Joerg

Default Wall mount toilet blues

Hello All,

Here is the situation: Just took out an old wall mount toilet. Found a
new one at American Standard, the Glenwall series. It is painfully
expensive, almost $500 with tax. Ouch.

Anyway, the closet support fixture doesn't look quite right. The waste
horn is not centered on the line between the lower studs but about 1/2
inch offset towards the top. Also, the waste horn doesn't protrude the
usual 5/16th inch from the finished wall.

Is there any hope or is this pretty must a lost case? Replumbing for a
bottom discharge toilet would be extremely painful because of the tight
crawl space and difficulty to provide a new vent per code. Just to get
to that spot takes a half hour of contortion exercises. Back discharge
toilets as the Europeans have are nowhere to be found in the US.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Speedy Jim

Joerg wrote:

[...]

Check dimension sheets from other suppliers (maybe Kohler, Eljer).
There is nothing "standard" about American Standard.

Jim
Joerg

Hi Jim,

Check dimension sheets from other suppliers (maybe Kohler, Eljer).
There is nothing "standard" about American Standard.

I did. Neither of them make these toilets anymore. The one I took out
was a Kohler as far as I know but they dropped the line when that
dreaded 1.6 GPF rule came about. I did check Zurn and their brackets
look just like American Standard describes them. But then again, our
house was built in 1971 and who knows what has changed since then.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
willshak

Joerg wrote:

Hello All,

Here is the situation: Just took out an old wall mount toilet. Found a
new one at American Standard, the Glenwall series. It is painfully
expensive, almost $500 with tax. Ouch.

Anyway, the closet support fixture doesn't look quite right. The waste
horn is not centered on the line between the lower studs but about 1/2
inch offset towards the top. Also, the waste horn doesn't protrude the
usual 5/16th inch from the finished wall.

Is there any hope or is this pretty must a lost case? Replumbing for a
bottom discharge toilet would be extremely painful because of the
tight crawl space and difficulty to provide a new vent per code. Just
to get to that spot takes a half hour of contortion exercises. Back
discharge toilets as the Europeans have are nowhere to be found in the US.

It could be worse. My downstairs toilet's flange in in a concrete slab.
Would you like to trade ?

Joerg

Hi Will,

It could be worse. My downstairs toilet's flange in in a concrete
slab. Would you like to trade ?

Actually I would. These hanging toilets on 2x6 studded walls are a pain
because the wall isn't strong like concrete is. So you always have
creaking, sagging and so on.

I wish they never invented wall mounts. They don't make any sense except
maybe for floor cleaning. Plus they are near-extinct making them very
expensive.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

PrecisionMachinisT

"Joerg" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Will,

It could be worse. My downstairs toilet's flange in in a concrete
slab. Would you like to trade ?

Actually I would. These hanging toilets on 2x6 studded walls are a pain
because the wall isn't strong like concrete is. So you always have
creaking, sagging and so on.

I wish they never invented wall mounts. They don't make any sense except
maybe for floor cleaning. Plus they are near-extinct making them very
expensive.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Joerg,

Sorry I cant really help with the problem at hand, but I got wall mounted
toilets too, and it appears at some point in time one may have been removed
downstairs in what is now a utility room--if so, I would like to replace it
someday if possible.

Would appreciate if you or anyone else having info on the mounting details
for these could post here or email me some links.

Thanks,

--

SVL

Joerg

Hi,

Would appreciate if you or anyone else having info on the mounting details
for these could post here or email me some links.

It seems the only toilet that is wall mounted and tank operated is the
Glenwall:

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/P...asp?prodID=901

It costs about $465 or so via hardware stores, plus tax. You also need
the gasket. Before ordering make sure your mount is exactly as specified
which is where I discovered that ours probably isn't. The reason is that
you usually can't return this special order stuff without a substantial
restocking fee.

Also, according to the store these were out of stock for a long time so
there is a chance that you may not be able to buy one right when you
want to.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Speedy Jim

Joerg wrote:

Hi,

Would appreciate if you or anyone else having info on the mounting details
for these could post here or email me some links.

It seems the only toilet that is wall mounted and tank operated is the
Glenwall:

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/P...asp?prodID=901

It costs about $465 or so via hardware stores, plus tax. You also need
the gasket. Before ordering make sure your mount is exactly as specified
which is where I discovered that ours probably isn't. The reason is that
you usually can't return this special order stuff without a substantial
restocking fee.

Also, according to the store these were out of stock for a long time so
there is a chance that you may not be able to buy one right when you
want to.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

http://www.paulsupply.com/product.asp?intprod=3707

Special price: $373

I didn't find the dimension sheet for mounting though.
In the worst case, you might have to replace the carrier.

Jim
PrecisionMachinisT

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message ...
Joerg wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Thanks to both of you--I will look at the link tomorrow, its getting late
here.

One other thing though, I should be able run a sloan or zurn valve easily
from this location as it is right next to the second well pressure
tank--means Im not necessarily tied to a tank type flush system.

--

SVL

Joerg

Hi PrecisionMachinisT.

One other thing though, I should be able run a sloan or zurn valve easily
from this location as it is right next to the second well pressure
tank--means Im not necessarily tied to a tank type flush system.

In that case look at Toto. They have some that are tankless and a lot
lower in cost.