Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Win7 and T-bird

so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much
since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo and had
problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7 because so much
just won't function in XP any more . There are a few thing I prefer XP
for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS , just trying to get as
much moved over as I can and email/newsgroups are a primary task for my
desktop . It's a pain in the ass to keep rebooting when I want to change
over .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
Â* so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much
since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo and had
problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7 because so much
just won't function in XP any more . There are a few thing I prefer XP
for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS , just trying to get as
much moved over as I can and email/newsgroups are a primary task for my
desktop . It's a pain in the ass to keep rebooting when I want to change
over .

Try these guys:

mozilla.support.thunderbird

But be careful, it is a "moderated" group. Watch
who/what you insult.

Also, this sounds like a hardware issue. Test
your hard drive health with:

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net....php/Downloads

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Jun 2020 18:37:21 -0500, Snag
wrote:

so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much
since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo and had
problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7 because so much
just won't function in XP any more . There are a few thing I prefer XP
for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS , just trying to get as
much moved over as I can and email/newsgroups are a primary task for my
desktop . It's a pain in the ass to keep rebooting when I want to change
over .

I would think y ou can leave the data where it was and just install
t-bird in 7 pointing to that data.

I did tha twith Eudora during 2 tnansistions, and I could use it while
in either OS and still have all the email data avaiable all the time.

I'm sure t-bird will work with 7, it works with 10, but I have no
experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2020 6:37 PM, Snag wrote:
Â* so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much
since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo and had
problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7 because so much
just won't function in XP any more . There are a few thing I prefer XP
for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS , just trying to get as
much moved over as I can and email/newsgroups are a primary task for my
desktop . It's a pain in the ass to keep rebooting when I want to change
over .

From the narrative I can't tell which isn't working -- trying 68.9.0 on
XP (not supported, so not terribly surprising it doesn' work if that's
the case) or Win7.

I didn't keep the XP partition but have had on issues on Win7.

I presume but I haven't looked that one can revert to earlier releases
if do need to get back to an XP running case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
Â*Â* so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much
since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo and had
problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7 because so much
just won't function in XP any more . There are a few thing I prefer XP
for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS , just trying to get as
much moved over as I can and email/newsgroups are a primary task for
my desktop . It's a pain in the ass to keep rebooting when I want to
change over .

Try these guys:

mozilla.support.thunderbird

But be careful, it is a "moderated" group.Â* Watch
who/what you insult.

Also, this sounds like a hardware issue.Â* Test
your hard drive health with:

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net....php/Downloads

The Win7 install is in a nearly-new 500 Gb hdd - I had some music
stored on it before I re-purposed it . The motherboard is also new , the
old one still functioned but was not Win7 compatible . Everything works
just swell in XP , though the T-bird version here is 52.something and
it's a little slow sometimes . I'm wondering if I need to step back to
an earlier version ... or if I need to dump T-bird and go with another
email/newsgroup client . Anybody using Outlook ?
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 17:46, Snag wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

Â* The Win7 install is in a nearly-new 500 Gb hdd - I had some music
stored on it before I re-purposed it . The motherboard is also new , the
old one still functioned but was not Win7 compatible . Everything works
just swell in XP , though the T-bird version here is 52.something and
it's a little slow sometimes . I'm wondering if I need to step back to
an earlier version ... or if I need to dump T-bird and go with another
email/newsgroup client . Anybody using Outlook ?

I'd test the hard out anyway.

And Indeed, transfer your remote apps Thunderbird profile
to the same version of Thunderbird, before updating
Thunderbird.

And before updating, export your address books to an LDIF
file. You will thank me later!

Old versions:
https://ftp.mozilla.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 17:13, micky wrote:
I'm sure t-bird will work with 7, it works with 10, but I have no
experience.

It works perfectly
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2020 8:46 PM, Snag wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

Unless something changed, it works well with W7 and now W10. If nothing
else, try removing and reinstalling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 17:46, Snag wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* The Win7 install is in a nearly-new 500 Gb hdd - I had some music
stored on it before I re-purposed it . The motherboard is also new ,
the old one still functioned but was not Win7 compatible . Everything
works just swell in XP , though the T-bird version here is
52.something and it's a little slow sometimes . I'm wondering if I
need to step back to an earlier version ... or if I need to dump
T-bird and go with another email/newsgroup client . Anybody using
Outlook ?

I'd test the hard out anyway.

And Indeed, transfer your remote apps Thunderbird profile
to the same version of Thunderbird, before updating
Thunderbird.

