Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Dec 2017 08:29:51 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 11:20:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:

How do we debug a scratchy sound?
We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.
But is it the speaker? Or something else?

Interchange the wires at the speakers - you'll prove that it's the
speaker and not the stereo or wiring.
Pull out the bad speaker & look for a tiny tear - try fixing it -
http://www.300guitars.com/300s-tips/...speaker-cones/
or shop for a replacement.
John T.

Keep it simple - introducing more variables - such as a different
third speaker and its wiring .. etc just confuses the issue.
.. especially when a simple and straight-forward trouble-shooting
method is available.
John T.

So, it's not nonsense to use another speaker that may be available to
test, it's just that it's not *your* method. It may be easier and
simpler to use another speaker. Are the wires and connections to
the other rear speaker available or is further disassembly required?
Not unusual that you have to remove the speaker before you can get
to the wires. So now you have to remove the other speaker.
And even if you don't have to remove the other good
speaker, you almost certainly aren't going to just move the wires from
it to the other side to run the test. The wires typically are not
going anywhere. Given that, I don't think
it's nonsense to use another speaker which can be quickly connected
with some jumper wires to test. I have a few here that I could easily
use instead of pulling the other speaker out. If he wants to pull the
other one, fine. But it's clearly not nonsense to suggest using another
speaker.

Speakers for cars, last I looked, tended to be 4 ohms, while those for
record players (oops, stereos, or whatever they are called now) tend to
be 8 ohms. Perhaps this has changed but no one told me.

I don't think this difference is noticeable in the short run, and
certainly not if one is listening to one speaker at a time.

But I wouldn't install an 8-ohn speaker when all the others are 4-ohm.
OTOH, I'm sure you didn't mean to install it permanently since it would
be almost impossible to find one that would fit. You referred to
testing.

And John didn't give ohms as a reason for his statement.

BTW, the woofer in Toyota convertibles is I think meant to make up for
lack of bass when the top is down, so if I'm right and his is not a
convertible, it wouldn't have a woofer.

On my 2000, I didnt' know there was one until I removed the back of the
back seat for some reason. The speaker was disconnected, one of the two
voice coil wires** was cut, and the surround had mostly fallen off. I
bought a kit for $25 and redid the surround, suprisingly easy (check
with me on where I bought the kit, there are about three vendors and
they're not the same), I resoldered the cut speaker lead, and I plugged
the speaker in.

Voila, too much bass. I turned down the bass and still too much bass. I
think now the previous owner, a middled-aged woman, complained and so
they cut one of the voice coil wires, and it was still too loud so she
had them disconnect the whole thing. She was right. Then I bought a
new car and the 2005's woofer doesn't have the same problem. I turned
the bass down one notch and it's good now.

**I guess so it could play both channels without mixing them
electrically.