DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Why do people have garden gates? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/625629-why-do-people-have-garden-gates.html)

Bruce Farquhar November 24th 18 10:38 PM

Why do people have garden gates?

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop over it or open it.

The Other John[_4_] November 24th 18 10:45 PM

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:38:07 +0000, Bruce Farquhar wrote:

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

To indicate that your property is not a public right of way?

--
TOJ.

Rod Speed November 24th 18 10:47 PM

Why do people have garden gates?

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal. Some keep the dog in.

Peeler[_2_] November 24th 18 10:50 PM

CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:38:07 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson",
"Steven ******", etc.), the pathological resident idiot and attention whore
of all the uk ngs, blathered again:

FLUSH the abnormal sociopathic attention whore's latest idiotic
attention-baiting bull**** unread again

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

Thomas November 24th 18 11:02 PM

Why do people have garden gates?

They are pretty.
Locks only keep out the honest.

Peeler[_2_] November 24th 18 11:03 PM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:45:41 +0000 (UTC), The Other John, another
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

To indicate that your property is not a public right of way?

And troll-feeding senile idiot no.1 appeared to swallow the abnormal
Scottish attention whore's latest idiotic bait, hook, line and sinker! LOL

Peeler[_2_] November 24th 18 11:04 PM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 09:47:57 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Some are that anal. Some keep the dog in.

And troll-feeding senile idiot no.2 couldn't resist sucking the unwashed
Scottish ****** off quickly again! LOL

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Peeler[_2_] November 24th 18 11:25 PM

Troll-feeding Senile Yankietard Alert!

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 15:02:04 -0800 (PST), Thomas, yet another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile Yankietard, blathered:

They are pretty.
Locks only keep out the honest.

....and troll-feeding senile idiot no.3 arrived to swallow the abnormal
Scottish attention whore's latest idiotic bait, hook, line and sinker! BG

Bruce Farquhar November 24th 18 11:54 PM

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:45:41 -0000, The Other John wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:38:07 +0000, Bruce Farquhar wrote:

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

To indicate that your property is not a public right of way?

But the only way you can go is to the front door. I'm talking about a normal house with a garden, not a huge mansion or farm estate.

alan_m November 24th 18 11:54 PM

On 24/11/2018 22:38, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open.* They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

They stop rubbish blowing in.

It discourages dog owners from letting their pets in for toileting purposes.

It can discourage vehicle doing a 3 point turn from using your front
garden driveway as extra road space.

Bruce Farquhar November 24th 18 11:56 PM

Why do people have garden gates?

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

Bruce Farquhar November 24th 18 11:59 PM

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:02:04 -0000, Thomas wrote:

They are pretty.
Locks only keep out the honest.

And petty theiving kids.

Bruce Farquhar November 25th 18 12:01 AM

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:54:32 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 24/11/2018 22:38, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

They stop rubbish blowing in.

On a council estate I guess so. We don't tend to have rubbish lying about here.

It discourages dog owners from letting their pets in for toileting purposes.

I've never seen anyone do that. Although I do see them allowing their dog to **** on the (outside) of someone's fence or hedge. I always tell them they're disgusting. People seem to think that dog **** is ok, and only **** is dirty. When I ask them if they would mind if I ****ed in their garden, they often get very angry.

It can discourage vehicle doing a 3 point turn from using your front
garden driveway as extra road space.

If the road was a decent width, that wouldn't be needed either. And if the road is narrow and I can't do a 3 point turn on it, and there's a gate in the way, I'd nudge it.

Peeler[_2_] November 25th 18 12:20 AM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:54:32 +0000, nal_m, the absolutely braindead,
notorious, troll-feeding, senile idiot, driveled again:

They stop rubbish blowing in.

If you'd ONLY stop blowing him, anal_m!

[email protected] November 25th 18 12:20 AM

wrote:

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop over it or open it.

In the US jumping over a fence goes a long way towards justifying
being shot. (at least in the red states)

Peeler[_2_] November 25th 18 12:37 AM

Troll-feeding Senile Yankietard Alert!

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 19:20:20 -0500, , the disgusting,
troll-feeding senile Yankietard, blathered again:

Wow! SO many senile idiots lining up to suck off the Scottish ******! The
****** must be all sore by now! LOL

Clare Snyder November 25th 18 12:42 AM

Why do people have garden gates?

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:56:31 -0000, "Bruce Farquhar"
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

They clearly don't stop burglars
as you just hop over it or open it.

They put the gates there to make mental midgets go to usenet asking
stupid questions.

