Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg

How do we debug a scratchy sound?
We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.

But is it the speaker?
Or something else?

If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get
speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
is each unique?

I'm helping the neighbor's kid refurbish a beat-up 2005 Camry where I
helped her kid put in new speaker covers this weekend but the scratch sound
persisted (we thought it might have been the crud or vibration from the
crumbling melted-in covers).

The scratchy sound persisted even with the newly replaced covers.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers2.jpg

Any suggestion on how to debug the cause of the scratchiness?
If it's the speakers themselves, are these things standard sizes nowadays?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:14:31 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
wrote:

[...]

Interchange the wires at the speakers - you'll prove that it's the
speaker and not the stereo or wiring.
Pull out the bad speaker & look for a tiny tear - try fixing it -

http://www.300guitars.com/300s-tips/...speaker-cones/

or shop for a replacement.
John T.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

harry newton wrote:
I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg

How do we debug a scratchy sound?
We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.

But is it the speaker?
Or something else?

You can swap the speaker for the one from the other side. But "scratchy"
sounds are apt to be rubbing voice coils which you can feel by pressing
on the cone with your thumbs.

If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get
speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
is each unique?

There are several standard sizes. You can buy cheap replacement speakers
from chain auto parts stores. You can buy the same speakers for half as
much from Parts Express but then pay postage on them.
--scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 8:14:41 AM UTC-5, harry newton wrote:
[...]

Others have given some tips on how to figure out if it's the speaker.
Another idea is to hook up some other speaker, eg one from a stereo
system and see what it does.

For speakers and what will fit which car, Crutchfield has always been
a good source. If you figure out what you want, Ebay is another source.
But if buying some name brand, be careful on Ebay, especially name brands
shipping from China, many are counterfeit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 10:07:05 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Any suggestion on how to debug the cause of the scratchiness?

Others have given some tips on how to figure out if it's the speaker.
Another idea is to hook up some other speaker, eg one from a stereo
system and see what it does.

Nonsense.
John T.

And why exactly do you claim it's nonsense? Seems if you have some
real expertise to share, you could just spell it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How do we debug a scratchy sound?
We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.
But is it the speaker? Or something else?

Interchange the wires at the speakers - you'll prove that it's the
speaker and not the stereo or wiring.
Pull out the bad speaker & look for a tiny tear - try fixing it -
http://www.300guitars.com/300s-tips/...speaker-cones/
or shop for a replacement.
John T.

Keep it simple - introducing more variables - such as a different
third speaker and its wiring .. etc just confuses the issue.
... especially when a simple and straight-forward trouble-shooting
method is available.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 11:20:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:

How do we debug a scratchy sound?
We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.
But is it the speaker? Or something else?

Interchange the wires at the speakers - you'll prove that it's the
speaker and not the stereo or wiring.
Pull out the bad speaker & look for a tiny tear - try fixing it -
http://www.300guitars.com/300s-tips/...speaker-cones/
or shop for a replacement.
John T.

Keep it simple - introducing more variables - such as a different
third speaker and its wiring .. etc just confuses the issue.
.. especially when a simple and straight-forward trouble-shooting
method is available.
John T.

So, it's not nonsense to use another speaker that may be available to
test, it's just that it's not *your* method. It may be easier and
simpler to use another speaker. Are the wires and connections to
the other rear speaker available or is further disassembly required?
Not unusual that you have to remove the speaker before you can get
to the wires. So now you have to remove the other speaker.
And even if you don't have to remove the other good
speaker, you almost certainly aren't going to just move the wires from
it to the other side to run the test. The wires typically are not
going anywhere. Given that, I don't think
it's nonsense to use another speaker which can be quickly connected
with some jumper wires to test. I have a few here that I could easily
use instead of pulling the other speaker out. If he wants to pull the
other one, fine. But it's clearly not nonsense to suggest using another
speaker.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:14:31 +0000 (UTC), harry
newton wrote:

I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg

How do we debug a scratchy sound?
We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.

Then it's the speaker. I'm assuming you used both the left-to-right
balance and the front-to-rear fader so you were really listening to only
one speaker at a time. If there is a problem in the left channel, it
will be heard in both the front and rear speaker.