And before updating, export your address books to an LDIF
file.Â* You will thank me later!

Old versions:
Â*Â* https://ftp.mozilla.org

T , this is a totally new install , on new or very close to new
hardware . There's nothing to back up or transfer . I have been rambling
along on the XP install for everything but more and more stuff just
ain't working in XP . I have been setting stuff up in 7 a little at a
time and testing as I go to make sure everything works as desired , this
is the first glitch I've had . Well , I guess we'll see what happens ,
my laptop (which also runs 7) is automagically installing the latest
version . If it gives problems I'll know where the problem is .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2020 8:46 PM, Snag wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

Unless something changed, it works well with W7 and now W10.Â* If nothing
else, try removing and reinstalling.

Your reply hasn't shown up yet on the desktop , I have already
uninstalled/reinstalled once , no change at all . This comp just updated
to the newest , so far no problems - you were referring to T-bird ?

Additional note , I also just set up my email on the desktop , don't
know if that would make a difference . This comp is set up only with
newsgroups .
--
Snag on the
travelin' laptop

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2020 7:19 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:37 PM, Snag wrote:
Â*Â* so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much
since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo and had
problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7 because so much
just won't function in XP any more . There are a few thing I prefer XP
for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS , just trying to get as
much moved over as I can and email/newsgroups are a primary task for
my desktop . It's a pain in the ass to keep rebooting when I want to
change over .

From the narrative I can't tell which isn't working -- trying 68.9.0 on
XP (not supported, so not terribly surprising it doesn' work if that's
the case) or Win7.

I didn't keep the XP partition but have had on issues on Win7.

I presume but I haven't looked that one can revert to earlier releases
if do need to get back to an XP running case.

--

I'm setting up 7 on the desktop , which is dual boot XP and 7 . The
latest version of T-bird that will run on XP is 52.9.1 . I really wasn't

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 17:46, Snag wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â* https://ftp.mozilla.org

Â* T , this is a totally new install , on new or very close to new
hardware . There's nothing to back up or transfer . I have been rambling
along on the XP install for everything but more and more stuff just
ain't working in XP . I have been setting stuff up in 7 a little at a
time and testing as I go to make sure everything works as desired , this
is the first glitch I've had . Well , I guess we'll see what happens ,
my laptop (which also runs 7) is automagically installing the latest
version . If it gives problems I'll know where the problem is .

Snag,

I support Thunderbird professionally. I was getting ahead of
my self. I am also presuming you know the file system

If you transfer %appdata%\remote\Thunderbird from XP to W7,
you "should" (watch the "weasel" word) get everything back.
If not, tell me the error message and I will couch you
around it.

Now on W7 if all you what to get working is a bare install
of Thunderbird and you are getting these error, then something
else is wrong.

Also try starting Thunderbird with
thunderbird --safe-mode

If you don't care what is on Thunderbird yet and don't want
to do a transfer, erase %appdata%\remote\Thunderbird and
start over.

Are you using IMAP?

And are you having troubles with any other programs?

Also, configure switching to Fedora, rather than Windows.
You can fly before you buy.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/

Just DD it to flash drive with

Fedora Media Writer:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...age/index.html

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

I use Outlook for email but it doesn't do Usenet. You'll need something
else for that. I use Forte Agent but there are plenty of Usenet clients
available if T'bird isn't working for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 18:26, SNAG wrote:
On 6/20/2020 7:19 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:37 PM, Snag wrote:
Â*Â* so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much
since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo and had
problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7 because so
much just won't function in XP any more . There are a few thing I
prefer XP for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS , just trying
to get as much moved over as I can and email/newsgroups are a primary
task for my desktop . It's a pain in the ass to keep rebooting when I
want to change over .

Â*From the narrative I can't tell which isn't working -- trying 68.9.0
on XP (not supported, so not terribly surprising it doesn' work if
that's the case) or Win7.

I didn't keep the XP partition but have had on issues on Win7.

I presume but I haven't looked that one can revert to earlier releases
if do need to get back to an XP running case.

--

Â*Â* I'm setting up 7 on the desktop , which is dual boot XP and 7 . The
latest version of T-bird that will run on XP is 52.9.1 . I really wasn't
expecting problems , the desktop is running a 2.2Ghz quad core AMD
processor with 8Gb of RAM and a new motherboardÂ* .

If you set up Fedora instead, you can install qemu-kvm (kernel
Virtual machine) and set up a virtual machine for both XP and
W7 and not have to screw around with booting back and forth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2020 8:46 PM, Snag wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

Â* Your reply hasn't shown up yet on the desktopÂ* , I have already
uninstalled/reinstalled once , no change at all . This comp just updated
to the newest , so far no problems - you were referring to T-bird ?