Bruce Farquhar November 25th 18 12:58 AM

wrote:

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop over it or open it.

In the US jumping over a fence goes a long way towards justifying
being shot. (at least in the red states)

But just opening it to walk through, you could be just going to the front door. So the gate achieved nothing.

Bruce Farquhar November 25th 18 12:58 AM

wrote:

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop over it or open it.

In the US jumping over a fence goes a long way towards justifying
being shot. (at least in the red states)

Do pigs get shot if they approach a house? A pig is a policeman incase that doesn't translate in American.

Rod Speed November 25th 18 12:59 AM

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

Not here. Few front gates here.

Bruce Farquhar November 25th 18 01:03 AM

wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

They clearly don't stop burglars
as you just hop over it or open it.

They put the gates there to make mental midgets go to usenet asking
stupid questions.

They really annoy people like postmen, opening and closing 1000 of them a day.

Rod Speed November 25th 18 01:03 AM

Why do people have garden gates?

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:02:04 -0000, Thomas wrote:

They are pretty.
Locks only keep out the honest.

And petty theiving kids.

Not here. We do have gates with almost all pools
and even a gate doesn't stop the worst of them.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...c3ffcbfea4a0bd

Bruce Farquhar November 25th 18 01:04 AM

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 00:59:24 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

Not here. Few front gates here.

Aussies are a bit more down to earth if that's the right phrase.

Bruce Farquhar November 25th 18 01:06 AM

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 01:03:20 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:02:04 -0000, Thomas wrote:

They are pretty.
Locks only keep out the honest.

And petty theiving kids.

Not here. We do have gates with almost all pools
and even a gate doesn't stop the worst of them.

I was talking about locks, and on things that cannot be scaled, like a front door to a house.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...c3ffcbfea4a0bd

That's the kid's problem. And their parents for not simply teaching them to swim. Pools here don't generally have fences. Kids can either swim or aren't stupid enough to go into a pool when they can't.

Ed Pawlowski November 25th 18 01:06 AM

On 11/24/2018 5:38 PM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open.* They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

Two reasons. Decorative and keep dogs out.

Rod Speed November 25th 18 01:08 AM

wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

They clearly don't stop burglars
as you just hop over it or open it.

They put the gates there to make mental
midgets go to usenet asking stupid questions.

He's right.

Rod Speed November 25th 18 01:11 AM

wrote:

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

In the US jumping over a fence goes a long way towards justifying
being shot. (at least in the red states)

But just opening it to walk through, you could be just going to the front
door.

Few yanks are such desperate povs/chavs that the only place
you can get to thru the gate is the front door, even in trailer parks.

So the gate achieved nothing.

It clearly does if they jump over it.

Rod Speed November 25th 18 01:12 AM

wrote:

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

In the US jumping over a fence goes a long way towards justifying
being shot. (at least in the red states)

Do pigs get shot if they approach a house?

Only in Waco Texas and Ruby Ridge etc.

A pig is a policeman incase that doesn't translate in American.

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] November 25th 18 01:20 AM

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 20:06:41 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/24/2018 5:38 PM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open.* They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

Two reasons. Decorative and keep dogs out.

Wrong on all counts.

To keep the householder secure. Mentally that is, not in any other way
because in the UK just about everyone and his dog [and cat] has a
right to wander around a chaps property.

AB

Rod Speed November 25th 18 01:20 AM

wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

They clearly don't stop burglars
as you just hop over it or open it.

They put the gates there to make mental midgets go to usenet asking
stupid questions.

They really annoy people like postmen, opening and closing 1000 of them a
day.

None of ours do. They zoom up on their motorbikes and stuff
the letters into the letterbox which is never inside the gate.
http://www.skillsone.com.au/vidgallery/the-posties-run/
watch at 3:30

Rod Speed November 25th 18 01:25 AM

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

Not here. Few front gates here.

Aussies are a bit more down to earth if that's the right phrase.

No it isnt.

S Viemeister[_2_] November 25th 18 01:27 AM

On 11/24/2018 8:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/24/2018 5:38 PM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open.* They clearly don't stop burglars as you just
hop over it or open it.

Two reasons.* Decorative and keep dogs out.

Mine is required by the feu charter, to keep out cattle and sheep.
Doesn't keep out the deer, though...

Rod Speed November 25th 18 01:38 AM

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:02:04 -0000, Thomas wrote:

They are pretty.
Locks only keep out the honest.

And petty theiving kids.

Not here. We do have gates with almost all pools
and even a gate doesn't stop the worst of them.