But is it the speaker?

Yes.

Or something else?

No.

If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get

The dealer is a terrible place. Do they even sell speakers?

speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
is each unique?

Crutchfield. Very reliable. Very helpful on the phone with real
people. They're in Charlotte, Va. and I'm in Baltimore and I ordered
something and I wasn't in a hurry but I got it the next day.

I recommend them highly despite that they did make a mistake, like other
vendors do, wrt the inputs on my 2005 Solara radio. This is the E7001
radio, but I don't think E7002 is any different. These are both
Navigation radios that only hold one CD, and with some such radio, if
you press the CD button twice, it goes to the CD deck, and it does have
a jack for a CD deck (or satellite) and they sell devices that will use
such a jack for USB/AUX input. Well that doesn't work on these radios,
but they took my word for it, sent me a paid-mailing label, I sent it
back as if it were new, dropped it off at a UPS place, and I got my
refund the next day.

I've also bought speakers from them more than once in the past. No one
else has a better list of cars and their dimensions.

You SHOULD NOT MESS with dash speakers. There was a recall on
dashboards from that year and a couple others, on the Solara but I'm
pretty sure on the Camry too, and some of them have deteriorated so bad
they replaced the dash for free. My dash has a few hairline cracks,
but when I tried to lift the 3 digital gauges above the center AC
outlets, I put a tiny nick in the dash, behind the gauges. Plainly my
dash, also a 2005, is softer than when it was made. (But I'm prettty
sure it's nowhere near bad enough to get them to replace it for free,
plus the recall has expired anyhow.) I had to go at the gauges from
another direction and I did get them up, to reach the radio bolts and
remove the radio (long enough to unplug that device above that didn't
work. I had been able to plug it in from the bottom without removing
the radio.) So there is a tiny nick there

Since you refer to the deck, I assume this is really a Camry and not a
Solara, which some people call a Camry Solara. And that it's a sedan
and not a convertible, because the convertibles also have a woofer
behind the rear seat. I don't think it's even mentioned in the owners
manual or anywhere but the wiring diagram, but it's there.

I'm helping the neighbor's kid refurbish a beat-up 2005 Camry where I
helped her kid put in new speaker covers this weekend but the scratch sound
persisted (we thought it might have been the crud or vibration from the
crumbling melted-in covers).

For crud, I would have washed the covers in the dishwasher. It does a
great job on things like this.

The scratchy sound persisted even with the newly replaced covers.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers2.jpg

Any suggestion on how to debug the cause of the scratchiness?
If it's the speakers themselves, are these things standard sizes nowadays?

Yes, but there are lots of sizes, especially when you consider depth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You mean change + to - at each speaker? If that's what you mean, not
only will that take a long time but it won't prove anything.

And by the way, OP, you have to observe polarity when you install new
speakers or reinstall old ones, or the sound will be terrible. There
is usually a red dot on the Plus connector of the speaker. I'm sure
there are better instructions with any new speaker you buy, and old
speakers should be reinstalled as they were.

Pull out the bad speaker & look for a tiny tear - try fixing it -

That's a good idea. I take scratchiness to refer to something other
than a tear, but tears exist too. Buzzing or humming, and maybe
scratching on occasion (because who knows what sound that really refers
to) is caused by a tear in the cone.

http://www.300guitars.com/300s-tips/...speaker-cones/

He is vague when he says, Elmers the same as we used in grade school.
Elmers white glue comes in two kinds now, "School" glue and the
original. I assume that since I'm not 7 years old anymore, any
advantage the school glue has** is lost on me and the other one is
better.

**It's washable, even after it dries, I guess.

But for rips I wouldn't use white glue like he says. I've used rubber
cement several times in the past with good results. Rubber cement is
flexible.

This bit about a patch might be a good idea for major damage but most
little rips just need a few drops of rubber cement.

or shop for a replacement.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Dec 2017 08:29:51 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Speakers for cars, last I looked, tended to be 4 ohms, while those for
record players (oops, stereos, or whatever they are called now) tend to
be 8 ohms. Perhaps this has changed but no one told me.

