Usenet Poster

Default Studs/Wall cabnet mount

I just mounted 5 wall cabinets. The cabinets are from
Home Depot (cheap), and there are only 2 particleboard
slices on the back that are used to mount to studs.

So for 36"Width cabinets, I can only have 4 screws to the studs
(16"OC), and 2 screws for the 18" cabinet.

Is that enough? I am going to connect the adjoinging cabinets by
smaller screws.

Thanks.

Y.
willshak

On 1/25/2005 3:58 PM US(ET), Usenet Poster took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

I just mounted 5 wall cabinets. The cabinets are from
Home Depot (cheap), and there are only 2 particleboard
slices on the back that are used to mount to studs.

So for 36"Width cabinets, I can only have 4 screws to the studs
(16"OC), and 2 screws for the 18" cabinet.

Is that enough? I am going to connect the adjoinging cabinets by
smaller screws.

Thanks.

Y.

You can double up those screws so you have 8 in the 36" cabinet and 4 in
the 18" cabinet if you want. I put two screws through the mounting panel
into the same stud, one over the other on the top panel. I don't put any
in the bottom panel. I use some matching paint to hide the screw heads.
What I then do is to take off the hinges on the side of the cabinet that
butts up to an adjacent cabinet. Drill a countersunk hole between the
two screw holes for the hinge and use a 1-1/4" screw to join the two
cabinets. When you reinstall the hinges, the screw heads are hidden
under the hinge.

--
Bill
Punch

"Usenet Poster" wrote in message

I just mounted 5 wall cabinets. The cabinets are from
Home Depot (cheap), and there are only 2 particleboard
slices on the back that are used to mount to studs.

So for 36"Width cabinets, I can only have 4 screws to the studs
(16"OC), and 2 screws for the 18" cabinet.

Is that enough? I am going to connect the adjoinging cabinets by
smaller screws.

Thanks.

Y.

did you ever think that the studs run up and down, so you could put screw
every 16"(oc) and then 1" apart for the total height of the cabinet!

willshak

On 1/25/2005 7:44 PM US(ET), Punch took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"Usenet Poster" wrote in message

I just mounted 5 wall cabinets. The cabinets are from
Home Depot (cheap), and there are only 2 particleboard
slices on the back that are used to mount to studs.

So for 36"Width cabinets, I can only have 4 screws to the studs
(16"OC), and 2 screws for the 18" cabinet.

Is that enough? I am going to connect the adjoinging cabinets by
smaller screws.

Thanks.

Y.

did you ever think that the studs run up and down, so you could put screw
every 16"(oc) and then 1" apart for the total height of the cabinet!

The back of the cabinet is just a 1/8" composite material with a printed
wood grain that slides into grooves in the 3/4" braces across the top
and bottom and then nailed to the braces and cabinet framing. The
printed panel sits about 1/2" from the wall, so it cannot be nailed to
the wall.

--
Bill
Percival P. Cassidy

You're referring to the "Mill's Pride" line? We put up a bunch of those
in our old house without any additional screws (i.e., we just used a
screw through each "rail" at each stud, plus a couple of screws through
each side -- hidden under the hinges -- into the adjacent cabinet), and
they still seemed fine when we left more than two years later.

Perce

On 01/25/05 03:58 pm Usenet Poster tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup: