Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall mount TV

I want to wall mount our 55" TV. I see mounts from $12 to $60. I don't
want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to tilt.

I see you mount on the wall and a part on the TV. How do you put them
together? I will have help lifting it in place.

I also know exactly where the studs are. I have a photo of the framed
wall when it was being built and a stud is to the right of a box on the
wall. No guessing there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-06 9:41 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I want to wall mount our 55" TV.* I see mounts from $12 to $60.* I don't
want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to tilt.

I see you mount on the wall and a part on the TV.* How do you put them
together?* I will have help lifting it in place.

I also know exactly where the studs are.* I have a photo of the framed
wall when it was being built and a stud is to the right of a box on the
wall.* No guessing there.

Depending on the mount, the brackets that are bolted to the back of the
screen hook onto the upper wall bracket and the bottom swings into
place. The last video wall I put together had a flat rod that locked
the bottom into place with the option to padlock it so the TV was secure.

The other screens I maintain have a spring latch mechanism that "clicks"
the bottom bracket into place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2019 04:41, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I want to wall mount our 55" TV.* I see mounts from $12 to $60.* I don't
want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to tilt.

I see you mount on the wall and a part on the TV.* How do you put them
together?* I will have help lifting it in place.

I also know exactly where the studs are.* I have a photo of the framed
wall when it was being built and a stud is to the right of a box on the
wall.* No guessing there.

This Youtube video might be of help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTrgoqtfjDg

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote

I want to wall mount our 55" TV. I see mounts from $12 to $60. I don't
want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to tilt.

But horizontal articulating does make it easier to mount
the TV and can be handy to change a cable etc too.

I see you mount on the wall and a part on the TV. How do you put them
together?

You attach the mount to the wall. Pull the plate that bolts
onto the back of the TV out, screw it onto the TV, push the
TV back against the wall. Tilt it to the angle you want.

I will have help lifting it in place.

Yeah, its too big to do alone.

I also know exactly where the studs are. I have a photo of the framed
wall when it was being built and a stud is to the right of a box on the
wall. No guessing there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 23:41:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I want to wall mount our 55" TV. I see mounts from $12 to $60. I don't
want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to tilt.

I see you mount on the wall and a part on the TV. How do you put them
together? I will have help lifting it in place.

I also know exactly where the studs are. I have a photo of the framed
wall when it was being built and a stud is to the right of a box on the
wall. No guessing there.

You can usually hang these TVs up there yourself because they are not
that heavy but it is easier with 2 people. They just hook on top and
snap in on the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 11:59:28 PM UTC-5, Idlehands wrote:
On 2019-01-06 9:41 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

That's how the ones I have worked too. There was a small cord in the back
that you later pull to release the latch so it comes off. There is
flexibility on the spacing of the verticles on the wall so that you
can be on joists.

Ed should also consider how to run the power cord and cables. There are
wall boxes you can put in behind it that have a receptacle and coax,
plus an opening to run HDMI, or whatever through. HD has them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2019 10:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I want to wall mount our 55" TV.* I see mounts from $12 to $60.* I don't
want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to tilt.

I see you mount on the wall and a part on the TV.* How do you put them
together?* I will have help lifting it in place.

I also know exactly where the studs are.* I have a photo of the framed
wall when it was being built and a stud is to the right of a box on the
wall.* No guessing there.

Not really any of my business, but is there a good reason to
hang your TV on the wall? As far as I can see this is basically
a fashion statement. I personally like to have more
flexibility. I haven't moved my TV in 20 years, but if it
was hung on the wall it would be much more difficult to move
than if was set on some kind of stand. And after moving a
wall mount I would have to patch the wall.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 9:13:59 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
[...]

Good point. I prefer the TV lower, on a stand, for a more comfortable
viewing angle too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/07/2019 07:13 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
Not really any of my business, but is there a good reason to
hang your TV on the wall? As far as I can see this is basically
a fashion statement. I personally like to have more
flexibility. I haven't moved my TV in 20 years, but if it
was hung on the wall it would be much more difficult to move
than if was set on some kind of stand. And after moving a
wall mount I would have to patch the wall.

So you like vacuuming around the stand and dusting behind the screen
like you've been doing to the past 20 years because you might want to
move it some day?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:

I want to wall mount our 55" TV. I see mounts from $12 to $60. I
don't want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to
tilt.

I see you mount on the wall and a part on the TV. How do you put them
together? I will have help lifting it in place.

My TV is 46".
I had no trouble installing the wall mount stuff and lifting the TV
in place. With 55" you might need help. You just lift the TV up
and set it on the brackets. Some brackets come with places for pad locks.

I also know exactly where the studs are. I have a photo of the framed
wall when it was being built and a stud is to the right of a box on
the wall. No guessing there.