I don't think this difference is noticeable in the short run, and
certainly not if one is listening to one speaker at a time.

But I wouldn't install an 8-ohn speaker when all the others are 4-ohm.
OTOH, I'm sure you didn't mean to install it permanently since it would
be almost impossible to find one that would fit. You referred to
testing.

And John didn't give ohms as a reason for his statement.

BTW, the woofer in Toyota convertibles is I think meant to make up for
lack of bass when the top is down, so if I'm right and his is not a
convertible, it wouldn't have a woofer.

On my 2000, I didnt' know there was one until I removed the back of the
back seat for some reason. The speaker was disconnected, one of the two
voice coil wires** was cut, and the surround had mostly fallen off. I
bought a kit for $25 and redid the surround, suprisingly easy (check
with me on where I bought the kit, there are about three vendors and
they're not the same), I resoldered the cut speaker lead, and I plugged
the speaker in.

Voila, too much bass. I turned down the bass and still too much bass. I
think now the previous owner, a middled-aged woman, complained and so
they cut one of the voice coil wires, and it was still too loud so she
had them disconnect the whole thing. She was right. Then I bought a
new car and the 2005's woofer doesn't have the same problem. I turned
the bass down one notch and it's good now.

**I guess so it could play both channels without mixing them
electrically.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

replying to harry newton, Iggy wrote:
Nice work on the grills! Yeah, the scratchiness is from either a separated
coil or torn cone, you'll need replacement...of both while the car is finally
apart, what an "engineering" mess. Auto Parts stores, Junkyards and most
anywhere pertinent online from Walmart to Crutchfield (
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VDtdeTrOHie/ ). Crutchfield's a long time car
audio site (who's now expanded) with very good customer service. They can help
you replace or upgrade both rears, even saving you the measuring to tell you
the size for the specific car. I prefer the polymer or plastic cone speakers,
much richer sound. Manufacturer speakers are usually pretty good, so don't
commit to cheapies without hearing them in the car first.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1152165-.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

[...]

Not "standard size" - they are often even different from mdel to
madel in a brand, or year to yrear in a model.

Try scrapyard? Otherwise dealer is best bet. There are kits to put
"standard" speakers in, but they are not terribly satisfactpry. O have
installed non-OEM speakers by making adapter plates - basically not
worth the hassle.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

newton wrote:

I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg

How do we debug a scratchy sound?
We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.

Then it's the speaker. I'm assuming you used both the left-to-right
balance and the front-to-rear fader so you were really listening to only
one speaker at a time. If there is a problem in the left channel, it
will be heard in both the front and rear speaker.

But is it the speaker?

Yes.

Or something else?

No.

If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get

The dealer is a terrible place. Do they even sell speakers? ;;

WEhy is it a terrible place"? -0 and of course they sell speakers.
The right ones, that bolt in properly, even. Yes, they cost abit more
than the ones that don't fit.

speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
is each unique?

Crutchfield. Very reliable. Very helpful on the phone with real
people. They're in Charlotte, Va. and I'm in Baltimore and I ordered
something and I wasn't in a hurry but I got it the next day.

They will likely have "universal" speakers and adapter brackets -
which usually work OK - - - - -

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg

How do we debug a scratchy sound?

I'll defer to the expertise of others, but if you wiggle the wire does
the "scratchy sound" increase?

Perhaps a speaker wire connection is less than satisfactory. Ground
wire on the stereo needs to be checked -- maybe?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

He who is Clare Snyder said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:39:10 -0500:

Not "standard size" - they are often even different from mdel to
madel in a brand, or year to yrear in a model.

Thanks for all the advice - I haven't touched speakers in decades!

I like the ideas of:
a. Testing with a separate speaker (if I can find one)
b. Testing by jumping the wires (shouldn't be too hard).

At this point, I'm trying to figure out what size fits.

Here is a picture of the topside of the speaker when we replaced the grill:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker5.jpg

Here is the bottom underside in the trunk:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker6.jpg

The kid is at college so she only comes home to the neighbor sporadically
so I'm just lining up my ducks now.

