Posted to alt.home.repair

Default does anyone make a decent wiper blade?

the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 3:21:16 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

I came across a site that actually reviewed different brands. Perhaps this can help you? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/home-...-wiper-review/

[8~{} Uncle Wiper Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 1:41:25 PM UTC-8, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 3:21:16 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

I came across a site that actually reviewed different brands. Perhaps this can help you? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/home-...-wiper-review/

[8~{} Uncle Wiper Monster

That is a good honest site. I use Rain-X and depending on the weather if live where there is extreme weather hot & cold the wipers should be changed once a year. I keep the old pair as backup in my toolbox.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 16:20:57 -0500, songbird
wrote:

the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

Chuckle. I put Bosch on this past summer because the old ones had
torn. Here in the desert I seldom need to turn on the wipers but we
do get some occasional rain. The UV dries them out even with very
little use. I thought about keeping them in the trunk until needed
and put them on when it rains once in a blue moon. Snow country would
be very different. I can't win with cheap or expensive ones :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 4:41 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 3:21:16 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

I came across a site that actually reviewed different brands. Perhaps this can help you? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/home-...-wiper-review/

[8~{} Uncle Wiper Monster

I've used both the top two rated Rain-X and Bosch ICON. Both cleaned
the water well and lasted at least a year. I replace them about `2 to
`5 months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

songbird wrote:
the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

I came across a site that actually reviewed different
brands.
Perhaps this can help you? ?(?)?
https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/home-...-wiper-review/

[8~{} Uncle Wiper Monster

I've used both the top two rated Rain-X and Bosch ICON.
Both cleaned
the water well and lasted at least a year. I replace them
about `2 to
`5 months.

I'll second the Rain X, I've used the Latitudes for a couple
of years and will keep using them

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

I've used Rain-X and lots of Bosch ICON. But just recently I
purchased a pair of Good Year at Costo and quite frankly, so far
they'be been the quietest and cleanest "Wipe" I've seen for several
years. I paid $7.99 each at Costco and checked Amazon and they wanted
$34.95 a pair.

Just my $.02 worth
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/17 4:20 PM, songbird wrote:
the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

If you drive a Honda, buy blade refills from the dealer. Perfect fit,
very high quality, do a great job, last a long time.

--
Every time you're about to get angry with President Trump, think the
phrase: President Hillary Clinton!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 7:44:09 PM UTC-6, Wade Garrett wrote:

If you drive a Honda, buy blade refills from the dealer. Perfect fit,
very high quality, do a great job, last a long time.

If you buy the size designated for your auto, no matter the make
or model wouldn't you get a perfect fit?

I don't drive a Honda but I have used the RainX and Anco and
whatever brands on the market all did a good job, not great,
just a good job. They cleared the rain and that's all I asked
of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 6:48:38 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/31/2017 4:41 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 3:21:16 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

I came across a site that actually reviewed different brands. Perhaps this can help you? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/home-...-wiper-review/

[8~{} Uncle Wiper Monster

I've used both the top two rated Rain-X and Bosch ICON. Both cleaned
the water well and lasted at least a year. I replace them about `2 to
`5 months.

Bosch ICON wipers and Rain-X washer fluid. The wipers last a long time if
you don't have to use them, even when it rains. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 10:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've used both the top two rated Rain-X and Bosch ICON. Both cleaned
the water well and lasted at least a year. I replace them about `2 to
`5 months.

Bosch ICON wipers and Rain-X washer fluid. The wipers last a long time if
you don't have to use them, even when it rains. ;-)

That brings up another point. If you live in freezing areas buy the
premium fluid, Rain=X or Prestone. The cheap blue stuff does not work
very well when the temperature gets really low.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:34:10 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/31/2017 10:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've used both the top two rated Rain-X and Bosch ICON. Both cleaned
the water well and lasted at least a year. I replace them about `2 to
`5 months.

Bosch ICON wipers and Rain-X washer fluid. The wipers last a long time if
you don't have to use them, even when it rains. ;-)

That brings up another point. If you live in freezing areas buy the
premium fluid, Rain=X or Prestone.

I do and I do. Rain-X 2-in-1

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...9118958053.jpg

I never let them top off the washer fluid during an oil change.

Every Christmas there's a gallon of Rain-X 2-in-1 under the tree for
each "kid". That, and a renewed AAA card. It's a tradition. ;-)

The cheap blue stuff does not work
very well when the temperature gets really low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 22:34:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/31/2017 10:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've used both the top two rated Rain-X and Bosch ICON. Both cleaned
the water well and lasted at least a year. I replace them about `2 to
`5 months.

