Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Bruce Farquhar Bruce Farquhar is offline

Default Why do people have garden gates?

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 00:12:47 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 22:42:04 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 21:51:57 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 26/11/2018 23:44, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 23:29:42 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 26/11/2018 22:32, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 21:58:52 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 26/11/2018 01:09, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 00:44:51 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 26/11/2018 00:12, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 23:15:43 -0000, DerbyBorn

wrote:

Likewise here, just laziness. There is a busy regular bus
route
along
the road, at the end of my street. A good half mile of that is
occupied by large detached and semi- detached houses, these
share a
long access road at the rear and a have large-ish rear gardens
with
garages and parking built on them. Do they use the rear to
park, not
likely...

They park out front, usually in a continuous row of near 1/2
mile of
parked vehicles, causing absolute chaos for traffic. Cars
usually
manage to somehow get through, but buses really struggle. I
have
even
regularly seen them incredibly park on both sides of the road,
making
it a real struggle for buses, sometimes impossible.

But do the planners try to accept that people like to park out
front? No!

I don't understand this parking at the back nonsense. Is this
council
estates we're talking about? They mostly seem to have been
built
before
the car was invented. They have stupid systems where everyone
parks in
the middle of a square of houses, but the front doors are on the
outside. So a postman walks round the outside to post through
the
letterboxes on the front doors, which are on a path. But if a
courier
wants to deliver something, he either has to run 200 yards round
the
outside of the block from where he parked, or go through their
private
back garden and knock on the back door, shocking the naked woman
who
just got out of the shower.

In civilised places like my street, you access the house from
the
front,
where the road is, where the front door with the letterbox is,
where the
driveway is. The back garden does not have an exit, it borders
onto the
back garden of the house in the next street, with a fence or
hedge to
seperate them. Cars do not park on the road apart from
buses/taxis/postmen. Your own car lives in your drive or garage
where
it belongs.

Ours is somewhat like that, but my wife's car lives on the road
outside.
The driveway is only long enough for one car and access along the
side
of the house, while useable for my kit-car or trailer, is too
narrow
for
everyday use - involving inching though with mirrors folded!

We are lucky, many houses only have access 3' to 4' wide to the
back
garden. The houses were built in 1934/35 and cars weren't a
consideration.

I would never have bought a house like that. I like my cars on my
own
property. My drive holds 5, plus 1 in the garage (if I hadn't
converted
it). I've only ever owned up to 3 cars at once. Owning a car
without
space to put it is like buying a computer motherboard with no case
hold it in and just leaving it running on the floor.

If you want to live in the area, that's generally what you get
unless
you are very well off.

Then don't live in that area, it's obviously ****. It's akin to
buying
something very expensive from Harrods instead of going to Aldi.

As I've lived in the area all my life and my wife grew up here, it
makes
sense to stay in an area we are happy with, near friends and family.
It
makes life both nicer and easier - easy to drop round for a visit and
on-hand to help out when needed ... which works both ways. It is an
area
with easy motorway connections for working anywhere within a pretty
large area - hence not a cheap, run-down area.

I've never understood relatives wanting to stay where they are. My
family have moved all over the country (form London to the Highlands).
The invention of the motor car allows visits when desired, and also
allows you to be away from them!

We can live perfectly separately 3/4 of a mile apart and not see each
other for weeks, but also be able to drop in while passing or phone up
half way through some work for a helping hand or to borrow a specific
tool that'd make it easier. When the children were younger, we could
decide to go out shopping, phone to see if it was convenient and drop
them off within a few minutes, rather than dragging them around with us
when they didn't want to be there. My parents can be round with a few
minutes notice if I am already at work and my wife is not well enough
that morning to get the youngest to school - she has a chronic illness
that severely limits her at times.

Family and friends provide a support network and you provide supposrt
for them. Why would you want to throw that away by living further away?

It depends how you get on with your relatives. Some people want to be
sure they won't just turn up!

Yeah, that's why yours ****ed off and your parents paid
the deposit on the hovel a long way from them.

Not exactly.

Fraid so.

They were quite happy to wait a few years until I got a promotion to buy a larger house.