN. Nichols

In article m,
william_b_noble wrote:
for what it's worth, chrysler products used LH and RH bolts to hold the
wheels on for many years (certainly from mid thirties through sometime in
the 50s) - note: "bolts" not "studs". it really confuses some tire stores
when they can't understand why the impact wrench doesn't do anything to the
"nuts"

The British MGA series, at least 1957 through 1961 (the two
which I owned), used left-hand nuts on one side. I'm now trying to
remember which side got the LH nuts and studs.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

JMartin957

Without comment on the motorcycles, you might be aware that "Jap" is a
lot like "******".

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

Sorry, no malice intended . I used it only as an abbreviation .

Yeah, and stay away from Brit, Scot, Swede and Finn, too.

John Martin

Gunner

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 05:59:51 GMT, Ted Bennett
wrote:

(PAROADHOG) wrote:

[...]

0-9
51st Stater - Canadians, according to some from the United States (can
be also used by Australians to describe themselves as part of social
commmentary, from the saying that Australia is the 51st state of the
United States)
927 - U.S. blacks, comes from the suburban Los Angeles Police Department
code for "Suspicious Person"

A.I. - short for "American Ignorance" used for US citizens.
Abba-Dabba - from the film Betrayed, referring to Arabs and the United
Arab Emirates city of Abu Dhabi
ABA - Another Bloody Austrialian. Used in Canadian ski hills, primarily
Whistler/Blackcomb.
ABC - American-Born Chinese, Australian-born Chinese (but not a
derogatory term in Australia, mainly used by Chinese themselves)
ABCD - "American-Born Confused Desi" used for American-born Indians who
are confused about their culture
Abo - Australia, Australian aboriginal. This used to be the standard
common term for Aboriginals, and was used by many Aboriginal people
themselves. It was not considered offensive until the 1960s.
Adolf - Germans, referring to Adolf Hitler
African queen - U.K., a black gay male. Also the title of a film.
Afro-Saxon - Young white men who act black.
Ahab - whites, from Moby Dick
Ainu - Japanese people, originally referring to a valid minority (the
Ainu) of Japan, now sometimes used as a derogatory term for any Asian,
emphasizing barbarism
Albino - whites (see albino)
Albo- Albanians
Ame-koh - Americans, used in Japan
Ameri**** - Canada, can be used in reference to American women and men
AmeriKKKan - Canada, a reference to perceived racism in American society
Amoronican - Canada, used in reference to perceived low intelligence of
Americans
Amo - the Amish
A-Neh - Singaporean and Malaysian Hokkiens, an Indian person
Angie - Anglophones in Canada, used in Quebec
Anglo - US, a white person or used in Quebec to denote an anglophone
Ang Mor (Kwee) - Hokkien speakers, Red Hair (Devil), a white person
Ape Candy - Whites who date blacks.
apple - U.S., a black person (apples hang from trees) cf. windchime,
Canada, an Indian who 'acts' like a white (red on the outside, white on
the inside).
Apu - U.S., popularized by the character of the same name from The
Simpsons, referring to Indians
A-rab - U.S., someone of Middle-eastern descent (pronounced as the
letter "A" followed by "rab" as in rabbit.)
Armo - Armenians
Arm Pit - Armenian person
Aunt Jemima, U.S. Blacks, a black woman who "kisses up" to whites, a
"sellout", cf. Uncle Tom
Ay-rab - U.S., variant spelling of A-rab.

