Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Improved security for shredders

If you want even greater security for material you shred, I suggest two
ideas.

#1 Always mix the material in the shredder and empty part of it into
the trash, leaving maybe a third.

This will mean that unless someone gets your trash ever week, they are
not likely to get a full document. I imagine that would be very
frustrating. :-)

#2 Got a cat or dog? Add the you know what to the trash back with the
shred. It would discourage me.

I do follow my first suggestion. Not that I really think I need to
worry, but I do get a little smile thinking of the possibility of some
homeland security team working weeks trying to figure out what is going on.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

cross cut shredders are muc more expensive, chop everything into little
squares that would take days to reassemble.

i have a wealthy friend he shreds them then burns them. kinda overkill
if you ask me.

I think for most of us security issues are overblown, true it could
create a BIG hassle but wouldnt long term be anything more than that

Posted to alt.home.repair
Searcher

We burn all of our documents, not very hard to go out to the garden and sit
around a nice relaxing evidence burn, errr, I mean document burn!!

searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill

Searcher wrote:
We burn all of our documents, not very hard to go out to the garden and sit
around a nice relaxing evidence burn, errr, I mean document burn!!

searcher

Well, that may be ok sometimes. Here in Oklahoma this
last week end they finally lifted the burn ban that has
been in effect since November. Kind of hard to burn
your papers when you aren't allowed a fire of any kind
(including outdoor barbecues).

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber

On 25 Mar 2006 05:30:10 -0800, "
wrote:

cross cut shredders are muc more expensive, chop everything into little
squares that would take days to reassemble.

Remember the Iranian "Students" who kidnapped the US Embassy Staff and
held them hostage in about 1979? They actually raided the embassy
shredders (not cross-cut) and reconstructed what they said were CIA
documents by pasting the strips together.

Expensive? I have a cross cut shredder that I bought at Target two
years ago for $17. It still works...

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

#2 Got a cat or dog? Add the you know what to the trash back with the
shred. It would discourage me.

I do follow my first suggestion. Not that I really think I need to
worry, but I do get a little smile thinking of the possibility of some
homeland security team working weeks trying to figure out what is going on.

I've heard people say, add it to your compost heap, well mixed in.
This way the worms will eat it, and effectivly the material is
completely distroyed.

Unless the worms talk?

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair
Elliott P

You ALL should read this article:

http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/cred...lication.shtml

It's about a guy who ripped up a credit card application that came in
the mail, taped it up, sent it out and GOT THE CARD!! He even changed
the address and phone number on the application and got it! It makes me
want to by a cross cut.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Bill Gill wrote:
Searcher wrote:

We burn all of our documents, not very hard to go out to the garden
and sit around a nice relaxing evidence burn, errr, I mean document
burn!!

searcher

Well, that may be ok sometimes. Here in Oklahoma this last week end
they finally lifted the burn ban that has been in effect since
November. Kind of hard to burn your papers when you aren't allowed a
fire of any kind (including outdoor barbecues).

Bill Gill

We have a cross-cut shredder, which cost less than $100 if I remember.
For special documents, I put them through the shredder and then the
kitchen sink with some hot water. Soak few minutes, run disposal. I
dare anyone to find them )
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is another thread in this group that is discussing ways to
dispose of old paint. Might I suggest that one pour it in among a large
group of shreddings to dry out before trashing, take care of two
problems at once.-Jitney

Posted to alt.home.repair

what you do is crosscut shred everything twice, then burn it. take the
ashes and mix with water and blend in a blender, then place blended mix
in garbage disposal, ands be sure to flush toilet with you knowq what

Really theres so many ways to get info on you, paper is obsolete.

Use a wireless connection for your computer? Have good spyware on your
computer, how about ALL the companies you deal with? Leaks can occur
anywhere. A nosey bank custodian. How about the mail system.

Sure be careful with paperwork but the REAL leaks are high tech and out
of your control

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 25 Mar 2006 05:30:10 -0800, "
wrote:

cross cut shredders are muc more expensive, chop everything into little
squares that would take days to reassemble.

i have a wealthy friend he shreds them then burns them. kinda overkill
if you ask me.

