orangetrader

Default How to mount this mailbox?

Just got this mailbox and would appreciate some advise on how to mount it on
a post. I plan to buy a 4x4 pressure treated wood. But I am scratching my
head on how to mount this box to the post.

The mailbox can be seen in this site:
http://www.canadianmailbox.com/catalogue/janzer.htm in the top picture
where you see the three white mailbox, the middle one - model 117. It is
made of heavy fluted aluminum. There is no hole in the bottom of the box,
so I need to figure out a way to attach it to the top of the post.

One thought is to just drill several holes at the bottom aluminum plate, and
drill similar holes into the wood, and then use heavy duty galvanized steel
screws to screw the bottom to the post? or are there some plates and angles
I should use that will do a better job?

Thanks in advance,

I-zheet M'drurz

orangetrader wrote:

Just got this mailbox and would appreciate some advise on how to
mount it on a post. I plan to buy a 4x4 pressure treated wood.
But I am scratching my head on how to mount this box to the
post.

The mailbox can be seen in this site:
http://www.canadianmailbox.com/catalogue/janzer.htm in the top
picture where you see the three white mailbox, the middle one -
model 117. It is made of heavy fluted aluminum. There is no
hole in the bottom of the box, so I need to figure out a way to
attach it to the top of the post.

One thought is to just drill several holes at the bottom
aluminum plate, and drill similar holes into the wood, and then
use heavy duty galvanized steel screws to screw the bottom to
the post? or are there some plates and angles I should use that
will do a better job?

From the size and shape of this one, it looks like it might be
more intended for *wall* mount??? That's not to say you can't
put it on a post, but I would definately consider putting the
top of the post *behind* it, not on the bottom edge. I would
do just as you planned, but through the back surface to one
side of the post (I'll bet that's where you'll find the pre-
drilled mounting holes?)

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
orangetrader

Yep it is intended for wall mount. But the larger model to it's left can be
both wall and post mount, so I decided to make it post mount.

I think I could put in a taller post and mount it like a wall mount and yes
there are 2 predrilled holes in the back. However I think a post underneath
looks better so I will see if I can make it work. It is a heavy and tall
one, so it will be tricky. Looking for ideas.

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
orangetrader wrote:

Just got this mailbox and would appreciate some advise on how to
mount it on a post. I plan to buy a 4x4 pressure treated wood.
But I am scratching my head on how to mount this box to the
post.

The mailbox can be seen in this site:
http://www.canadianmailbox.com/catalogue/janzer.htm in the top
picture where you see the three white mailbox, the middle one -
model 117. It is made of heavy fluted aluminum. There is no
hole in the bottom of the box, so I need to figure out a way to
attach it to the top of the post.

One thought is to just drill several holes at the bottom
aluminum plate, and drill similar holes into the wood, and then
use heavy duty galvanized steel screws to screw the bottom to
the post? or are there some plates and angles I should use that
will do a better job?

From the size and shape of this one, it looks like it might be
more intended for *wall* mount??? That's not to say you can't
put it on a post, but I would definately consider putting the
top of the post *behind* it, not on the bottom edge. I would
do just as you planned, but through the back surface to one
side of the post (I'll bet that's where you'll find the pre-
drilled mounting holes?)

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Cliff Hartle

Screws in the end grain of a 4x4 post don't have much holding power. It
wouldn't take much of a push at the top of the box to pull out the screws.

You could screw a 12" length of maybe 1/2" threaded rod into the end of the
post and use a nut and a very large thick washer inside the box. The mesh
bottom shown in the lower picture may weaken the bottom and may make it hard
to mount it this way.

You could put it on top of the post but attach a piece of 1x4 to the back of
the post and mailbox.
I think this would give you the slim look you are looking for.

orangetrader wrote:

Just got this mailbox and would appreciate some advise on how to
mount it on a post. I plan to buy a 4x4 pressure treated wood.
But I am scratching my head on how to mount this box to the
post.

The mailbox can be seen in this site:
http://www.canadianmailbox.com/catalogue/janzer.htm in the top
picture where you see the three white mailbox, the middle one -
model 117. It is made of heavy fluted aluminum. There is no
hole in the bottom of the box, so I need to figure out a way to
attach it to the top of the post.

One thought is to just drill several holes at the bottom
aluminum plate, and drill similar holes into the wood, and then
use heavy duty galvanized steel screws to screw the bottom to
the post? or are there some plates and angles I should use that
will do a better job?

From the size and shape of this one, it looks like it might be
more intended for *wall* mount??? That's not to say you can't
put it on a post, but I would definately consider putting the
top of the post *behind* it, not on the bottom edge. I would
do just as you planned, but through the back surface to one
side of the post (I'll bet that's where you'll find the pre-
drilled mounting holes?)

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.

ameijers

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in message
Screws in the end grain of a 4x4 post don't have much holding power. It
wouldn't take much of a push at the top of the box to pull out the screws.

