orangetrader

Thanks! I was thinking if I can find something like a U shaped channel that
will allow me to put two bolts through the bottom of the box, then when
attached to the 4x4 (or 6x6) I will get a long bolt all the way through the
post and attach it to the sides of the U shape. May be on top of it get a
1x4 and attach it to the box on it's back as well as the 4x4 at the bottom.
I wonder if that will do the trick.

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in message
Screws in the end grain of a 4x4 post don't have much holding power. It
wouldn't take much of a push at the top of the box to pull out the

screws.

You could screw a 12" length of maybe 1/2" threaded rod into the end of

the
post and use a nut and a very large thick washer inside the box. The

mesh
bottom shown in the lower picture may weaken the bottom and may make it

hard
to mount it this way.

You could put it on top of the post but attach a piece of 1x4 to the

back
of
the post and mailbox.
I think this would give you the slim look you are looking for.

What he said. If you go with bottom mounting, make sure to bottom is

strong
enough, and attached to the solid parts of the box well enough, that a
strong wind or obnoxious kid can't simply repeatedly flex or wack the box
hard enough to tear the base out of the box. If you want a strong but

classy
looking mount, I'd find or fabricate an 'L' bracket to bolt the back of

the
box to, with short leg of the L attached to the top of a boxed surround

that
fits over the post, to keep the end grain dry. Farm supply stores usually
have a whole aisle of miscellaneous ironmongery for building or repair of
stock pens and barn doors, and may have something you can easily adapt. If
not, your local machine/blacksmith shop could probably knock it out pretty

cheaply.

aem sends....