I was talking about locks,

That one is locked. All pool fence gates have to be.

and on things that cannot be scaled,

That little monkey shows that they all can be.

like a front door to a house.

Bet that wont stop that one when get gets older.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...c3ffcbfea4a0bd

That's the kid's problem.

No problem for him.

And their parents for not simply teaching them to swim.

No point in his case, there was no pool yet.

Pools here don't generally have fences.

Only because there are **** all pools there.

Fly into Sydney, you will see that most have them here.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33..../data=!3m1!1e3

Kids can either swim or aren't stupid enough to go into a pool when they
can't.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something.

[email protected] November 25th 18 01:42 AM

Why do people have garden gates?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 12:03:20 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:02:04 -0000, Thomas wrote:

They are pretty.
Locks only keep out the honest.

And petty theiving kids.

Not here. We do have gates with almost all pools
and even a gate doesn't stop the worst of them.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...c3ffcbfea4a0bd

If the kid is that smart, they should have taught him to swim by now.

[email protected] November 25th 18 01:44 AM

Why do people have garden gates?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 01:06:11 -0000, "Bruce Farquhar"
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 01:03:20 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:02:04 -0000, Thomas wrote:

They are pretty.
Locks only keep out the honest.

And petty theiving kids.

Not here. We do have gates with almost all pools
and even a gate doesn't stop the worst of them.

I was talking about locks, and on things that cannot be scaled, like a front door to a house.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...c3ffcbfea4a0bd

That's the kid's problem. And their parents for not simply teaching them to swim. Pools here don't generally have fences. Kids can either swim or aren't stupid enough to go into a pool when they can't.

In most US states a fence or other barrier is required around pools.
There are plenty of rules about fence height, latch height, gates must
open out and be self latching.
If you have a compliant fence and a kid still gets in, you have a
pretty safe position if they try to sue you.

[email protected] November 25th 18 01:47 AM

Why do people have garden gates?

wrote:

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high ones
that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just hop
over it or open it.

In the US jumping over a fence goes a long way towards justifying
being shot. (at least in the red states)

Do pigs get shot if they approach a house?

Only in Waco Texas and Ruby Ridge etc.

Cleveland, LA. the list goes on.
The result is still the same. The cops kill as many as they can,
sometimes everyone inside.

soup[_9_] November 25th 18 01:51 AM

********.

From :-A government website, about as definitive as it gets

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open...-right-to-roam

" Excepted land

On access land some areas remain private (€˜excepted land). You
dont
have the right to access these areas, even if they appear on a map of
open access land.

Excepted land includes:

houses, buildings and the land theyre on (such as courtyards)
land used to grow crops
building sites and land thats being developed
parks and gardens
golf courses and racecourses
railways and tramways
working quarries "

Rod Speed November 25th 18 02:47 AM

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:02:04 -0000, Thomas wrote:

They are pretty.
Locks only keep out the honest.

And petty theiving kids.

Not here. We do have gates with almost all pools
and even a gate doesn't stop the worst of them.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...c3ffcbfea4a0bd

If the kid is that smart, they should have taught him to swim by now.

They decided it was too risky and decided to not have the pool till he is
older.

One hell of a stink on facebook when she first posted the video.

From :-A government website, about as definitive as it gets

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open...-right-to-roam

" Excepted land

On access land some areas remain private (‘excepted land’). You
don’t
have the right to access these areas, even if they appear on a map of
open access land.

Excepted land includes:

houses, buildings and the land they’re on (such as courtyards)
land used to grow crops
building sites and land that’s being developed
parks and gardens
golf courses and racecourses
railways and tramways
working quarries "

There is a subtle difference in your definition of access.

To roam is to enter a property without purpose, this is not a right.

To wander is different inasmuch a meter reader who is one of those
that will be allowed access can wander from room to room looking for a
meter.

AB

Brian Gaff November 25th 18 09:20 AM

Why do people have garden gates?

Actually I'd like to make all people have fences and gates. Down my street
so many people have made their front gardens into car parks that trying to
do as i used to just a few short years ago, shoreline a fence line to get to
the post box or the shops is now an obstacle course of wide open spaces,
cars that overhang the premises and stupidly placed wheelie bins. Its like a
nightmare for the blind. Now if the front was the only place to put a car,
I'd say fine, just put a little raised strip along the boundary, but no, all
the houses in my street have gardens and roads at the rear, most of the
gardens being over 100 ft long. Plenty of room for a car or two. Its
laziness. I call it the Thunderbirds solution. I'd imagine if they could
just step into an alcove and slide down into the driving seat than that
would be what they would install.
Bah Humbug.
Brian

--