Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Mounting mailbox on a springy mount (like garage door spring)

Great idea! Kick the hornet's nest.

"Ignoramus1723" wrote in message
news
Some dumbass knocked over our mailbox. It was clearly due to
stupidity, the tracks on the snow show that it was done at slow speed,
the person driving the car left various pieces of his/her mirror, most
likely when he or she was maneuvering. The tracks show that the person
reversed direction shortly (6 ft) after hitting our mailbox. Whatever
damage was done to our mailbox, the damage to the car was 5x that.

I heard a suggestion somewhere to mount mailboxes on spring type
mounts, like garage door springs. The idea is that collisions like
this will only make mailboxes bounce and return to the original
position. I really like this idea, has anyone done something similar?