I was thinking I would burn them and then shred them.

I think for most of us security issues are overblown, true it could
create a BIG hassle but wouldnt long term be anything more than that

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:58:19 -0500, mm
wrote:

| On 25 Mar 2006 05:30:10 -0800, "
| wrote:
|
| cross cut shredders are muc more expensive, chop everything into little
| squares that would take days to reassemble.
|
| i have a wealthy friend he shreds them then burns them. kinda overkill
| if you ask me.
|
| I was thinking I would burn them and then shred them.

I burn them, shred them, put them through my wood chipper, and then
beat them with a shovel. Then I move to a different country and change
my name. Works every time.

| I think for most of us security issues are overblown, true it could
| create a BIG hassle but wouldnt long term be anything more than that

Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik

#2 Got a cat or dog? Add the you know what to the trash back with the
shred. It would discourage me.

I do follow my first suggestion. Not that I really think I need to
worry, but I do get a little smile thinking of the possibility of some
homeland security team working weeks trying to figure out what is going on.

A couple of things I do...

1) I dump shredded documents straight into the garbage without a bag...
that way someone can't easily just grab a bag and run.

2) I always dump them just before the trash truck comes. Not fool proof,
but adds a couple of easy, effective free toughening protection layers.

3) I have a pair of 10" long sheet metal snips I keep in my desk to chop
up old back up CD's, credit card's and the like. Cutting stuff like that
is easy with them. BTW, a 'safer' cleaner way bust a CD in a pinch is to
put it in the middle of a magazine, or newspaper section before flexing
and snapping.

I actually caught some of my competition going through my trash late one
night.

Those drive up post office mail boxes I think are dangerous too. They
get full and the mail backs up the chute to where anyone can grab it. If
your in a low car, you often can't even see if the mail is backing up.
I've seen mail literally hanging out these boxes, and people there
trying to jam in more... amazing.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:38:10 GMT, "Pop"
wrote:

Not necessary here. Strip shred it, pull the trash bags, burn
with the rest of the trash. If someone wants to steal it and
piece together my last electric bill, they should have asked me!
I have nothing to hide and know how to prevent identity theft.
Not that I have anything to thieve. Or hide.

I'm sure that is true of you, but I like the story from a few years
ago.

A man was doing something bad, stealing from the company or something.

Some woman would take his trash bags, leaving dummy trash bags of the
same brand in their place. Then she would go home and glue the strips
to a backing until she found out what they said, and I forget what he
was doing but he got caught for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On 25 Mar 2006 16:05:35 -0800, "
wrote:

what you do is crosscut shred everything twice, then burn it. take the
ashes and mix with water and blend in a blender, then place blended mix
in garbage disposal, ands be sure to flush toilet with you knowq what

Really theres so many ways to get info on you, paper is obsolete.

Use a wireless connection for your computer? Have good spyware on your
computer,

So you actually WANT spyware?

Something reminds me of wanting a bulletproof suit, and going out to
buy a gun instead.

:-)

how about ALL the companies you deal with? Leaks can occur
anywhere. A nosey bank custodian. How about the mail system.

Sure be careful with paperwork but the REAL leaks are high tech and out
of your control

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:30:59 -0700, Random Netizen
wrote:

In article .com,
says...
Sure be careful with paperwork but the REAL leaks are high tech and out
of your control

Perhaps, but many cases of identity theft can be traced back to careless disposal of
paper-based information.

Some people are unable to think about more than ONE security threat.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

#2 Got a cat or dog? Add the you know what to the trash back with the
shred. It would discourage me.

I do follow my first suggestion. Not that I really think I need to
worry, but I do get a little smile thinking of the possibility of some
homeland security team working weeks trying to figure out what is going on.

I've heard people say, add it to your compost heap, well mixed in.
This way the worms will eat it, and effectivly the material is
completely distroyed.

Unless the worms talk?