Looking at the advice to call Crutchfield, they seem to be good and bad.
They were very helpful. 1.844.298.3430 About $50 for two speakers.

The problem is *every* speaker they have for the 2005 Camry doesn't fit.
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/Al...p=105&l=E&pg=1

The guy was helpful and said I had to make my own bracket. Huh? Why can't
it just bolt in? (I'm glad I asked because I didn't expect that.)

Amazingly, they have 200 speakers they say that fit, of three sizes:
5-1/4, 6-1/2, and 6x9 (I didn't think to measure it unforutnately)

I don't have the car in hand, but apparently there are three types:
a. With navigation (she doesn't have it)
b. With JBL audio system (I'll have to ask - probably not)
c. Without both of those (this is probably what they have)

I called the Toyota dealership and gave them the VIN where they told me
their price was $298 for a single OEM Pioneer 6x9 speaker + about $30 tax,
so, since I'll likely want to get a set, that would be $660 for the set.

I just can't pay that. Even for a nice neighbor's kid.
It's just too much.

Since Camelback Toyota in Arizona usually has the best prices, I called
them and they told me, from the VIN, that the radio is a "Fujitsu 10" and
the speaker part number is 86160-AA450, they sell for half that price, at
$300 for the set.
https://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota...er-86160aa450/

It's back to Crutchfield I go!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2017 7:14 AM, harry newton wrote:

Any suggestion on how to debug the cause of the scratchiness?
If it's the speakers themselves, are these things standard sizes nowadays?

You ought to have the sound system up to snuff by now, so let's get
started on a new timing belt.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

He who is Oren said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 12:33:32 -0800:

I'll defer to the expertise of others, but if you wiggle the wire does
the "scratchy sound" increase?

Perhaps a speaker wire connection is less than satisfactory. Ground
wire on the stereo needs to be checked -- maybe?

That's a good idea to wiggle wires (I haven't done speakers in years).
The car is at college so it only comes home to do laundry.

When it comes home, the neighbor will call me and I'll be ready.

What I'll do is:
a. Try to find a test speaker of about 20 watts
b. Make a set of jumper wires to jump one side to the other
c. Wiggle the wires to see if the speaker or the radio is bad

Incidentally, after ripping out the interior in the back, the new grills
from the Toyota dealer went in easily after drilling out the old
heat-melted posts.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker1.jpg

The dealer parts came with these round metal clips to fasten the posts:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker10.jpg

We originally thought the noise was because the grill was destroyed:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker3.jpg

I think the new speakers will have to come out through the top:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker6d52eb.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

He who is My 2 Cents said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:51:01 -0600:

You ought to have the sound system up to snuff by now, so let's get
started on a new timing belt.

Does the 2005 Camry have a timing belt? Or chain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You ought to have the sound system up to snuff by now, so let's get
started on a new timing belt.

Does the 2005 Camry have a timing belt? Or chain?

... depends on the engine that's in the car :

http://yourcarangel.com/2012/06/toyo...nd-chain-list/

http://yourcarangel.com/2014/07/inte...complete-list/

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

He who is said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 16:11:14 -0500:

Does the 2005 Camry have a timing belt? Or chain?

.. depends on the engine that's in the car :

http://yourcarangel.com/2012/06/toyo...nd-chain-list/

http://yourcarangel.com/2014/07/inte...complete-list/

John T.

Thanks for that info as it's not my car.
This one is the 4 cylinder 2005 camry which, woo hoo, comes with a chain.

The neighbor is a good friend, but I don't think ANYONE is that good of a
friend to suffer through an idiotic belt replacement every 100K miles.

Three things I'll never own and never have:
a. FWD
b. Timing belt
c. Automatic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 3:44:24 PM UTC-5, harry newton wrote:
[...]

I guess that answers Clare's question about why not go to a
dealership, or stealership as I call them..... You can probably
find the Toytota part online, from another dealer for less, but
in my experience, for something like this, it's never close to
what aftermarket parts go for.

I just can't pay that. Even for a nice neighbor's kid.
It's just too much.