Babuska - Eastern Europeans, deriving from the head covering worn by
Ukrainian women
Bagel dog - Jews, referring to traditional food product: bagels
Bahadur - Nepali servants
Bamboo coon - Chinese people
banana - Canada, U.S., an Asian who is "yellow on the outside, white on
the inside"
Bangla - Malaysia and Singapore, a Bangladeshi
barbarian - Ancient Greece, any non-Greek (derived from the Greek
perception of any non-Greek-speaker babbling ("ba-ba-ba"); China, a
person of a Mongolian tribe
BBCD - British Born Confused Desi.
beaner / bean-eater - Western U.S., someone of Mexican descent
beaner - U.S., Chicanos or Latinos in general
Beastie Boy - Jews who act black, comes from The Beastie Boys
Bigger Thomas - U.S. Blacks, slang for a bad ******
Bhai - Malaysia and Singapore, a Sikh person. Originates from the
innocuous Punjabi word meaning brother but in this sense it is
offensive.
black pillar box - U.K., a Muslim woman who wears a burka
black velvet - Australia, an Aboriginal prostitute
blackhead - U.K., an Arab
boat ******s - U.S., Cuban people, or anyone from the Caribbean seeking
asylum in the U.S.
boat people, boaties - Australia, sea-borne illegal immigrants of any
nationality. In the 1970s usually Vietnamese, today mainly Afghans and
Iraqis.
bog trotter - UK, Irish people
'''b g''' - Swedes, used by Finns. Actually Swedish for a homosexual
male.
bohunk - U.S., 1890s, a person from east-central Europe, especially a
laborer (compound of Bo(hemian) + Hung(arian)).
bok gwai - Cantonese, a white person. Literally means "white ghost"
bolillo - Mexico, white people (bolillo is a white bread roll).
boofer - Hawaii, Polynesian word equivalent to ******
Booger - a Bulgarian
boong - Australia, Australian aboriginal. Highly offensive.
Boris - U.S., a Russian immigrant
Bosno - a Bosniak, or a person from Bosnia
bounty bar - U.S., a black person who acts like a white person
boy - Southern U.S. whites and South African whites, a black man
brown sugar - U.S./U.K., a black woman
bule - Indonesian term for a white person, roughly translates as
'pigskin'.
Bull grease - A person from Bulgaria, used primarily for disrespecting a
Bulgarian, but not as a regular term.ie."Get your Bull grease ass out of
here". Not used as plural. Also used is the term, Bull Greaser. (Derives
from the word Bulgr or Bulgar, which is short for Bulgarian.)
bulgy - a Bulgarian person
bushie - South Africa, a Coloured

cafflick - Scotland, a Catholic
camel jockey - U.S., someone of Middle-eastern descent
Canuck - U.S., a Canadian national
caphead - Australia, a Jewish man
cardboard ****** - US Blacks, a black person "selling out" to the whites
or not acting "black"
Carlton - U.S., refers to Carlton Banks: a black character from the
sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" who "acted white".
Casper the Unfriendly Ghost - U.S. Asians, A naughty white person.
cave bitch - U.S., from an Ice Cube song about white women
Celestial - Australia, 19th century, Chinese
Cereal - a person from Syria (uses an "a" for singular form, and an "s"
for plural) Also, brands of cereal are used.
chalala - France, young trendy jewish person.
charlie - U.S., a Vietnamese person (shortened from radio code for the
Vietcong (V.C.): "Victor Charlie")
Cheese-eating surrender monkeys - U.S./international, French (from
perceived French cowardice in military situations)
Chigger - Chinese person that acts Black
Chinaman - International, person of Chinese or generally of Asian
descent
Chinese - International, persons of Asian descent
ching chong - Australia, someone of Chinese descent
Chink - U.S./U.K., someone of Chinese descent
Chino - US Hispanic, someone of Chinese descent
chocolate drop - U.K., a black person
chogee - Australia, someone of Asian descent
chongo/chango - (also "mono") U.S. Hispanics, a black person
("chongo/chango" is Spanish for "monkey")
Chow - Australia, 19th century, Chinese
chowie - U.K./Australia, someone of Asian descent
Christ-****er - a Christian person, usually referring to Catholic,
Lutheran, Calvinist, or Presbyterian.
Christ-killer - used in some Christian cultures, a Jewish person
Choong - Australia, Vietnamese or Cambodian immigrants
clog - used in some cultures, a Dutch person (from their supposed
wearing of clogs)
Cochise - U.S., a Native American
coco - U.K., a black person
coconut - U.S./U.K./Australia, a black or Hispanic person who acts like
a white (a coconut is dark on the outside but white on the inside); New
Zealand, a Pacific Islander
Conchy Joe - Bahamas, a white native whose ancestors were slave-owning
Loyalists; can be used jokingly and without negativity to refer to any
white Bahamian
coolie - South African whites, a South African of Indian descent
coon - U.S. and Australia, a black person
coonass - degrading term projected to Cajun people
cockroach - U.S., a Mexican immigrant
commie - US, a Russian. Sometimes used to refer to a Chinese individual.
cosmopolite - Soviet Union, a Jew
cotton picker - U.S., a black person
cracker - U.S., a white person
criminal - U.K. and N.Z., an Australian (see also convict)
cuff - U.S., a black person
curry muncher - Australia, an Indian person.

