Posted to misc.consumers.house
JRWeiss JRWeiss is offline

Default SIde Mount Garage Door Opener - Does One Exist? Can I use Genie Standard Mount?

krw wrote:

Can I mount a Genie Garage Door Opener to open the door from one
side as opposed to directly from the middle? I have a pull down
attic stairway smack in the middle of where my garage door opens
and I cant mount a permanant opener fixture directly down the
center.

Will mounting the opener on one side provide the ability for the
door to still open - it is a very lightweight single garage door
and it rolls on tracks via small wheels.

Optionally, is there a side mount garage door opener made by Genie
or other big companies?

How far would you have to mount it off-center? ISTR it was possible
to mount them other than exactly in the center of the door.

If your counterbalance spring is strong enough, you can probably do it.
Try to manually lift the door from the corner instead of the middle.
Can you do it with no strain? If so, it may be practicable; if not,
the door will bind and you'll have problems.

I once set up a single opener in the middle of a garage to raise 2
single doors together. I fabricated a "truss" of angle iron to tie the
doors together at the top. It worked fine. If your door is not
reinforced across the entire top, you may have to do something similar.