Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Win7 and T-bird

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 20:35:38 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 06/21/2020 04:04 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
The only thing I can think of as an excuse to keep XP is if you have
qbasic programs to run - and even then just running a dosbox emulator
looks after most of that.

We have one prehistoric utility that uses curses for the interface. When
Win7 dropped ANSI.sys we installed dosbox and it worked fine. It's
seldom used anymore or I would look at rewriting the interface.

Another casualty was HyperTerminal. That could be copied to 7 but I
don't think it works on 10. Believe it or not there still is serial
peripheral equipment in use and we use DigiPorts to connect to them.
HyperTerminal is handy for twiddling parity, stop bits, and all that
other good old stuff until you get a response that isn't garbage.

TeraTerm or PuTTY -(or KiTTY or SmarTTY) or a host of other prgrams
are available to take HyperTerminal's place. Maybe none are as "down
and dirty" as HyperT but they will get the job done