Bosch ICON wipers and Rain-X washer fluid. The wipers last a long time if
you don't have to use them, even when it rains. ;-)

That brings up another point. If you live in freezing areas buy the
premium fluid, Rain=X or Prestone. The cheap blue stuff does not work
very well when the temperature gets really low.

I never paid more than $1.89 for a gallon of washer fluid. Often
bought it for $.99. Never had a problem in -0 temps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

songbird wrote:

the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

The premium replacement wipers are Bosch Icon and Rain-X. My
experience with Rain-X wipers is they don't last long and are streaky.
The Bosch Icon are better but still only last six months or so.

The factory wipers on my Lexus lasted at least two years before I
bought a new pair and that was only because they were TWO YEARS old.
They were cheaper at the dealer than either of the other two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 2:21 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 1:41:25 PM UTC-8, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 3:21:16 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

I came across a site that actually reviewed different brands. Perhaps this can help you? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/home-...-wiper-review/

[8~{} Uncle Wiper Monster

That is a good honest site. I use Rain-X and depending on the weather if live where there is extreme weather hot & cold the wipers should be changed once a year. I keep the old pair as backup in my toolbox.

I use toilet paper to wipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 7:44 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 1/31/17 4:20 PM, songbird wrote:
the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

If you drive a Honda, buy blade refills from the dealer. Perfect fit,
very high quality, do a great job, last a long time.

GMTA, Wade. I was just about to comment on this thread. I use the
Rain-X on the Corvette (thanks for that link, Uncle) but the Odyssey and
CR-v just get the refills for the OEM Honda wipers. They work great and
are quite long lasting (so long as you don't turn on the wipers when
they they a frozen to the windshield ).

They see a fair amount of use here in the Chicagoland area and I still
get almost a year out of a set before I find it necessary to replace them.

Wade. . . I do my own minor stuff on the Honda and find excellent prices
and delivery times at www.myhondapartsstore.com

All OEM Honda parts and I'll buy three sets of blades at a time for both
vehicles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/17 9:53 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 7:44:09 PM UTC-6, Wade Garrett wrote:

If you drive a Honda, buy blade refills from the dealer. Perfect fit,
very high quality, do a great job, last a long time.

If you buy the size designated for your auto, no matter the make
or model wouldn't you get a perfect fit?

snip

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

The aftermarket manufacturer may specify his 18 inch long refill for
your ride- but your metal blade may actually be 17 3/4 or 18 1/8 long.
The refill width may be off a hair over/under from what yours actually
is- or the clamping groove configuration may be a bit different too.

Over the years, I've done OK with aftermarket refills on American brand
cars. But I've found Honda (and Toyota OEM) refills superior and used
them when I owned those makes of car.

As others mentioned, some car dealers sell OEM parts online at a good
discount. I usually buy my routine wear/maintenance items like wiper
refills, engine air filters, oil filters, crush washers, etc., from
them. But I always cheap-out at Walmart or Auto Zone for my cabin air
filter!

--
Have you ever looked into a mirror and thought€¦hell no, that cant be right
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/01/2017 02:37 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
I never paid more than $1.89 for a gallon of washer fluid. Often
bought it for $.99. Never had a problem in -0 temps.

I had one batch of the generic stuff that froze someplace on the way to
the read window washer but most of it has functioned well.

I used RainX on a truck windshield about 20 years ago and that
experience turned me off. It looked like the glass had a sheen of oil
when after i applied it and buffed it. There seem to be happy users so I
might try it again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/01/2017 05:12 AM, badgolferman wrote:
The factory wipers on my Lexus lasted at least two years before I
bought a new pair and that was only because they were TWO YEARS old.
They were cheaper at the dealer than either of the other two.

It never crossed my mind to buy wipers from the dealer but I've never
been back there since I bought the car. Nothing against the dealer, but
I find it more convenient to service my own vehicles. The wiper blades
usually come from the NAPA store up the street from my workplace.

The pita is they are different sizes and I have trouble remembering one
size. I've had two Yaris's and I also have to remember the right year of
the current one since the sizes changed during the model run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

songbird formulated the question :
the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

I paid over $15.00 for one blade two years ago. That's a big jump from
the early 70's were a single wiper blade was less than 5 bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-02-01, ChairMan wrote:

I'll second the Rain X, I've used the Latitudes for a couple
of years and will keep using them

Amazing how many different stories pop up. But, I feel I should weigh
in with my poor opinion of Rain-X.

