Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do people have garden gates?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 12:09:26 -0000, Meanie wrote:

On 11/25/2018 4:54 PM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 13:42:36 -0000, Meanie wrote:

On 11/24/2018 8:03 PM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 00:42:39 -0000, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:56:31 -0000, "Bruce Farquhar"
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

They clearly don't stop burglars
as you just hop over it or open it.
They put the gates there to make mental midgets go to usenet asking
stupid questions.

They really annoy people like postmen, opening and closing 1000 of them
a day.

How is that possible when you stated they can just hop over them?

Hopping over 1000 a day is asking for a sprained ankle when you get it
wrong.

Which is it, opening and closing 1000 of them a day or hopping over 1000
a day?

Opening and closing. The hopping was what you do if you're a burglar in a hurry or want to get past it quietly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 09:54:18 -0000, Muddymike wrote:

On 24/11/2018 22:38, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

Mine are to keep the dog safely on our property.

I see more gates than dogs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 03:06:18 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 01:36:37 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 21:46:47 -0000, "Bruce Farquhar"
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 01:44:55 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 01:06:11 -0000, "Bruce Farquhar"
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 01:03:20 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:02:04 -0000, Thomas
wrote:

They are pretty.
Locks only keep out the honest.

And petty theiving kids.

Not here. We do have gates with almost all pools
and even a gate doesn't stop the worst of them.

I was talking about locks, and on things that cannot be scaled, like a
front door to a house.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...c3ffcbfea4a0bd

That's the kid's problem. And their parents for not simply teaching
them to swim. Pools here don't generally have fences. Kids can
either swim or aren't stupid enough to go into a pool when they can't.

In most US states a fence or other barrier is required around pools.
There are plenty of rules about fence height, latch height, gates must
open out and be self latching.
If you have a compliant fence and a kid still gets in, you have a
pretty safe position if they try to sue you.

You lot really need to grow up and stop blaming each other for
everything. Someone falls in a pool, it's THEIR fault, nobody else's!
Are you all retards who can't look after yourselves?

Fine by me. Shakespeare was right, "kill all the lawyers"

they had them back then?

Yep, they have been around forever.
Even the romans had them.

I thought the Romans were more sensible than that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 03:02:28 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 23:03:15 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 01:08:46 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

They clearly don't stop burglars
as you just hop over it or open it.

They put the gates there to make mental
midgets go to usenet asking stupid questions.

He's right.

Me?

Yep.

I was astonished you called me right.

I didn't.

What other interpretation of
Rod: He's right.
Bruce: Me?
Rod: Yep.
could there be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 14:05:01 +1100, "87213" wrote:

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 23:15:43 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Likewise here, just laziness. There is a busy regular bus route
along
the road, at the end of my street. A good half mile of that is
occupied by large detached and semi- detached houses, these share a
long access road at the rear and a have large-ish rear gardens with
garages and parking built on them. Do they use the rear to park,
not
likely...

They park out front, usually in a continuous row of near 1/2 mile
of
parked vehicles, causing absolute chaos for traffic. Cars usually
manage to somehow get through, but buses really struggle. I have
even
regularly seen them incredibly park on both sides of the road,
making
it a real struggle for buses, sometimes impossible.

But do the planners try to accept that people like to park out
front?
No!

Put restrictions in place and enforce.

Not feasible. Visitors wouldn't be able to park.

A couple of citations might
make them think about parking round back

One side restrictions work well everywhere else in the world.

But clearly wouldn't with that street.

Why not??? Explain yourself.

Lots
of places both sides no parking.

So there would be nowhere for the visitors to park.

My visitors can park in my driveway. There is room for 4 vehicles. I
have 2. If I need more parking spaces for anevening I can arrange to
park one or more of my vehicles on a neighbour's driveway, or parkone
at a nearby school or church lot.

I live on a bus route - and next to a school that has numerous school
busses every morning, noon, and afternoon. No parking during school
bus times - either side,

It's high time schools and buses stopped taking priority over people who
live there.

There there would be nowhere for them to stop, stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

One side restrictions work well everywhere else in the world. Lots
of places both sides no parking. Here there is no overnight street
parking and no parking during school hours on either side. Zoning laws
equire 1 parking space behind the building line. (can be garage or
carport or open parking) and at least one spot in front. Before that
zoning came in effect some were too close to the street to park a car
on the property in the front - but back then most had "back alley"
access. No house newer than about 60 years has no on-site parking.

Parking tickets pretty quickly get more expensive than renting a spot
somewhere.

I would never buy a house where Hitler ran the streets.

He stopped running them before you were even spawned.

Do you still have your own free will?

Yep, he can kill himself anytime he likes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 02:13:32 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 00:13:18 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 23:29:42 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 26/11/2018 22:32, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 21:58:52 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 26/11/2018 01:09, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 00:44:51 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 26/11/2018 00:12, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 23:15:43 -0000, DerbyBorn

wrote:

[...]

I don't understand this parking at the back nonsense. Is this
council
estates we're talking about? They mostly seem to have been
built
before
the car was invented. They have stupid systems where everyone
parks in
the middle of a square of houses, but the front doors are on the
outside. So a postman walks round the outside to post through
the
letterboxes on the front doors, which are on a path. But if a
courier
wants to deliver something, he either has to run 200 yards round
the
outside of the block from where he parked, or go through their
private
back garden and knock on the back door, shocking the naked woman
who
just got out of the shower.

