Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden Shredders - one line recommendations please.

As subject,
A simple make/model - excellent or always jamming etc. would be good.

Our local CostCo have a bosch 2200W one for £211

TIA
Pete
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
http://trade-price-supplements.co.uk - Bulk Order Supps. at Trade Prices
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
As subject,
A simple make/model - excellent or always jamming etc. would be good.

Our local CostCo have a bosch 2200W one for £211

I have the older 2kW Bosch "quiet" shredder, which is not bad if you
feed it stuff it likes. Woody branches it swallows with ease, but it is
not as keen on the lush green stuff. The solution is to leave the stuff
cut for a couple of days to dry out a bit first.

The later design uses a pair of meshed cogs to do the shredding in place
of the worm screw on my one. These may be more resistant to clogging on
the green stuff.

The fact that they are self feeding makes them massively easier to use
that the noisy impact type.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

John Rumm wrote:
I have the older 2kW Bosch "quiet" shredder

The best bit of advice I ever read on uk.d-i-y was to get a Bosch quiet
shredder.

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LSR wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
I have the older 2kW Bosch "quiet" shredder

The best bit of advice I ever read on uk.d-i-y was to get a Bosch quiet
shredder.

I guess that'd be the one I have seen then.
It does have the cogs and has a max. branch thickness of 35mm whereas
the next one up has a 40mm capacity but they don't have that one.

Just gotta check the price and get me one then.

Our old and very wild weeping willow was taken right back to 3 main
branches so I have 3 large piles of small leafy stick to get rid of.

Cheers
Pete

http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
http://trade-price-supplements.co.uk - Bulk Order Supps. at Trade Prices
Posted to uk.d-i-y

LSR wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
I have the older 2kW Bosch "quiet" shredder

The best bit of advice I ever read on uk.d-i-y was to get a Bosch quiet
shredder.

Looking on-line the average price seems to be around £250 so at £211
it's a pretty good price too.

I'll be picking one up on the way home.

Thanks both for recommendation.

http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
http://trade-price-supplements.co.uk - Bulk Order Supps. at Trade Prices

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
As subject,
A simple make/model - excellent or always jamming etc. would be good.
Our local CostCo have a bosch 2200W one for £211

I have the older 2kW Bosch "quiet" shredder, which is not bad if you
feed it stuff it likes. Woody branches it swallows with ease, but it is
not as keen on the lush green stuff. The solution is to leave the stuff
cut for a couple of days to dry out a bit first.

The later design uses a pair of meshed cogs to do the shredding in
place of the worm screw on my one. These may be more resistant to
clogging on the green stuff.

They have both spiral cutting and drum cutting shredders in the 'Quiet '
range, the 2200W is the drum cutting one, the 2000W the spiral cutter.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
As subject,
A simple make/model - excellent or always jamming etc. would be good.

Our local CostCo have a bosch 2200W one for £211

My mates hire business has given up on shredders in general as being too
much agro.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

My mates hire business has given up on shredders in general as being too
much agro.

Surely thast's more to do with people chucking any old logs in as it's
not their machine to worry about if it breaks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

My mates hire business has given up on shredders in general as being too
much agro.

Agro in what sense? too many getting broken etc?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

My mates hire business has given up on shredders in general as being
too much agro.

Agro in what sense? too many getting broken etc?

Yup. That's about it. They have tried many makes & they all seem to break
down/get broken far too often. Repair costs exceeded hire revenue.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Agro in what sense? too many getting broken etc?

Yup. That's about it. They have tried many makes & they all seem to break
down/get broken far too often. Repair costs exceeded hire revenue.

That would be like when I lent my one to a mate and he accidentally
tried shredding a lump of angle iron then ;-)

(still he did buy me a nice new helix for it, even though the five
conifers I had stuck through it previously had already taken the edge
off it a bit!)

--
Cheers,

John.