dago - (also "dag") U.S., someone of Italian descent (originally derived
from the Spanish name Diego, it was applied to Spanish, Portuguese or
Italian sailors)
darkie - various, someone with dark-colored skin
darkness - various, someone with dark-colored skin (from skit on David
Chapelle's comedy show featuring Rick James)
deicide - "godkiller", synonym of Christ-killer.
diaper head - United States, someone of Middle Eastern descent, or
another person that wears a turban
didicoy - UK, gipsy
dinge - US, a black person
dog muncher - U.S., someone of Korean descent
don - England, a Spaniard (from the Spanish title). Common use in
Ekizabethan times.
Donny Brasco - an Italian person
Dot-head - U.S., someone of South Asian descent (from the Hindu practice
of wearing bindis)
double Dutch / Dutch courage - U.S./U.K., inferior attributes for Dutch
people
DWO - "Driving While Oriental" - U.S., referring to Asian drivers,
perceived to be poorer drivers than others
dune coon - US, someone of Middle Eastern descent
Dutchman - English-speaking South African whites, used for Afrikaners

egg - a white person who 'acts' like an Asian (white on the outside,
yellow on the inside)
eggplant - North-eastern U.S., a black person
Eskimo - an Inuit, Yupik, Inupiat or Aleut.
Elbow - an Albanian person (derives from the other slur, 'Albo')
esse - U.S., someone of Hispanic descent
Eurotrash - U.S./U.K., Europeans gatecrashing society by trading on
false claims of wealth, titles of nobility etc.
Euro-weenies - U.S., Europeans, particularly French, who don't support
US foreign policy.
Eyetie / Eye-talian - U.S., someone of Italian descent

Fabio - Italian person
farang - Thailand, non asian person.
FBI - Boston, for "Foreign Born Irish" who immigrate and immediately
take high-paying white collar jobs
feuj - France, a jew (Verlan of Juif).
fisheyes - U.S. Asians, a white person.
fjord ****** - Alaska, an Alaskan Native of the Tlingit tribe.
flattie U.K. traveller community, someone of fixed abode
flip - U.S., someone of Filipino descent
Flea - a person person of Yugoslavian descent. (derives from the fact
that the majority of the Yugoslav names end in "ich" or "itch", when a
flea bites, you itch.
fob - U.S., a recent Asian immigrant (from Fresh Off the Boat)
forby - Australia, a Jew. Rhyming slang, forby is short for four-by-two,
a piece of wood four inches by two, commonly used in building. Now
obsolete. Jews are so integrated in Australia that there is no current
term of abuse.
FOS - US., non-english speaking immigrant. (from "Fresh Off the Ship")
franchute - Spain, a French national
franco - french person
Frenchy - U.S., a person with French roots.
Fritz - U.K. and France, a German
frog or froggie - U.S./U.K., a French national
****off - France, a British youth

gabacho - Spain, a French national.
'''gachup n''' - Central America, a Spaniard
gadjo/gadji - Gypsy, a non-Gypsy male/female
gaijin - Japan, any non-Japanese person
gavacho - Mexico, a white person. See gabacho.
geek - Greek person(singular only)
Gek, Gecko - a person with Greek roots
Germ Man - a german person(using the bacteria form of germ)
ghetto monkey - U.S., a black person
ghost - China (Qing Dynasty), a foreigner, esp. a Japanese person (white
people were "ghosts from the seas")
ghostbuster - an asian who beats up on whites.
gin - Australia - an Aboriginal woman
goat roper - U.S. southwest, white people (mostly hicks and/or suburban
cowboys)
Gobbler - A Turkish person (gobble = Turkey)
godo - Canary Islands, "Goth", a Peninsular Spaniard.
go-go - a person from the former Yugoslavia, comes from the "Go" in
Yugo.
gook - U.S. military slang since the Korean War, applied initially to
Koreans and later to Vietnamese during the Vietnam War. It derives from
Hanguk, the Korean name for Korea.
goomba - various groups, An Italian person
gorilla - a big, fat black person.
goy - Jews, a non-Jew or a Jew that does not practice Judaism. (Goy,
plural goyim, is the standard Hebrew word for a non-Jew and is not
intended to be offensive when used in that sense.)
greaser - U.S., someone of Latin American descent, esp. Mexican
greaseball - U.S., an Italian person
gringo - Latin America and Spain: Non-Hispanic U.S. national. Hence
Gringolandia, the United States. For Brazilians, any foreigner.
gubba - Australia - Aboriginal term for white people.
guido - US, someone of Italian descent (a genuine Italian first name)
guinea - U.S., someone of Italian descent
gwailo - also spelled "gweilo"; a Cantonese term for Caucasians. Similar
to the entry above for ghost.
Gyppo - UK and Australian military, Egyptians. Sometimes used
affectionately, but "bloody Gyppo" was a term of abuse.
Gypsy - a Sinti or Roma (not universally regarded as offensive)