I've had nothing trouble from my Rain-X stuff and would not recommend
Rain-X products in any form! I bought Rain-X blade refills and used
the gallons of Rain-X windshield washer fluid my late mom usta buy.
What I ended up with, in her low-mileage '91 Toyota mini-motorhome, is
blade chatter, most severe. The blades almost chatter completely off
the windshield on the rebound stroke, thereby rendering the wipers
almost useless during a heavy rainfall.

I've never experienced this phenomena, before. Ever! And I'm almost
70 yrs old and have owned/driven many car types/brands, over the
years.

Since I dumped all the Rain-X windshield washer fluid and will prolly
lose the blades, this Spring, I'm hoping the issue will be in the
past. Just using a different windshield washer liquid (no matter how
cheap) has reduced wiper "chatter", dramatically. I'm confindent
losing the Rain-X blades will eliminate the problem, completely.

I have no proof this is strictly a Rain-X problem, but none of this
was EVER an issue before I got those damn Rain-X blade refills.

BTW, sometimes cheaper 3rd party wiper replacements (not jes blade
refills, the entire blade assy) are no bargain. I once bought some
cheapo replacement wipers ('87 Honda Civic Hatchback S model), and
they allowed zero air-flow through the plastic wiper arm sections.
The entire wiper blade assy would lift completely off the windshield
at any speed above 65mph. I finally hadda buy some factory Honda
wiper assys, at 4 times the price of the cheapo's, to get wipers that
actually worked, properly.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

put new blades on after each ice season is over, i.e. in the spring

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-02-01, Wade Garrett wrote:

If you drive a Honda, buy blade refills from the dealer. Perfect fit,
very high quality, do a great job, last a long time.

Testify!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2017 06:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

I came across a site that actually reviewed different brands. Perhaps
this can help you? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/home-...-wiper-review/

[8~{} Uncle Wiper Monster

I've used both the top two rated Rain-X and Bosch ICON. Both cleaned
the water well and lasted at least a year. I replace them about `2 to
`5 months.

I have Rain-X blades on two different vehicles. I'm sure that one pair
is "Latitude," but I'm not sure about the other pair: they look
different, and I'm not sure which is which. The rubber of the driver's
side one on the 300M keeps sliding out of the arm little by little, and
I have to keep pushing it back in.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

songbird wrote:

the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

songbird

The ones from the dollar stores ($5)seem to last longer than
the big name brands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:

On 02/01/2017 05:12 AM, badgolferman wrote:
The factory wipers on my Lexus lasted at least two years before I
bought a new pair and that was only because they were TWO YEARS old.
They were cheaper at the dealer than either of the other two.

It never crossed my mind to buy wipers from the dealer but I've never
been back there since I bought the car. Nothing against the dealer,
but I find it more convenient to service my own vehicles. The wiper
blades usually come from the NAPA store up the street from my
workplace.

The pita is they are different sizes and I have trouble remembering
one size. I've had two Yaris's and I also have to remember the right
year of the current one since the sizes changed during the model run.

I bought the wipers from the parts counter and installed them myself.
They are silent, clean perfectly, fit perfectly, no big bulges where it
attaches to the arm, and all three cost $54.75.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 11:49:44 -0600
anon wrote:

It happens that Naturous formulated :
on 2/1/2017, supposed :

put new blades on after each ice season is over, i.e. in the spring

We seldom get snow here. Temp gets down in the teens sometimes, but
mostly in the 30's in early spring.

I read elsewhere that you have an s10. How could a like-minded s10
fan email you?

Eagleteca
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 9:45:54 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 02/01/2017 02:37 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
I never paid more than $1.89 for a gallon of washer fluid. Often
bought it for $.99. Never had a problem in -0 temps.

I had one batch of the generic stuff that froze someplace on the way to
the read window washer but most of it has functioned well.

I used RainX on a truck windshield about 20 years ago and that
experience turned me off. It looked like the glass had a sheen of oil
when after i applied it and buffed it. There seem to be happy users so I
might try it again.

FWIW, when I talk about using Rain-X, and liking it, I am not talking about the "apply it-buff it"
stuff.

I am talking about the Rain-X washer fluid that you pour into the washer fluid reservoir and
apply via the sprayers.

I too used the wipe on stuff years ago and I hated it. The washer fluid is a different story. Since
it is mixed with water, it doesn't build up or need to be buffed out. When the rainwater stops
flowing off the windshield, I just give it a few quick sprays and it's good to go. In most cases,
I don't even need the wipers at speeds above 40MPH. For road spray, the longest intermittent
setting is sufficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

On 02/01/2017 02:37 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
I never paid more than $1.89 for a gallon of washer fluid. Often
bought it for $.99. Never had a problem in -0 temps.