Since Camelback Toyota in Arizona usually has the best prices, I called
them and they told me, from the VIN, that the radio is a "Fujitsu 10" and
the speaker part number is 86160-AA450, they sell for half that price, at
$300 for the set.
https://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota...er-86160aa450/

It's back to Crutchfield I go!

Bingo, just read the part where you said you can find it for less at
another dealer, but it's still lots of bucks. Another option, find the
latest model car that used that speaker and try a salvage yard. Buying
speakers at a salvage yard wouldn't be my first choice, for obvious
reasons, but if you can find ones that are less than ten years old or
so for $10, you don't have much to lose.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:

If it's the speakers themselves, are these things standard sizes nowadays?

Yes, no, maybe so.

I recently replaced the speakers in my 2001 Toyota 4Runner. The rear
door speakers were a strange size, and Crutchfield's database was
telling me that I had to do some drilling to install standard 5 1/4"
speakers. However this site, http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com had
the proper adapter to avoid drilling
http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK039. It also
allowed me to use deeper speakers but with the existing grilles.

I found the best deal on speakers on sale at Fry's. I was going to buy
the same speakers at Crutchfield but they were considerably more
expensive. Ditto for the new head unit I put in, JVC KW-V830BT, it was
about $100 less on sale at Fry's.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:44:17 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
wrote:

I called the Toyota dealership and gave them the VIN where they told me
their price was $298 for a single OEM Pioneer 6x9 speaker + about $30 tax,
so, since I'll likely want to get a set, that would be $660 for the set.

You can find a Pioneer 6x9 speaker for a better price than that,
surely. If it fits the OEM -- why not?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 14:14:58 -0800, sms
wrote:

I found the best deal on speakers on sale at Fry's. I was going to buy
the same speakers at Crutchfield but they were considerably more
expensive. Ditto for the new head unit I put in, JVC KW-V830BT, it was
about $100 less on sale at Fry's.

For those on the east coast, Fry's is a good electronic store (s)
based in California. Into Nevada and western locations.

Your Sunday 12.03.17 Promo Code:
4746766 (Mine)

Cheers.

https://www.frys.com/ads/view-all-store-ads?site=sunemail120317
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:56:03 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
wrote:

That's a good idea to wiggle wires (I haven't done speakers in years).
The car is at college so it only comes home to do laundry.

When it comes home, the neighbor will call me and I'll be ready.

It really is a shame when college kids can't fix a scratchy sounding
speaker. A speaker smarter than a snowflake. with a safe place.

WTF is the world coming to.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

That's a good idea to wiggle wires (I haven't done speakers in years).
The car is at college so it only comes home to do laundry.

When it comes home, the neighbor will call me and I'll be ready.

It really is a shame when college kids can't fix a scratchy sounding
speaker. A speaker smarter than a snowflake. with a safe place.

WTF is the world coming to.

Hey, take it easy on the kid. He's going to have a master's degree in
4th century Greek sculpture and $70,000 in student loans. The world
need people like that contributing to society don't they? Somebody has
to make the fries.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 5/12/2017 7:56 AM, harry newton wrote:
[...]

It's the only way you're getting them out of there. The top trim panel
should come out fairly easily and make access to the speaker retainers
easy as well.

--

Xeno
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

He who is Oren said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:54:05 -0800:

It really is a shame when college kids can't fix a scratchy sounding
speaker. A speaker smarter than a snowflake. with a safe place.

The whole family is girls.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

newton wrote:

I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg

How do we debug a scratchy sound?
We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.

Then it's the speaker. I'm assuming you used both the left-to-right
balance and the front-to-rear fader so you were really listening to only
one speaker at a time. If there is a problem in the left channel, it
will be heard in both the front and rear speaker.

If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get

The dealer is a terrible place. Do they even sell speakers? ;;

WEhy is it a terrible place"? -0 and of course they sell speakers.

AIUI, the dealers' speakers are no better than what they put in the car
originally, but it's possible things have changed. Anyoone know? If
they are no better than original, they are still useful when the
original ones have been ruined somehow.

The right ones, that bolt in properly, even. Yes, they cost abit more
than the ones that don't fit.

