Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

Default Improved security for shredders

Anything that has my name and address on it gets shredded, even junk mail if
it isn't addressed to "Resident"... Bills and such that might have account
numbers or junk mail that might be offering credit cards get shredded and
then put in a 5g plastic bucket that I fill with water and pulp the mixture
for a few days... I have a paint / sheetrock mud mixing blade that I put in
my drill and use to stir it up... The shaft of the device comes through a
hole in the 5g bucket so that it doesn't make a mess... Sometimes I'll take
this mixture and mix with concrete if I'm building something -- a quart of
it added to an 80 lb bag of concrete doesn't affect it much, especially if
it's just concrete fill for a CMU (aka "cinder block")... Sometimes I'll mix
it up with the dirt in the landscaping beds... Sometimes I'll just throw
some of it in a plastic grocery bag, wait for the water to leak out of it,
and then throw the semi-dry mass away... The term for it is "pulping" I
seriously doubt that anyone could piece together the fibers of the slurry
and make anything out of it... The advantage of it over burning is that you
can deposit the paper bits into the existing slurry mix, run the mixer for a
minute or so and forget about it... Burning requires you to monitor the burn
process, stirring it frequently so that everything turns to ash, not just
charred paper bits... Of course, you could periodically flush a cup of the
slurry every time you went to the bathroom... I suspect mixing it with your
landscaping soil is more ecologically sound, albeit not as convenient as a
flush... grin