Another poster declared wall mounting is a fad.
BS. The TV can't fall over and it takes less room attached to the wall.
So, looks better, saves space, works better, a perfect DIY improvement.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2019 9:13 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

Not really any of my business, but is there a good reason to
hang your TV on the wall?* As far as I can see this is basically
a fashion statement.* I personally like to have more
flexibility.* I haven't moved my TV in 20 years, but if it
was hung on the wall it would be much more difficult to move
than if was set on some kind of stand.* And after moving a
wall mount I would have to patch the wall.

Bill

Mostly I agree, but. . .
I have a nice 2 drawer stand that I built from oak a few years back to
fit a 32" HD TV. Now we have a 55" and it overhangs the sides.

There is no other place to put the TV but against this one wall so
moving is not a consideration. It would also be more comfortable to
have it about 9" higher. It will be safer too, no chance to knock it
over. No, it is not above a fireplace that is way too high.

The stand will now hold the cable box, Amazon box, speaker bar.

As for moving, I won't be. We just moved here a couple of weeks ago so
holes in the wall will be my kids problem when the undertaker removes me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-06 9:41 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

The builder put them in. There is a receptacle and a wiring box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Do you have an HD TV? These things are fairly light and amenable to put
on the wall. I could scarcely lift my old CRT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2019 1:20 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

I bought an HD TV that has a 16:9 CRT. It was in the $1000 range when
flat screens were still in the $2500 and up range. It weighed 185 pounds.

After a lightening strike nearby, I needed a new TV and bought a 47" for
$828 and watched the price come down every month by at least $50. Now
it would be in the $325 range.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/19 1:20 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

The current crop of LEDs aren't very heavy but I've got two 10 year old
Panasonic plasma sets (50" and 42") that would give you half a hernia if
you tried to heft them yourself, especially the 50".

I wouldn't mind getting some new ones, but those old dogs- which are
usually on a lot of hours each day- still work perfectly! Never had a
hiccup.

Main downside is I live in the Deep South and they throw a lot of heat.
Nice during the short, generally mild winter- not so nice the rest of
the year.

--
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the
naughty girls live.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 23:41:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I want to wall mount our 55" TV. I see mounts from $12 to $60. I don't
want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to tilt.

I see you mount on the wall and a part on the TV. How do you put them
together? I will have help lifting it in place.

I also know exactly where the studs are. I have a photo of the framed
wall when it was being built and a stud is to the right of a box on the
wall. No guessing there.

You can usually hang these TVs up there yourself because they are not that
heavy

The problem isnt the heavy, its that with something
that big its hard to hold it up and screw the screws
in at the same time and keep it in place so the screws
can go into the holes without a crossed thread.

but it is easier with 2 people. They just hook on top and
snap in on the bottom.

Not all of them are done like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 2:11:17 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 23:41:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I want to wall mount our 55" TV. I see mounts from $12 to $60. I don't
want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to tilt.

I see you mount on the wall and a part on the TV. How do you put them
together? I will have help lifting it in place.

I also know exactly where the studs are. I have a photo of the framed
wall when it was being built and a stud is to the right of a box on the
wall. No guessing there.

You can usually hang these TVs up there yourself because they are not that
heavy

The problem isnt the heavy, its that with something
that big its hard to hold it up and screw the screws
in at the same time and keep it in place so the screws
can go into the holes without a crossed thread.

Total BS. Try reading the other posts.

but it is easier with 2 people. They just hook on top and
snap in on the bottom.

Not all of them are done like that.

I've never seen one that wasn't designed in two pieces, it would be
the most stupid thing and no one would buy it when the stores are all
full of the right ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2019 1:49 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 1/7/19 1:20 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

I guess there is a matter of the time frame and I don't know it and
don't know when they first became available. Google tells me that sets
and broadcasting HD came out in 1998.

Might have been 5 years since I got all HD TV's and as Ed responded they
keep getting lighter, bigger and cheaper. I do remember even years ago
you could not even give away or have a charity accept a perfectly
functioning CRT TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Try watching the youtube someone posted.

but it is easier with 2 people. They just hook on top and
snap in on the bottom.

Not all of them are done like that.

I've never seen one that wasn't designed in two pieces,

Yes, but you still have that screw problem
when connecting the two pieces with some.

it would be
the most stupid thing and no one would buy it when the stores are all
full of the right ones.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 06:11:04 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Buy one that does. They seem to be the most common.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I want to wall mount our 55" TV. I see mounts from $12 to $60. I don't
want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to tilt.

But horizontal articulating does make it easier to mount
the TV and can be handy to change a cable etc too.

I like the swing-out models for access to the rear of the TV.
Here's the unit I bought .. $ 99. Canuck dollars.

http://tinyurl.com/y8gauyck

The audio-video stores charge much more for models that
aren't any better.
This one comes with heavy plastic hollow wall anchors -
use your wall studs whenever you can.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 23:41:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I want to wall mount our 55" TV. I see mounts from $12 to $60. I don't
want or need articulating, just flat and maybe the ability to tilt.