Who is talking about ones that don't fit? I've never bought a speaker
from Crutchfield that didn't fit just as the original one did, except
for one car. I knew from the specs printed in the catalog (before the
web) that it was too deep, but I hoped magic would allow me to get it in
there (or maybe I could pound out a dent in the outside of the door!).
Indeed, it was just the depth they said it was, and so was the hole in
my car and it didnt' fit. Hmm. I'm sure the dealer would have had
speakers that fit, but I don't know that they would have been any better
than what I had.

speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
is each unique?

Crutchfield. Very reliable. Very helpful on the phone with real
people. They're in Charlotte, Va. and I'm in Baltimore and I ordered
something and I wasn't in a hurry but I got it the next day.

They will likely have "universal" speakers and adapter brackets -
which usually work OK - - - - -

Have you dealt with Cructchfield. No speaker I ever bought from them
used an adapter bracket, and none would be called universal. Of course
a 6x9x2.8" speaker can univerally fit every car that accespts speakers
of that size, but that doesn't make the speaker universal.

I won't be replacing my current speakers. Solaras don't use speaker
cover, except maybe on the dash. So to upgrade my speakers I'd have to,
I think, take off my entire inside front door panel or my entire rear
seat panel. After the fiasco of my last car, I'm not going to do that.

They do sell radios that require a bracket, because the face is not the
same exact shape as the original, or because one is changing from 2 or
1.5 DIN to 1 DIN, etc. But I don't think that's related.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:56:03 +0000 (UTC), harry
newton wrote:

He who is Oren said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 12:33:32 -0800:

I'll defer to the expertise of others, but if you wiggle the wire does
the "scratchy sound" increase?

Perhaps a speaker wire connection is less than satisfactory. Ground
wire on the stereo needs to be checked -- maybe?

That's a good idea to wiggle wires (I haven't done speakers in years).
The car is at college

You must be so proud. My car didn't even finish the 6th grade.

so it only comes home to do laundry.

When it comes home, the neighbor will call me and I'll be ready.

What I'll do is:
a. Try to find a test speaker of about 20 watts
b. Make a set of jumper wires to jump one side to the other
c. Wiggle the wires to see if the speaker or the radio is bad

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Dec 2017 21:14:28 +0000 (UTC), harry
newton wrote:

He who is said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 16:11:14 -0500:

Does the 2005 Camry have a timing belt? Or chain?

.. depends on the engine that's in the car :

http://yourcarangel.com/2012/06/toyo...nd-chain-list/

http://yourcarangel.com/2014/07/inte...complete-list/

John T.

Thanks for that info as it's not my car.
This one is the 4 cylinder 2005 camry which, woo hoo, comes with a chain.

The neighbor is a good friend, but I don't think ANYONE is that good of a
friend to suffer through an idiotic belt replacement every 100K miles.

Is the kid helping you with the speaker issue? IIUC, he's just a 4th
century Greek sculptor scholar, not the actual sculptor, so he doesn't
have to protect his hands that much.

Three things I'll never own and never have:
a. FWD

I don't want FWD either, but the only convertibles I like come with it.

b. Timing belt

That's one of the disappointments of the new car. The 2000 Toyota
Solara had a 3.0L non-interference engine, but for some silly reason
they switched to a 3.3L *interference* engine in 2005. Believe you me,
I'd rather have 0.3L less. The only good part is that using
mycarfax.com I found that the previous owner replaced the belt and the
water pump only 40,000 miles ago. So I should be good for another
40,000 miles.

c. Automatic

I like automatic. I don't know what the 2005 Camry has, but this car
has a 5-speed auto, but instead of having Low, 2, 3, 4, they have one
other position where the shift lever will go down to down shift and up
to up shift, and 80% of the time I didn't take the Interstate to florida
or back and on some of the smaller roads the shift mechanism worked very
well for passing, which I did 3 or 4 times.

I've driven a stick for 4 or 5 days at a time, and that was fine, but
I'd be worn out if it was always.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 12/04/2017 10:50 PM, micky wrote:
AIUI, the dealers' speakers are no better than what they put in the car
originally, but it's possible things have changed. Anyoone know? If
they are no better than original, they are still useful when the
original ones have been ruined somehow.

