Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden gates - any recommendations?

I need to replace a tall wooden garden gate that destroyed itself in
the high winds last week.

It would be lovely to put in a proper oak gate, but may be too
pricey.. has anyone done this recently and can recommend a source?

I'm looking for an arch top ledge and brace one, about 3ft 6" wide

Simon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bitstreams wrote:

I need to replace a tall wooden garden gate that destroyed itself in
the high winds last week.

It would be lovely to put in a proper oak gate, but may be too
pricey.. has anyone done this recently and can recommend a source?

I'm looking for an arch top ledge and brace one, about 3ft 6" wide

No idea about that width, but for 8 feet wide gates, there is an ebay
seller 'http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Barwell-Gates' that we found to be
quite cheap, and good quality.
It helped that he is only 10 miles from us - unless you see the gates
first, it is difficult to tell what grade steel has been used - you dont
really want a gate that wobbles in the wind, even if it only cost £50.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 08:31:54 +0000, A.Lee wrote:

I need to replace a tall wooden garden gate that destroyed itself in
the high winds last week.

It helped that he is only 10 miles from us - unless you see the gates
first, it is difficult to tell what grade steel has been used - you dont
really want a gate that wobbles in the wind, even if it only cost £50.

Steel? The OP wants timber... His best bet is probably to look in the
yellow pages for suitable companies, go a for a timber yard that also
makes farm gates rather than a garden center type place.

In my half-asleep stupor this morning, I read it, wrongly, as he does
not want to pay for new wooden gates.
Oh well, should go to bed earlier!
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
I need to replace a tall wooden garden gate that destroyed itself in
the high winds last week.

It would be lovely to put in a proper oak gate, but may be too
pricey.. has anyone done this recently and can recommend a source?

When I did my garden, about 10 years ago now, I found that oak was not
significantly dearer than pressure impregnated softwood. However, I don't
know anyone who makes gates in oak as a standard product. I would try a
local joinery company.

I'm looking for an arch top ledge and brace one, about 3ft 6" wide

If you look for a ledged, braced and framed gate, it should be better at
surviving high winds.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bitstreams wrote:
I need to replace a tall wooden garden gate that destroyed itself in
the high winds last week.

It would be lovely to put in a proper oak gate, but may be too
pricey.. has anyone done this recently and can recommend a source?

I'm looking for an arch top ledge and brace one, about 3ft 6" wide

Very easy to make DIY. Buy some timber & knock one up yourself.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 18:51, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Bitstreams wrote:
I need to replace a tall wooden garden gate that destroyed itself in
the high winds last week.

It would be lovely to put in a proper oak gate, but may be too
pricey.. has anyone done this recently and can recommend a source?

I'm looking for an arch top ledge and brace one, about 3ft 6" wide

Very easy to make DIY. *Buy some timber & knock one up yourself.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Yes, I've done that before - but although it worked well enough it
wasn't

a) very pretty

b) light - in fact it was very heavy

I've seen some beautiful Oak double gates and low gates online but
nothing as yet that suits.

Simon

Garden Gates diy-newby UK diy 20 November 19th 07 10:07 AM
Garden Shredders - one line recommendations please. Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬) UK diy 10 April 17th 07 12:24 AM
Fence and gates Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 4 September 28th 06 06:41 PM
WTB: Garden Vac's/schredders - recommendations please Ian Cornish UK diy 4 September 3rd 05 09:07 PM
gates dave UK diy 4 April 12th 05 09:56 PM