habib - U.S., someone of South Asian (e.g., Indian or Pakistani) descent
hairyback - English speaking South Africans, an Afrikaner
hajji - an Iraqi, Arab, Muslim, or occasionally other nonwhite, used by
US occupation forces; one soldier notably wrote "Hodgie killer" on his
footlocker. See Hajj for non-offensive usage.
Hankee Yankee - U.S. Asians, a white southerner.
haole - native Hawaiians, a non-native white person
Happy Slave- US/UK, an Irish immigrant
heeb - U.S., a Jewish person (Short for Hebrew)
Hervat - a croatian person
hick - U.S., rural person, generally uneducated, similar to yokel
hillbilly - U.S., a rural white person, esp. one from Appalachia, can be
used jokingly unlike some terms
Hindoo - Australia, 19th century, Indian
Hindy - An person with Indian descent, or a person who practices Hindu.
hok gwai - Cantonese, a black person. Literally means "dark ghost".
holy roller - U.S., evangelical Christians
honger - North America, a person from Hong Kong
honky - U.S. blacks, a white person
hori - New Zealand, a Maori
hoser - A Canadian
Hymie - also spelled "heimy", U.S. blacks, a Jewish person, especially
from New York City ("Hymietown")
hun - Allies in WWI, a German soldier; also Irish nationalists, a
British nationalist. See Huns for non-offensive usage.
Hungo - a person of Hungarian roots
hunkie - U.S., someone of Hungarian descent

Ian - an Armenian person, since almost every Armenian has a "ian" at the
end of their name.
ice mutant - black supremacists, a white person
Injun - a Native American, from "Indian"
Itch - a person from the former Yugoslavia. Because almost everyone from
there have "ich" at the end of their name, changed to "itch" to mean a
nuisance, see the other slur "Flea".

Jap - U.S./U.K., someone of Japanese descent
JAP - U.S., Jewish women (Jewish American Princess)/Aust. spoilt jewish
adolescants (Jewish American Prince or Princess)
Jawa - U.S., sand people, someone of Middle Eastern descent. See also
sand monkey
Jerry - UK, a German national
jigaboo, jig - U.S., a black person
Jock - UK, Scottish person
John Chinaman - Australia, 19th century, Chinese
jook-sing - a Westernized Asian
jungle bunny - U.S. whites, a black person

kaffir - South African whites, a black person
kaffir - Arabic word used in the Islamic world, a non-believer, atheist,
or pagan. Jews and Christians would not be considered a kaffir. The word
does not count as a slur, it has the same negative connotations as a
non-believer
Keling - Malaysia and Singapore, an Indian person. Very offensive.
kike - U.S., a Jewish person
Kraut - U.S./U.K., a German national
kugel - South African whites, an affluent Jewish woman

