Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On 05/07/2018 11:28 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 17:34:32 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/07/2018 07:44 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a
pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room.
Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for
winter.

In places where a swamp cooler works, a little more humidity isn't a bad
thing.

Why does anyone want humidity? If it's hot, humid air makes it feel
hotter, as your sweat can't evaporate so easily. In cold weather, the
damp cools you down more. So it's never wanted.

Maybe it's not wanted on that swampy island where you live. It's a
different story in arid climates. Do you know what virga is? That's rain
that evaporates before it reaches the ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2018 19:07:11 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 18:28:24 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 17:34:32 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/07/2018 07:44 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a
pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room.
Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for winter.

In places where a swamp cooler works, a little more humidity isn't a bad
thing.

Why does anyone want humidity? If it's hot, humid air makes it feel hotter, as your sweat can't evaporate so easily. In cold weather, the damp cools you down more. So it's never wanted.

You really should get out of Scotland sometimes. There are plenty of
places where the humidity is very low. The house being too dry is a
problem.

Why? What's so bad about dry air?

People run humidifiers in the winter. The other thing you
miss is if it gets much below zero C, your heat pump stops working.
There just is not enough available heat to do you any good and the
outside coils ice up.

Funny how a domestic freezer can easily make it down to -20C on the cold side.

Even at 5-7 C they are not very efficient. That
is why they usually have toaster wire strips in them.
When you want to heat something up, it is hard to beat burning gas if
you have it. Gas is really cheap here.

Here too, but a heat pump sounds simpler.

--
Women are not served here. You have to bring your own.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2018 19:56:00 +0100, rbowman wrote:

[...]

What does it feel like to be in a house that's "too dry"?

--
Judi: "Hon, what is my love worth to you?"
Amanpreet: "Am I buying, or selling?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Mon, 7 May 2018 10:34:32 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a
pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room.
Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for winter.

In places where a swamp cooler works, a little more humidity isn't a bad
thing.

Ready for another retarded "discussion" with the village idiot, lowbrowman?
BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yaniks Alert!

On Mon, 7 May 2018 10:39:49 -0700, Bob F, the mentally deficient,
troll-feeding Yankietard, blabbered again:

I've pointed out a superior system and asked why you're using the old
one.* I'm waiting for an answer.

Since you are incapable of thinking yourself, it comes down to one thing: $

Sorry, poor little idiot, but he STILL pwns you ...big time!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2018 18:04:44 +0100, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 7 May 2018 12:36:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In some places a swamp cooler just adds to
the already high humidity and is not very efficient. They are best used
in the southwest US. Never saw one in the east.

Putting humidity in the air; in the desert, cools the skin. If outside
humidity reaches ~40=45% they are less efficient and almost useless.
Hard water wears them out, a reason for service so often in summer.

Right now it is 87 F with 10% humidity.(Las Vegas)

I don't believe you on the cooling the skin. Your body sweats to evaporate. Evaporation works better if the air is drier.

--
The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ESPECIALLY Senile Yank Alert! LOL

On Mon, 7 May 2018 08:37:05 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Really Senile Monster
drooled and driveled again:

One of the things I did for a living was installation and service of HVAC

....and you ended up sucking troll cock on Usenet, poor senile idiot! What a
tragic ending to your life.

[8~{} Auntie Really Senile Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yanks Alert!

On Mon, 7 May 2018 10:42:48 -0700, Bob F, the mentally deficient,
troll-feeding Yankietard, blabbered again:

Why bother with the gas at all?* Just have enough heat pumps to pump
heat in winter and summer.

Heat pumps do not always heat enough. As the outside temp drops, they
become less and less efficient. Most heat pumps use electric strip
heaters when outside temps get too low.

I only wonder how old THAT senile sucker of troll cock is. BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2018 14:36:24 +0100, KenK wrote:

Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.

Thoughts?

TIA

Why is it called a swamp cooler? It doesn't cool swamps.

--
Peter is currently listening to 10 minutes of laughter set to music.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 2:03:55 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 18:42:48 +0100, Bob F wrote:

On 5/7/2018 10:24 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 16:37:05 +0100, Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 9:08:44 AM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 15:05:56 +0100, wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 9:44:59 AM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 14:36:24 +0100, KenK wrote:

Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and
a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it
significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There
seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other
problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.

Thoughts?

It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler
is a pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the
room. Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat
pump for winter.

You must have different "real AC units". Mine won't run in
reverse. It's pretty much exactly like this:

https://www.goodmanmfg.com/resources/heating-cooling-101/how-central-ac-systems-work

Except it and the supply air ducts are located in the basement of
my single-story house.

Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards? You just reverse
the pump. Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has
been able to do this. The controller usually has settings for
heating, cooling, or automatic. On automatic you can simply set a
range (say 18 - 22C) and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under,
it heats.
--

You don't run it backwards. We have what are called,"Heat Pumps". The
compressor always spins in the same direction but there is something

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster

Why bother with the gas at all? Just have enough heat pumps to pump
heat in winter and summer.