You could screw a 12" length of maybe 1/2" threaded rod into the end of

the
post and use a nut and a very large thick washer inside the box. The mesh
bottom shown in the lower picture may weaken the bottom and may make it

hard
to mount it this way.

You could put it on top of the post but attach a piece of 1x4 to the back

of
the post and mailbox.
I think this would give you the slim look you are looking for.

What he said. If you go with bottom mounting, make sure to bottom is strong
enough, and attached to the solid parts of the box well enough, that a
strong wind or obnoxious kid can't simply repeatedly flex or wack the box
hard enough to tear the base out of the box. If you want a strong but classy
looking mount, I'd find or fabricate an 'L' bracket to bolt the back of the
box to, with short leg of the L attached to the top of a boxed surround that
fits over the post, to keep the end grain dry. Farm supply stores usually
have a whole aisle of miscellaneous ironmongery for building or repair of
stock pens and barn doors, and may have something you can easily adapt. If
not, your local machine/blacksmith shop could probably knock it out pretty
cheaply.

aem sends....

I-zheet M'drurz

Cliff Hartle wrote:

Screws in the end grain of a 4x4 post don't have much holding
power. It wouldn't take much of a push at the top of the box to
pull out the screws.

Plus, I'm thinking there could be some structural issues here.
Was that (relatively) small square area at the bottom built to
handle the strain (just pure weight and wind) of supporting the
whole box stuck up in the open air like that? I would think
it's an invitation to come out some morning and find the entire
top blown off and the base plate still anchored to the post,
but again I can't see the construction quality from here.

You could screw a 12" length of maybe 1/2" threaded rod into the
end of the post and use a nut and a very large thick washer
inside the box. The mesh bottom shown in the lower picture may
weaken the bottom and may make it hard to mount it this way.

If OP insists on mounting it that way, I agree that there has to
be a stronger way. Maybe "build out" the top edge of the post
with some mitered 2x6 wolmanized pieces that would give a wider
base and a bit of a stronger nailing surface? That would make
the top edge of the 4x4 roughly a 7x7, and he wouldn't be
screwing into end grain if he stays out around the edges.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.
Trent©

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:34:34 -0400, "orangetrader"
wrote:

Yep it is intended for wall mount. But the larger model to it's left can be
both wall and post mount, so I decided to make it post mount.

I think I could put in a taller post and mount it like a wall mount and yes
there are 2 predrilled holes in the back. However I think a post underneath
looks better so I will see if I can make it work. It is a heavy and tall
one, so it will be tricky. Looking for ideas.

Build a 1x frame for it...mount the box to the frame...then mount the
frame to the 4x...at the height that you want.

The frame should be in the form of a tee. The long, vertical part of
the T will mount to the 4x. Make the vertical part about 4 inches or
so taller than the box...so that you can attach the top part of the T
to the 4x. In the same way, make the bottom of the vertical about 4
inches longer than the box...so that you can attach it at the bottom
to the 4x.

The perpendicular part that comes off the vertical part of the T is
where the box will sit. Attach it from the back part of the
tee...with some wood screws and some exterior wood glue. You might
even want to dado it. And you might even want to attach a decorative
wood or metal shelf bracket under that shelf piece.

Recapping...build the shelf/tee for the mailbox first..mount the
mailbox to the shelf/tee...then mount that shelf to the 4x.

Hope at least SOME of that made sense. lol

Have a nice one...

Trent

Red Neckerson

I'd mount it from behind.

(Always a good technique)

Greg

I'd mount it from behind.

(Always a good technique)

That's what Kobe says
orangetrader

Thanks! I was thinking if I can find something like a U shaped channel that
will allow me to put two bolts through the bottom of the box, then when
attached to the 4x4 (or 6x6) I will get a long bolt all the way through the
post and attach it to the sides of the U shape. May be on top of it get a
1x4 and attach it to the box on it's back as well as the 4x4 at the bottom.
I wonder if that will do the trick.

"ameijers" wrote in message

[...]

Stormin Mormon

Did you see the part about "floor grid provides air circulation"? Sounds
like the bottom is less strong. Might want a taller post, and mount it
through the back?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"orangetrader" wrote in message
Just got this mailbox and would appreciate some advise on how to mount it on
a post. I plan to buy a 4x4 pressure treated wood. But I am scratching my
head on how to mount this box to the post.

The mailbox can be seen in this site:
http://www.canadianmailbox.com/catalogue/janzer.htm in the top picture
where you see the three white mailbox, the middle one - model 117. It is
made of heavy fluted aluminum. There is no hole in the bottom of the box,
so I need to figure out a way to attach it to the top of the post.

One thought is to just drill several holes at the bottom aluminum plate, and
drill similar holes into the wood, and then use heavy duty galvanized steel
screws to screw the bottom to the post? or are there some plates and angles
I should use that will do a better job?

Thanks in advance,

orangetrader

The bottom is a 2mm aluminum plate welded to the four sides. There is a
metal grid about 1 quarter inch thick on top of it. I think the bottom
plate is strong enough though.