I see you mount on the wall and a part on the TV. How do you put them
together? I will have help lifting it in place.

I also know exactly where the studs are. I have a photo of the framed
wall when it was being built and a stud is to the right of a box on the
wall. No guessing there.

Most of them work much like a "french cleat" with a retainer screw
to keep them from being knocked off.

How heavy is your TV?

I made the mistake of buying a cabinet to hold my 52 inch plasma
-said it was good for 70 inch tv - andin small print "53 lbs" -- - - -
Duh - the Panasonic plasma weighs 235 - - - - -

I wouldn't hang THAT on a 12 dollar wall bracket ----
I'd think twice - real hard - about hanging it at all-------
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Having a problem now with English? WTF? There is no screw problem,
no screws are required to put the two halves together on the wall.
Geez.

it would be
the most stupid thing and no one would buy it when the stores are all
full of the right ones.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

I'm trashing you, fool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 2:58:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 06:11:04 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You'd have to be a moron to buy some piece of crap that requires you to
put screws in it while holding it up to the wall. Apparently they are mighty
dumb down under.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 08:13:52 -0600, Bill Gill
wrote:

[...]

A wall mount takes up no floor space and collects less dust

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 13:46:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/7/2019 1:20 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

We replaced a 26 inch CRT with a new 40 inch Plasma for $2800 around
Christmas 2008. Had to throw away the "entertainment unit" it fit in
too,and we replaced it with a lowe cabinet with an electric fireplace
in it. I could buy a 50 inch LED 4K for less than 1/4 that today - -

Had another 26 inch CRT in the basement - in a semi-built-in cabinet.
When it died I had to look high and low for a flatscreen that would
fit the opening. Not too many that would fit!!!.

Then a customer decided they needed a 70inch TV with 4 HDMI inputs to
replace their 2006 50 or 52 inch Panasonic Plasma - and I scored the
plasma for $150 - about half what a cheap LCD TV would cost new.

HEAVY PIG!!!!! and no way it would fit in the old cabinet. It sat on
top for a few years until I decided the old cabinet had to go and I
bought another electric fireplace cabinet for the basement - the one
rated for a 50-some lb 72 inch TV

Had to re-enforce it to hold the 235 lb plasma - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote: "Not really any of my business, but is there a good reason to
hang your TV on the wall? As far as I can see this is basically
a fashion statement. I personally like to have "

Saves space, that's all. But I cannot
abide mounting them above fireplace
mantles - for any reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nope.

Watch the ****ing youtube.

it would be
the most stupid thing and no one would buy it when the stores are all
full of the right ones.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

I'm trashing you, fool.

Only in your pathetic little drug crazed drunken psychotic fantasyland.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 2:58:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 06:11:04 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Never said while holding it up to the wall. Watch the ****ing youtube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/19 1:20 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I paid almost three thousand dollars for the pair of them. Couple
of hundred bucks each now....

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen victim tragedy
stories in the news?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/19 8:13 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

[snip]

Not really any of my business, but is there a good reason to
hang your TV on the wall?

To make more efficient use of space. I do have a piece of furniture
below the TV, but use that for a DVR.

As far as I can see this is basically
a fashion statement.

I wound NOT do it for that reason.

I personally like to have more
flexibility.* I haven't moved my TV in 20 years, but if it
was hung on the wall it would be much more difficult to move
than if was set on some kind of stand.* And after moving a
wall mount I would have to patch the wall.

Or just hang something there.

Bill

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Every morning is the dawn of a new error..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/19 12:20 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Do you have an HD TV?* These things are fairly light and amenable to put
on the wall.* I could scarcely lift my old CRT.

Before buying my main TV (LCD), I had a 27-inch CRT TV. That "portable"
TV weighed 90 pounds.

BTW, the first HD TVs were CRT and cost as much as a new car. I knew
someone who had a rear-projection TV with THREE CRTs.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Every morning is the dawn of a new error..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/19 1:25 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I guess there is a matter of the time frame and I don't know it and
don't know when they first became available.* Google tells me that sets
and broadcasting HD came out in 1998.

IIRC, there was already HDTV broadcasting in Japan.

Might have been 5 years since I got all HD TV's and as Ed responded they
keep getting lighter, bigger and cheaper.* I do remember even years ago
you could not even give away or have a charity accept a perfectly
functioning CRT TV.

In about 2005, a neighbor got a new LCD TV and got rid of a 40-inch
rear-projection set. Put it out on the curb with a "free" sign on it.
Nobody wanted it.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Every morning is the dawn of a new error..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/19 9:48 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
In about 2005, a neighbor got a new LCD TV and got rid of a 40-inch rear-projection set. Put it out on the curb with a "free" sign on it. Nobody wanted it.