Heat pumps do not always heat enough. As the outside temp drops, they
become less and less efficient. Most heat pumps use electric strip
heaters when outside temps get too low.

Then you need more heat pumps. I've been told they tend to be 400% efficient even in winter. Maybe not if you live somewhere like Alaska where it's way below zero. Do you guys say "way below thirty two"?

We say "way below freezing".

Average January nighttime low where I live is -7.8 C. Record
low is -25.0 C. We can usually count on at least three nights
that are below 18 C.

Average July daytime high is 28.4 C. Record daytime high is
35 C.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That doesn't actually sound too much different to Scotland. I'd rewrite your statement as:

Average January nighttime low where I live is -3 C. Record
low is -19.0 C. We can usually count on at least three nights
that are below -7 C.

Average July daytime high is 25 C. Record daytime high is
33 C.

--
Bikini e pareo, camicia di pizzo e shorts, top e gonna di crochet!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/07/2018 12:59 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

What does it feel like to be in a house that's "too dry"?

The furniture tends to fall apart, to say nothing of your skin. It's
rough on many musical instruments too. I went to a uilleann pipes
concert in March and the guy was crouched over a vaporizer trying to
keep them functional.

The interesting part is you don't sweat like most people think about
sweating. Your pores are putting out moisture but it evaporates
immediately.

You should try a holiday in the southern Mahgreb to expand your horizons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/07/2018 01:01 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 18:04:44 +0100, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 7 May 2018 12:36:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In some places a swamp cooler just adds to
the already high humidity and is not very efficient. They are best used
in the southwest US. Never saw one in the east.

Putting humidity in the air; in the desert, cools the skin. If outside
humidity reaches ~40=45% they are less efficient and almost useless.
Hard water wears them out, a reason for service so often in summer.

Right now it is 87 F with 10% humidity.(Las Vegas)

I don't believe you on the cooling the skin. Your body sweats to
evaporate. Evaporation works better if the air is drier.

Evaporation works all too well in Arizona.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

When we say 'way below zero' it's way below -18 C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2018 20:28:14 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/07/2018 12:59 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

What does it feel like to be in a house that's "too dry"?

The furniture tends to fall apart, to say nothing of your skin. It's
rough on many musical instruments too. I went to a uilleann pipes
concert in March and the guy was crouched over a vaporizer trying to
keep them functional.

The interesting part is you don't sweat like most people think about
sweating. Your pores are putting out moisture but it evaporates
immediately.

But that's the point. As soon as your sweat evaporates, it's performed it's purpose, you cool down. It can't evaporate too fast, that would make you colder and you just sweat less.

You should try a holiday in the southern Mahgreb to expand your horizons.

--
Today's woman puts on wigs, fake eyelashes, false fingernails, sixteen pounds of assorted make-up/shadows/blushes/creams, living bras, various pads that would make a linebacker envious, has implants and assorted other surgeries, then complains that she cannot find a "real" man.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Why on earth would you still use an antiquated measurement system that doesn't have a zero in a sensible place? C is easy - 0 is freezing 100 is boiling. Of water, the most important thing on the planet.

--
Bumper sticker: "Help! She's farted and I can't get out."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yank Alert!

On Mon, 07 May 2018 13:54:21 -0400, , the mentally
challenged, notorious, troll-feeding retard, blabbered again:

My wife has a little

YOU got a wife? Does she know that you suck troll cock on Usenet, cretin?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2018 14:07:11 -0400, , the mentally
challenged, notorious, troll-feeding retard, blabbered again:

You really should get out of Scotland sometimes.

Why? The filthy Scottish sow can have every fun with all you senile idiots
on ahr! BG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2018 12:56:00 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

Maybe it's not wanted on that swampy island where you live. It's a
different story in arid climates.

Nope, lowbrowman, it's always the SAME story: the Scottish sow requires some
senile Yank to suck him off, and you will always be there to do his bidding.
ALWAYS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2018 13:28:14 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

You should try a holiday in the southern Mahgreb to expand your horizons.

Indeed you two inseparable morons should finally hook up in real life!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2018 13:29:35 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

I don't believe you on the cooling the skin. Your body sweats to
evaporate. Evaporation works better if the air is drier.

Evaporation works all too well in Arizona.

I bet there will be a lot of evaporation taking place once you two
inseparable idiots hook up in real life! G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2018 6:36 AM, KenK wrote:
Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.

Thoughts?

TIA

Power consumption is the second question to ask.
First question is whether you live in a climate
that's dry enough to use a swamp cooler.
Google "dew point" and think about inside humidity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What is simpler than a burner a metal can and a fan?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

All the radiators/pumps/valves/pipes to distribute the heat.

--
The Red Cross just knocked on my door and asked if we could contribute towards the floods in Lebanon.
I said we'd love to, but our garden hose only reaches the driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And the inside (cold) coils also ice up and quit working.