Â* Additional note , I also just set up my email on the desktop , don't
know if that would make a difference . This comp is set up only with
newsgroups .

Yes, Thunderbird.
I use T-bird only for newsgroups too. I've used Agent but this is
better. You can use it free but since it works well and I use it a lot
I did make a donation for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 18:26, SNAG wrote:
On 6/20/2020 7:19 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:37 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â* I'm setting up 7 on the desktop , which is dual boot XP and 7 .
The latest version of T-bird that will run on XP is 52.9.1 . I really
wasn't expecting problems , the desktop is running a 2.2Ghz quad core
AMD processor with 8Gb of RAM and a new motherboardÂ* .

If you set up Fedora instead, you can install qemu-kvm (kernel
Virtual machine) and set up a virtual machine for both XP and
W7 and not have to screw around with booting back and forth.

I'm not that into all this ... besides I got it figgered out now ,
using version 60.6.1 - but I suspect that restarting it will update to
the latest version unless I change some settings .
--
Snag
Witty saying
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/20/2020 05:37 PM, Snag wrote:
so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much
since it keeps locking up .

I checked my 7 laptop and it's 12.0.1. Odd, since it says it's up to
date. My Win7 box at work also has TBird and it updates every now and
then but I don't have a clue what the version is.

I'm writing this with TBird on a Linux box but that one is 45.6.0 so
it's only 4 years behind rather than 8.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 18:37:21 -0500, Snag wrote:

so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much
since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo and had
problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7 because so much
just won't function in XP any more . There are a few thing I prefer XP
for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS , just trying to get as
much moved over as I can and email/newsgroups are a primary task for my
desktop . It's a pain in the ass to keep rebooting when I want to change
over .

Do yourself a favor and dual boot XP and 10 Professional. Don't know
anything that won't work on either one or the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

Go with Agent 8. Outlook is a great mail client but an awfull news
client.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 20:05, Clare Snyder wrote:
Outlook is a great mail client

Hi Clare,

Outlook stores everything is a single database. Get
a clinker and you are so, so, so screwed.

Make over 1,200 U$D off a lady that refused to
learn anything new. I was the fifth guy she used and
the only one that got her eMail back. And it was
about 30 GB worth: basically, her entire business.
And she bitched and bitched and bitched about having
to use Thunderbird. What an idiot.

Don't trust Outlook to anything that is dear to you.
Outlook sucks.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

Outlook doesnt do usenet.

Outlook Express does but you have to use the second to last version to get
quoting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 17:46, Snag wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* T , this is a totally new install , on new or very close to new
hardware . There's nothing to back up or transfer . I have been
rambling along on the XP install for everything but more and more
stuff just ain't working in XP . I have been setting stuff up in 7 a
little at a time and testing as I go to make sure everything works as
desired , this is the first glitch I've had . Well , I guess we'll see
what happens , my laptop (which also runs 7) is automagically
installing the latest version . If it gives problems I'll know where
the problem is .

Snag,

I support Thunderbird professionally.Â* I was getting ahead of
my self.Â* I am also presuming you know the file system

If you transfer %appdata%\remote\Thunderbird from XP to W7,
you "should" (watch the "weasel" word) get everything back.
If not, tell me the error message and I will couch you
around it.

Now on W7 if all you what to get working is a bare install
of Thunderbird and you are getting these error, then something
else is wrong.

Also try starting Thunderbird with
Â*Â*Â*Â* thunderbird --safe-mode

If you don't care what is on Thunderbird yet and don't want
to do a transfer, erase %appdata%\remote\Thunderbird and
start over.

Are you using IMAP?

And are you having troubles with any other programs?

Also, configure switching to Fedora, rather than Windows.
You can fly before you buy.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/

Just DD it to flash drive with

Fedora Media Writer:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...age/index.html

-T

Thanks T , I've got it sorted out now . I still don't know what the
problem was , but here's what I did :
uninstalled T-bird
did a cold restart of comp
reinstalled an earlier version - 60.6.1
There is a chance this will update to 68.9.1 when I close and restart
it , don't know yet if the problems will start all over but I hope not .

All is working correctly now . This is the first problem I've had
setting this comp up . This has all but one old laptop running W7 now ,
and that old Tosh is probably too old for 7 .
--
Snag
Witty saying
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 17:46, Snag wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* thunderbird --safe-mode

If you don't care what is on Thunderbird yet and don't want
to do a transfer, erase %appdata%\remote\Thunderbird and
start over.