Lanscaper - person from Ukraine or Poland(both of which sound like a
structure of land, or something that builds land, ie.uCRANE, POLEand.)
Lebo - Australia, Lebanese (but widely used by Lebanese-Australians
themselves)
limey - U.S., a British national - British sailors ate limes to prevent
scurvy
lepraucaun - Irish person (usually one with red hair, pale skin, and
freckles.)
levee rat - degrading term projected to Cajun People and people of the
swamp
long nose - China, a person of European descent

macaque - Belgium (French) - a Moroccan; derived from macaque
mall honky - an indiscriminate white consumer.
makak - Belgium (Dutch) - a Moroccan; derived from macaque*maketo -
Basque Country, a Spaniard
Maco, Maconie - a Macedonian person (can also be spelled 'Mako')
mario - U.S., Italian person. (also "Luigi" is used)
Mat Salleh - Malaysia and Singapore - a white person; derived from mad
sailor.
Mau-mau - U.S./U.K., a black activist
mayate - U.S. hispanics, Spanish equivalent of ******
Mehmet - (Turkish Cypriot) - a mainland Turk
Mexicans - Australia. In Sydney, a term used for people arriving from
Victoria, which is south of the Murray River (analogous to the Rio
Grande). A humorous term not intended to be offensive, but sometimes
taken that way.
Mexican't - U.S., an unemployed or low-paid Mexican immigrant, commonly
illegal workers
Midnight - a black person (used only in singular form)
mick - U.S., a person of Irish descent (from the common surname form
McXxxx)
monkey - U.S., a black person
mongrel - a multiracial person
moon cricket - U.S., a black person
moro, moraco - Spain, a Moor, but see Moro.
mountain ****** - a person from Montenegro.
Mrs Simpson Egypt, 1930s and 40s, an English woman (after the Duchess of
Windsor). Intended to be highly insulting when shouted at English women
in the street.
mud person - U.S. white supremacists, a non-white person (usually seen
in the plural form as mud people)
muley, mulie, moolie - U. S. Italian, a black person
munt - South Africa, a black person
mutt - a multiracial person

Naga - U.S., a black person (Naga stands for North American Ground Ape,
used by the LAPD during the Watts riot in LA)
Nazi - North America, Europe, etc, a German person
Newfie - Canada, a person from Newfoundland, can be used as a term of
pride
NFN - U.K., Normal for Norfolk, implying learning difficulties due to
inbreeding in isolated fen communities.
****** - U.S./U.K., a black person (also "niggra," southern U.S.
pronunciation; "nigga," Ebonics)
night fighter - U.S., a black person
nig-nog - U.K., a black person (adapted from niknok, see below)
niknok - Netherlands, Dutch word equivalent to ******
Ninja - U.S., a Muslim woman
ninny - U.S., a black person (short for pickaninnie)
Nip - U.S., someone of Japanese descent (from Nippon, an Anglicization
of the Japanese name for Japan)
Nordstrom Rack - White women with fake breasts.

octoon - 19th century U.S., a person of 1/8 Black ancestry
oreo - U.S., someone of black and white descent (or a black person who
"acts white" - see Carlton)
Outsider - Alaska, a person from the lower 48.
oven dodger - Australia, a Jewish person

Paddy - U.S., an Irish person (from the popular Irish diminutive of
"Patrick")
Papist - Protestants, a Roman Catholic person
Pakeha - Maori, a New Zealander of European descent (not necessarily
widely-regarded as offensive)
Paki - U.K., a Pakistani (or other South Asian)
payo - Spain, a non-Gypsy
peckerwood - U.S., a white person
Pepsi - Anglophone Canadian, a French-Canadian (from popularity of
Pepsi-Cola in Quebec, where this soft drink outsells Coca-Cola —
possibly the only place in the world where this is true)
pickaninnie, pickaninny - U.K./U.S., black child
pinko - Japan, a Russian person
Polack - U.S., a person of Polish descent
Polar Bear - a big, fat, white person
Pole Humper - a Polish person
pom, pommie, pommy - Australia/New Zealand/South Africa, a British
national. Originally short for pomegranate. It is often used
affectionately and is not usually considered offensive. Many English
migrants to Australia call themselves "ten pound poms," because they
paid ten pounds for their passage to Australia in the 1950s.
pongo - U.K., a black person
porch honky - U.S., lazy white person
porch monkey - U.S., a black person
potato - Canada, a black person who 'acts' like a white (brown on the
outside, white on the inside).
P.R. - U.S., Puerto Rican
prairie ****** - U.S. and Canada as of late: a Native American or
Canadian. Held to be in very poor taste if used around these people.
prod - Scotland, a Protestant
Proddy, Proddy dog - Australian Catholics (particularly school kids),
term for Protestants, particularly rival kids from Protestant schools.
Now obsolete since most kids are atheists.