Even at 5-7 C they are not very efficient. That
is why they usually have toaster wire strips in them.
When you want to heat something up, it is hard to beat burning gas if
you have it. Gas is really cheap here.

Here too, but a heat pump sounds simpler.

What is simpler than a burner a metal can and a fan?

All the radiators/pumps/valves/pipes to distribute the heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

At -20C. But they don't stop working when the freezer is warmer than that.

BTW, a person can quit a job, a machine cannot quit, it stops.

--
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Any such system is arbitrary and it makes no sense to complain
about its arbitrariness.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 2:05:17 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 18:54:21 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 18:15:37 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 14:36:24 +0100, KenK
wrote:

[snip]

Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards? You just reverse
the pump. Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has
been able to do this. The controller usually has settings for
heating, cooling, or automatic. On automatic you can simply set a
range (say 18 - 22C) and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under,
it heats.

What you're describing is what is referred to a split unit system or
inverter. After screwing around with a through the wall A/C unit which
was noisier than all get out in the size needed to cool the addition, I
finally got smart and picked up a split system (air handler inside,
compressor/inverter outside). What a difference. Very quiet (hard to
tell it's running, actually), and much cheaper than our old A/C unit.
And, as you say, when heat is needed, the system reverses itself and
heats the interior drawing heat from outside even when it's in the 20F
degree range outside.

I wasn't aware they still made the one way systems. I know of several commercial and domestic places around here in the UK who have had AC units fitted (and they only wanted to cool the room down), and they're all reversible.

Heat pumps are not used much here in South Florida either. I have a
Mini split heat pump and I don't think the heat function has ever been
used. There are heat strips in the air handler for the central air
system and I doubt they have ever been on either.
My wife has a little 1.4 KW heat strip in the electric fireplace in
the living room and that is all she ever uses. That is still very
seldom. Nobody has a furnace.

I guess it depends on the weather where you live as to what gets manufactured.

--
If god is so amazing, why did the dinosaurs die out?

Wow, you really think so, Sherlock?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2018 13:39:54 -0700, mike, another obviously mentally
handicapped troll-feeding retard, blabbered:

And the inside (cold) coils also ice up and quit working.

Idiot!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

No, it's easier to use with sensible numbers. I was brought up on F. It was ok for room temperature, I knew 70F was room temperature and could work from that. But having a 0 at freezing point makes it so much easier to judge outside temperatures.

--
Is a "speed hump" when you have to get it done before your wife comes home?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 14:36:24 +0100, KenK
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

You'd think in the 1st century manufacturers would make stuff for the international market.

(I'm assuming you're referring to my reply, not my sig, which for some reason you quoted).

--
Murphy says to Paddy, "What ya talkin into an envelope for?" "I'm sending a voicemail ya thick sod!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2018 14:09:41 -0700 (PDT), tardo_4, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, driveled again:

I guess it depends on the weather where you live as to what gets manufactured.

--
If god is so amazing, why did the dinosaurs die out?

Wow, you really think so, Sherlock?

Wow, you really find the idiot's latest idiotic bait worthy to be taken, tardo_4 BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 14:36:24 +0100, KenK
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Personally, I have never seen a window type inverter system such as you
describe, only the split systems. Doesn't mean they aren't out there on
this side of the pond, just that I've not seen them and I was looking
for any suitable alternatives to the window/thru wall units two years
ago when I went to the current split.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/07/2018 12:28 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

[snip]

Why does anyone want humidity?* If it's hot, humid air makes it feel
hotter, as your sweat can't evaporate so easily.* In cold weather, the
damp cools you down more.* So it's never wanted.

Here, humidity is low in the winter. The cats don't like it when petting
is accompanied by electric shocks.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Put your trust in Allah, but tie up your camel first." -- Arab proverb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2018 16:37:56 -0500, Unquestionably Confused, another mentally
deficient Yankietard, blathered:

Personally, I have never seen

Personally, I have never seen as many senile Yankietards together in one
place as on this ****ing stupid newsgroup!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2018 17:14:20 -0500, Mark Lloyd, another notorious,
troll-feeding idiot, blabbered:

Why does anyone want humidity?* If it's hot, humid air makes it feel
hotter, as your sweat can't evaporate so easily.* In cold weather, the
damp cools you down more.* So it's never wanted.

Here, humidity is low in the winter. The cats don't like it when petting
is accompanied by electric shocks.

I never knew there were THAT many driveling senile Yanks out there! LOL

Should I consider a swamp cooler? [email protected] Home Repair 17 June 18th 05 11:06 AM
swamp cooler question JK Home Repair 14 June 7th 05 09:47 PM
replacement bottom swamp cooler pans Anthony Ewell Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 09:11 PM
swamp cooler anode Anthony Ewell Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 07:06 AM
Swamp cooler question SteveB Metalworking 31 May 24th 05 03:28 AM