I didn't know that worms could read.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 07:13:31 GMT, Erik wrote:

I actually caught some of my competition going through my trash late one
night.

Wow. What do you do for a living?

Those drive up post office mail boxes I think are dangerous too. They
get full and the mail backs up the chute to where anyone can grab it. If
your in a low car, you often can't even see if the mail is backing up.
I've seen mail literally hanging out these boxes, and people there
trying to jam in more... amazing.

They don't anticipate problems. Neither do I most of the time, but I
would consider leaving the mail hanging out to be "Put[ting] a
stumbling block before the blind." Tempting someone to commit a crime
by making it very easy. Can't do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik

I actually caught some of my competition going through my trash late one
night.

Wow. What do you do for a living?

I consult.

Those drive up post office mail boxes I think are dangerous too. They
get full and the mail backs up the chute to where anyone can grab it. If
your in a low car, you often can't even see if the mail is backing up.
I've seen mail literally hanging out these boxes, and people there
trying to jam in more... amazing.

They don't anticipate problems. Neither do I most of the time, but I
would consider leaving the mail hanging out to be "Put[ting] a
stumbling block before the blind." Tempting someone to commit a crime
by making it very easy. Can't do it.

I just thought it to be amazing anyone anyone would leave their mail (or
anything for all that matter) accessible like that....

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:13:41 -0600, Bill Gill
wrote:

Searcher wrote:
We burn all of our documents, not very hard to go out to the garden and sit
around a nice relaxing evidence burn, errr, I mean document burn!!

searcher

Well, that may be ok sometimes. Here in Oklahoma this
last week end they finally lifted the burn ban that has
been in effect since November. Kind of hard to burn
your papers when you aren't allowed a fire of any kind
(including outdoor barbecues).

That's why my house has a chimney.

#2 Got a cat or dog? Add the you know what to the trash back with the
shred. It would discourage me.

I do follow my first suggestion. Not that I really think I need to
worry, but I do get a little smile thinking of the possibility of some
homeland security team working weeks trying to figure out what is going on.

I've heard people say, add it to your compost heap, well mixed in.
This way the worms will eat it, and effectivly the material is
completely distroyed.

Unless the worms talk?

Fine, unless you use your compost on your vegetable garden,
in which case you'll want to know what chemicals are in the
assorted inks, and what the uptake-rate is for your plants.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:46:42 GMT, Erik wrote:

I actually caught some of my competition going through my trash late one
night.

Wow. What do you do for a living?

I consult.

They pay you to do that! I would have thought people consult you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Someone suggested mixing the shreddings with cat litter throwaways.
Why not use the shreddings in the litterbox for litter?-Jitney

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

Anything that has my name and address on it gets shredded, even junk mail if
it isn't addressed to "Resident"... Bills and such that might have account
numbers or junk mail that might be offering credit cards get shredded and
then put in a 5g plastic bucket that I fill with water and pulp the mixture
for a few days... I have a paint / sheetrock mud mixing blade that I put in
my drill and use to stir it up... The shaft of the device comes through a
hole in the 5g bucket so that it doesn't make a mess... Sometimes I'll take
this mixture and mix with concrete if I'm building something -- a quart of
it added to an 80 lb bag of concrete doesn't affect it much, especially if
it's just concrete fill for a CMU (aka "cinder block")... Sometimes I'll mix
it up with the dirt in the landscaping beds... Sometimes I'll just throw
some of it in a plastic grocery bag, wait for the water to leak out of it,
and then throw the semi-dry mass away... The term for it is "pulping" I
seriously doubt that anyone could piece together the fibers of the slurry
and make anything out of it... The advantage of it over burning is that you
can deposit the paper bits into the existing slurry mix, run the mixer for a
minute or so and forget about it... Burning requires you to monitor the burn
process, stirring it frequently so that everything turns to ash, not just
charred paper bits... Of course, you could periodically flush a cup of the
slurry every time you went to the bathroom... I suspect mixing it with your
landscaping soil is more ecologically sound, albeit not as convenient as a
flush... grin