quadroon - 19th century U.S., a person of 1/4 Black ancestry. Now
obsolete.
Quaker - a white person

rabbit - U.S., a black person, said to have rabbit blood.
raghead - U.S., someone of Middle Eastern descent. U.K., a Sikh, or any
East Indian.
raton - France, a North African Muslim (from the French diminutive for
"rat")
Red Fella - Russian person
redneck - U.S., an rural, unrefined white person (esp. a person from a
southern state)
redskin - now obsolete, a Native American
ricain - France, an American
rice king/queen - A white person who dates Asians.
Rice picker - a filipino, viet, cambodian, or any other south-east
asian.
roast beef or rosbif - France, a British person
rock ape - U.K./Australia, a black person
rock spider - English-speaking South Africans, an Afrikaner (although in
Australia, rock spider means child molester)
rooinek - Afrikaners, an English speaking South African
rootless cosmopolitan (Russian: bezrodnyj kosmopolit) - Soviet Union
(late Stalin era, 1948-1953), a Jew
round eye - Asia, a white person
round hair - U.S., a black person
rug pilot - U.S., a person of Middle Eastern descent (from the image of
the flying carpet)
Russki - U.S., a Russian national

sambo - U.S./U.K., a black person
sand monkey - U.S., someone of Middle Eastern descent
sand Nazi - U.S./Israel, someone of Middle Eastern descent
sand ****** - U.S./Israel, someone of Middle Eastern descent
sars - U.S., person of Asian descent (presumably from the Asian origin
of the illness SARS).
'''Schwoogie (sp?)- US, a black person
Seppo - Australia/U.K., an American (from septic tank, rhyming slang for
yank, also to imples Americans are full of ****)
Serabian - a Serbian
Serburbian - a person of Serbian descent
Sernitz - Serbia, a black person
sheister [shyster] - U.S., a Jew [German origin]
sheep****er, sheepscrewer, sheepshagger and other variations on this
theme - England, a Welshman; Australia, a New Zealander; USA, a Scot;
etc.)
Shiptar - an Albanian person, also "****-tar" is used.
****-kicker - U.S., a white person from the southwest (ex: Oklahoma)
Skunk - U.S., someone of Middle-eastern descent
Skinny - U.S., First (?) used in Starship Troopers for an alien race.
Used by U.S. and other western militaries for Africans, especially
Somalis.
Skip - Australian - a white Australian of British descent - from the TV
show Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. Among ethnic youth, "skip" is the
opposite of "wog."
slant-eye - U.S., a person of Asian descent
slapface - Australia, a person of Asian descent
slob - Russian, ie. person of Slavic heritage
slope - a person of Asian descent
snowback - U.S., a Canadian refugee who flees his/her Motherland for the
warm climate of Florida.
snowman - white person
Sons of Heaven - Australia, 19th century, Chinese
Soviet - a person from Russia.
Space Ghost - U.S. Asians, A white person perceived to have limited
mental capacity. From a superhero character.
spade - U.S., a black person
spic or spick - U.S., a person of Hispanic descent
spook - U.S. whites, a black person
spear-chucker - U.S. whites, a black person
squarehead - A German or a Norwegian
Stani - a person from central asia with the country's name ending in
"Stan"(Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Afghanistan,
ect.)
sudaca - Spain, a Latin American, a play on sudamericano and sudar (to
sweat)
Suicide Bomber - a Muslim Person
surrender monkey - U.S., a French person
swamp honky - U.S. southwest, similar to white trash - white residents
around the Louisiana/Texas border (also "swamp trash")
swamp ****** - degrading term projected to Cajun people and people of
the swamp.

taffy - U.K., a Welsh person. From the Taff River. Children's rhyme:
"Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief."
Taig - Northern Ireland Protestants, a Catholic
Terrorist - a person from the middle-east, sometimes is used for a
person from south eastern europe.
terrier - U.S., an Irish laborer
Thanksgiving - U.S., a person of Turkish descent. Used soley as an
adjective. ie. "Thanksgiving Muther-****er".
Tommy - German, Used for the British in WW2
Tonto - U.S., a Native American (refers to the sidekick on "The Lone
Ranger")
towelhead - U.S., someone of Middle Eastern descent
trailer trash - U.S., a rural white person living in a trailer park; cf.
white trash
T.W.E. - Eastern European (from Third-World-European) For short,
'Tweety' is used.
twinkie - U.S./Canada, an Asian person who is "yellow on the outside,
white on the inside" (similar to 'banana' above)

Uncle Tom - U.S. blacks, term for someone who panders to white people; a
"sellout" (taken from Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin")

Viet - a Vietnamese person
Vodka ****er - Russian person
Vut - a Russian, because the russian immigrants said "vut" instead of
"what" when asked something in english.

