Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
harry newton harry newton is offline

Default Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

He who is Clare Snyder said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:39:10 -0500:

Not "standard size" - they are often even different from mdel to
madel in a brand, or year to yrear in a model.

Thanks for all the advice - I haven't touched speakers in decades!

I like the ideas of:
a. Testing with a separate speaker (if I can find one)
b. Testing by jumping the wires (shouldn't be too hard).

At this point, I'm trying to figure out what size fits.

Here is a picture of the topside of the speaker when we replaced the grill:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker5.jpg

Here is the bottom underside in the trunk:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker6.jpg

The kid is at college so she only comes home to the neighbor sporadically
so I'm just lining up my ducks now.

Looking at the advice to call Crutchfield, they seem to be good and bad.
They were very helpful. 1.844.298.3430 About $50 for two speakers.

The problem is *every* speaker they have for the 2005 Camry doesn't fit.
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/Al...p=105&l=E&pg=1

The guy was helpful and said I had to make my own bracket. Huh? Why can't
it just bolt in? (I'm glad I asked because I didn't expect that.)

Amazingly, they have 200 speakers they say that fit, of three sizes:
5-1/4, 6-1/2, and 6x9 (I didn't think to measure it unforutnately)

I don't have the car in hand, but apparently there are three types:
a. With navigation (she doesn't have it)
b. With JBL audio system (I'll have to ask - probably not)
c. Without both of those (this is probably what they have)

I called the Toyota dealership and gave them the VIN where they told me
their price was $298 for a single OEM Pioneer 6x9 speaker + about $30 tax,
so, since I'll likely want to get a set, that would be $660 for the set.

I just can't pay that. Even for a nice neighbor's kid.
It's just too much.

Since Camelback Toyota in Arizona usually has the best prices, I called
them and they told me, from the VIN, that the radio is a "Fujitsu 10" and
the speaker part number is 86160-AA450, they sell for half that price, at
$300 for the set.
https://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota...er-86160aa450/

It's back to Crutchfield I go!