Are you using IMAP?

And are you having troubles with any other programs?

Also, configure switching to Fedora, rather than Windows.
You can fly before you buy.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/

Just DD it to flash drive with

Fedora Media Writer:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...age/index.html

-T

Â* Thanks T , I've got it sorted out now . I still don't know what the
problem was , but here's what I did :
Â* uninstalled T-bird
did a cold restart of comp
reinstalled an earlier version - 60.6.1
Â* There is a chance this will update to 68.9.1 when I close and restart
it , don't know yet if the problems will start all over but I hope not .

Â* All is working correctly now . This is the first problem I've had
setting this comp up . This has all but one old laptop running W7 now ,
and that old Tosh is probably too old for 7 .

It should work fine even after update, but you can disable updates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 21:01, Snag wrote:
Thanks T , I've got it sorted out now . I still don't know what the
problemÂ*wasÂ*,Â*butÂ*here'sÂ*whatÂ*IÂ*didÂ*:
Â*Â*uninstalledÂ*T-bird
didÂ*aÂ*coldÂ*restartÂ*ofÂ*comp
reinstalledÂ*anÂ*earlierÂ*versionÂ*-Â*60.6.1
Â* There is a chance this will update to 68.9.1 when I close and restart
itÂ*,Â*don'tÂ*knowÂ*yetÂ*ifÂ*theÂ*problemsÂ*willÂ* startÂ*allÂ*overÂ*butÂ*IÂ*hopeÂ*notÂ*.

Â* All is working correctly now . This is the first problem I've had
setting this comp up . This has all but one old laptop running W7 now ,
andÂ*thatÂ*oldÂ*ToshÂ*isÂ*probablyÂ*tooÂ*oldÂ*for *7Â*.

Somewhere between 60 and 68 they changed the way they do addressbooks.
You are not suppose to notice, unless you do. Before
upgrading, go to your address book and export your address
books as LDIF files. If yo notice, you will thank me later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 20:05, Clare Snyder wrote:
Outlook is a great mail client

Hi Clare,

Outlook stores everything is a single database. Get
a clinker and you are so, so, so screwed.

Make over 1,200 U$D off a lady that refused to
learn anything new. I was the fifth guy she used and
the only one that got her eMail back. And it was
about 30 GB worth: basically, her entire business.
And she bitched and bitched and bitched about having
to use Thunderbird. What an idiot.

Don't trust Outlook to anything that is dear to you.
Outlook sucks.

I've been using Outlook for over 20 years without a single issue. IMHO,
there isn't a better email client.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 13:28:24 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 18:37:21 -0500, Snag wrote:

so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much
since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo and had
problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7 because so much
just won't function in XP any more . There are a few thing I prefer XP
for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS , just trying to get as
much moved over as I can and email/newsgroups are a primary task for my
desktop . It's a pain in the ass to keep rebooting when I want to change
over .

.... might it be a 32 bit / 64 bit conflict ?
although you would probably get an error message
to that ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 17:13, micky wrote:
I'm sure t-bird will work with 7, it works with 10, but I have no
experience.

It works perfectly

I still don't know what happened the first go-round , but I'm using
60.9.1 now and it works just swell . The option to update to 68.9.0 is
there , but I'm a bit nervous about letting it update , that's the
version that gave me so much trouble . Hey , it works now and you know
what they say ...
--
Snag
Witty saying
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 20:05, Clare Snyder wrote:
Outlook is a great mail client

Hi Clare,

Outlook stores everything is a single database. Get
a clinker and you are so, so, so screwed.

Make over 1,200 U$D off a lady that refused to
learn anything new. I was the fifth guy she used and
the only one that got her eMail back. And it was
about 30 GB worth: basically, her entire business.
And she bitched and bitched and bitched about having
to use Thunderbird. What an idiot.

Don't trust Outlook to anything that is dear to you.
Outlook sucks.

I've been using Outlook for over 20 years without a single issue. IMHO,
there isn't a better email client.

I'd pretty much need to agree with it - and if you are not confident,
just back up the PST file regularly. IF it crashes, just re-install
and point it to the backup PST. Archive your PST file to keep the
default PST light and nimble. Particularly anything newer than 2003 is
pretty much rock solid as an email client.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 09:30:22 -0400, wrote:

[...]