Walpeople - U.S., working-class whites...from whites perceived to shop
at Walmart.
welfare monkey - U.S., a black person
wetback, wetter - U.S., an illegal Mexican immigrant (presumably having
swum across the Rio Grande)
White Devil - U.S., (originated with Nation of Islam) a white person
white boy - U.S., any white
white Negro - US/UK, an Irish immigrant
whitey - U.S., a white person
white trash, also poor white trash - U.S., a rural white person
wigger - U.S./U.K. a white person who 'acts' black
Wiglet - U.S., a teenage or younger white person who acts black
windchime - U.S., a black person (windchimes are hung out in the open)
cf. apple
Whink - Canada, a White person trying to act Chinese.
wog - U.K., a dark-skinned national of a Colonial British colony; also
Australia, a Mediterranean-European (especially Greek or Italian) person
(or any foreigner). It may have originated in Empire days in sub-Asia as
a mandated term of respect, Worthy Oriental Gentleman, then abbreviated.
In Australia the term, once very offensive, has been appropriated by
second-generation ethnic youth and is used humorously or with pride, as
in "wog culture" and the successful comedy show Wogs Out of Work.
wop - U.S., an Italian immigrant (from guappo
[http://www.etymonline.com/w3etym.htm], although folk etymology gives
the origin as: WithOut Passport)
wrap head - a person who wears a turban.

XYZ
Yank/Yankee - Originally used by the New York Dutch to refer to the
English (Jan Kees means "John Cheese" in Dutch), it has gradually
broadened in meaning. In the northern US, it means a traditional New
Englander of old English stock. In the southern US, it means any
northerner. Outside the US, it means any American, as in "Yankee go
home". Spelled Yanqui in Spanish.
Yankee Doodle, Americans
yard ape - U.S., a black person; cf. porch monkey
yellow peril - Australia/New Zealand, an Asian immigrant
yid - U.K., A Jewish person
yo-yo - U.S., a black person (yo-yos hang from strings) cf. windchime
Yugo - a Yugoslavian person (from the car "Yugo" which was cheap and
broke down easily)
Yugo**** - A person from the former Yugoslavia, using the word "yugo"
and saying literally "You go ****".
zig - U.S., a black person (short for zigaboo)
zip - an Italian
zipperhead - U.S., a Chinese person
Zebra - a partly white, partly black person
Zerbo - Serbian person

A further list for your edification
http://www.rsdb.org/

**** Political Correctness.

Grabbed your chest yet? Shall we dial 9-11? Or shall we all prepare
for a resounding PLONK?

Sigh...some peoples kids aint got nothin better to do....

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden."
Strider
Gunner

wrote:

(PAROADHOG) wrote:

[...]

I thought Japs were sortta kinda yellowish with straight black hair? Im
pretty sure "******s" are a different color with different hair. Least
one of my lady friends is....shrug..must be different where you live.

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden."
Strider
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

bog trotter - UK, Irish people

No Irish Need Apply...

bohunk - U.S., 1890s, a person from east-central Europe, especially a
laborer (compound of Bo(hemian) + Hung(arian)).

Hey. I resemble that remark!

gaijin - Japan, any non-Japanese person

Literally, "big nose" IIRC.

A further list for your edification
http://www.rsdb.org/

Amazing list.

Jim

please reply to:

Gary Coffman

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 02:20:13 GMT, Gunner wrote:
[...]

Hey, Gunner, you forgot TWA (Third World Assassin) for the doctors
at the local "public" hospital.

Gary

Shower head PoP UK diy 9 December 22nd 03 10:42 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Sweeping in mill head Mike Graham Metalworking 23 August 26th 03 03:09 PM
Shower head bracket? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 August 4th 03 10:15 PM