I had one batch of the generic stuff that froze someplace on the way to
the read window washer but most of it has functioned well.

I used RainX on a truck windshield about 20 years ago and that
experience turned me off. It looked like the glass had a sheen of oil
when after i applied it and buffed it. There seem to be happy users so I
might try it again.

I like the Bosch. Also some OEM rubber is good. Wiper life is one year
around here.

My impression of Rain-X also. I do not like Rain-X. One has to be going at
least 40 mph for it to work. It is also bugger to remove if unwanted-must
use soft scrub...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Naturous wrote:
songbird formulated the question :

the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced
mine last fall and already one has torn.

I paid over $15.00 for one blade two years ago. That's a big jump from
the early 70's were a single wiper blade was less than 5 bucks.

this set ran $10, so not too bad, but they seem
so cheaply made that they are designed to fail.

the other thing that bugs me is that i drive this
car so rarely that they've hardly had any use at all.

probably ripped when i lifted it up to get the ice
off the windshield, but i was careful. maybe not
careful enough.

thanks to everyone for the replies. i don't think i
can get refills now that i've changed the factory blades
out for replacements (and yes, by chance it is a Honda
will be 20yrs old this spring ) (ahem, the car, not
me). this was the first and only car i've ever bought
new. i still love driving it.

still collects mice in there too. very expensive
mouse trap.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob posted for all of us...

On 2017-02-01, ChairMan wrote:

[...]

I agree with everything here. Must use soft scrub to remove it.

BTW, sometimes cheaper 3rd party wiper replacements (not jes blade
refills, the entire blade assy) are no bargain. I once bought some
cheapo replacement wipers ('87 Honda Civic Hatchback S model), and
they allowed zero air-flow through the plastic wiper arm sections.
The entire wiper blade assy would lift completely off the windshield
at any speed above 65mph. I finally hadda buy some factory Honda
wiper assys, at 4 times the price of the cheapo's, to get wipers that
actually worked, properly.

See my other post. The Bosch IIRC have the vents.

Another thing to think about is that the arms can get bent using drive
through car washes and sloppy handling.

The best test is to pour a bucket of water over the windshield and if it
sheets the the glass is squeaky clean and to move on to further diagnosis of
the problem.

nb

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2017 9:46 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/01/2017 02:37 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
I never paid more than $1.89 for a gallon of washer fluid. Often
bought it for $.99. Never had a problem in -0 temps.

I had one batch of the generic stuff that froze someplace on the way to
the read window washer but most of it has functioned well.

I used RainX on a truck windshield about 20 years ago and that
experience turned me off. It looked like the glass had a sheen of oil
when after i applied it and buffed it. There seem to be happy users so I
might try it again.

Same here, but we are talking about the liquid. I was hesitant to buy
it, but was in need of fluid and that was the only one available. I was
pleased with it.

The blue stuff is cheaper, better than plain water, but can be a PITA
some days. The alcohol evaporates fast and leaves the water to freeze.
I've not used it since I tried the yellow Prestone a few years back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann posted for all of us...

If you buy the size designated for your auto, no matter the make
or model wouldn't you get a perfect fit?

Not necessarily they may be shorter or longer and made of inferior
materials. They are the makers 'equivalent'

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2017 9:52 AM, rbowman wrote:

It never crossed my mind to buy wipers from the dealer but I've never
been back there since I bought the car. Nothing against the dealer, but
I find it more convenient to service my own vehicles. The wiper blades
usually come from the NAPA store up the street from my workplace.

I used to do my own work but quit some years back. I never went to the
dealer for service until my last two cars. The dealer is cheaper than
the dedicated oil change shops and they wash the car too. They
sometimes have a special and put wiper blades on cheap too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/01/2017 01:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am talking about the Rain-X washer fluid that you pour into the washer fluid reservoir and
apply via the sprayers.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I don't remember ever seeing
Rain-X fluid but I'm about due for a new jug so I'll look for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/01/2017 10:57 AM, badgolferman wrote:
I bought the wipers from the parts counter and installed them myself.
They are silent, clean perfectly, fit perfectly, no big bulges where it
attaches to the arm, and all three cost $54.75.

For $54.75, I'll stick with NAPA, thank you.iirc it was about $20 for
both sides.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:

On 02/01/2017 10:57 AM, badgolferman wrote:
I bought the wipers from the parts counter and installed them
myself. They are silent, clean perfectly, fit perfectly, no big
bulges where it attaches to the arm, and all three cost $54.75.

For $54.75, I'll stick with NAPA, thank you.iirc it was about $20 for
both sides.

I have a SUV. Three wipers that lasted two years.