In civilised places like my street, you access the house from
the
front,
where the road is, where the front door with the letterbox is,
where the
driveway is. The back garden does not have an exit, it borders
onto the
back garden of the house in the next street, with a fence or
hedge
seperate them. Cars do not park on the road apart from
buses/taxis/postmen. Your own car lives in your drive or garage
where
it belongs.

Ours is somewhat like that, but my wife's car lives on the road
outside.
The driveway is only long enough for one car and access along the
side
of the house, while useable for my kit-car or trailer, is too
narrow
for
everyday use - involving inching though with mirrors folded!

We are lucky, many houses only have access 3' to 4' wide to the
back
garden. The houses were built in 1934/35 and cars weren't a
consideration.

I would never have bought a house like that. I like my cars on my
own
property. My drive holds 5, plus 1 in the garage (if I hadn't
converted
it). I've only ever owned up to 3 cars at once. Owning a car
without
space to put it is like buying a computer motherboard with no case
hold it in and just leaving it running on the floor.

If you want to live in the area, that's generally what you get
unless
you are very well off.

Then don't live in that area, it's obviously ****. It's akin to
buying
something very expensive from Harrods instead of going to Aldi.

As I've lived in the area all my life and my wife grew up here, it
makes
sense to stay in an area we are happy with, near friends and family.
It
makes life both nicer and easier - easy to drop round for a visit and
on-hand to help out when needed ... which works both ways. It is an
area
with easy motorway connections for working anywhere within a pretty
large area - hence not a cheap, run-down area.

I've never understood relatives wanting to stay where they are. My
family
have moved all over the country (form London to the Highlands).

To get away from you.

No, for a change.

Don't believe it.

My parents moved further north for the scenery, the quiet, and the
hillwalking.

That's the lie they told you to stop you bursting into tears again.

Why would you want to live in the same place all your life?

I havent.

There you go then, so you're not next to your rellos then.

Never said I was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 11:23:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 165 lines of the two abnormal idiots' endless idiotic drivel

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 11:12:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 164 lines of the two abnormal idiots' endless sick drivel

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 11:19:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

There there would be nowhere for them to stop, stupid.

Are you sure, senile idiot? Senilely sure again? BG

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 11:21:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

I would never buy a house where Hitler ran the streets.

He stopped running them before you were even spawned.

Do you still have your own free will?

Yep, he can kill himself anytime he likes.

What are you two prize idiots now driveling about again? LOL

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually I moved away from them, then they moved somewhere else when he retired.

Why would you want to live in the same place all your life?

I havent.

There you go then, so you're not next to your rellos then.

Never said I was.

But you seem to think it's normal to do so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Claire appears to have one of his descendants running her council.

Do you still have your own free will?

Yep, he can kill himself anytime he likes.

That's not complete free will. Nobody should be told what to do in their own street.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Buses are most annoying when they're stopped, they hold up traffic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 00:12:47 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 22:42:04 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 21:51:57 -0000, Steve Walker

wrote:

[...]

hedge to
[...]

The invention of the motor car allows visits when desired, and also
allows you to be away from them!

We can live perfectly separately 3/4 of a mile apart and not see each
other for weeks, but also be able to drop in while passing or phone up
half way through some work for a helping hand or to borrow a specific
tool that'd make it easier. When the children were younger, we could
decide to go out shopping, phone to see if it was convenient and drop
them off within a few minutes, rather than dragging them around with us
when they didn't want to be there. My parents can be round with a few
minutes notice if I am already at work and my wife is not well enough
that morning to get the youngest to school - she has a chronic illness
that severely limits her at times.

Family and friends provide a support network and you provide supposrt
for them. Why would you want to throw that away by living further away?

It depends how you get on with your relatives. Some people want to be
sure they won't just turn up!

Yeah, that's why yours ****ed off and your parents paid
the deposit on the hovel a long way from them.

Not exactly.

Fraid so.

They were quite happy to wait a few years until I got a promotion to buy a larger house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

They clearly don't stop burglars
as you just hop over it or open it.

They put the gates there to make mental
midgets go to usenet asking stupid questions.

He's right.

Me?

Yep.

I was astonished you called me right.

I didn't.

What other interpretation of
Rod: He's right.
Bruce: Me?
Rod: Yep.
could there be?

That what he said about mental midgets like you is right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They kicked you out in fact.

then they moved somewhere else when he retired.

To get even further away from you.

Why would you want to live in the same place all your life?

I havent.

There you go then, so you're not next to your rellos then.

Never said I was.

But you seem to think it's normal to do so.

Never ever said anything even remotely like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They don't have councils there. And it's a he, not a she.

Do you still have your own free will?

Yep, he can kill himself anytime he likes.

That's not complete free will. Nobody should be told what to do in their
own street.

Can be a problem when they want to murder the neighbours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 11:54:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another load of sick troll****

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not when there is a bus stop for them to stop in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 11:59:14 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 199 lines of stinking troll **** unread

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They didn't have the balls to kick you out and have
their friends tell them what arseholes they were.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 12:09:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH 196 lines of absolutely idiotic troll**** unread again

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 12:01:21 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Can be a problem when they want to murder the neighbours.

Your psychosis out of control again, poor senile idiot? G

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 12:02:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Not when there is a bus stop for them to stop in.

Not necessarily, senile Rot!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.