The only thing I can think of as an excuse to keep XP is if you have
qbasic programs to run - and even then just running a dosbox emulator
looks after most of that. (Didn't work for one customer who used some
ancient handheld as a data collection unit for a landsurveying
application written in MS Basic, ported to QBasic - and the handhelds
couldn't talk to DOS throughthe emulator, so we kept a windows 98
machine for them to dump the data to from the handhelds when they came
in from the field. AN XP box couild likely have been used there as
well, but the old 98SE box (an ancient IBM ThinkStation?) still
functioned. The Win98 machine was able to store the data on the shared
file hosted on the Win7 machine used as a peer to peer "server" that
stored all the data and drawings even when the draftsmen switched up
to W10.
We got rid of the Novel patchwork system when we converted to 98SE
from Win3.3 back around 2003 or there-abouts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 20:05, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

Ya. Lots of luck with that. It is a total pain
in the ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 17:13, micky wrote:
I'm sure t-bird will work with 7, it works with 10, but I have no
experience.

It works perfectly

Â* I still don't know what happened the first go-round , but I'm using
60.9.1 now and it works just swell . The option to update to 68.9.0 is
there , but I'm a bit nervous about letting it update , that's the
version that gave me so much trouble . Hey , it works now and you know
what they say ...

If you are nervous, make a copy of %appdata\remote\Thunderbird
before proceeding

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 17:13, micky wrote:
I'm sure t-bird will work with 7, it works with 10, but I have no
experience.

It works perfectly

Â* I still don't know what happened the first go-round , but I'm using
60.9.1 now and it works just swell . The option to update to 68.9.0 is
there , but I'm a bit nervous about letting it update , that's the
version that gave me so much trouble . Hey , it works now and you know
what they say ...

Just make an image backup of the main disk before any change like this.
It is relatively easy to get things back that way if anything goes wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-20 20:05, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

For you as a technician, I agree it's a PITA. Never anything to fix. You
can't earn a living that way. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2020 04:04 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
The only thing I can think of as an excuse to keep XP is if you have
qbasic programs to run - and even then just running a dosbox emulator
looks after most of that.

We have one prehistoric utility that uses curses for the interface. When
Win7 dropped ANSI.sys we installed dosbox and it worked fine. It's
seldom used anymore or I would look at rewriting the interface.

Another casualty was HyperTerminal. That could be copied to 7 but I
don't think it works on 10. Believe it or not there still is serial
peripheral equipment in use and we use DigiPorts to connect to them.
HyperTerminal is handy for twiddling parity, stop bits, and all that
other good old stuff until you get a response that isn't garbage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 20:35:38 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 06/21/2020 04:04 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
The only thing I can think of as an excuse to keep XP is if you have
qbasic programs to run - and even then just running a dosbox emulator
looks after most of that.

We have one prehistoric utility that uses curses for the interface. When
Win7 dropped ANSI.sys we installed dosbox and it worked fine. It's
seldom used anymore or I would look at rewriting the interface.

Another casualty was HyperTerminal. That could be copied to 7 but I
don't think it works on 10. Believe it or not there still is serial
peripheral equipment in use and we use DigiPorts to connect to them.
HyperTerminal is handy for twiddling parity, stop bits, and all that
other good old stuff until you get a response that isn't garbage.

TeraTerm or PuTTY -(or KiTTY or SmarTTY) or a host of other prgrams
are available to take HyperTerminal's place. Maybe none are as "down
and dirty" as HyperT but they will get the job done
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2020 11:14 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
TeraTerm or PuTTY -(or KiTTY or SmarTTY) or a host of other prgrams
are available to take HyperTerminal's place. Maybe none are as "down
and dirty" as HyperT but they will get the job done

I use putty -ssh but haven't had to use it with a serial connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 20:35:38 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

We have one prehistoric utility

But that's what you are! Good description of yourself, senile idiot! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 23:25:15 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

I use putty -ssh but haven't had to use it with a serial connection.

I'd like to use putty to seal your endlessly babbling gob, lowbrowman! LOL

Win7 printer hint Paul D Smith UK diy 2 December 4th 12 07:49 PM
which headsets work under Win7 Pro 32? David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 2 March 20th 12 05:27 PM
OT'ish: Win7 32 bit and 64 bit OEM licences NoSpam UK diy 27 March 8th 12 10:16 PM
Needhams EMP30 EPROM programmer on Win7 Oppie[_6_] Electronic Schematics 60 April 3rd 10 01:48 AM
RSPB as a ProHunt group coming out of the closet Do Bird Reserves and Fox Hounds Mix? Help stop fox hunting on the RSPB's bird reserves Phil L UK diy 1 March 23rd 07 10:08 AM