Free implies it's junk. Put a "For Sale $400 Firm" sign on it and some democrat will steal it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I still don't understand why people "have to" mount their TVs above a
fireplace. The heat is probably no good for the TV and you have to keep
your head looking way up. I was watching a home show the other night
where they put a TV above a really tall fireplace. It was totally
crazy. My preference is to have the TV so you look straight out from
your main watching spot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2019 8:45 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

I still don't understand why people "have to" mount their TVs above a
fireplace.* The heat is probably no good for the TV and you have to keep
your head looking way up.* I was watching a home show the other night
where they put a TV above a really tall fireplace.* It was totally
crazy.* My preference is to have the TV so you look straight out from
your main watching spot.

I found this and IMO, it is on the high side. I plan to raise the
height by about 9" and it will be comfortable for us.

https://www.dynamicmounting.com/high-mount-flat-screen/
More and more people are discovering the advantages of wall-mounting
their television every day.

Moving away from cumbersome TV stands allows you to save tons of room in
your home, and creates a more unified and clean look to your home, keep
reading to learn more.

There are several questions to ask before you mount your screen,
however, not the least of which is how high to place the mount.

Learn about flat screen mounting, including how high up you should mount
your TV and where you can get the best wall mount products for the job.

Flat Screen Mounting
Determining the ideal height for your flat screen mounting isnt as
simple a proposition as you might think.

To discern the ideal height for mounting, youll need to understand
several different aspects of the TV itself, including its size, the
viewing distance, eye level height and the viewing angle.

Size of the TV
This is self-explanatory and represents the viewing area of the TV.

Do you have a 32 TV? A 42? 55? Knowing the size of your TV will help
you to determine the mounting. Remember, when mounting the TV, youre
not judging from floor to bottom or top, but floor to the center of the
TV. Also, remember that your TV size is going to represent the diagonal
viewing area. Thus, youll want to use a tape measure to figure out how
far up and over the exact center of the screen is.

Viewing Distance
The ideal viewing distance is also based on the size of the television,
and is the perfect distance away from the screen you should be sitting
when you watch. The calculation for this is your TV size, divided by
0.55. As a quick reference, for a 42 television, the optimal viewing
distance is 76 inches away. For a 55, youll want to be 100 away.

The optimal viewing for 65 TVs is 118, and for 70 televisions, youll
ideally want to be 127 away.

Eye Level from Floor and Viewing Angle
Your eye level is calculated, not standing, but sitting where youll be
watching the TV.

Measure the distance from the floor to your eyes to find out how high
youll be sitting. In regards to viewing angle, per the Society of
Motion Picture and Television Engineers, youll want the TV to be
mounted for a viewing angle of not more than 30 degrees. Most people,
however, casually sit between 10 to 15 degrees reclined.

As a rule, a 42 television should be mounted about 56 inches from floor
to TV center, a 55 TV should be around 61 inches, a 65 TV should be
around 65 inches floor to center, and a 70 television should be
mounted about 67 inches to the center of the screen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:25:55 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

and as Ed responded they
keep getting lighter, bigger and cheaper.

Couple days ago I saw a video. CES 2019 is in Las Vegas.

New TVs may be modular. You would buy sections that plug into each
other. Say the wall is 120 inches, then you build the TV to a custom
fit. It speaks about nano-led. Supposedly, you would not be able to
see pixels in the panel.

Another new TV will roll up. I guess you pull it down like a curtain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 08:45:15 -0500, Art Todesco
wrote:

[...]

They want their living room to look like their local sports bar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/08/2019 04:12 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:25:55 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

and as Ed responded they
keep getting lighter, bigger and cheaper.

Couple days ago I saw a video. CES 2019 is in Las Vegas.

New TVs may be modular. You would buy sections that plug into each
other. Say the wall is 120 inches, then you build the TV to a custom
fit. It speaks about nano-led. Supposedly, you would not be able to
see pixels in the panel.

Another new TV will roll up. I guess you pull it down like a curtain.

I just read an article on the new 8K TVs on gizmodo. The reviewer was
underwhelmed. He said the definition was remarkable -- as long as you
had your nose to the glass. More than 4' away and you couldn't tell the
difference. The screens were huge so he wondered about sitting 4' from
an 80" screen.

That's to say nothing of the lack of 8K media. Right now streaming 4K is
pushing it for many people. He though working on a better dynamic range
would be more worthwhile but after trying to explain dynamic range to
his mother and having her wander off concluded it was an easier sell to
convince people 8k is twice as good as 4k.

Personally after going to DVDs, plain vanilla, not Blu-Ray I found I was
seeing too much sweat and makeup flaws already.