Posted to alt.home.repair
T[_6_] T[_6_] is offline

Default Win7 and T-bird

On 2020-06-20 18:03, Snag wrote:
On 6/20/2020 7:51 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 17:46, Snag wrote:
On 6/20/2020 6:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 16:37, Snag wrote:
Â*Â* so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7
install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version
68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do
much since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo
and had problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7
because so much just won't function in XP any more . There are a
few thing I prefer XP for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS
, just trying to get as much moved over as I can and
email/newsgroups are a primary task for my desktop . It's a pain in
the ass to keep rebooting when I want to change over .

Try these guys:

mozilla.support.thunderbird

But be careful, it is a "moderated" group.Â* Watch
who/what you insult.

Also, this sounds like a hardware issue.Â* Test
your hard drive health with:

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net....php/Downloads

Â*Â* The Win7 install is in a nearly-new 500 Gb hdd - I had some music
stored on it before I re-purposed it . The motherboard is also new ,
the old one still functioned but was not Win7 compatible . Everything
works just swell in XP , though the T-bird version here is
52.something and it's a little slow sometimes . I'm wondering if I
need to step back to an earlier version ... or if I need to dump
T-bird and go with another email/newsgroup client . Anybody using
Outlook ?

I'd test the hard out anyway.

And Indeed, transfer your remote apps Thunderbird profile
to the same version of Thunderbird, before updating
Thunderbird.

And before updating, export your address books to an LDIF
file.Â* You will thank me later!

Old versions:
Â*Â*Â* https://ftp.mozilla.org

Â* T , this is a totally new install , on new or very close to new
hardware . There's nothing to back up or transfer . I have been rambling
along on the XP install for everything but more and more stuff just
ain't working in XP . I have been setting stuff up in 7 a little at a
time and testing as I go to make sure everything works as desired , this
is the first glitch I've had . Well , I guess we'll see what happens ,
my laptop (which also runs 7) is automagically installing the latest
version . If it gives problems I'll know where the problem is .

Snag,

I support Thunderbird professionally. I was getting ahead of
my self. I am also presuming you know the file system

If you transfer %appdata%\remote\Thunderbird from XP to W7,
you "should" (watch the "weasel" word) get everything back.
If not, tell me the error message and I will couch you
around it.

Now on W7 if all you what to get working is a bare install
of Thunderbird and you are getting these error, then something
else is wrong.

Also try starting Thunderbird with
thunderbird --safe-mode

If you don't care what is on Thunderbird yet and don't want
to do a transfer, erase %appdata%\remote\Thunderbird and
start over.

Are you using IMAP?

And are you having troubles with any other programs?

Also, configure switching to Fedora, rather than Windows.
You can fly before you buy.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/

Just DD it to flash drive with

Fedora Media Writer: