Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Old October 17th 09, 05:38 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

Default SIde Mount Garage Door Opener - Does One Exist? Can I use GenieStandard Mount?

Can I mount a Genie Garage Door Opener to open the door from one side
as opposed to directly from the middle? I have a pull down attic
stairway smack in the middle of where my garage door opens and I cant
mount a permanant opener fixture directly down the center.

Will mounting the opener on one side provide the ability for the door
to still open - it is a very lightweight single garage door and it
rolls on tracks via small wheels.

Optionally, is there a side mount garage door opener made by Genie or
other big companies?

Old October 17th 09, 05:57 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

Billy wrote:

Optionally, is there a side mount garage door opener made by Genie or
other big companies?

Yes, but it costs about 3x what a standard opener costs.

http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerwe...lJackshaft.htm
Old October 18th 09, 04:35 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Billy wrote:
Can I mount a Genie Garage Door Opener to open the door from one side
as opposed to directly from the middle? I have a pull down attic
stairway smack in the middle of where my garage door opens and I cant
mount a permanant opener fixture directly down the center.

Will mounting the opener on one side provide the ability for the door
to still open - it is a very lightweight single garage door and it
rolls on tracks via small wheels.

Optionally, is there a side mount garage door opener made by Genie or
other big companies?

How difficult would it be to relocate the attic stairs? Can you move
them off to the side a couple of feet?

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"Where large, expensive pieces of exotic woods are converted to valueless,
Old October 18th 09, 05:54 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 08:38:54 -0700 (PDT), Billy
wrote:

Can I mount a Genie Garage Door Opener to open the door from one side
as opposed to directly from the middle? I have a pull down attic
stairway smack in the middle of where my garage door opens and I cant
mount a permanant opener fixture directly down the center.

Will mounting the opener on one side provide the ability for the door
to still open - it is a very lightweight single garage door and it
rolls on tracks via small wheels.

Optionally, is there a side mount garage door opener made by Genie or
other big companies?

How far would you have to mount it off-center? ISTR it was possible
to mount them other than exactly in the center of the door.
Old October 18th 09, 07:45 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

krw wrote:

Can I mount a Genie Garage Door Opener to open the door from one
side as opposed to directly from the middle? I have a pull down
attic stairway smack in the middle of where my garage door opens
and I cant mount a permanant opener fixture directly down the
center.

Will mounting the opener on one side provide the ability for the
door to still open - it is a very lightweight single garage door
and it rolls on tracks via small wheels.

Optionally, is there a side mount garage door opener made by Genie
or other big companies?

How far would you have to mount it off-center? ISTR it was possible
to mount them other than exactly in the center of the door.

If your counterbalance spring is strong enough, you can probably do it.
Try to manually lift the door from the corner instead of the middle.
Can you do it with no strain? If so, it may be practicable; if not,
the door will bind and you'll have problems.

I once set up a single opener in the middle of a garage to raise 2
single doors together. I fabricated a "truss" of angle iron to tie the
doors together at the top. It worked fine. If your door is not
reinforced across the entire top, you may have to do something similar.

Old October 20th 09, 02:58 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , Billy wrote:
Can I mount a Genie Garage Door Opener to open the door from one side
as opposed to directly from the middle? I have a pull down attic
stairway smack in the middle of where my garage door opens and I cant
mount a permanant opener fixture directly down the center.

Will mounting the opener on one side provide the ability for the door
to still open - it is a very lightweight single garage door and it
rolls on tracks via small wheels.

Optionally, is there a side mount garage door opener made by Genie or
other big companies?

Rarrely have I ever opened a door manually dead center.
All you have to do is test it manually.

greg