Short of a volume limiter, I don't believe you can protect a speaker from a teenager.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Good morning Harry,

I'd suggest going to the Crutchfield web site:

www.crutchfield.com

or more specifically:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-sqOT5U...rselector.aspx

They have speakers that are an exact fit, starting around $40, and will
have correct hardware and they will have adapter cables as well, if you
need them.

Regards,
Tim

On 12/4/2017 8:14 AM, harry newton wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

newton wrote:

Three things I'll never own and never have:
a. FWD

I don't want FWD either, but the only convertibles I like come with it.

The main advantage to FWD is they can build a car cheaper. As for the
handling difference, 99% of drivers will never feel the difference,
especially on the 15 mph trip to the grocery store.

b. Timing belt

That's one of the disappointments of the new car. The 2000 Toyota
Solara had a 3.0L non-interference engine, but for some silly reason
they switched to a 3.3L *interference* engine in 2005. Believe you me,
I'd rather have 0.3L less. The only good part is that using
mycarfax.com I found that the previous owner replaced the belt and the
water pump only 40,000 miles ago. So I should be good for another
40,000 miles.

Never had one. If is a $400 to $600 planned maintenance that I'd rather
not have but I guess you have no choice at times.

c. Automatic

I like automatic.

I've driven a stick for 4 or 5 days at a time, and that was fine, but
I'd be worn out if it was always.

Same here. Stick is fun at times on the back roads twisting and
turning. Years ago, stick had many benefits but the new autos are more
efficient, fast shifting, and don't lose a lot of HP getting to the
wheels. Even high performance cars now have auto. We've come a long
way from the Chevy Powerglide 2 speed auto.

While it can be fun on the back road a few times a year. I don't see the
need to hold the clutch in at red lights or stop and go traffic. My car
even has "Auto Hold: for the brakes so I don't have to hold the pedal
down when stopped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

c. Automatic

I like automatic.

I've driven a stick for 4 or 5 days at a time, and that was fine, but
I'd be worn out if it was always.

Same here. Stick is fun at times on the back roads twisting and
turning. Years ago, stick had many benefits but the new autos are more
efficient, fast shifting, and don't lose a lot of HP getting to the
wheels. Even high performance cars now have auto. We've come a long
way from the Chevy Powerglide 2 speed auto.
While it can be fun on the back road a few times a year. I don't see the
need to hold the clutch in at red lights or stop and go traffic. My car
even has "Auto Hold: for the brakes so I don't have to hold the pedal
down when stopped.

For a fly & drive vacation in Ireland, earlier this year, I had to
make special arrangements for a rental car with automatic
transmission.
Manual transmission is standard - in more ways than one :-)
.... the extra cost for the automatic amounted to almost 1/3
of the total ! Insurance waiver was 1/3 ; rental 1/3.
Stupid little Skoda was "programmed" to shift like a manual
though - causing annooying jerks and delays.
I was glad to have it though - crazy narrow winding roads
provide enough excitement - combined with right-hand-driving
on the wrong side of the road ..
John T.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

I called the Toyota dealership and gave them the VIN where they told me
their price was $298 for a single OEM Pioneer 6x9 speaker + about $30 tax,
so, since I'll likely want to get a set, that would be $660 for the set.

You can find a Pioneer 6x9 speaker for a better price than that,
surely. If it fits the OEM -- why not?

Whereas you can get generic 6x9s from Parts Express for around $5 each,
for a total of $20 the set, and they probably won't be any worse than the
originals.
--scott

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 04:20:59 -0500, Jack wrote:

Short of a volume limiter, I don't believe you can protect a speaker from a teenager.

....Slowly raises hand. I could shake the pictures on the walls at
home. Once came up from the basement, after the stereo sound stopped.

Dang. A speaker was on fire. I threw it out the front door, in the
snow.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

harry newton posted for all of us...

I like the ideas of:
a. Testing with a separate speaker (if I can find one)

I like the idea of hooking a guitar amp up to a transistor radio speaker to
see how far the magnet flies.

--
Tekkie